Kokoro's new moves

Baji Breakdancer

Yeah, I don't think I ever really used :4::4::P: beyond very specific situations. :7::P: is just such a useful sabaki- relatively safe and easier to land.

I'm still kind of concerned that Kokoro's not going to be in a good place at launch because of how strong sidestepping is. She's dependent on long-ish strings and still pretty linear. Hopefully her mixup game will get even more flavor with the new :s: options.

(Unrelated, but also I just noticed the character icons. They are very good.:kokoro:)

juliusxcix

Yeah, I don't think I ever really used :4::4::P: beyond very specific situations. :7::P: is just such a useful sabaki- relatively safe and easier to land.

I'm still kind of concerned that Kokoro's not going to be in a good place at launch because of how strong sidestepping is. She's dependent on long-ish strings and still pretty linear. Hopefully her mixup game will get even more flavor with the new :s: options.

(Unrelated, but also I just noticed the character icons. They are very good.:kokoro:)
we still haven’t seen her fatal stun. i cant think of any quick sit down moves that kokoro has. im worried its gonna be a move at the end of an entire string

Strangerinmytub

I think it'll help her a lot if her new 4K has tracking, but generally speaking I think you're right. I only played DOA5 but from my experience Kokoro is a super balanced/average character (like Orianna from League of Legends). She is almost never "bad" and is a viable pick into a lot of matchups, but she is also never a god tier or tournament winning level character either.

Baji Breakdancer

Yeah, she's always kind of middle-of-the-pack in my experience, with her most consistent strengths being lots of safe moves and good mixup game. As such, it shouldn't take too much tweaking to keep her balanced/relevant. At least I hope.

NightAntilli

Kokoro is extremely versatile. I wouldn't say she's not tournament viable. Her only real weakness is her linearity, and even then, it's not THAT bad. The one character that can definitely give her nightmares is Christie. Other than that, she can hold her own against pretty much anyone else. I also used to think that she has weak lows, but, in reality I don't think it really matters, because she has a bunch of tools to open up turtles. And one of the main things people forget about Kokoro, is that she can delay the majority of her strings like crazy, which is one of the things that can be used to counter sidesteppers. Not only that, but it's easy to bait an attack out of the opponent that way. And she hits like a tank. And she is viable at all distances & every range. And she has good launchers. And she has a good back turned game. I mean... She's more than viable.

Kokoro was my main in DOA4. Say what you will about DOA4, but it was a good game to teach you how to mix up your game, simply because everything at any time was counterable. It really gave me a solid mix-up game in general that I will always use, both for Kokoro and my other characters. I remember at that time the still (relatively) unknown Emann was impressed with my Kokoro in DOA4 online, and wanted to learn her, which he did. After him reaching popularity, well, let's just say some things change. But my Kokoro definitely had an influence on his. His mix-up heavy style is a remainder of the DOA4 days.

XxNoriakixX

I think Koko is underrated. People bash and downplay her but her weaknesses were never a big deal and good frame datas are rare in DoA. I always consider them when thinking about tier ratings. Characters such as Ayane are considered top tier but we do not see her very often either, because she is only good on paper and you should never ever get hit by anything from her besides 5P and 2P. Her strings are easy to read with obvious animations, without variation and yet people go crazy over her. Hajin would be more consistent with a better character. New players/readers should not become discouraged just because their characters are not seen very often in finals, it took them 5 years to see that Eliot was good.

Strangerinmytub

Slightly off-topic but I'm thinking of picking up an off-role character to play outside of Kokoro (preferably a female character but I can work with a dude I guess). Which characters are most similar to Kokoro gameplay wise?

juliusxcix

Slightly off-topic but I'm thinking of picking up an off-role character to play outside of Kokoro (preferably a female character but I can work with a dude I guess). Which characters are most similar to Kokoro gameplay wise?
eliot. i play both of them the same way. eliot has some nice resets and now hes gonna have more (genfus air grab)

both have similar combo lengths but insane damage. they hit hard. theyre my bbies.

Baji Breakdancer

I play Helena as my alt because of their complementary kung fu styles, but yeah if you want someone who actually plays more like Kokoro, Eilot's a good choice. I find some of his strings harder to use, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

NightAntilli

Eliot is indeed the closest to Kokoro in gameplay style. Maybe Honoka can be used in a similar way as well, although her weaknesses are more prevalent than Kokoro's, particularly her range. Maybe NiCO will also be close to Kokoro in terms of play style, but for that, we'll have to wait and see.

juliusxcix

Eliot is indeed the closest to Kokoro in gameplay style. Maybe Honoka can be used in a similar way as well, although her weaknesses are more prevalent than Kokoro's, particularly her range. Maybe NiCO will also be close to Kokoro in terms of play style, but for that, we'll have to wait and see.
koko, eliot and honoka are my favorites (and best) characters. i didnt mention honoka tho bc i feel she might play differently in 6 with all of her new stuff. NICO does look like another kokoro type to me so im hyped to try her out.

D_EEM_0

I've realized through playing the beta that Kokoro's air grab can be tied in from standing if using (Left P). It is a very useful tool for extending combos. Kokoro's mix ups now have that extra kick that can be chained from Heichu, so it makes it more difficult for people to guess since the guesses used to be only be high, low, or mid punch. People normally spam counter mid or low punch when you use Heichu so the kick is very useful. I suggest using that more because your less inclined to be countered and it has a different stun animation( which actually feels longer than most of her stuns; but then again there was a lot of input lag in the beta) which helps set up for combos.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD