Community Kwiggle and XCaliburBladeZ Chosen To Represent North America at the DOA Festival

Tom Lee and Big E Gaming have just announced that Kristian "MC Kwiggle" McLean and Ryane "XCalibur BladeZ" Jimenez will be representing North America at the Dead or Alive Festival in Tokyo, Japan on August 1st. The pair will be provided airfare and board by Koei Tecmo.

10730845_1512960685612877_5706284923366133904_n.jpg

Ryane was known as one of the early competitors to dominate the Dead or Alive 5 and Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate scene with his Helena, Alpha 152, and Eliot. He's also been known to play a variety of characters in addition to those two so he may have some up his sleeve for just such an occasion. It will be interesting to see if Ryane uses his Alpha 152 in Japan, as it's been reported that Japan believes her to be one of the worst characters in the game.

10350404_1512960998946179_4776205192754709727_n.jpg

Kristian is considered one of the top dogs in Dead or Alive 5 Last Round era of the series. He's the current top scoring player for Team NINJA's Battle Royal 2015 tournament series. He also is a player with a wide range of character usage including Christie, Rachel, Phase 4, and Lisa. It will be interesting to see how Japan handles his excellent adaptation skills with characters that really show off the system and can create a lot of pressure.

I'm sure both players are going to be asked to make the most of their time by experiencing the Japanese Arcade. Dead or Alive 5 coming to the arcades has really stepped up the Japanese play level in the game, so don't count the Japanese out. They've been growing over the past three years just as much as the United States has.

11696546_10152949608850778_6986728618456704961_o.jpg

The next stop of the Battle Royal 2015 will be Evolution 2015 as a side tournament with a $1000 pot bonus provided by Team NINJA on July 18th in Las Vegas, NV. Both players are expected to show for the event, and then they will be off to Japan. At about the same time, the European representative will be decided, with most hedging their bets towards Gehaktbal being the winner to represent the EU.

This is certainly a great year for competitive Dead or Alive 5, as the competitive scene continues to show off great skill and great personalities, and we're only half-way through the first Battle Royal!

What's the tournament format? I'm assuming single elim, 2/3 because that (iirc) is the standard for jp tournaments. If so, it will be really interesting to see if the jp players can adapt fast enough to Xcal's alpha before they get run over. They seem to underestimate her, though maybe they just have better anti-alpha tech. I also want to see if the usa players can adapt quickly to popular jp characters. I believe Akira is really popular there, so I hope Xcal and Kwiggles have some anti-Akira stuff prepared.

They do, but this one is being run on PlayStation 4.

Each of the Team NINJA official tournaments have been on PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4.

I see. That's good to know. Woulda been a crappy situation for the pad players otherwise, to not be able to show their potential if arcade machines were being used instead.

What's the tournament format? I'm assuming single elim, 2/3 because that (iirc) is the standard for jp tournaments. If so, it will be really interesting to see if the jp players can adapt fast enough to Xcal's alpha before they get run over. They seem to underestimate her, though maybe they just have better anti-alpha tech. I also want to see if the usa players can adapt quickly to popular jp characters. I believe Akira is really popular there, so I hope Xcal and Kwiggles have some anti-Akira stuff prepared.

I've been watching Nico videos of the past DOA festival and previous JPN tournaments and there is only 1 Akira player there. (Maybe "now" there might be Akira but I wouldn't put it on the safe side that there is more than one. If anything, I see a lot of Kasumi, Hayate, Eliot and Kokoro..but this wouldn't justify as a final result, I would be shocked if there are a ton of Akira players over there and will make me smile if there is since he's underrated.)

Last edited:
I've been watching Nico videos of the past DOA festival and previous JPN tournaments and there is only 1 Akira player there. (Maybe "now" there might be Akira but I wouldn't put it on the safe side that there is more than one. If anything, I see a lot of Kasumi, Hayate, Eliot and Kokoro..but this wouldn't justify as a final result, I would be shocked if there are a ton of Akira players over there and will make me smile if there is since he's underrated.)
Which is odd considering that VF is essentially the top 3D fighter in JPN and I'd assume that majority of the DOA players there would have experience with or have dabbled in VF before.

Which is odd considering that VF is essentially the top 3D fighter in JPN and I'd assume that majority of the DOA players there would have experience with or have dabbled in VF before.

That was my thought at first but that's a bit shallow with that assumption since it could be totally incorrect and it's a whole random number, who knows really. It's not like they would automatically pick a VF character as soon as they pick up DOA. Still, it's a possibility so it could happen and everything I said wouldn't really matter...but watching past videos of vanilla and 5U with only seeing 1-2, I will go with the doubt but I like surprises so it's whatever.

Last edited:

Interesting. My info was second hand and I personally don't follow Japan's doa scene much, so it would not be farfetched if I was wrong, though I would be disappointed since I was anticipating some quality Akira play.

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/lastround/us/doa_festival.html

Final Trials In Tokyo
How to join: Registration will be on-site at the Dead or Alive Festival.The tournament will be capped at 144 players.
Qualifier matches will be drawn at random.
Single elimination matches.
Players will be divided into 9 groups.
The winner of each group will advance to the World Exhibition Match.
Winners will be determined by a single match.

World Exhibition Match
The World Exhibition Match will see the 9 group winners from the Final Trials in Tokyo and the 7 invited players face off in a stunning 16-person tournament.
16-person tournament.
Single elimination matches.
Preliminary matches through Semi-finals will be determined by the best of 3 matches.
The loser of the previous match gets the right to pick their character last.
Please click here for a diagram of the tournament structure.

Restrictions to Tournament Participation
Entrant must be 17 years old or older.

Regulations
Players may change characters for every match.
Players may choose any character.
Before a match, the players will play rock-paper-scissors. The winner has the right to determine side selection and character selection order.
Side Selection: Player can choose left or right side (1P or 2P side).
Character Selection Order: Player can select which character to use after the opponent selects.

Equipment
Platform:
PlayStation®4
Monitors: Benq RL2460HT [image]
Controllers: Each station will have both HORI Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa Series joysticks [image] and DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controllers

BRINGING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER

Players may use their own controllers or arcade sticks which are compatible with PlayStation®4 systems.
In order to prevent hardware issues, the use of converters for controllers designed for use with Xbox 360 or Xbox One is prohibited.
The use of controller-specific functionality including but not limited to rapid fire or macros is prohibited. Any players caught using controller-specific functionality will be disqualified.
KOEI TECMO GAMES is not responsible for the behavior and functionality of any controllers which players bring to the event. If a controller which a player brings does not work, please use one of the controllers provided by the event.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD