How do you learn a new character?

Or even furthermore, how do you learn new things about your main character?

Do you take notes? Do you practice day in and out? Command Training to Combo Challenge and then ultimately Free Training?

Let's share our methods.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Or even furthermore, how do you learn new things about your main character?

Do you take notes? Do you practice day in and out? Command Training to Combo Challenge and then ultimately Free Training?

Let's share our methods.
My answer may be too much for this forum to handle. To be on the safe side, I prefer answering on a PM.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I usually find the character's moves that fit in certain criteria.

1. Crushes (Leifang 3P+K, Ayane 4P, Gen Fu 3P, etc.)
2. Spacing (Kokoro 214P, Ayane 3H+K, Mila 4H+K, etc.)
3. Good stun extension for each hit level (stuff like Kokoro 9P, Gen Fu 3P, Leifang 3P, everyone's P, etc.)
4. Any reset throws (Gen Fu 214T, Mila 6T, Kokoro 236T, etc.)
5. Any parries (Leifang 3H, Gen Fu 3H, Hitomi 9H, etc.)
6. Launcher or launcher equivalent on each level (Kokoro 7K, Leifang stun/CH 64P, Sarah 3P+K, critical bursts, etc.)

Then I learn juggles, setups, and gimmicks. Then I'll learn the matchup specific tools and strategies against each character (but mostly characters that I hate, like Gen Fu). Then I'll go through the command training every once in a while and make sure I'm not forgetting about a move that could have a use in certain situations.

So say I wanted to learn Leifang. I'd learn that 3P+K, 1P, 66K, 9KK, and 6H+K are good crushes, that K2K is a passable spacing tool, that P, 3P, and 3K are good stuns on those level, that she has no reset throw (outside of her terrible neutral throw without doing the followup), that 3H, 9H, BT 1H, BT 7H, and 4P+K are parries, and that 64P, 8K, and 66K are good launchers. That alone, even without real juggles, setups, and matchup info, is enough to play the character at a passable level.

MajesticBlue

Pretty much. Learning a character is kinda like plug and play after a while. Find the most generic and watered down way as you rely on fundamentals. Then add in all the unique stuff character specific stuff as you go along. Most of the time I look for mid and deep stuns as a start. After figuring out there fastest moves and strongest throw. Hell just learning your fastest mid launcher and strongest throw can get you far.

With the frame counter at our disposal it really helps a lot with understanding the game. Learn them frames.

Rawbietussin

I mostly do my own stuff at Free Training. Command Training is helpful if you want to get acquainted with the moves a character has on their arsenal.

Combo Challenges are impractical because you can pretty much formulate better combos on your own in Free Training.

Brute

Standard Donor
I just find random fuckers on the internet and try and bait them into doing stupid shit so I can izuna drop their dumb ass.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
If you like, I can do a live stream on this topic (after france tho,)
I can teach everyone the process I go through with learning a new character and constructing my video in order to maximize potential with that character :)

Argentus

I just pick a character, do a test run match, check all standard command inputs to get a feel for them on a fundamental level, then I do q run through command training first thing, everytime i start up the game, as a warmup to refresh memory and muscle memory of their moveset, slowly adding moves into my usual playstyle.

GovTD

I just pick a character, do a test run match, check all standard command inputs to get a feel for them on a fundamental level, then I do q run through command training first thing, everytime i start up the game, as a warmup to refresh memory and muscle memory of their moveset, slowly adding moves into my usual playstyle.
Basically this. Knowing all the moves your character can do can really aid in the development of learning a character as a whole. I believe that knowing simply what a character can do from the neutral game is actually oodles more important than what combos they can do. Because knowing what moves they can pull off and knowing exactly what each move will do will help with the overall outcome of the match in your favour far more than knowing a couple good combos, because you can't really pull off a combo if you keep getting poked and spaced to hell and back.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD