How's the netcode so far?

mpgeist

Standard Donor
The netcode has been fine for me, but I can't find any ranked matches. In 3 days of trying I've only found one and I even opened it up to any connection, any region. Even to the last day of DoA5 I was getting matches way more often than that.

synce

I remember when DOA5+ came out nobody could find ranked matches either, they thought it was a glitch but I didn't hear about any patches...

Probably no one's getting paired up in 5U because of that retarded "avoid last player" setting. What kind of a rank system is built around avoiding and refusing players?

Another thing to consider is the connection filter. It's totally inaccurate, so if you set it to 4+ you're avoiding 1 bar connections that are probably less laggy than some 5 bars.

TheTHCGamer

Netcode has been solid for me in the very few matches I've played and its not in par with VF5FS/TT2 however I feel its improved over DOA5. I had a one bar connection match which only had slightly noticeable lag which is pretty damn good in my opinion. I definitely need to play more online though to get a better idea of how good the netcode really is.

So far so good though.

Sixmsj

Haven't played any lobby matches yet but Ranked matches are a little random. Can be 3 bars with no hitches or 4 bars with some graphical lag.

Wish they showed actual pings instead of these dumb bars...

Reactions: d3v

qoodname

I have no idea whats up with the netcode but its hella weird. Im always having horrible input lag regardless of who im playing. The bar rating is always at 5 in the lobby and as soon as the character select screen shows up its somewhere between 3-1 even with the people i always played vanilla with without any lag at all. I really dont know whats up with that but its pretty much unplayable for me. I even played some vanilla again just to check if its laggy aswell but its fine as always. I have no idea whats up with the game/netcode but i dont see me playing it much longer if it stays that way...

Princess Kasumi

I have no idea whats up with the netcode but its hella weird. Im always having horrible input lag regardless of who im playing. The bar rating is always at 5 in the lobby and as soon as the character select screen shows up its somewhere between 3-1 even with the people i always played vanilla with without any lag at all. I really dont know whats up with that but its pretty much unplayable for me. I even played some vanilla again just to check if its laggy aswell but its fine as always. I have no idea whats up with the game/netcode but i dont see me playing it much longer if it stays that way...

i totally agree with you.

TheTHCGamer

After spending more time with the game online its hit and miss. The game itself in my opinion is great and is crazy fun to play however the netcode should be better than what it currently is. Lets be real its 2013 even though online play will never be on par with offline play there needs to be higher standards for online play. The way I feel about it is this a game as great as DOA5U deserves a better netcode.

People might get the wrong idea of how the game plays due to its netcode and that's why its important in my opinion to have the best netcode as possible for a fighting game. I said it when DOA5 was released TN should've asked sega for support on how they implemented the netcode for VF5FS. Then again we also need to have a little patience because a possible patch could slightly improve the netcode and how the game plays in general.

People will bring up the excuse of well theres nothing you can do if you and your opponent have a terrible connection. That or theres nothing you can do when your opponent has terrible internet however those are the exact reasons why you want the best netcode you can have when your developing a fighting game. I personally wish everyone in the world had the highest speed internet and played on a wired connection however that's not realistic.

The best thing a developer can do to alleviate the issue of lag is implementing an great netcode. Were lying to ourselves to think a good majority of players wont be spending there time online. With a great netcode its also a great practice grounds for offline play. It can also keep the community alive longer for a particular fighting game and help with sales. If people stop playing the game due to its netcode there go all DLC sales or if word of mouth gets out a game isn't up to snuff online then potential buyers might skip the game.

Once again though before some of you start being so negative lets see if a patch will improve how the game plays online. Lots of developers release patches that improve a games netcode or improve the games online features like finding matches faster. Keep in mind that the games been out a few days and just what it has to offer for right now if the online play is discouraging you.

Unlock costumes for example or you know fuck it learn a new character. Heres another idea comes to sites like FSD and discuss aspects of the game instead of just sitting there being frustrated. I also think about the bright side yes the netcode isn't where I want it to be but the game is so damn fun that I want to play it regardless. Guess shit could be worse we could have a game that's a turd with an amazing netcode.

RoboJoe

I really hated vanilla DOA5's netcode enough that I dropped the game. So far it's looking better, though the numbers still don't mean shit. I had a 1 bar today that almost felt like offline.

d3v

I know of someone from South America on SRK who plays folks from the US with no problem.

Cla

Standard Donor
Team Ninja has acknowledged how difficult it is to find matches. They added this to the Information Bar on the Main Menu:

"Trouble with matching for solo ranked fights? Try raising the min. opponent strength or switching the match type to tag. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are working to address this issue."

I don't understand how raising the minimum opponent strength will help. Wouldn't that narrow down the possible matches to even less players? Also, that's weird that apparently this issue is affecting mostly Solo. It's definitely true that I find Tag matches way more often than Solo. Is it really that there are that many more people playing Tag, or is there something bugged about the way this game searches for Solo matches? Either way, I really wish this game gave you the option to search for both Solo and Tag at the same time.

Kritoth

All I know is I still have a shit connection(according to the game) and it is aggravating because I don't feel right asking anyone to train with me to help improve (I need a lot of help) because I know my connection will foul with any important advice or experience I might gain. (Not having a mic doesn't help matters.)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD