Characters I am not impressed...

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
I am honestly not impressed by Team Ninja's decisions on character creating for Dead or Alive.
What are they thinking making another Kasumi?

We don't need more Clones, stop with the Clones!
I've been playing this game for like 15 years and it's exactly the same story every single game from DoA 2 onward.
It's ridiculous.

You want to revamp characters, why hasn't MIST cloned Radou, Shiden, Tengu, Genra. These are all great characters to play around with. Take them apart, rebuild them, experiment, call them something different, whatever you got to do to put money in your pocket.

Forgive me for being so bold, I love DoA :)

Darkton93

So... all of two, maybe three clones of the same character means the roster is flooded with clones? Who knew?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Personally I took a bow when I saw Kasumi Alpha. I agree that Tengu and Raidou should have been first for DLC contenders, but when I watched Kasumi Alpha go in I was very impressed with what I saw.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a character just because she is a "clone." A lot of fans have requested Kasumi Alpha and Team Ninja has delivered an intensely awesome looking character that could be great for Kasumi and Alpha 152 players looking for something different.

I am also pretty confident that this character isn't going to be easy to master, but I suppose we will have to wait and see for the final product.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
I'm not quick to dismiss a character, I'm just saying "why make more Kasumi's, when there is plenty of other characters/villains to play around with."

I just want variety, it takes the fun out of the game when you have 4 characters that have been branched off from the same tree and repackaged into something "new" for everyone. It's not fair to the other players.

I'm not quick to jump into something if I haven't looked at from different perspectives. It's just becoming a money grab, and it's lame. (sorry to say)
I am still going to continue playing DoA and love it for as long as I can, but Team Ninja is totally taking advantage of it's customers.
It may seem like I have so many complaints, though I'm just frustrated with the fact that they only look at it from one point of view, Kasumi.

Yes, she IS the main character, and everything revolves around her because this is a game about girl martial artists, I get that, but the guys in the game shouldn't be a minority. How many costume packs have you seen for all the girls in all sorts of costumes, and what about the rest?
All seasonal, once a year promotions.

Team Ninja is actually quite ruthless when it comes to these things.

Show me some grit. Give me a sense of showmanship.

Last edited:

TaijiMonk

I agree with you goken. I've been playing since just before doa4 came out. Since the one guy left, they should have more freedom to make a more well-rounded game and I think doa 5 is a step in the right direction with more realistic looking characters this time (especially the faces). I could do with more costumes for the male characters, and more character development. Also, a different story angle would be nice. I think the whole clone thing has been beaten into the ground. Doa5 Ultimate really should have been Doa5. They got it right the second time around. But hey, when you can split it up over 2 games, more money for them, huh? In the end, it might be hard, but we should contact the developers and let them know what we think, and if they don't listen, let them know by not buying the next game.

With that said, doa5 is the best game in the franchise IMO. Here's hoping 6 will be even better

David Gregg

@Legendary Goken I agree that I wasn't to thrilled when I saw her reveal either. But I must say I am impressed with her trailer and the more technical aspect of her playstyle. Also in TN's defense she was shown at the end of 5's credits to "tease" fans of a new fighter to expect (whether it be 5U or 6).

The good news is there are still new characters on the way. If you really like Tengu I say join: Project Tengu Revival and help us with our cause and advocate the winged fighter. ;)

project revival.png
project revival.png
project revival.png
project revival.png
project revival.png

Brute

Standard Donor
Phase 4 is no more evolved from existing Kasumi than Hayabusa from 3 to 5U. No one would argue that we should add DOA3 Hayabusa into DOA5 with some teleport flashes and call it a brand new character. This is no different. Phase 4 shouldn't be taking up a brand new character slot. A few of her things look nice and pretty, but they easily could have been divvied up among the existing roster. I know a lot of you got a hard on from the Phase 4 gameplay footage because apparently you didn't think there were enough silly teleports in the game as is, but that doesn't change the fact that the novelty of cloning Kasumi wore thin a long time ago.

That said, if they wind up making Tengu as one of the promised DLC characters after Phase 4, I don't care about their inclusion of Phase 4. I see normal Kasumi plenty enough both online and offline. I'm quite adjusted to having that stingy bitch tossed in face face all the time. Phase 4 is just another face (j/k, it's the same old face again) in the horde. But if Team Ninja includes her and they do not include Tengu as well, you can bet your ass I'll be upset.

MasterHavik

People blowing their nuts over phase 4 never played SSBM before. A lot of smash loved that game but knock it for all the fucking clones in it.

Rawbietussin

Although, I would have to agree that cloning Kasumi for the 3rd time gets overplayed and repetitive, the cloning level in this game isn't as acute as lets say... Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein back in Dreamcast.

dreamcast-40989-41326238616.jpg

Every character on the top part of the roster basically have counterparts that uses the same moves and weapons underneath them.

David Gregg

People blowing their nuts over phase 4 never played SSBM before. A lot of smash loved that game but knock it for all the fucking clones in it.

lol I know right? Smash (and I'd argue even melee) are the biggest offenders of clones. Then there's TTT2....

Rawbietussin

But the TTT2 "clones" have more fun in general...

Some of them happens to drastically evolved from being a palette swap in their former selves with the same moveset/gameplay like Anna and Lee/Violet who was pretty much Nina and Law.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Meh, palette swaps have been done in fighting games since the Street Fighter II days. I honestly don't see anything wrong with have alternate version of characters already in the game. Street Fighter has done it, King of Fighters has done it, Tekken is still doing it, and so is DOA. I don't see what the big deal is. Team Ninja already gave us Marie Rose, who has a unique fighting style. Phase-4 will be a nice change of pace for Kasumi players and those who main Alpha-152, but are tired from suffering with its drawbacks (lack of wake-up kick, featherweight, no damaging holds). I'm sure Marie Rose took awhile to develop and you saw how long we had to wait for her to come to consoles. At least with Phase-4, they already had the model in place, but they just gave it a new fighting style. Hence, we probably won't have to wait long for Phase-4 to come to consoles.

MasterHavik

Meh, palette swaps have been done in fighting games since the Street Fighter II days. I honestly don't see anything wrong with have alternate version of characters already in the game. Street Fighter has done it, King of Fighters has done it, Tekken is still doing it, and so is DOA. I don't see what the big deal is. Team Ninja already gave us Marie Rose, who has a unique fighting style. Phase-4 will be a nice change of pace for Kasumi players and those who main Alpha-152, but are tired from suffering with its drawbacks (lack of wake-up kick, featherweight, no damaging holds). I'm sure Marie Rose took awhile to develop and you saw how long we had to wait for her to come to consoles. At least with Phase-4, they already had the model in place, but they just gave it a new fighting style. Hence, we probably won't have to wait long for Phase-4 to come to consoles.
those are other games and people have gotten tried of clones a long time ago. Tekken, and Sf get knock for it still. also Marie Rose while unique didn't move the meter at all and is quickly being found out to be mediocre at best. She is just a gimmick character. Phase-4 won't do anything and just please the kasumi and alpha mains and that's pretty much it and really won't move the meter. Both her and Marie Rose have just been super meh tier when it comes to appeal. I mean there is reason why games like mk and smash go out of their way to make everyone different design and gameplay wise.

MasterHavik

Apparently decent speed, incredible safety, guaranteed damage, sit-down stuns, good mix-up and admirable damage off of quick launches are "gimmicks" now.
And she can easily blown up by anyone faster than her. also how is she getting all..like I said all she is some characters that seems to be where all her animations seen to be more complete than her damage and such. She does no damage btw. I'll stick to a change that can dance and do damage. Btw...SR and hoodless can tell you more why marie rose isn't all that.

btw..whoever made her throws...has been watching too much shouen anime..i swear man.

also her roll is free as fuck. I can just throw out 4k and I get sitdown stun.

Brute

Standard Donor
And she can easily blown up by anyone faster than her.
Faster than a 12 frame mid isn't all that common. Most people are 13 framers, with some odd 12 frames dashed in. The only "faster" characters are Kasumi, Christie, Pai, Sarah, Jann Lee and Gen Fu.
Plus, you should be cautious tossing out those fast highs/mids due to her rondo, similar to how you play yomi against LF.

She does no damage btw.
lol

Btw...SR and hoodless can tell you more why marie rose isn't all that.
The way you quoted SR is very important. On FB he said "why she isn't all that" which is a very open-ended assessment. Basically what he means is that she isn't joining the top hierarchy that is sweeping tournaments. That doesn't mean she's trash.

Not that I'm going to blindly follow whatever SR says without thinking about it for myself or anything, but that's another issue.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD