How to change Side Step

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The biggest complaint is the sidestep itself, at least according to the interview that sparked this thread.

and reasons why I feel it's a red herring, causing the developers to focus on areas they shouldn't be focusing on just because the ignorant are many and have a loud voice together.

Brute

Standard Donor
and reasons why I feel it's a red herring, causing the developers to focus on areas they shouldn't be focusing on just because the ignorant are many and have a loud voice together.
Ironically, that comment is a red herring.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Why couldn't we have DOA2/3 mechanics with better controls? Whats far more problematic to me than the simplfied SS is how the supers autoparry and how I gotta respect someone just because they have full meter even when I got them near a wall and in stun. There has been more than a few times when I was knee deep in someones ass and they mash super and I gotta watch a cutscene and my offense is all fucked up as a result.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
There are some things such as shallow hit invincibility which can be added to the SS fixes, but so far, I think it's still too early to start changing the system.

WAZAAAAA

got yet another detail

You can technically beat 2SS with non-tracking strikes because the first active frame has no side step status
https://gfycat.com/ClosedBountifulGalapagosdove
https://gfycat.com/UncommonFalseFirecrest
but it's not really gonna happen since the timing has to be frame perfect and the move has to deal more than 30 base damage which is a lot imo in order to "trade-beat" it

BUT
Brad Wong and Honoka (because she stole his animation) have the only 2SS in the game with side step status on their first active frame (so the 2 clips I posted previously don't work on them)

EDIT: fixed with a patch

ALSO
while testing some random setups with it, me and @AlexXsWx found something weird going on
https://gfycat.com/TepidUniqueArgentinehornedfrog
first of all, Rig is not supposed to beat the side step strike here because he only deals 22 points of damage. So it has to be caused by hitbox shenanigans... but it gets weirder because it doesn't happen always
that clip is stance AND side step direction dependent. So 2SS and 8SS are behaving differently wtf is happening

Last edited:

Kuga

"that clip is stance AND side step direction dependent. So 2SS and 8SS are behaving differently wtf is happening”
Im not suprised here. Raidou have unholdables that are the same way. I think its matter of 1st hitframe connnecting.

NightAntilli

Honestly, I don't think there's a way for Team Ninja to fix this. The way this has been implemented is so amateurish in the first place... How can I expect them to fix it? The whole mechanic needs a full overhaul, probably.

Raansu

Honestly, I don't think there's a way for Team Ninja to fix this. The way this has been implemented is so amateurish in the first place... How can I expect them to fix it? The whole mechanic needs a full overhaul, probably.

All they need to fix atm imo is the issue with tracking moves getting stepped and they need to remove pushback on block so that -15 actually means -15. I'm not in favor of making major changes to a mechanic in one fell swoop because we might just end up with DoA5's step which while wasn't terrible, it wasn't great either because it was EXTREMELY situational. I'd rather they tweak certain things first.

NightAntilli

All they need to fix atm imo is the issue with tracking moves getting stepped and they need to remove pushback on block so that -15 actually means -15. I'm not in favor of making major changes to a mechanic in one fell swoop because we might just end up with DoA5's step which while wasn't terrible, it wasn't great either because it was EXTREMELY situational. I'd rather they tweak certain things first.
There isn't a huge difference between DOA5's SS and DOA6's. The startup is slightly different, and the side step attacks are different. That's it. If you leave out the side step attack in both DOA5 and DOA6, it's practically the same sidestep mechanic.
DOA5's SS was underpowered, and DOA6's is overpowered. Well... Maybe overpowered is not the best word, but it's too easily abused. I do not know how they can balance it. Basically I've already proven that the side step attack can basically be counted as a 'second' sidestep, and that's what increases its evasion. Sidestep alone without the attack is just as bad/situational as in DOA5.

Technically, I think they meant for the SS to be a strong but high risk move, considering Fatal Rush is a direct counter to sidestepping with potentially very high punishment damage, or, baiting the waste of meter.

CrayRaven

Side step feels a awful like the one in Virtua Fighter 3. I really don't have a problem with it.

P.S

Looks like they might of nerfed it with this patch that just hit.

Last edited:

Akumasama

Allright so the new change to Sidestep arrived and hit like a truck.
I think Sidestep probably needed some tweaks but I feel like in most situation most players had already adjusted their playstyle to suit the new game meta of DoA6 (that is making better use of tracking attacks), granted that worked better with some characters than with others, but still, I don't think it was THAT broken in the end.

Binding it behind Break bar though sounds like going from one side to the other of the spectrum, it feels like it's too much.
Also it has the annoying side effect of making break bar management even more relevant than it already was and personally, given how I don't like bars like that in 3D games to begin with, I can't say I'm happy with it.

It's a bad game design idea imho. It's like they're saying behind the lines "Ok Sidesteps are broken and we have no clue how to balance them up so we're binding their use behind a consumable bar".
Cheap design, it's like they're taking the easy way out from something they didn't want to bother too much solving in the "right way".

Oh well, no use complaining. Things won't change again anytime soon, if ever. Time will tell how the player base will adapt to this.

Akumasama

Nothing really, just a hunch. If it took them this much to do such a (big!) change to Sidesteps, they will want to see how it works out with the public over a certain amount of time. At least as much as they've taken from release 'til now. But given how summer is behind the corner, I don't see them doing anything to sidestep before September.
By then people might have stopped complaining/whining and they might simply decide to leave things as they are.

Some people in this thread are happy I bet. Someone actually made the exact suggestion of making so Sidestep would require a certain amount of break gauge.
Personally I hate these gauges mechanics, and as long as things were as simple as DoA6 launch (100/50, just Break Hold and Break Blow) it was an acceptable compromise.
Furtherly complicating things with yet another move that requires gauge and splitting the gauge in 4 is... I dunno, more than I'd like it to be.

I will of course keep playing and enjoying DoA6, but I can't say I consider this a change done in what would be the "best" way. It just sounds like a cheap/fast patch, done wrong.
I still think Sidesteps weren't all that powerful to begin with, granted I can acknowledge something had to be done.
More than anything this all sounds like TN bending over to please the whiners, if you ask me.

NightAntilli

I haven't played this game in weeks... But... How much gauge does it use? If it uses 1/4 it might be fine. But if it uses half of it for every sidestep, that's way too much.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD