I Am The Shadow... The True Self... [General Discussion]

Lulu

1) They would probably just say no and give up

I know this all too well. :(

2) if they say yes then I'd babysit them through it and they ruin it for me

I actually have a theory on how to Bypass both these problems..... but its notoriously difficult to execute.

So my cousin wants to play DoA but I know if he plays me and loses alot he will lose interest..... and thanks to my Friends I also know that people would prefer learn at their own pace rather than doing the tutorial. They learn through Trial....... thats it..... they don't learn through trial & error. Its just through trial.... I know.... It's weird.

So my cousin has got his friend, and they're both Scrubs... so they just play each other, hopefully that sort of friendly rivalry would inspire them to head into training mode looking for Tech (if you can even call it that) to one up eachother.

I don't know if this is practical since we only did this over one weekend but I do know neither of them walked away in utter contempt after it was all over since they are roughly the same skill level. They get to have a fun back and forth.... leaving their interest for DoA intact.

If they played me then I would either have to hold back or gimp myself somehow or I would completely destroy them.... I once beat Bongoleena 10 times in a Row, he got so mad he tried to sabotage my juggles by shoving me mid combo.... obviously it didn't work.... my Ninja Skills are just too awesome. ;)

As a side note:
I may not be great at DOA but i don't have to be to enjoy the game. At times I'll get pissed at losing but Ill still enjoy it. (Id enjoy it more if i had a main but we aren't going on about that now) Imo this game is underrated.

Its the only game where I can fun despite losing. In other Fighting Games, Usually its either one or the other.

No one has even heard of DoA in my area. Its all about mortal kombat apparently
Down here its all about Tekken and Street Fighter.... and the people who like them don't actually know how to play them.....its all about Spamming Hadokens and Killing with Flashy Ultras.

I think its crazy how I stumbled upon DoA..... It was an Impulsive Purchase I made based on a Review in a magazine that didn't think it was particularly good...... obviously they were wrong. ;)

Last edited:

CrudeRaven

I actually have a theory on how to Bypass both these problems..... but its notoriously difficult to execute.

So my cousin wants to play DoA but I know if he plays me and loses alot he will lose interest..... and thanks to my Friends I also know that people would prefer learn at their own pace rather than doing the tutorial. They learn through Trial....... thats it..... they don't learn through trial & error. Its just through trial.... I know.... It's weird.

So my cousin has got his friend, and they're both Scrubs... so they just play each other, hopefully that sort of friendly rivalry would inspire them to head into training mode looking for Tech (if you can even call it that) to one up eachother.
/QUOTE]
And i think I know what you mean. I do that to keep noobs from leaving the lobby immediately. People give up too easy if the lose too hard. But I use to get mad too before. Never left though. Always got kicked... We all had to start somewhere amirite?

Lulu

I actually don't mind the VF Characters being harder to execute moves with but why are Phase 4 and Raidou a pain in the ass ?

Chapstick

Phase isn't a pain in the ass except her PL challenge imo since the timing is so precise with the microdash and Kasumi being either too high for tenfu P to hit or too low for tenfu T to connect. Her tag one can be tricky too because it's a lot to remember.

Raidou's tho. Ugh. But I'd probably be saying that's easy too if I was capable of doing 62(3P) lol

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@Lulu I actually find Jacky and Phase 4 to be the harder characters to initiate a starter for potential (though this is still difficult talk because I am unsure if some of the posts is speaking on playing within the net or away from the net in terms of difficulty). Between the two, I find Jacky to be much harder simply because he has a move that requires to be on hit yet the command for it has to be a held direction [6], into the kick, +3 on block, and it's a fast launcher. Without this/dropping this, Jacky is practically near Ein's level (serious here), aside from the unstaggerable setups and a +1 jab. Least with Phase 4 you are granted portion of damage even if the combo drops because you can still improvise with what she has. DOA is a fast paced game with a easier buffering system that allows the game to be playable even on pad, though some moves for leniency (Jacky FSK) isn't exactly there to get it right (you are relying on luck for proper input doing his stuff playing on the net, whereas with Phase there is a small bit of leniency on hitting P+K for teleport, you'd have to get a really not so great net battle to drop teleports).

Raidou can actually be played without the electrics since he does meaty damage everywhere granted the player is good that can play without it. If anything, it's more of a recommendation for one to learn those electrics yet optional.

Akira is hard execution all around since he's a reward character, most of his inputs is physical (your button placements) since his moveset don't rely on 'on-hit' timing (except for two but he can win without them).

Last edited:

Lulu

DOA is a fast paced game with a easier buffering system that allows the game to be playable even on pad,

THANK GOD !!! VF's one is way way worse and Street Fighter is just a heaping pile of Frustration !

Least with Phase 4 you are granted portion of damage even if the combo drops because you can still improvise with what she has.

Raidou can actually be played without the electrics since he does meaty damage everywhere granted the player is good that can play without it. If anything, it's more of a recommendation for one to learn those electrics yet optional.

Akira is hard execution all around since he's a reward character, most of his inputs is physical (your button placements) since his moveset don't rely on 'on-hit' timing (except for two but he can win without them).

Perhaps..... but I honestly can't stick with Any character unless I can do everything with them. Win or Lose I don't ever want to walk away from a fight wondering if I could have squeezed more damage out of each exchange if I had learned the more difficult moves. Its all or nothing.

I haven't mastered Jacky's FSK's or Phases Teleports but I got an 80% success rate with them.... I've done every maximum damage combo I've seen done with these Characters atleast once... LoL.... I don't particularly like playing either of them but I've sunk countless hours in the Dojo with and it's just hard to drop something I put a lot of effort into...

On a different note.... I have a semi reliable method for pulling Hayate's Raijin...... if I can get it to work atleast half the time then I'l add him to my Arsenal. :)

Lulu

DOA is a fast paced game with a easier buffering system that allows the game to be playable even on pad,

THANK GOD !!! VF's one is way way worse and Street Fighter is just a heaping pile of Frustration !

Least with Phase 4 you are granted portion of damage even if the combo drops because you can still improvise with what she has.

Perhaps..... but I honestly can't stick with Any character unless I can do everything with them. Win or Lose I don't ever want to walk away from a fight wondering if I could have squeezed more damage out of each exchange if I had learned the more difficult moves. Its all or nothing.

I haven't mastered Jacky's FSK's or Phases Teleports but I got an 80% success rate with them.... I've done every maximum damage combo I've seen done with these Characters atleast once... LoL.... I don't particularly like playing either of them but I've sunk countless hours in the Dojo with and it's just hard to drop something I put a lot of effort into...

On a different note.... I have a semi reliable method for pulling Hayate's Raijin...... if I can get it to work atleast half the time then I'l add him to my Arsenal. :)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The only moves I have trouble with using Phase is her P+K teleport and her P6P one, although it doesn't hinder me since I never use them anyway. I noticed with her teleports us that her 3P+K~K is probably her hardest one to land for most players, although for me it's relatively easy, her 7K one is slow but very easy and her other ones are fairly similar.

Even with Raidou(Yes I have a low key pocket Raidou but I haven't used him since early LR era) his move set is simple and I just ignore his EWGF, it's a rewarding move and I know I'm missing out damage but I don't feel like I truly need it. His OHs are enough me XD

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The only moves I have trouble with using Phase is her P+K teleport and her P6P one, although it doesn't hinder me since I never use them anyway. I noticed with her teleports us that her 3P+K~K is probably her hardest one to land for most players, although for me it's relatively easy, her 7K one is slow but very easy and her other ones are fairly similar.

Even with Raidou(Yes I have a low key pocket Raidou but I haven't used him since early LR era) his move set is simple and I just ignore his EWGF, it's a rewarding move and I know I'm missing out damage but I don't feel like I truly need it. His OHs are enough me XD

It shouldn't be a big problem on it due to extra lenient buffering. It only becomes a problem if you are playing on a really shitty connection. Jacky on the other hand, connection can be pure random and it'll drop even if it's slightly good. That's actually sad considering his addition. They should of picked someone else that doesn't involve on hit timing from a 'held' direction move on a DOA game. Team NINJA isn't going to improve DOA's net (certainly not DOA5LR).

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It shouldn't be a big problem on it due to extra lenient buffering. It only becomes a problem if you are playing on a really shitty connection. Jacky on the other hand, connection can be pure random and it'll drop even if it's slightly good. That's actually sad considering his addition. They should of picked someone else that doesn't involve on hit timing from a 'held' direction move on a DOA game. Team NINJA isn't going to improve DOA's net (certainly not DOA5LR).
I mean I can do the move but I only get the EWGF about 2/10 each time I attempt it XD I'm using him in training mode atm trying to get it down tho

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD