Koei Tecmo at TGS 2023

Koei Tecmo will be making an appearance at TGS 2023 showing plenty of new games and content for current titles. The company will be at the public creator booth with Team NINJA demonstrating Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, they will be selling merchandise (including DOAX) at their booth(s) and will have three different live streams. The first two live streams are RPG titles: Fate/Samurai Remnant (which has some surprising hype behind it) and the latest Atelier title which will start off as a mobile game and work its way to PC later.

Following up those live streams will be a 1-hour Friday presentation from Koei Tecmo at TGS. While it's likely we will see Rise of Ronin as the ending to their program, it's completely unclear whether we will get a tease for Dead or Alive or NINJA Gaiden. Team NINJA will also be celebrating their Lies of P x Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty collaboration & a second big DLC for the game. Because of Rise of Ronin the general feeling is no more Team NINJA announcements this year. That being said, Koei Tecmo updated their program schedule and Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation will indeed close the show unless their ending program has a special surprise.

TGS is typically an unsatisfying affair, but regardless of that I'll be watching the streams naturally; not just because I enjoy most of Koei Tecmo's games, but because I also want to see where the general direction from the company is going. In terms of Team NINJA news this is the quietest they have ever been in almost every aspect possible. Check out Koei Tecmo's official TGS site from time to time as they are updating it regularly.

Before TGS, Koei Tecmo regularly announces the games they will be showing and playing at the event. Fate/Samurai Remnant (Playstation, Steam, Switch) and Atelier Resleriana (ioS, Android, Steam) have been announced for a while now and are considered staple Koei Tecmo games for this financial quarter. Once again, they are being adorned with their own individual streams before Koei Tecmo's one-hour showcase, but it does not mean they will not dip into the one-hour program as well.

Koei Tecmo has also announced Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8: Remake (Playstation, Steam, Switch), Romance of the Three Kingdoms Hadou (iOS, Android, Steam), NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Shutsujin (iOS, Android), and finally NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Hadou (iOS, Android, Steam). This list of games indicates that Koei Tecmo will continue to push classic titles on the mobile platform with Steam also hosting most of their games with the exception of Shutsujin.

[Update 9.21.23 3am PT] Team NINJA has kicked off their side of the TGS 2023 show with a brand-new trailer for the second upcoming Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty DLC - Conqueror of Jiangdong. This further completes the near-perfect Wo Long experience alongside the first DLC volume available within the Season Pass, and free collaboration costumes to stylize your character. Team NINJA will also hold one of their infamous Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation streams where literally almost anything can happen.

Last edited:
Koei Tecmo will be making an appearance at TGS 2023. I'm predicting an announcement for NINJA Gaiden or Dead or Alive next year, and this prediction is based off of their official slides last year.
Well, I don't think they'd have a release date for either at the moment. And unless anything specific gets leaked prior to any announcements, they should be in good shape.

I'd prefer a breadcrumbs approach where they drop off merch for customers stateside from their existing partners (4eg, Insert Coin Clothing) as well as new ones (I'm eyeballing Boxlunch/Hot Topic atm), reissuing and translating the old manga (Probably Udon) alongside it. Maybe even brand-new figurines, too.

I'm on a 50/50 scale of expecting vs not expecting DOA news but I'll definitely still watch to see if maybe there's other projects I may like

If TN just decided to port the first 4 games to PC I think I'd be satisfied by that, Venus Vacation seems where their main focus is at so if anything hopefully they'll support that for a better budget for a future DOA title. Plus the clothes are endless fodder for costume ports for DOA6

Wanna see reboots info, but not this time I suppose. Expecting Rise of the Ronin, since release is next year, but it wasn't at State of play and isn't on the Koei Tecmo TGS list of titles, maybe a bit later

Wanna see reboots info, but not this time I suppose. Expecting Rise of the Ronin, since release is next year, but it wasn't at State of play and isn't on the Koei Tecmo TGS list of titles, maybe a bit later

Reason 5 million 900 to hate Sony. They rub their nuts on Team NINJA so hard they are stricken to their projects for years upon years.

The biggest hope one could have is that the grip lessens over time.

Reason 5 million 900 to hate Sony. They rub their nuts on Team NINJA so hard they are stricken to their projects for years upon years.

Don't see why it would. Japanese prefer to do business with Japanese, and Sony represents both their biggest foreign and domestic audience.

That said, if they had nothing to show its because there is nothing worth showing.

Sony rub their nuts on Team NINJA so hard they are stricken to their projects for years upon years.
Well, I just don't think PS Plus is economically viable because A, it hands you games on a silver platter to go with your membership permanently, and B, it gets hard to sift through the catalogue.

Don't see why it would. Japanese prefer to do business with Japanese, and Sony represents both their biggest foreign and domestic audience. That said, if they had nothing to show its because there is nothing worth showing.
Yes and no. Yes, Sony is a Japanese company and they're not necessarily going down with a fight, but considering the fact that Sony Japan Studio is no longer a thing, as of a couple of years ago. Not to mention, Nintendo is much more popular in general because of the VARIETY of games they offered. And no, I don't think Sony's THAT big if they could lose to Starfield in Tokyo of all places.

I'm not sure what you are thinking the closure of Sony Japan Studio means as far as Playstations overall level of success, but Sony owns Playstation. The majority of console users are on Playstation by a wide margin. Ergo, they have the largest market share of the console audience, whether they are producing first party titles out the wazoo or not. As for SJS, dev studios get shuttered all the time by their owners and have their employees shuffled around to other teams. Who knows what that means in reality. Sony as a company had made a number of bad decisions in the last decade and has been tanking in a number of areas, but PS has pretty much been a yen printer.

If it were a situation where this was not true, it would more than likely push some companies out of their comfort zone to expand their relations out west. Though in the case of KT, probably not. I mean, these are the guys who put fourth minimum effort on every dynasty warriors game they release and aim for the lowest acceptable margins possible on sales. They are not exactly ambitious.

Don't see why it would. Japanese prefer to do business with Japanese, and Sony represents both their biggest foreign and domestic audience.

That said, if they had nothing to show its because there is nothing worth showing.

Hence why Itagaki was preferable for a DOA player.

I think Wo Long being on Game Pass is a good sign, but we will see what the upcoming quarters show. I don't think that publishers/developers actually like or prefer Sony more than it feels like entrapment from Sony's investments. We're also seeing FFXIV coming to XBOX (most likely to be included in Game Pass subscription). Not to mention six more Japanese games will be announced at TGS (which could be really silly or monumental).

And just as an alternative example of Japanese preferring to do business with Japanese. Is that just with Sony and publishers because Japanese government approved the ABK deal as soon as the option was presented unlike the CMA. Clearly overriding Sony's tree-shaking opinion on the matter.

I'm not sure what you are thinking the closure of Sony Japan Studio means as far as Playstations overall level of success, but Sony owns Playstation. The majority of console users are on Playstation by a wide margin. Ergo, they have the largest market share of the console audience, whether they are producing first party titles out the wazoo or not. PS has pretty much been a yen printer. If it were a situation where this was not true, it would more than likely push some companies out of their comfort zone to expand their relations out west. Though in the case of KT, probably not. I mean, these are the guys who put fourth minimum effort on every dynasty warriors game they release and aim for the lowest acceptable margins possible on sales. They are not exactly ambitious.
Or you just don't care which console its on.
Fuck that. You're just making up excuses. I didn't think you'd out yourself as a Sony Pony who aims to subjugate the Japanese to Jim goddamn Ryan and his cronies.

Fuck that. You're just making up excuses. I didn't think you'd out yourself as a Sony Pony who aims to subjugate the Japanese to Jim goddamn Ryan and his cronies.

I've never once seen Rikuto as a Sony Pony; he's just being analytical. Try to relax on being so quick to the punch? Rikuto is one of the main 'stars' of the DOA community and I'd prefer he feels respected for the time he spends at FSD.

Last edited:
Yeah, I doubt anything DOA related (or NG related for that matter) is going to be announced or discussed at TGS. I’d be pretty surprised if there was something though.

The chances of it are slim, but I've taken some time to learn how Koei Tecmo operates, and I've explored their properties heavily this year, and their financial status and notice that the numbers of DOA sales can't be the driving factor of why they haven't made a new one yet as the Atelier saga does FAR less in terms of sales, but it didn't stop them from launching four different products for the series.

I have back pedaled from being snarky towards KT and have gone out of my way to recognize them more while also complementing their work. I think a more positive infrastructure would help the community better than shaming the publisher.

The chances of it are slim, but I've taken some time to learn how Koei Tecmo operates, and I've explored their properties heavily this year, and their financial status and notice that the numbers of DOA sales can't be the driving factor of why they haven't made a new one yet as the Atelier saga does FAR less in terms of sales, but it didn't stop them from launching four different products for the series.

I have back pedaled from being snarky towards KT and have gone out of my way to recognize them more while also complementing their work. I think a more positive infrastructure would help the community better than shaming the publisher.
At this point I think it's best just not to say anything since they've received so much negative backlash and outright outrage over their practices, I don't blame them for being silent at this time xD

I think it's best to just wait for something organically so we don't have a rushed project they throw out just so people have a bone

I own every modern console and only use them 0.01% of the time. I literally dislike consoles too much to show any kind of favoritism towards them. For me they are simply there to play games that cannot be played otherwise. The rest of the time I am on my PC.

So if I'm saying anything in regards to Sony doing something correct, its likely because they are. And if you are worried about any bias on my side, its probably because you are harboring a lot of it yourself. I don't know what to tell you in that regard, because simping for any team when it comes to the hardware space is foolishness. None of these corporations are your friend, and that includes manufacturers like Nvidia which are powering my own rig. Those guys are some of the biggest grade A assholes the industry has ever seen, but it's not as if AMD is any better.

Rikuto is one of the main 'stars' of the DOA community.
You are, too, but honestly, we just need to shitpost hard enough to MANDATE all Japanese games on Xbox. No exceptions.
My brother in Christ, you're going back on your word. Every time Sony gets ahold of KT, it always means a forest fire's gonna start somewhere.

"Positive infrastructure", huh? Gimme a break. I thought you preferred calling out Koei-Tecmo on hanging Xbox to dry.

You are, too, but honestly, we just need to shitpost hard enough to MANDATE all Japanese games on Xbox. No exceptions.

My brother in Christ, you're going back on your word. Every time Sony gets ahold of KT, it always means a forest fire's gonna start somewhere.

"Positive infrastructure", huh? Gimme a break. I thought you preferred calling out Koei-Tecmo on hanging Xbox to dry.

I don’t think I’m going back on my word more than I had a change of heart in the direction that I was going. Being overtaken by bitterness wasn’t a good feeling for me so I try to eliminate it where I can. It’s a slow process for sure.

I don’t think I’m going back on my word more than I had a change of heart in the direction that I was going. It’s a slow process for sure.
Yeah. Sorry about that. In all seriousness, tho, I'm conflicted. I like the Series X and the games, but I've been taking this Devil's Advocate mindset a bit too seriously, and I don't have a lot of speculation. Despite any and all previous misgivings, I can at least dance around the idea of players around the world being interested and grateful in Itagaki, no matter their opinion on the current games.

Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation is the final game for the KT TGS 2023 program. If you remember, Tamaki was revealed for DOA6 on a DOAXVV program. I don't have any faith in an announcement, but any DOA announcement can be made on one of these shows.

They also have an ending program following that and it usually isn't anything remarkable, but we might see another Rise of the Ronin tease, or we might just here a "Thanks for tuning in, folks."

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD