System How to know exactly how long a stun last? And what kind of stun can not be held?

Low-pitched_Ala

So I have tried to search this question's answer use the search function in this board, but I have not found a exactly answer I need, so I decided to post a new thread here.

I know there are couples kind of stun , and they also looks last different length of time. So how to know exactly how long a stun last? Does the "advantage" in the first page of the move details tell you how long a stun last?

Another questions is what kinds of stun if opponent gets can not be hold and/or SE? I know some sit down stun has a guaranteed follow up even if opponent SE. And some stun is not SE possible and holdable, for example, the stun when opponent gets while they hit by the obstacles,can not be hold or SE.As for Limbo Stuns and faint stun, although they can be SE, but can they be hold? Also after the opponent SE, can they hold in sit down stun?

Last edited:

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
So how to know exactly how long a stun last? Does the "advantage" in the first page of the move details tell you how long a stun last?

Yes. It shows how many frames the stun will last. In general, the higher the advantage is, the harder will it be to escape from it. If you have a follow up move that will reach the opponent and will hit within a frame window that is at least two frames less than the stun advantage on fastest stagger escape, it is most likely guaranteed to hit.

Another questions is what kinds of stun if opponent gets can not be hold and/or SE? I know some sit down stun has a guaranteed follow up even if opponent SE. For example, the stun when opponent gets while they hit by the obstacles,can not be hold or SE.As for Limbo Stuns and faint stun, although they can be SE, but can they be hold? Also after the opponent SE, can they hold in sit down stun?

Being able to hold in stun depends on the stun type itself and the advantage the opponent will get from it. The latter is different for each stun and character so you have to check it in the training mode. As reference for how the different stun types look like, you can check out this video made by @Allan Paris:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/media/doa-stun-types.6874/media

And to give you a little, written down summary about the most important characteristics of the different stun types:

Lift stun - Usually gives you a high amount of advantage, meaning these are very deep stuns. Follow-ups cannot be hold if no slow escaping is done. Even with slow escaping, the hold will come out late.

Crumple stun - Nothing special, follow-ups can be countered. Sometimes, follow-ups that are highs will miss due to the stun animation.

Falling crumple stun - Like the crumple stun, but the opponent will fall to the ground if no follow-up is done.

Trip stun - Caused by lows, offers a moderate amount of follow-ups which usually can be all avoided on fastest slow escaping.

Stagger stun - Nothing special here.

Faint stun - Cannot be slow escaped and follow-ups cannot be hold. The stunned player will fall to the ground if no follow-up is done but the options are limited due to the animation.

Limbo stun - Cannot be slow escaped and follow-ups cannot be hold due to being backturned. However, as soon as the angle is a bit off (meaning the agressor is not directly in his opponents back), it might be possible to counter out of it. Otherwise, the stunned player will fall to the ground if no follow-up is done.

Sit down stun - In general, follow-ups can be slow escaped and then blocked or countered. However, some characters like Hayabusa also have sit down stuns that guarantee unholdable follow-ups.

Slip stun - This stun is caused by lows that will hit on counterhit on slippery surfaces like ice or water. It cannot be slow escaped and follow-ups cannot be countered. Available options for moves that can be used as follow ups are usually very limited due to the stun animation.

Face stun - Nothing special here, the amount of frame advantage from the stun is moderate. Countering or slow escaping is possible.

That's about it. I wrote this out of my mind so if you or anyone else notice something incorrect, just tell me and I'll change it our cut it out. Hope it helps you.

Last edited:

Allan Paris

@ToKyo PewPew

Stagger stuns are special. In most cases they lead to guaranteed attacks/launchers, and if for certain characters it does not do that. It is a ridiculous amount of pressure they can apply after them.

Face stuns are also really good. Since only highs cause them, there lies the problem with them. Other than that, reacting to holds from them are easy because the attacks that cause them you usually recover quickly so you can anticipate and react better to your opponent's defensive options.

Lulu

I think those are all the important ones.

No wait.... what about Non-Critical Stuns (Regular Hit Stun) ?

Allan Paris

Now those are not good. Some of them can be Slow Escaped to the point where the defender can beat out the offender with particular attacks. It does not give the offender much leverage like the other stuns.

KING JAIMY

I have a few questions about stuns as well.

How do you call the type of stun where the opponent runs away either front turned (e.g. after Kasumi's 6H+K or Jann Lee's 8K) or back-turned (e.g. Momiji's 9K or Jacky's 44K)? Also, a common characteristic of lift stuns is that if you do the same lift stun move two times in a row, it causes a launch (e.g. after Kokoro's 9P or Rig's 9P). Why is that?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I have a few questions about stuns as well.

How do you call the type of stun where the opponent runs away either front turned (e.g. after Kasumi's 6H+K or Jann Lee's 8K) or back-turned (e.g. Momiji's 9K or Jacky's 44K)? Also, a common characteristic of lift stuns is that if you do the same lift stun move two times in a row, it causes a launch (e.g. after Kokoro's 9P or Rig's 9P). Why is that?

1) It's called a Stumble or Stagger stun by us, but the stuns don't really have official names (at least released).
2) Any time you hit the same move twice in a row in one critical stun combo you cause an instant threshold termination. You can't extend the stun by doing the same move twice basically. Now, you can say do something like Jann Lee's 9P then hit with his Sidestep P because those count as different moves even though they're the same animation.

WAZAAAAA

2) Any time you hit the same move twice in a row in one critical stun combo you cause an instant threshold termination. You can't extend the stun by doing the same move twice basically. Now, you can say do something like Jann Lee's 9P then hit with his Sidestep P because those count as different moves even though they're the same animation.
Actually, Hayabusa can extend a stun using the same animation over and over again with 44P, since it's a multi-hit move.
zGTyHn6.gif

Don't mind me, I'm just gethering some intel for a future thread.

AlexXsWx

You can see duration of a stun on 2nd page of opponent's "move details". Stun the opponent and check for "crit. hold interval". First number means for how long he can't hold, second number matches with duration of the stun. Also check the same stun with opponent's "stagger escape" option set to "fastest".
Keep in mind that this duration starts right after the active frame that landed, and your advantage is lower because of rest active frames and recovery frames.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD