Kay, seriously, how do i get back up?

Argentus

Once I'm knocked down speedy characters have a field day with me.

People have said "tech roll back instead of to the side" but that has made zero difference as they just continue attacking me no matter which way I roll, and blocking doesnt work either, and if I don't, they force tech me into it anyway so wakeup isn't am option, so I feel like button mashing just to get my character back on his feet, let alone in the fight.

It's really frustrating seeing my character flop around helplessly with me apparently unable to do anything about it. Help? Hoping my timing is just wrong or something....

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Are you trying to attack after you tech back? 'Cause you should stop. Blocking is godlike. Only strike if you saw the other guy whiff something big through your tech and you know that you have frame advantage.

EDIT: Unless they like oki throws, of course. I love oki throws.

Last edited:

Drake Aldan

and blocking doesnt work either
but why doesn't it work

if you're getting force teched/guy's breathing down your neck, you wakeup kick him

if he down attacks to stop your wakeup kick you just get up. If they whiff you have advantage

those are the main two options... you can go on to say that

if the person is trying to hold your wakeup kick, get up and

- high or mid punch
- throw them

if they read this and attack to beat you, you either wakeup kick again, or get up and block.

Oki is not so complicated. Remember you have invincibility with your wakeup kick and your opponent has to go out of their way to avoid it! When they are scared of this just getting up and blocking can make them hesitate which immediately gives you the advantage.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I would like to add that when your character is grounded, you are considered in a stun/staggered state. So it is benificial to stagger escape to rise quickly. Holding the :h: will allow you to rise and block.

Drake Aldan

This does not work on true force techs.
In those cases you just gotta put the shades on and deal with it.

I'm assuming TC isn't fighting multiple instances of speed characters with specific FT setups, but just regular people who run over and 2K when they can.

David Gregg

Just out of curiosity does Leon have a special wake up? This could also help OP's problem. I know when ppl get too comfortable anticipating my mid wakeup kick I use Eliot's special P+K instead when possible and throw them completely off.

Jaguar360

Just out of curiosity does Leon have a special wake up? This could also help OP's problem. I know when ppl get too comfortable anticipating my mid wakeup kick I use Eliot's special P+K instead when possible and throw them completely off.
Both Mila and Leon have the Tackle when facing foward on their stomach by pressing T.

If you're not doing so already Argentus, try pressing :h: at the very moment you hit the ground rather than waiting until you're on the ground. I hope this helps.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Once I'm knocked down speedy characters have a field day with me.

People have said "tech roll back instead of to the side" but that has made zero difference as they just continue attacking me no matter which way I roll, and blocking doesnt work either, and if I don't, they force tech me into it anyway so wakeup isn't am option, so I feel like button mashing just to get my character back on his feet, let alone in the fight.

It's really frustrating seeing my character flop around helplessly with me apparently unable to do anything about it. Help? Hoping my timing is just wrong or something....

Which characters are giving you trouble? If its people like Kasumi, Christie, Helena, Zack or Hitomi for instance, just tech to a direction away from where they are attacking, otherwise you can just lie on the ground and wake-up kick the opponent. I have not encountered any opponents in DOA5U that have oki-ed me to a point that I can't do anything about it. If the opponent likes to FT you or used Downed Attacks or ground grabs, then tech roll to avoid it. If they don't attack you on the ground, wake-up kick them. If they defend your wake-up kicks, then use wake up~block, wake-up~throw or wake-up~mid punch.

Basically what Drake said. There is never a situation where continuous oki is guaranteed, there's always at least one outlet or counter-action. If you think the oki is frustrating in this game, try playing TTT2.

Argentus

Which characters are giving you trouble? If its people like Kasumi, Christie, Helena, Zack or Hitomi for instance, just tech to a direction away from where they are attacking, otherwise you can just lie on the ground and wake-up kick the opponent. I have not encountered any opponents in DOA5U that have oki-ed me to a point that I can't do anything about it. If the opponent likes to FT you or used Downed Attacks or ground grabs, then tech roll to avoid it. If they don't attack you on the ground, wake-up kick them. If they defend your wake-up kicks, then use wake up~block, wake-up~throw or wake-up~mid punch.

Basically what Drake said. There is never a situation where continuous oki is guaranteed, there's always at least one outlet or counter-action. If you think the oki is frustrating in this game, try playing TTT2.

Helena, ninjas, Rachel, kokoro mostly. Zack and Hitomi and Christie, but nowhere near as bad.

Argentus

Both Mila and Leon have the Tackle when facing foward on their stomach by pressing T.

If you're not doing so already Argentus, try pressing :h: at the very moment you hit the ground rather than waiting until you're on the ground. I hope this helps.

Is that grab or counter?

Argentus

The tackle is a grab.

I got that, I thought he was suggesting a better tech roll.

I already do the grab, doesn't help because they are usually either doing low attacks or some kinda flip. Both put them in a stance where the grab whiffs.

Jaguar360

I got that, I thought he was suggesting a better tech roll.

I already do the grab, doesn't help because they are usually either doing low attacks or some kinda flip. Both put them in a stance where the grab whiffs.
The H is counter (for tech rolling).
The tackle is just the throw button.

I would like to add that when your character is grounded, you are considered in a stun/staggered state. So it is benificial to stagger escape to rise quickly. Holding the :h: will allow you to rise and block.

There's a tutorial piece in the game that touches on grounded state. It suggests to mash the Hold button to get back up, optionally while pressing a direction. If there's a throw/hold that gives you trouble, see if the AI can tech. If it can, then it's just a matter of practice to tech throws/holds.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
If you get hit (teched) on the ground, you're at a disadvantage. So if you're trying to use a wake up kick or a unique wake up strike of any kind aka pushing buttons, then you're going to get popped. It's good to do what VirtuaPAI just recommended: Rise & Block.

However, if they whiff the ground attack, then you have the chance to hit them with the wake ups.

Argentus

If you get hit (teched) on the ground, you're at a disadvantage. So if you're trying to use a wake up kick or a unique wake up strike of any kind aka pushing buttons, then you're going to get popped. It's good to do what VirtuaPAI just recommended: Rise & Block.

However, if they whiff the ground attack, then you have the chance to hit them with the wake ups.

Ive been trying buy it wont let me block. They just hit me as I'm getting up, before I can actually block.

Malfury

In those cases you just gotta put the shades on and deal with it.

I'm assuming TC isn't fighting multiple instances of speed characters with specific FT setups, but just regular people who run over and 2K when they can.
First sentence was epic lol. But I agree with everyone. Keep playing and get more experience on how to deal with it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD