Kokoro General Thoughts/ Ideas

D_EEM_0

Wanted to create a thread where we can talk about anything we'd like to see change with Kokoro. Anything we'd like to see added, or updated. Or just a general chat about Kokoro.

For Example, I for one, would like to see a sit down fatal stun for Kokoro (Unless there is already one that i cant seem to find).

Strangerinmytub

I think the first part of her Fatal Rush functions like a sitdown stun (they don't do the sitdown animation but they are stunned for about the same amount of time? Not sure.) She seems to be in a decent spot from the games I've played. Sidestep spamming is a pain, but they did give her a new tracking kick so that'll just take some time to get used to. Lastly, her 66PK->PK juggle got nerfed so I've been dropping people all day.

XxNoriakixX

Anyone found some secret Discord tech? I somehow cannot feel her in 6, feeling a bit lost thanks to the new system

Strangerinmytub

Honestly it feels a little bad playing Kokoro in sidestep attack spam meta. She only has two tracking kicks that are very slow and I usually end up only beating people by abusing the sidestep attack better than they do. I'm still getting used to her though, maybe there's something I'm missing.

D_EEM_0

I think the first part of her Fatal Rush functions like a sitdown stun (they don't do the sitdown animation but they are stunned for about the same amount of time? Not sure.) She seems to be in a decent spot from the games I've played. Sidestep spamming is a pain, but they did give her a new tracking kick so that'll just take some time to get used to. Lastly, her 66PK->PK juggle got nerfed so I've been dropping people all day.

I agree, i think her (down p+k) should be a sit down stun. Since its so unsafe and slow. Down p+k also doesn't tech as well as it used to.

D_EEM_0

Honestly it feels a little bad playing Kokoro in sidestep attack spam meta. She only has two tracking kicks that are very slow and I usually end up only beating people by abusing the sidestep attack better than they do. I'm still getting used to her though, maybe there's something I'm missing.

I played so many hours of ranked, and thats most of what i got. Side steps in the middle of combos on repeat. The side step of the game needs to be fixed. The knockback is nice. But since it takes priority over majority of Kokoros moves, it makes it hard to keep a steady flow for mix ups.

I find that using kokoro, you can be aggressive, but you have to wait people out. Kokoro is very linear, so you have to be patient w her.

Strangerinmytub

You know this deluxe outfit is actually pretty dope. I've pretty exclusively used it since I haven't gotten any other decent costumes and it is actually super nice. The heart choker is dope and I love the little cat pins on the skirt. I also think the double layered design of the skirt is cool too. The boots look kind of dumb but at east the heart design makes them look not as dumpy. Nothing special about the top, but the armbands were a nice touch. The nets at the edge of the wrist wraps are also kind of interesting. Finally, the colors are pretty nice, not bland and colorless (Leifang and Tina deluxe) or garish and overly bright (Diego and Mila deluxe). Bonus since Kokoro doesn't usually get this blue focused color scheme.

Definitely one of the better deluxe outfits, glad they actually put some effort into making it a costume specifically for her (cute and with hearts, which granted is not that hard to pull off).

Strangerinmytub

After almost 700 ranked games of Kokoro here are my comprehensive thoughts on her in DOA6, TLDR at the bottom:

State of Kokoro:
I hate to say it, but I do think that Kokoro is definitely a lower tier character in DOA6. Not garbage, but far from being a strong pick. The primary reason for this is that her character identity is COMPLETELY at odds with the sidestep meta and the new gauge system. It isn't impossible to win games as Kokoro, but it's usually through abusing the enemy character's weakness or punishing sidesteps, not through the strengths of your own character.

So most of probably know that I fucking hate the sidestep attacks, but it's definitely worse for Kokoro compared to some other characters. Let me explain why I think this is the case.

Most of Kokoro's offense is through her heichu mixups and her launchers. None of her launchers track, and since stuns are weaker in DOA6 there are few times where I feel like I can actually get a guaranteed launch. It doesn't help that she only has a single fatal stun (no sitdown stun). So with launchers hard to guarantee and easy to sidestep out of, how are the heichu mixups? In DOA6, Kokoro got a new mid kick from neutral AND out of heichu. This mid kick and the fact that her fatal stun tracks are the only things preventing her from being a trash tier character. This kick is the only tracking move out of her heichu stance (unfortunately the stun isn't as good as her mid or high punch options), her other 3 options do not track and get beaten by sidestep attack. However, this means that instead of worrying about 5 options out of Heichu (Low, Mid Punch, Mid Kick, High Punch, Delayed Regular Throw) they only need to worry about 3 (Any punch, Mid Kick, Delayed Regular Throw). The existence of the sidestep attack means that Kokoro actually has FEWER options out of Heichu in DOA6 than she did in DOA5.

Another issue with Kokoro right now is the fact that the meta diminishes her strengths and punishes her weaknesses. Kokoro stylistically is a character that wants to stay in your face and constantly pressure you with mixups at close range. However, you can't really play this overwhelming offensive style in DOA6, and it is much easier for opponent's to deal with pressure compared to 5. Sidestep attacks, close hits, and Break Holds are all new tools that are great at creating distance and disengaging from the enemy. These tools make it extremely hard for Kokoro to stay close to the enemy like she wants to. Once Kokoro is out of your face and at range she is fucking awful. She has no low sweep, no long range single move gap closer, her 66P (main initiating tool from DOA5) loses to sidestep, and her throws are pretty short range. Kokoro has one viable gap closing move, 46PP. This move is the only one that is reasonably fast, covers a good distance, and the second part of the string tracks so it can beat sidesteps. Her other gap closers are not useful. (Uncancellable charged 1PK which can be sidestepped anyway and a very slow kick string that puts her in back turned for half of it, also doesn't track until the end). I have recently discovered that her 7P->2K->P string covers a surprising amount of distance, but it doesn't track either so it might not really help. With these garbage tools from range, Kokoro is at the mercy of anyone good at range or with offensive holds.

I can already hear people yelling at me that "sidesteps are punishable" and that "you just need to play around it" but hear me out. The problem with Kokoro is that you need to drastically change your playstyle to deal with the weaker stun game and the sidestep spam, whereas other characters already have ways to deal with these issues within a single core playstyle. That's the main issue for me, some characters can play the exact same way whether their opponent likes to sidestep or doesn't sidestep (low sweeps, offensive holds, tracking strings that lead to guaranteed launchers), whereas Kokoro has to switch from pressuring down the opponent with long strings to playing super passive and using a different set of tracking moves. It isn't impossible to win on Kokoro, the problem is that to win you have to seriously outplay your opponent or rely on them messing up. Most of my wins are off of throws now because regular attack strings are so unreliable.

What I'd Change:
Give her a low sweep for the love of god, or any tracking low move. A sit-down fatal stun would also be nice, just put it on her 2PK so it isn't a useless move from neutral anymore. It would also be super nice if one of her Heichu punches could track, since all three can be sidestepped right now. These changes could probably be enough to push her into average or even slightly above average since her throws are so strong. The stuff I list below are more biased things I'd like as a Kokoro main.

Make her 7PK cancellable, since it's only good for cheesing people on wake up or as a shittier version of Leifang's backstep punch thingy. Give her a high punch option at the end of her 1PP string, it's already super slow and telegraphed so it wouldn't hurt to have another option. Finally, it would be nice for Kokoro to have a three kick string from neutral since a bunch of the female characters have one. It could either be an extension of a 3K string or maybe something out of 4K from neutral.

How to Win with Kokoro:

-Heichu is still decent for opening people up, the punish just isn't as reliable anymore. The kick is usually my go to option since people aren't used to it (they won't hold) and it also tracks (beats sidesteps).
-Launchers are a bitch because low hold spammers make you whiff 4PK and 7K leaves your back turned. Ideally don't use the 7K launcher, since the back-turned makes sticking the heichu air throw pretty hit or miss, it's more reliable out of the other launchers. If you do get a launcher, try your best to get the air-heichu into PK, it's a close hit and is almost always the best option in the air.
-P-2K-P/T is your bread and butter from neutral. The low kick is super fast and pretty much no one blocks or holds it, it's some nice pseudo-guaranteed damage and usually when they get hit by that the heichu throw lands. 9PP is OK but it whiffs against low hold spammers.
-Whenever possible try to land your fatal stun, it is the only move that guarantees a launcher (unless they breakhold after) and it also tracks.
-Most importantly, use your throws ALL THE TIME, one of Kokoro's saving graces is that her throws do a TON of damage and with the prevalence of sidestep spammers and OH users running around most of your damage will come from throw punishes.
-Don't be afraid to sidestep as well. It's a dick move but you are handicapping yourself if you don't use it.
-Using break blow from neutral is actually not awful, just a bit janky sometimes. Since her range is so shitty it actually functions as one of her gap closers.
-Her new chain throw is really good, and most people won't know to counter at the end so you can usually guarantee a bend over stun at the end to set up another combo.

Everything Else:
-Ponytail and Pigtails are tied for best hairstyle, followed by sidetail, beret long hair, and regular long hair.
-Best costumes are in order: Casual, Deluxe, Default, Schoolgirl, Exercise, and Kimono.
-Her new face is honestly fine she's still cute :)
-She got shortchanged in the story but she got more development in 3 chapters than most of the rest of the cast so 6/10.
-Her encyclopedia and in-game dialogue make her seem very cute and delicate but in the story she's got serious anger issues
-Her outro pose is god tier, her character select and intro are meh
-Only one unique dialogue line? Really? Where is her outro interaction with Helena? Why no unique dialog with Lisa, Nico, Ayane, or Eliot?
-Give her a break blow where she beats her opponent's face c'mon KT
-Japanese VA is still great but her new lines are noticeably different sounding than her old ones, from what I've seen the english VA is fine

Conclusion:
Kokoro is stronger than she was in DOA5 but in the context of the DOA6 meta she is weaker overall. Lack of good tracking strings and the strength of sidestep attacking and distance creating tools puts her in a not so great spot. Her throws are still strong and if the opponent lets you get a launcher or fatal stun you can pump out some good damage, but it isn't as safe or reliable compared to other characters. Kokoro feels like a high-risk - moderate reward character. If you guys have any questions or comments let me know, I'm still learning the game so there may be things I am wrong about or haven't discovered yet.

TLDR: Kokoro is a below average character with high risk and moderate reward. Her strikes, holds, and throws all do decent damage but her lack of good tracking moves and gap closers hurts her. DOA6 mechanics make it easier to disengage and put space between players, which nullifies Kokoro's strengths of being an aggressive, in-your-face attacker.

Last edited:

D_EEM_0

After almost 700 ranked games of Kokoro here are my comprehensive thoughts on her in DOA6, TLDR at the bottom:

State of Kokoro:
I hate to say it, but I do think that Kokoro is definitely a lower tier character in DOA6. Not garbage, but far from being a strong pick. The primary reason for this is that her character identity is COMPLETELY at odds with the sidestep meta and the new gauge system. It isn't impossible to win games as Kokoro, but it's usually through abusing the enemy character's weakness or punishing sidesteps, not through the strengths of your own character.

So most of probably know that I fucking hate the sidestep attacks, but it's definitely worse for Kokoro compared to some other characters. Let me explain why I think this is the case.

Most of Kokoro's offense is through her heichu mixups and her launchers. None of her launchers track, and since stuns are weaker in DOA6 there are few times where I feel like I can actually get a guaranteed launch. It doesn't help that she only has a single fatal stun (no sitdown stun). So with launchers hard to guarantee and easy to sidestep out of, how are the heichu mixups? In DOA6, Kokoro got a new mid kick from neutral AND out of heichu. This mid kick and the fact that her fatal stun tracks are the only things preventing her from being a trash tier character. This kick is the only tracking move out of her heichu stance (unfortunately the stun isn't as good as her mid or high punch options), her other 3 options do not track and get beaten by sidestep attack. However, this means that instead of worrying about 5 options out of Heichu (Low, Mid Punch, Mid Kick, High Punch, Delayed Regular Throw) they only need to worry about 3 (Any punch, Mid Kick, Delayed Regular Throw). The existence of the sidestep attack means that Kokoro actually has FEWER options out of Heichu in DOA6 than she did in DOA5.

Another issue with Kokoro right now is the fact that the meta diminishes her strengths and punishes her weaknesses. Kokoro stylistically is a character that wants to stay in your face and constantly pressure you with mixups at close range. However, you can't really play this overwhelming offensive style in DOA6, and it is much easier for opponent's to deal with pressure compared to 5. Sidestep attacks, close hits, and Break Holds are all new tools that are great at creating distance and disengaging from the enemy. These tools make it extremely hard for Kokoro to stay close to the enemy like she wants to. Once Kokoro is out of your face and at range she is fucking awful. She has no low sweep, no long range single move gap closer, her 66P (main initiating tool from DOA5) loses to sidestep, and her throws are pretty short range. Kokoro has one viable gap closing move, 46PP. This move is the only one that is reasonably fast, covers a good distance, and the second part of the string tracks so it can beat sidesteps. Her other gap closers are not useful. (Uncancellable charged 1PK which can be sidestepped anyway and a very slow kick string that puts her in back turned for half of it, also doesn't track until the end). I have recently discovered that her 7P->2K->P string covers a surprising amount of distance, but it doesn't track either so it might not really help. With these garbage tools from range, Kokoro is at the mercy of anyone good at range or with offensive holds.

I can already hear people yelling at me that "sidesteps are punishable" and that "you just need to play around it" but hear me out. The problem with Kokoro is that you need to drastically change your playstyle to deal with the weaker stun game and the sidestep spam, whereas other characters already have ways to deal with these issues within a single core playstyle. That's the main issue for me, some characters can play the exact same way whether their opponent likes to sidestep or doesn't sidestep (low sweeps, offensive holds, tracking strings that lead to guaranteed launchers), whereas Kokoro has to switch from pressuring down the opponent with long strings to playing super passive and using a different set of tracking moves. It isn't impossible to win on Kokoro, the problem is that to win you have to seriously outplay your opponent or rely on them messing up. Most of my wins are off of throws now because regular attack strings are so unreliable.

What I'd Change:
Give her a low sweep for the love of god, or any tracking low move. A sit-down fatal stun would also be nice, just put it on her 2PK so it isn't a useless move from neutral anymore. It would also be super nice if one of her Heichu punches could track, since all three can be sidestepped right now. These changes could probably be enough to push her into average or even slightly above average since her throws are so strong. The stuff I list below are more biased things I'd like as a Kokoro main.

Make her 1PK cancellable, since it's only good for cheesing people on wake up or as a shittier version of Leifang's backstep punch thingy. Give her a high punch option at the end of her 1PP string, it's already super slow and telegraphed so it wouldn't hurt to have another option. Finally, it would be nice for Kokoro to have a three kick string from neutral since a bunch of the female characters have one. It could either be an extension of a 3K string or maybe something out of 4K from neutral.

How to Win with Kokoro:

-Heichu is still decent for opening people up, the punish just isn't as reliable anymore. The kick is usually my go to option since people aren't used to it (they won't hold) and it also tracks (beats sidesteps).
-Launchers are a bitch because low hold spammers make you whiff 4PK and 7K leaves your back turned. Ideally don't use the 7K launcher, since the back-turned makes sticking the heichu air throw pretty hit or miss, it's more reliable out of the other launchers. If you do get a launcher, try your best to get the air-heichu into PK, it's a close hit and is almost always the best option in the air.
-P-2K-P/T is your bread and butter from neutral. The low kick is super fast and pretty much no one blocks or holds it, it's some nice pseudo-guaranteed damage and usually when they get hit by that the heichu throw lands. 9PP is OK but it whiffs against low hold spammers.
-Whenever possible try to land your fatal stun, it is the only move that guarantees a launcher (unless they breakhold after) and it also tracks.
-Most importantly, use your throws ALL THE TIME, one of Kokoro's saving graces is that her throws do a TON of damage and with the prevalence of sidestep spammers and OH users running around most of your damage will come from throw punishes.
-Don't be afraid to sidestep as well. It's a dick move but you are handicapping yourself if you don't use it.
-Using break blow from neutral is actually not awful, just a bit janky sometimes. Since her range is so shitty it actually functions as one of her gap closers.
-Her new chain throw is really good, and most people won't know to counter at the end so you can usually guarantee a bend over stun at the end to set up another combo.

Everything Else:
-Ponytail and Pigtails are tied for best hairstyle, followed by sidetail, beret long hair, and regular long hair.
-Best costumes are in order: Casual, Deluxe, Default, Schoolgirl, Exercise, and Kimono.
-She got shortchanged in the story but she got more development in 3 chapters than most of the rest of the cast so 6/10.
-Her encyclopedia and in-game dialogue make her seem very cute and delicate but in the story she's got serious anger issues
-Only one unique dialogue line? Really? Where is her outro interaction with Helena? Why no unique dialog with Lisa, Nico, Ayane, or Eliot?
-Japanese VA is still great but her new lines are noticeably different sounding than her old ones, from what I've seen the english VA is fine

Conclusion:
Kokoro is stronger than she was in DOA5 but in the context of the DOA6 meta she is weaker overall. Lack of good tracking strings and the strength of sidestep attacking and distance creating tools puts her in a not so great spot. Her throws are still strong and if the opponent lets you get a launcher or fatal stun you can pump out some good damage, but it isn't as safe or reliable compared to other characters. Kokoro feels like a high-risk - moderate reward character. If you guys have any questions or comments let me know, I'm still learning the game so there may be things I am wrong about or haven't discovered yet.

TLDR: Kokoro is a below average character with high risk and moderate reward. Her strikes, holds, and throws all do decent damage but her lack of good tracking moves and gap closers hurts her. DOA6 mechanics make it easier to disengage and put space between players, which nullifies Kokoro's strengths of being an aggressive, in-your-face attacker.

Straight Factsssss

D_EEM_0

State of Kokoro:

What I'd Change:

Make her 1PK cancellable, since it's only good for cheesing people on wake up or as a shittier version of Leifang's backstep punch thingy. Give her a high punch option at the end of her 1PP string, it's already super slow and telegraphed so it wouldn't hurt to have another option. Finally, it would be nice for Kokoro to have a three kick string from neutral since a bunch of the female characters have one. It could either be an extension of a 3K string or maybe something out of 4K from neutral.

How to Win with Kokoro:

Everything Else:

Conclusion:

Such a detailed and perfect description of where Kokoro is right now. This side step meta is something that definitely needs to be tweaked. I find myself struggling to fight fast characters like Kasumi/Christie because of their reach and speed. The side step takes priority over majority of her moves. And everyone I've fought online that knows about this issue, abuses it. I'm also glad i'm not the only one who realized how weak her stun game is. I cant do most of my combos that i had in Doa5 because people can easily counter low and resume straight into block. So... playing Kokoro has felt more like reading your opponents counters/ sidesteps as opposed to being able to mix up freely and combo from stun to stun. And i hate that i cant combo 66pk into things as i used to in exchange for an air grab that doesn't always connect(unlike other characters). We gonna need some updates.

Last edited:

Strangerinmytub

Such a detailed and perfect description of where Kokoro is right now. This side step meta is something that definitely needs to be tweaked. I find myself struggling to fight fast characters like Kasumi/Christie because of their reach and speed. The side step takes priority over majority of her moves. And everyone I've fought online that knows about this issue, abuses it. I'm also glad i'm not the only one who realized how weak her stun game is. I cant do most of my combos that i had in Doa5 because people can easily counter low and resume straight into block. So... playing Kokoro has felt more like reading your opponents counters/ sidesteps as opposed to being able to mix up freely and combo from stun to stun. And i hate that i cant combo 66pk into things as i used to in exchange for an air grab that doesn't always connect(unlike other characters). We gonna need some updates.

Yeah, someone on Reddit summed it up pretty well. "To win with Kokoro just give up on all your character's strengths and try to win with better fundamentals."

XxNoriakixX

Certain known tournament players rank her top 5, over Busa, Hayate and Rig. I do not understand why because you can beat Kokoro just by using sidestep attacks. And if you compare her with almost unsteppable characters like the ninja... just no. AND trashing Leifang who has some of the better anti ss tools and who is still top 10 imo.

Strangerinmytub

Certain known tournament players rank her top 5, over Busa, Hayate and Rig. I do not understand why because you can beat Kokoro just by using sidestep attacks. And if you compare her with almost unsteppable characters like the ninja... just no. AND trashing Leifang who has some of the better anti ss tools and who is still top 10 imo.

Links to these quotes? The only high level player I've seen using Kokoro is YinCrescent and I don't think he ever said anything about her being super strong.

Strangerinmytub

OK so I just watched Xcaliburbladez style on some Hayabusa in some tournament as Kokoro and it was very interesting to see how he played. It seemed like once he landed one move on Kokoro the next few were basically guaranteed, which never happens in my experience online. He likes to use heichu straight out of neutral instead of combo-ing it out of PP or P2K which is something that I should do more often because it is more reliable. He also uses 6PPP a lot, partially since it's just a good move but also because the 2nd hit tracks. However, it also looked like the Hayabusa had no idea how to play the matchup because he never held after Heichu's (Xcal never went for a throw punish after Heichu but maybe busa was just scared to hold?) and got hit by pretty much every move after. He also never punished the 9KH spam. Towards the end the Busa also started sidestepping and avoiding a lot of Kokoro's moves so it'll be interesting to see whether Kokoro remains a strong pick if people start abusing sidesteps. Overall my opinion of Kokoro has gone up after seeing that performance and I'll have to try her out some more whenever I get back to my computer.

XxNoriakixX

Tbh, every character looks strong when Xcal picks them. Kokoro has a little bug going on with her 66P+K at the moment, seems to be an infinite when you spam her P+K follow-up. Did this for some arcade costume grinding. But things like this should not be considered when creating tier lists since it will be patched out anyways.

D_EEM_0

Hmmm... I did notice on Honoka's moveset 66p+k it was a reset. So ig its the same for Kokoro's combos. I use her neutral Heichu alot. And it helps alot w mixups, but the sidestep will take priority over that which makes it useless to use if someone is accustomed to sidesteps.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD