Ideas for someone to main?

Right now the only character I know is Hitomi, and I love playing the pressure game on opponents. However after playing over about 2000+ matches with her I've grown tired of her a bit and want to give some of the other characters a chance.

Is there a female fighter who's also good with pressure and has a lot of options?
I know should just try it on my own, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options at hand.

JKT

I think Helena's pressure is amazing because she can be confusing to fight with her bokuho stance, which has lots of options imo. I think you may like Helena a lot, although to me she has TOO many options lol. Try her out in command training, and see for yourself ^_^.

Vigoorian King

She's got one of the best mix-ups in the game. Good amount of launchers, throws in Bokuho and when in BT, a lot of different follow-ups in strings. Pretty good lows and crushing magic with Bokuho 22. I guess I still forgot about some of her tools.

Timasty

Pai has like 5 throws & 5 holds giving some good pressure. How about you try her. She's hella fun to use, but isn't a very easy character to learn though.

I think Helena's pressure is amazing because she can be confusing to fight with her bokuho stance, which has lots of options imo. I think you may like Helena a lot, although to me she has TOO many options lol. Try her out in command training, and see for yourself ^_^.
Yeah, I see what you mean about too many options. Weird going from Hitomi to Helena for me.
I'll try Helena for now, thank you for your input.

Aspect

I personally would main a new character and stick with it until people stop playing them. Seems to be the trend from what I've seen. Not sure if the Marie Rose flood is over yet

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Mila has a hitomi-ish feel to her. Plus shes a grappler .. having and OH tool in your arsenal is alot of fun.

I think Mila would fit best. :)

Watch my combo vid on her.. it might inspire you; )

Rapham0n

I'm also looking for a character with good pressure. Reading through this thread you guys have convinced me to give Helena a try.

Anyway, my thoughts on the other characters:

-Mila: way TOO straightforward if you ask me. It's like the developers all got together in a small room and one guy said: "Let's create a "character for DOA dummies". And out came Mila. I'm pretty sure you could use one hand and still get stuff done with this character. Don't get me wrong, she's a nice character, but her extreme straightforwardness makes her get boring really fast.

-Christie: for me this is a tough one. On one hand I love almost everything about this character. On the other hand there is 1 thing that really really bugs me about her. That silver hair. For me it's such an obscure colour to have for hair that it's actually off-putting. Every time I want to use this character and every time I see that silver hair I just think: "Ah hell NO!" I really wish the developers added in an option to change hair colour.

Last edited:

Argentus

I'm also looking for a character with good pressure. Reading through this thread you guys have convinced me to give Helena a try.

Anyway, my thoughts on the other characters:

-Mila: way TOO straightforward if you ask me. It's like the developers all got together in a small room and one guy said: "Let's create a "character for DOA dummies". And out came Mila. I'm pretty sure you could use one hand and still get stuff done with this character. Don't get me wrong, she's a nice character, but her extreme straightforwardness makes her get boring really fast.

-Christie: for me this is a tough one. On one hand I love almost everything about this character. On the other hand there is 1 thing that really really bugs me about her. That silver hair. For me it's such an obscure colour to have for hair that it's actually off-putting. Every time I want to use this character and every time I see that silver hair I just think: "Ah hell NO!" I really wish the developers added in an option to change hair colour.

Okay wait.

1). How dare you. Mila is straightforward, efficient, and practical, and unlike virtually every other character, I never get bored of her precisely because of that. And her inputs may not be complicated, but that doesn't mean she's brain dead easy. The catch to straightforward characters is that theres no gimmick to exploit. You have to just actually get good with them (unlike, say, ninjas, who launch with every jab)

Most gimmick she has is her feints, which aren't as gimmicky as say, Zack's or Christie's Marie's.

2). While I'm not gonna fault you for disliking hair colors (I prefer dyed brunettes over blondes)it's not really obscure coloryou can get that with dying, think its called....platinum blonde or something?

Brute

Standard Donor
Straightforward means they are simple and intuitive to pick up and use efficiently and their gameplan is approachable. Rachel and Gen Fu are straightforward, whereas Brad Wong is not. Mila falls in the middle of these characters.

Mila is very good due to the insane amount of tools she possesses. This allows her to be very versatile and excels in almost every area of the game, with numerous strengths and few weaknesses. If someone knows how to apply these from using different characters who posses similar abilities, it may appear to be straightforward.

Mila can be considered a very, very gimmicky character in addition to having very solid fundamentals.

The ninjas do not launch with every jab (obviously). Hayabusa only has 2 NH punch launchers, and both are unsafe mids.

Last edited:

Argentus

Straightforward means they are simple and intuitive to pick up and use efficiently and their gameplan is approachable. Rachel and Gen Fu are straightforward, whereas Brad Wong is not. Mila falls in the middle of these characters.

Mila is very good due to the insane amount of tools she possesses. This allows her to be very versatile and excels in almost every area of the game, with numerous strengths and few weaknesses. If someone knows how to apply these from using different characters who posses similar abilities, it may appear to be straightforward.

Mila can be considered a very, very gimmicky character in addition to having very solid fundamentals.

The ninjas do not launch with every jab (obviously). Hayabusa only has 2 NH punch launchers, and both are unsafe mids.
Okay yeah, I simplified a bit. Mila is an iconic jack of all stats.

Hayabusa my complaint stems more from his bullshit tetris maneuver teleports. When I say ninjas, I mean the 5 girls. Hayate is excluded because he's hayate.

But....I wouldn't call mila gimmicky. Solid and versatile, yes, but as she doesn't rely on one thing, it doesn't become a gimmick.

That said I abuse the hell out of her beatdiwn every chance I get like ryu does his Izuna. Not because I need to mind you, but because I love to lol. Not the tackle though, just mounting downed enemies...

Brute

Standard Donor
Hayate is excluded because he's hayate.
An odd reason to be excluded.
When I say ninjas, I mean the 5 girls.
I would note that most of Kasumi's launchers are actually kicks and not punches, let alone jabs.
Ayane is really the one that consistently punch-launches you. An argument could be made for Momiji as well, though.

But....I wouldn't call mila gimmicky. Solid and versatile, yes, but as she doesn't rely on one thing, it doesn't become a gimmick.
As I said, she has solid fundamentals and gimmicks. Just because she is not forced to rely on them does not make them any less gimmicky.

Argentus

An odd reason to be excluded.

I would note that most of Kasumi's launchers are actually kicks and not punches, let alone jabs.
Ayane is really the one that consistently punch-launches you. An argument could be made for Momiji as well, though.

As I said, she has solid fundamentals and gimmicks. Just because she is not forced to rely on them does not make them any less gimmicky.
...nothing to really argue with that, except

A). Hayate is worthless. His name is an anagram of "Hate Ya".

B) fair point on the kasumis though id bundle kicks in as jabs for them due to sheer speed. Its not like when Leon/mila/brad try a kick or anything.

More I think about how like 85% of her moveset is geared towards following up with her beat down, I'll have to concede that Mila can be gimmicky. Not is, but can be.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD