System I don't think I understand this game.

d3v

My point is more this.

If someone wins with a low tier character, the win is mostly credited to the player.
But if someone wins with a high tier.character, the win is mostly credited to the character, not the player.

Like in mvc. Someone wins with stormsentwhatever, people its just chalked up to "well they picked those characrers, what do yku expect".

Generally speaking, of course.
To quote from the good book (i.r. Sirlin's Playing to Win).
The game only knows winning and losing.
Many scrubs have strong ties to “innovation.” They say, “That guy didn’t do anything new, so he is no good.” Or “person X invented that technique and person Y just stole it.” Well, person Y might be one hundred times better than person X, but that doesn’t seem to matter to the scrub. When person Y wins the tournament and person X is a forgotten footnote, what will the scrub say? That person Y has “no skill” of course.

At the end of the day it's the winners who are remembered. Look at MvC2, Justin Wong is often called "God" in that game because he was hands down, the best player in the world. He also used arguably the best team in the game (Storm-A/Sentinel-Y/Cyclops-B), yet no one blamed him of using tiers to win. Same with just about the rest of the top MvC2 players (Sanford, Yipes, Clockw0rk, NEO, Duc, etc.)

It's the same for other games. Look at SSFIV, nobody dismissed Fuudo for winning EVO 2k11 because he used the best character in the game (Fei Long).

Heck, there are times when people actually use sub-optimal teams and characters that they do get called out. Look at what happens whenever Chris G brings out his Phoenix Wright team. He actually gets called out for either collusion or disrespecting the tournament organizers/spectators for not playing optimally at the tournament. Heck, the EVO Championship Series even has rules against that.

RiBu

WTF is critical level? Is it just how close you have them to being able to be bursted?...

Brute

Standard Donor
WTF is critical level? Is it just how close you have them to being able to be bursted?...
Basically. It's more complex than that, but it's how deep they are in the stun threshold, which affects launch height. You can gauge critical levels with the move details in training.

d3v

Certain normals/strings will put your opponent in "critical state" or "critical stun". The deeper they are into this (the more times you get hits in), the higher you can launch them. As for Critical Burst, you can only do this when they're at max threshold - when the "Critical Stun" indicator is glowing red.

Argentus

To quote from the good book (i.r. Sirlin's Playing to Win).

At the end of the day it's the winners who are remembered. Look at MvC2, Justin Wong is often called "God" in that game because he was hands down, the best player in the world. He also used arguably the best team in the game (Storm-A/Sentinel-Y/Cyclops-B), yet no one blamed him of using tiers to win. Same with just about the rest of the top MvC2 players (Sanford, Yipes, Clockw0rk, NEO, Duc, etc.)

It's the same for other games. Look at SSFIV, nobody dismissed Fuudo for winning EVO 2k11 because he used the best character in the game (Fei Long).

Heck, there are times when people actually use sub-optimal teams and characters that they do get called out. Look at what happens whenever Chris G brings out his Phoenix Wright team. He actually gets called out for either collusion or disrespecting the tournament organizers/spectators for not playing optimally at the tournament. Heck, the EVO Championship Series even has rules against that.

You are forgetting something.

Those guys are the best. It honestly doesn't matter who they pick.

I'm talking about the fgc as a whole. Online, offline, tourney, casual. Just citing the winners of the top tournament in the world doesn't mean much since that level of play is not relevant to most people. It doesn't factor in or apply, because people dont play at that level.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Wait, so if I go to a tournament, and let's say I use the character I enjoy using is the only one I know how to play, yet isn't a top-tier/high tier character, I would still be accused of collusion?

I'm confused now.

d3v

You are forgetting something.

Those guys are the best. It honestly doesn't matter who they pick.

I'm talking about the fgc as a whole. Online, offline, tourney, casual. Just citing the winners of the top tournament in the world doesn't mean much since that level of play is not relevant to most people. It doesn't factor in or apply, because people dont play at that level.
If you aren't able to deal with people picking top tier at low levels, then you will never even begin to be able to deal with them as you move up to higher levels of play.

One of the core principles of the FGC is that there's really no separation between the top players and everyone else. There's no us or them. Everyone is welcome as long as they're willing to learn and play.

Last edited:

RiBu

Works for me...told my bro this, but he wouldn't believe it until forum people said so....

Awesmic

Standard Donor
One of the core principles of the FGC is that there's really no separation between the top players and everyone else. There's no us or them. Everyone is welcome as long as they're willing to learn and play.
Could've fooled me. It doesn't seem that way most of the time.

d3v

That's mostly because of the influx of new people who seem to have this "pro" vs. "casual" mentality. That's something that comes from other eSports communities and certainly not how things were back in the day.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that you shouldn't judge based on online interaction. The heart of the FGC is still in the face-to-face offline interaction between the players. The FGC is one of the friendliest, closest knit groups of people you'll ever have a chance to be part of once you get to know them offline.

Last edited:

RiBu

Haven't you been to offline stuff Awesimic.................................................................................

Were your experience with the people at those events/session negative?

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Haven't you been to offline stuff Awesimic.................................................................................

Were your experience with the people at those events/session negative?
You have no idea.

I know what you're getting at, but it isn't like that. Each community is playing the same game as their peers, and a common interest is a common interest. Ppl are much better offline, and everyone has fun playing their game regardless. And also, this ain't DOAC; these forums are more "accommodating."

I wouldn't mind hearing your experiences tho.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Majority of the players who play this game is trash so it's hard to learn from a bunch of mindless idiots who don't know shit about fighting games. Glor if you still need help with things on this game just hit me up on skype I have more time to help and is more than willing to.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD