In defense of DOA6

Macca Beam

Most people are criticizing the game because it's an unfinished product. No lobbies and missing classic intro/win poses is a big oof.
some criticisms are fine, although "wrong reasons" would be things like WHERE ARE MY BEE KEE KNEES, NO MIJI NO BUY and all the brain deficiency in that "doa4 was better" thread
also i personally prefer new intros/outros as long as they're the same in quantity

werewolfgold

Don't defend this game. lol

The gameplay is...decent. I have a few nitpicks with it, but it seems more streamlined than the stun system in 5. However, it's a downgrade in one too many ways otherwise. No team battle, no tag battle, no lobbies, graphical errors with hair, weight painting, textures, navels, UVs, going through stage walls and more, bad lighting, in-game unlock glitches, etc. Hell, I've had the game CRASH on me before.

The game wasn't ready to come out yet. They can and are fixing some of this stuff after the fact, but...why would it be after the fact? Why do people have to wait until May for copy-pasted win poses? And what type of contempt must they have for their western audience to not even allow them individual costume purchases this time around, with no plans to change it? Koei Tecmo pushed this game out long before it was ready and they're actively trying to screw people over. There should be consequences for that.

I wanted DOA6 to do well. But, it has to be a competent product first.

Who wants to bet that the lobbies are gonna be glitchy as hell we get them tomorrow? lol

Edit: Welp, the lobbies won't have text chat or the multi match function. That'll be added later. I don't know how they couldn't at least get text chat to work.

Last edited:

prototypetom

It's hard to say what's best to prioritise when the schedule goes awry - and delay isn't an option (apparently).

Arguably for many of us here (but not all i'm sure) we would have preferred time was invested in lobbies and game modes from launch which would have given us a more satisfying crucial first few weeks with the game.

But I doubt we're the majority of sales (or at least shouldn't be!) and causal players need that story mode to make the purchase seem worthwhile. It kinda helps with presentation in the media too, frame advantage and triangle systems as talking points are a bit niche for all potential sales.

Obviously things haven't been ideal, i've had some anger towards the game myself. But the BIGGEST issue with the game imo, is frustratingly one that wasn't out of their hands - and that's the communication and effort to ingratiate/placate the fanbase with added value. Its been a struggle to retain good will when - while mistakes and delays happen, we're also hit with titanic season passes, frustrating DLC policy and the devaluing core fighters release process. This is all possibly more in KT's hands rather than TN of course, I'm guessing.

But TN isn't free of responsibility. I'd make no bones about it - the story mode in DOA6 is trash. YES it comes with the territory, and in context of FG historically its perhaps not that terrible - but objectively, its really weak. It just about does all it needs to do, but it's a painfully wasted opportunity - a FG with a fantastic SP story mode could REALLY draw in new players (and we do have some great characters to work with!). That said, just on a personal level I'm glad they don't invest time in it - but I'm buying the game regardless. To me the story mode is indefensible - it just doesn't need to be defended, not with apparently stretched resources.

To their credit I think we have the best technical player development features in any FG I've played. Its a great basis to build on. If only the marketing hadn't been such a clusterfudge and we had more people finding that out for themselves.

I love the game. I'm looking forward to them implementing the new/late stuff it needs to flesh it out more. And i hope they start rewarding my financial investment in it a bit more, because atm i'm dropping money on DLC because it might help the future of the game more than because i want the DLC. (****ing wedding dresses?!?! still can't even)

Some play-to-earn DLC would really help right now - seeing how they've added the system that would support it.

I do miss team battle though.

Shining_Wave

I'd be more inclined to buy a DLC mandatory costume bundle if I could choose my own character costumes to bundle together. Kinda like choose your own 6 pack of beer.

Sexy Momiji

Don't defend this game. lol

The gameplay is...decent. I have a few nitpicks with it, but it seems mroe streamlined than the stun system in 5. However, it's a downgrade in one too many ways otherwise. No team battle, no tag battle, no lobbies, graphical errors with hair, weight painting, textures, navels, UVs, going through stage walls and more, bad lighting, in-game unlock glitches, etc. Hell, I've had the game CRASH on me before.

The game wasn't ready to come out yet. They can and are fixing some of this stuff after the fact, but...why would it be after the fact? Why do people have to wait until May for copy-pasted win poses? And what type of contempt must they have for their western audience to not even allow them individual costume purchases this time around, with no plans to change it? Koei Tecmo pushed this game out long before it was ready and they're actively trying to screw people over. There should be consequences for that.

I wanted DOA6 to do well. But, it has to be a competent product first.

Who wants to bet that the lobbies are gonna be glitchy as hell we get them tomorrow? lol

Edit: Welp, the lobbies won't have text chat or the multi match function. That'll be added later. I don't know how they couldn't at least get text chat to work.

I will defend any game that I don't think deserves the hate it gets, and this is one of them. Once you get past the few technical issues, like the ones you pointed out, it's a pretty decent game.

Look, I have nothing against people who don't like the game. I was really just throwing my opinion in on the matter.

RagnorRob

My own experience since release tells me it's got fun mechanics and allows some fun moments but it's not a complete game. I would discourage people from buying this as it is now; not defend this game to anyone.

My personal opinions summarized:
Character Selection: 7/10 - Core is there, felt they released a standard roster but didn't try to stand out from competition. Feel they tried to achieve the minimum to move the game more than create a lasting work that fans will long fondly remember.
Character Visuals: 8.5/10 - characters look pretty; some odd textures and clipping but still one of the best out there.
Stage Selection: 6/10 - a few pretty ones; poor selection, some are not visually appealing at all -- all of this makes it easy to get bored. Again it feels like they tried to release the minimum necessary and didn't try to create anything memorable.
Story: 3/10 - Terrible; a few character family relationship reveals but goes nowhere and feels like a filler episode in a TV series already bloated with filler episodes.
Later-added-updates: glad they are added but why wasn't this in at launch? I don't even care about the lobbies. I enjoy the win poses though and I'm frustrated it's taking so long to add even this
Starting costume selection: Okay. Good for some women but very weak selection for men. Not as much fan service as expected-not counting this against them but I do hope the DLC keeps a very sexy trend
Costume unlock system: 1/10 - awful. It's been adjusted to allow unlocks at a reasonable rate but then you still have to buy them with a different in-game currency. This is expected in RPGs but I hate this crap in a fighting game. It feels like an artificial way to make a game that's weak on content feel like more.
DLC: expensive but I expected that. I didn't care for the wedding theme on the first pack but that's more my own personal preferences so I'm not holding that against them. I'm hoping for something more uniquely stylish or sexier next time. Biggest complaint about DLC though is that, as a PS4 player in the USA, I look at what everyone else has as purchase options (the ability to buy individual costumes) and I feel very very angry at the different treatment.

I already hardly ever play this game anymore because it just makes me upset and am now playing some older games that I've put off and debating whether to look at MK11. Very disappointed because I was so hype about this since it was announced. I keep checking in to see if there are updates because I really want this to be good. Will probably reinvest myself in this game when DLC purchase options for American PS4 users has been changed to match everyone else, when there is a better selection of stages, and a good selection of sexy and stylish DLC costumes starts dropping.

Last edited:
I mean yes????? Why would Mortal Kombat 11 have any kind of fanservice????? The gore is MK’s trademark, just like the eye candy is for DOA, being the “father” of fighting games is for SF and being one of the first 3D fighters that went popular is for Tekken. Not every fighting game has to have sexual fanservice lol.

Actually, MK has for a long time had quite juicy fanservice.
MK9 was as glorious as DOA in that regard. X was toned down but you still had characters like Mileena.

In 11 it’s not just a lack of fanservice. They are wearing more clothing than my wife wears to Mass. Not an exaggeration. They are seriously as covered as cloistered sisters.

No way can I buy Kuckold Kombat lol.

My own experience since release tells me it's got fun mechanics and allows some fun moments but it's not a complete game. I would discourage people from buying this as it is now; not defend this game to anyone.

My personal opinions summarized:
Character Selection: 7/10 - Core is there, felt they released a standard roster but didn't try to stand out from competition. Feel they tried to achieve the minimum to move the game more than create a lasting work that fans will long fondly remember.
Character Visuals: 8.5/10 - characters look pretty; some odd textures and clipping but still one of the best out there.
Stage Selection: 6/10 - a few pretty ones; poor selection, some are not visually appealing at all -- all of this makes it easy to get bored. Again it feels like they tried to release the minimum necessary and didn't try to create anything memorable.
Story: 3/10 - Terrible; a few character family relationship reveals but goes nowhere and feels like a filler episode in a TV series already bloated with filler episodes.
Later-added-updates: glad they are added but why wasn't this in at launch? I don't even care about the lobbies. I enjoy the win poses though and I'm frustrated it's taking so long to add even this
Starting costume selection: Okay. Good for some women but very weak selection for men. Not as much fan service as expected-not counting this against them but I do hope the DLC keeps a very sexy trend
Costume unlock system: 1/10 - awful. It's been adjusted to allow unlocks at a reasonable rate but then you still have to buy them with a different in-game currency. This is expected in RPGs but I hate this crap in a fighting game. It feels like an artificial way to make a game that's weak on content feel like more.
DLC: expensive but I expected that. I didn't care for the wedding theme on the first pack but that's more my own personal preferences so I'm not holding that against them. I'm hoping for something more uniquely stylish or sexier next time. Biggest complaint about DLC though is that, as a PS4 player in the USA, I look at what everyone else has as purchase options (the ability to buy individual costumes) and I feel very very angry at the different treatment.

I already hardly ever play this game anymore because it just makes me upset and am now playing some older games that I've put off and debating whether to look at MK11. Very disappointed because I was so hype about this since it was announced. I keep checking in to see if there are updates because I really want this to be good. Will probably reinvest myself in this game when DLC purchase options for American PS4 users has been changed to match everyone else, when there is a better selection of stages, and a good selection of sexy and stylish DLC costumes starts dropping.

Don’t count on MK11 giving a shit about fans. They are more into political crap than sales.
It’s a shame. MK has always been my No.1 franchise. I’ve bought all of them since the first one for SNES back in the day lol.
No way could I buy this slap in the face.
I’ve enjoyed the fanservice in MK since frickin MK3. This crap is a disgrace.
DOA was number two. Guess it’s up to no. 1 now.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I still remember when Tecmo showed the middle finger to Square Enix proposal and they went for Koei instead ... they were so dumb.

Both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive current situation is 100% Tecmo fault.

I still remember when Tecmo showed the middle finger to Square Enix proposal and they went for Koei instead ... they were so dumb.

Both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive current situation is 100% Tecmo fault.
Interesting.
We need some new startUp companies that will go hard for fans.

WebHead

At this point they should keep the $90, 000 and put it into the game. I actually don't want to see them lose $90k, I don't give a shit who the best player is in a population of like 200 players. Fix the game, make the online better. We need THOUSANDS of more players.

Kuga

Important question:
Did TN said anything about lack of lobbies, win/lose poses, different issues or missing content before launch of the game?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Important question:
Did TN said anything about lack of lobbies, win/lose poses, different issues or missing content before launch of the game?
No, they pretty much led us on into thinking we were gonna have alot of costumes and such before the reviewers started coming out and clarifying and showing us what we were really getting.

The lobbies not being in was pretty much a given since in the deluxe demo they didn't have it even tho they said they would have it in and they couldn't successfully add it in the demo either. They were pretty quiet when actually addressing the quantity of the offline and non gameplay related content

Kuga

I see. Then there is no use defending this game or TN really since they bluntly lied and cheated us into buying very flawed game while playing "everythings ok guys" act. Its a common act these days. MgsV, Andromeda, Anthem, Agony and many, many more games did the same thing. I have no sympathy for developers crocodile tears because i paid for a game that was supposed to be good, finished, polished (not lolished) and i dont care about excuses. I would care about their reasons only if they were fair to begin with. But no they had to cheat money from us and for that i dont care what happens to series or TN. Ninja Gaiden is basically dead, maybe its time for DoA. There are plenty of fighting games more worthy of our money.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Shimbori answered some questions to Japanese media, like the reason why the couldn't just import all DOA5LR costumes to DOA6, why they couldn't finish everything they planned for story mode or why they couldn't add TAG mode.

Master also answered several questions like one single intro/outro per character and only two costumes for male characters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD