How To Deal With Constant Turtling?

Dave

I've just about had it with this so called 'strategy.' I use Sarah, and she is not very good for long range. I don't really think that's an issue, as I've seen it happen with other players as well. What I am asking for is how do I combat it? I'm tired of being ahead in the match just to be beaten out by turtling... even by high ranked players.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Of course you can fight a turtle... use an ice spell, it works wonders on both amphibians and reptiles.

In fact, play in the EotE stage. Turtles tend to freeze up in that stage by an unsuspecting low stun on counter hit. Be careful against them ninja turtles though, they be some clever pizza-munching mofos. And for the love of Team Rocket, do NOT let Kasumi bring out that Magikarp and splash that vortex... it's super-effective.

I also have another tip, but it's probably not very helpful. Open up the opponent's defense with guard breaks or throws and get a feel of how the opponent reacts to you up close. If they like to fuzzy guard (block and evade standing throws simultaneously throught a crouch dash) and/or use a high/low crush in anticipation of the height of your attack or throw, prepare to defend or respond to it another way available when you're up close.

I'm not a Sarah player, but I'm sure with the right help (and a little willpower of your own), you'll be able to adapt to the effective turtling strategy over time. Not to mention, you have frame traps galore. People play differently - some smarter than others - so don't expect to be a god overnight or anything, but you'll make progress with an honest effort, I promise.

Doug Nguyen

I hate turtlers too, turtlers dont even do combos ever!! They just do those one hit attacks that knock you far back, so they can turtle more. I just go full rush down on that bitch strategy and dont give them time to even turtle.

Dave

Thank you for the responses. I guess it's pretty much common sense, but I just thought I'd ask. I usually just charge at them all the time, but I thought maybe there was another approach. :)

bingsoo

Some characters are designed to turtle, especially against someone like Sarah, so obviously it's important that you stay in their face. However, I suggest poking in before blindly rushing. Turtles stay defensive for a reason - frame disadvantage, slower moves, good spacing tools, etc. If you just charge in, they're going to sidestep you or space you out and whiff punish. Stay patient and inch in while poking. If all they do is just turtle you out the whole damn match, then your best bet is to get a life lead and turtle back. The wall is your friend. Free step around and corner them.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Its not that simple...
Turtles are looking for 2 things ...
- whiff punishes
- negative frames from your moves to hit back

Pro turtlers tend to hold up-back in order to walk back and block while being able to avoid highs and mids .. but they are still vulnerable to lows.

You being a Sarah player do have a few tools to close the gap from a good distance.
- 2H+K is a great tool. it opens up the opponent for stun.
- 3KK .. and 3KKH to enter flamingo.. but I would just test things out with 3K since it only puts you at -5
- 66K is also great ... and if you get a far wall slam from it .. do another 66K to slam them back into the wall.
- you also have your forward slide stance (66P+K) or any of the variants leading to it ... like 6KP6 or 6P+KP6 .. etc. when opponents see you running towards them they may attempt a punch to punish you ... thats when u press 4 and get them with her sabaki backward slide. and if you can read it correctly you can get them with the faint stun as well by pressing P+K .. that guarantees your 3P+K launcher :)
- 4K is safe as hell .. and great to get into flamingo with massive frame advantage for frame traps

another thing you can do is Run into Throw .. scares the shit out of some people ..
or ... run into sidestep, chances are a turtle will just want to spit out a poke of their for counter hit ..

now all this is very nice for most the cast. But there are some characters that are far too strong from a distance. Lisa comes to mind. with Lisa u need to be aware of her flow. Lisa is slow but alot of her moves put her at very minor disadvantage, which tempts the lisa player to attack from disadvantage sometimes... for characters like Lisa, Ayane, Brad .... stick to your mids .. and avoid doing too many highs because these characters have good crushes ...
Also, go for your fast mids .. 6P and 6K are your best friends ...
dont try to trow them too much, unless you get a strike cancel throw with sarah .. those are always yummy and i find them less risky.
beware of lisa and brads offensive holds ...

characters with parries like Leifang, Bayman, Gen Fu, Eliot will want to use their mid parry whenever they can ... keep your eye out for them and punish with a throw for high counter damage when you get the chance or a high or low stun starter .. or better yet go straight to launch ... you can do a mid as well if you have enough experience in hitting a hold/parry in its recovery frames.
another thing to be aware of is that these parry happy players would usually attempt their parries when a string ends them at a disadvantage. (hitomi's love that anti punch parry)

now if you see a player that just loves to press a button after you hit them ... use your plus frame moves ... 4K , P+K , P , 2P (on hit) .. 6P+K3PK (causing GB)

6P+K3PKH is another great way to enter flamingo since the 2nd hit is a mid P .. it also starts stun .. so if they try to crouch ... that thing will stuff them .. if not .. you're in flamingo and you can play with them .. or just press 4P+K n you recreate the space .. to bait them to press something ..

It really depends on alot of things but I hope this gives your some ideas :)

Dave

Its not that simple...
Turtles are looking for 2 things ...
- whiff punishes
- negative frames from your moves to hit back

Pro turtlers tend to hold up-back in order to walk back and block while being able to avoid highs and mids .. but they are still vulnerable to lows.

You being a Sarah player do have a few tools to close the gap from a good distance.
- 2H+K is a great tool. it opens up the opponent for stun.
- 3KK .. and 3KKH to enter flamingo.. but I would just test things out with 3K since it only puts you at -5
- 66K is also great ... and if you get a far wall slam from it .. do another 66K to slam them back into the wall.
- you also have your forward slide stance (66P+K) or any of the variants leading to it ... like 6KP6 or 6P+KP6 .. etc. when opponents see you running towards them they may attempt a punch to punish you ... thats when u press 4 and get them with her sabaki backward slide. and if you can read it correctly you can get them with the faint stun as well by pressing P+K .. that guarantees your 3P+K launcher :)
- 4K is safe as hell .. and great to get into flamingo with massive frame advantage for frame traps

another thing you can do is Run into Throw .. scares the shit out of some people ..
or ... run into sidestep, chances are a turtle will just want to spit out a poke of their for counter hit ..

now all this is very nice for most the cast. But there are some characters that are far too strong from a distance. Lisa comes to mind. with Lisa u need to be aware of her flow. Lisa is slow but alot of her moves put her at very minor disadvantage, which tempts the lisa player to attack from disadvantage sometimes... for characters like Lisa, Ayane, Brad .... stick to your mids .. and avoid doing too many highs because these characters have good crushes ...
Also, go for your fast mids .. 6P and 6K are your best friends ...
dont try to trow them too much, unless you get a strike cancel throw with sarah .. those are always yummy and i find them less risky.
beware of lisa and brads offensive holds ...

characters with parries like Leifang, Bayman, Gen Fu, Eliot will want to use their mid parry whenever they can ... keep your eye out for them and punish with a throw for high counter damage when you get the chance or a high or low stun starter .. or better yet go straight to launch ... you can do a mid as well if you have enough experience in hitting a hold/parry in its recovery frames.
another thing to be aware of is that these parry happy players would usually attempt their parries when a string ends them at a disadvantage. (hitomi's love that anti punch parry)

now if you see a player that just loves to press a button after you hit them ... use your plus frame moves ... 4K , P+K , P , 2P (on hit) .. 6P+K3PK (causing GB)

6P+K3PKH is another great way to enter flamingo since the 2nd hit is a mid P .. it also starts stun .. so if they try to crouch ... that thing will stuff them .. if not .. you're in flamingo and you can play with them .. or just press 4P+K n you recreate the space .. to bait them to press something ..

It really depends on alot of things but I hope this gives your some ideas :)

THANK YOU! What an awesome post!! :)

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I usually just try to bait them into whiffing. If they are bluffing then I would just rush them down.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD