Learn the difference between casual and competitive.

lopedo

I know this probably won't get anywhere considering the group I'm attempting to communicate to, but I'll try anyways. <3

ONLINE= CASUAL unless otherwise stated by me or whoever the fuck you are playing at the time.

Let me clarify as to why and what this means.

To start off with, online is shit. The netcode is shit. As in, bad design. Game lags. Now, for those of us who aren't nerds with no life like me, let me explain what this means. Say you spam an unsafe move offline, right? Unsafe move= move that I can punish. Punish= can hit you after blocking your unsafe move which is why it's called un safe, as in not safe, get me? K. Online, right, I can't hit you. That's because of frames. Frames are like window frames, the more lag there is, the more rain gets in. So at that point, the game becomes distorted. And thus, online is not a serious or competitive match.

Now what this means is, that, if you go into a random room where I'm playing random and sucking terribly with some character that nobody cares about because they aren't broken yet, and you beat me, I don't care. Your text in the lobby is meaningless. It makes you look fucking stupid. You are fucking stupid. So don't be fucking stupid.

I haven't lost to anybody online that has inspired this, I just thought I'd drop this off as a friendly reminder to all those new kids who have l33t skillz and don't walk out of tournaments like I do.

PS: Keep nerfing Jann Lee.
PPS: Buff Helena and Sarah.
PPPS: #teamlopedo

HiguraShiki

I used to be a bit iffy now, but I completely understand what you mean. It took a bunch of losses online to realize.
In particular, I was always losing to specific characters because they appeared to be completely safe on block. However, when I had tested these moves offline in training, I was able to punish them all. Every single one of them. One person in particular seemed to have a never ending offense, where no matter what I block, I could not punish anything with any move.

Once you begin to realize the bullshit, it all makes sense in the end.

Blazeincarnated

Lopedo you are the biggest hypocrite. You talk as if anybody is less of a scrub than you are, and you're the biggest of all...

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Lopedo you are the biggest hypocrite. You talk as if anybody is less of a scrub than you are, and you're the biggest of all...
Don't get me wrong. Despite his setback in a recent offline tourney, Lopedo can still back up what he says quite well.

He's not the same Lopedo he was several years ago, despite what you may have heard from Tom Brady.

DR2K

Whenever I watch offline play is mirrors online play to a T. Not sure if it's because most people train online, their reaction times get duller, or the fact tha the netcode can be competant at times.

DrDogg

Whenever I watch offline play is mirrors online play to a T. Not sure if it's because most people train online, their reaction times get duller, or the fact tha the netcode can be competant at times.

It's because the overall level of skill is very low right now. People train online and don't bother to find out what actually works offline or how the match changes offline.

Most Helena players are a great example of this. They attack relentlessly as if they're always at advantage. Online, you can't do anything about it. She basically has a 10-0 against every character. Offline, you can shut her down pretty easily if you have solid defense. But very few people make the transition, so you continue to see Helena players attack relentlessly offline, and people just sit there getting hit all day.

Something-Unique

I find DOA interesting because almost every top player in the community was an online warrior at some point in the past more so than any other fg by a landslide. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see blow ups from top competitors from other games if they understood how the game works and gave it the time.

The general level of the player base for this game is pretty f'in bad. Not even trying to offend anyone but it's extremely rare to come across anything competent or see it and that includes a lot of offline heads as well.

lopedo

Holy shit, competent responses. Except for the guy who called me a scrub, who I've never heard of, who will have nothing to offer me in life or in the competitive scene of this game because he's trash. Good game, you fucking idiot. Good. Fucking. Game.

Anyways, I'm in agreement with a lot of stuff said here. Most players don't like to find their own shit out. I see a ton of Helena players imitating Mamba and Emann. Only about two of them know why they are doing it. The rest do it because she's supposedly good, which fuck me, she is, but if I could block her low sweep online and hold the god damn mid mick from her back turn, which IS NOT GUARANTEED, she wouldn't be as good. By the way, I can block things on reaction, just not online. Because of lag. Lag is fucking stupid. This game lags online. A lot.

The level of play online is shit. Ask Rikuto. I spam Kokoro's unsafe moves and end up at MASSIVE ADVANTAGE! But let's look at it this way. I spam unsafe moves, win the match, right? Good for me. The difference between me and the usual online player is that THEY WILL GO OFFLINE AND DO THIS, AND LOSE! I won't, because I know better, right? No. I might, because DOA doesn't allow true defense. Helena, let's go back to that dumb whore, is one of the only characters you even need to defend against. Most of the characters can be outmashed with a faster move. That's HOW THE GAME PLAYS.

So that brings us to Ryujin's sticky thread. Nerf this, fuck that, buff this, fix that. No, no no no. STOP FUCKING NERFING AND BUFFING SHIT. Change the mechanics of the game. Make a side step... side step. You get 15 frames of invincibility with most characters on sidestep. That's it. Why does ppp with any character track? Are they all tracking moves? No, the side stepping system is as half assed as the rest of the game. It's trash. Go play Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter... I mean fuck, I can avoid moves better in 2D fucking fighting games. That's pathetic and how it got through the testing stages I'll never know.

I'm getting way off track here. Maybe I'll eventually make a thread noting all of the changes that I want to see without putting a focus on character nerfs/buffs. Everybody is too fucking nerf happy. I'm not butthurt about Jann Lee "needing a nerf". Nerf him to hell and back. Without trolling, I'm better than 99.9% of the players in this community simply because I understand something they don't: the game. I understand blocking, punishing and setting up combos that aren't copy paste flavor of the day, but combos that I set up, found with others, that work in certain situations. So you can nerf Lee. You can nerf EVERYTHING, I'm still going to be the better player in most situations.

The problem? The game won't let me show you that because it's broken. It's broken, and it's trash. And until we change the game, not the characters, the fucking game, it'll always be broken trash.

#teamlopedo

Chaos

I know this probably won't get anywhere considering the group I'm attempting to communicate to, but I'll try anyways. <3

ONLINE= CASUAL unless otherwise stated by me or whoever the fuck you are playing at the time.

Let me clarify as to why and what this means.

To start off with, online is shit. The netcode is shit. As in, bad design. Game lags. Now, for those of us who aren't nerds with no life like me, let me explain what this means. Say you spam an unsafe move offline, right? Unsafe move= move that I can punish. Punish= can hit you after blocking your unsafe move which is why it's called un safe, as in not safe, get me? K. Online, right, I can't hit you. That's because of frames. Frames are like window frames, the more lag there is, the more rain gets in. So at that point, the game becomes distorted. And thus, online is not a serious or competitive match.

Now what this means is, that, if you go into a random room where I'm playing random and sucking terribly with some character that nobody cares about because they aren't broken yet, and you beat me, I don't care. Your text in the lobby is meaningless. It makes you look fucking stupid. You are fucking stupid. So don't be fucking stupid.

I haven't lost to anybody online that has inspired this, I just thought I'd drop this off as a friendly reminder to all those new kids who have l33t skillz and don't walk out of tournaments like I do.

PS: Keep nerfing Jann Lee.
PPS: Buff Helena and Sarah.
PPPS: #teamlopedo
PPPPS: Patch the damn netcode TN! lol

Gill Hustle

Most Helena players are a great example of this. They attack relentlessly as if they're always at advantage. Online, you can't do anything about it. She basically has a 10-0 against every character. Offline, you can shut her down pretty easily if you have solid defense. But very few people make the transition, so you continue to see Helena players attack relentlessly offline, and people just sit there getting hit all day.

^This

Since I've "settled" and been trying to get better at the game I've been doing A LOT of ranked matches and saving ALL Helena matches to review her tactics.

Analyzing what/where can be SS and throw punished. It's been kinda enlightening as I always had trouble fighthing Helena in previous games and post NEC I've been trying see ways Ayane can beat her.

Varying player skills aside I don't think she's that difficult anymore.

Blazeincarnated

Is that why Dr Dogg said that low tier characters can shine better because of the laws of online? Thats booty. As much as I love DOA.... Fuck this game and give me Bloody Roar 5!

X51

The closer the "gamming system" is to the original arcade the best to proof players' skills. That's a fact.
If you, like me, can't adapt to that "Xframes lag-advantage" the opponent has is not only the game's fault. Also, if you foresee you don't have to "react" so much and therefore that advantage can be reduced or eliminated.
What you can't fight is that if you hold H on wake-up but still you get hitted is because the imput arrived late to the "server". I feel that a lot in BB where while you wake-up just need to hold 1 to defend from every hit except aereals or overheads but I get poked because the imput "arrives" later to the server.
I try to avoid this by fighting friends (you cannot get angry at them) or choosing the best quality connections, but sometimes is just imposible.

DrDogg

If you, like me, can't adapt to that "Xframes lag-advantage" the opponent has is not only the game's fault.

What else is at fault other than the game/net code?

Also, if you foresee you don't have to "react" so much and therefore that advantage can be reduced or eliminated.

If you "foresee" you're just guessing. When you react to something there's no guess involved at all. Huge difference.

X51

You can "foresee" combos/links/enders if you know the character you are playing against. I can't because this is my first DOA.

The "fault" is also "ours" for not having the ability to delay/accelerate "input rythm".

But, it's frustrating until you start to get used to 3, 4 or 5 "stars" quality connections.

HiguraShiki

You can "foresee" combos/links/enders if you know the character you are playing against. I can't because this is my first DOA.

The "fault" is also "ours" for not having the ability to delay/accelerate "input rythm".

But, it's frustrating until you start to get used to 3, 4 or 5 "stars" quality connections.
But the opponent doesn't have to do the full string, he/she can just free cancel it.

X51

Is everything free cancelable? Is safer to free cancel? Is impossible to punish free cancel?

HiguraShiki

Is everything free cancelable? Is safer to free cancel? Is impossible to punish free cancel?
It isn't impossible to punish free cancel, For some reason online it seems that certain characters (Hitomi) can just keep on free canceling and you can never punish them, but it is actually BS. Online delay makes it nearly impossible to punish on reaction (aka right after you blocked).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD