Itagaki talks DOA, thrashes DOA: Dimensions

Rafh2Lf.jpg

Pointed out to us by @grap3fruitman and posted on popular gaming forum NeoGAF, Tomonobu Itagaki, our long-favorite and past DOA producer, had some recent words to share in regards to his thoughts on the current state of DOA and what he thinks of Team Ninja in their current state.

Let's just say, he didn't really have anythinig quite nice to say about DOA: Dimensions.

Here's what Itagaki had to say:

There are a couple points that we do seem to disagree on though, "user X".
You say that DOA5 was the start of the problems (or nightmare?), but I think it started with DOA:Dimensions. I could sense it just minutes after turning the power on, and I immediately had to turn it off. Combos aren’t something that you do with a touch panel.

There is not an official publication of this discussion. The NeoGAF poster reports that this came from a Facebook reply to a user from Itagaki himself, dating back to about a month ago.

Read the full discussion over on NeoGAF.

Round 3 was beuatiful. Is DOA3 accurate on a 360? I noticed some weird graphical stuff happening.

The video is from an Xbox, not an Xbox 360. The Xbox emulation on the 360 has framerate drops and lower graphical quality. Not sure which graphical stuff you saw happening but most likely it was just the video encode.

I never played DOAD, but I heard it was an excellent fighting game. The button setup of DOA made the transition to portable easy and you didn't need to use the touch screen if you knew what you were doing. DOA5 is an amazing game and the best thing about post-Itagaki DOA is the fact that the game is multiplatform. I hated when, after DOA2H, DOA was Xbox (DOA3) and Xbox 360 (DOA4) exclusive. But now, more people have access to DOA and I think it's because of multiplatform and Core Fighters on PS3, that DOA is gaining steam and popularity.

Who thinks hes "fine".. Ya you didn't get the definition from no Dictionary buddy..
Somebody missed the joke and needs to listen to more TLC.
I never played DOAD, but I heard it was an excellent fighting game. The button setup of DOA made the transition to portable easy and you didn't need to use the touch screen if you knew what you were doing. DOA5 is an amazing game and the best thing about post-Itagaki DOA is the fact that the game is multiplatform. I hated when, after DOA2H, DOA was Xbox (DOA3) and Xbox 360 (DOA4) exclusive. But now, more people have access to DOA and I think it's because of multiplatform and Core Fighters on PS3, that DOA is gaining steam and popularity.
Now if we could only get it on Steam.

Sweet! Itagaki trash talking means that he must be close to pushing out and really showing off Devils Third. I will be grabbing a WiiU just for it.

And yeah, the touchscreen in DOAD was useless. Though, if you set it up right, you could easily throw out the insane throws with just a push of the screen.

Oh I remember that comment a few months ago. I can understand Itagaki's
wish to shut it down as the original creator, and I just wondered why doesn't a
whole new 3D fighter work anymore. OTOH, by coincidence, every single 3D
fighter creators (Yu Suzuki, Seiichi Ishii, and of course Itagaki himself)
all went to make 3D beat-them-up eventually, and their old games are being
handled by others. So it might say something.
If I had a chance I will ask Itagaki why he made giant bouncing boobs
(for all females) in the first place, it is probably the drive that makes the game
what it is for the past 14 years.

Oh I remember that comment a few months ago. I can understand Itagaki's
wish to shut it down as the original creator, and I just wondered why doesn't a
whole new 3D fighter work anymore. OTOH, by coincidence, every single 3D
fighter creators (Yu Suzuki, Seiichi Ishii, and of course Itagaki himself)
all went to make 3D beat-them-up eventually, and their old games are being
handled by others. So it might say something.
If I had a chance I will ask Itagaki why he made giant bouncing boobs
(for all females) in the first place, it is probably the drive that makes the game
what it is for the past 14 years.

I'd tell him to make a new one, but he doesn't like fighters. That's like me criticizing the new Madden game.

DOAD IMO though was a good game. the Touch screen did NOT effect the actually mechanics of the game and how it can be played. You weren't going to win with a touch screen.
Even though this is true, executing something like the Raijin with actual inputs vs a single touch is a very huge and significant difference.

#TeamItagaki forever. Devil's Third could turn out great but I'd love for him to make a true spiritual successor to DOA or NG.

Funny that people keep saying Itagaki has high standards of quality and creativity when abominations like DOAX2 and Ninja Gaiden II (360) came from him.

Though the current TN is not that much better tbh.

DOA as a whole is better off Itagaki. I'm sorry for him, but DOA5 is the best in the series in many aspects. I kinda like the guy, but he better pull his head out his ass and focus on Devil's Third...

Reactions: d3v
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD