Lei Fang Beginner Guide

Chris Harris

Lei Fang Beginner Guide​
Lei Fang is a very strange character that excels at (in DOA5) strong mix up with a wide range of defensive options. It isn’t very hard to open up an opponent at lower levels (does not struggle stuns) but at higher levels you have to use some of her stronger mix up options to make her scary. We’ll start small and work our way up.

:P: :P: and it’s variations – This is one of your bread and butter starters for your offense. It leads into so many variations it’s difficult to sidestep or even warrant it because of what Lei Fang gets if she lands a stun. :P: :P: :P: is safe and you can take it into her stance( by holding :4: ) that parries all mid and high punches (like Hitomi’s punch parry). We’ll get into those options later in this guide though. She also has :P: :P: :6: :P: which will track an opponent trying to escape the high or low variation. The low variation :P: :P: :2: :K: can be stepped but is hard to see and the fear of being hit by the mid will keep your opponent from ducking too much. Not to be relied on but it is a strong tool regardless.

:1: :P: - This can crush high attacks and although it’s not the best crush in the world it is still a strong tool if someone is pressuring you recklessly. It can also go into the stance while having a follow up (not safe) and the initial attack is also unsafe but having the follow up it might as well be safe.

:6: :F+K: - This move is awesome to cover distance with especially against those that don’t like to sidestep often. Don’t believe the myth that people will step everything and that they will sidewalk everything. This move is strong as it allows combo on every hit situation and is +5 on block. This is an excellent attack to throw out until they show you that they will stop it.

:4: :P+K: - The punch parry! No longer is Hitomi the only character that stops all punches (excluding lows). Now this move is a great way to put the opponent in a horrible situation. The attacks can be stepped but it has an offensive hold that grants free combo or stun. Don’t be afraid to use this outside of the string cancels because this tool is super strong with her game.

:K: :2: :K: - This string is great. It gives great push back and if it hits you can get a small damaging juggle and set up your wake up game.

:3: :P: / :6: :P: - These are your main counter pokes. While :3: :P: doesn’t track it has the super awesome follow up of :4: :P: so it will catch someone trying to step (kind of character dependent).
:1: :P+K: - Can be stepped but no matter how much you charge it you end up at advantage to continue pressure. Strong move to throw out here and there but don’t get to happy with it.

These are the main attacks I’m using while fighting against my opponent. I have other situational attacks that I may use but for the most part I stick to these attacks prior to getting a stun. So feel free to branch out to other pokes these are just my pokes that I use when I am successful.

Now to move on to when we have actually stunned our opponent and we want to put the hurt on them.

Let’s talk launchers first though so we know what we should be doing.

:6: :6: :K: - This is the launcher I usually go to as it gives a high launch for my juggles.

:8: :K: - I use this launcher sparingly because it is a high. I don’t prefer high launchers because people might low hold and I’ll miss it and be hella upset about it.

:3: :P+K: - Another great launcher though it turns you backwards so you have to take the juggle you get from that.

:3: :K: :P+K: - A nice string launcher that is pretty safe to do for the most part as the launcher is hold resistant. The launcher is pretty much whatever you get from :3: :P+K:

She also has other launchers I just don’t use them as often as these launchers. Feel free to use whatever you feel is your preference.

Now on to Unshu (punch parry) so we can understand the options. I won’t go into super detail but will give a quick rundown of the stance.

Unshu :P: is a high attack that can go back into the stance and basically repeat itself. The attack is pretty fast but it’s not something to go crazy with.

Unshu :P+K: is a mid attack that gives a double over stun. Great move to put the opponent in a 50/50.

Unshu :2: :K: is a standard low that can be struggled.

Unshu :F+P: is the throw from the stance. This throw is actually an offensive hold so it’s very strong. Not to mention you get a free launcher (:P+K:) or a free stun that can get to CB very quickly.

Let’s finish up here and talk general stun game. She has a great range of attacks once she lands a stun that just easily nets you great damage no matter when the stun happened. She also has great reset potential as well because of Unshu.

The easy way to force a strong guessing game is to hit these attacks:
:3: :P: ( :4: )

:6: :P: ( :4: )

:3: :K:

:3: :P: :4: :P:

:6: :4: :P:

:P: :2: :P:

:K: and it’s many variations

:9: :P: ( :4: )

Unshu :P: ( :4: )

These attacks either lead into Unshu or give a stun deep enough to go for a launcher without them being able to struggle it. In some cases you are even able to do the launcher right away and if they held from the stun instantly they still get hit by the launcher guessing right!

Feel free to ask questions about my reasoning or other attacks you feel should be added. Just remember this is more of a get you into Lei Fang guide than master Lei Fang guide.

GLoRToR

Yep, but such info is vital for a true character breakdown, so whenever you are done, I'll link to this thread :)
At the moment I'm waiting to type out her frame data. Meanwhile, I wonder if you could include a description for all her moves, what the move is for, what it definitely doesn't work for etc including stuff like "This is her best launcher" or "This launcher is situational as in:" and so on?

Chris Harris

Yep, but such info is vital for a true character breakdown, so whenever you are done, I'll link to this thread :)
At the moment I'm waiting to type out her frame data. Meanwhile, I wonder if you could include a description for all her moves, what the move is for, what it definitely doesn't work for etc including stuff like "This is her best launcher" or "This launcher is situational as in:" and so on?

It won't be for every move but for moves of interest lol. You can do what you want with it when I post it. Once I get home I'll be able to write it out.

GLoRToR

That's already an amazing undertaking! I'll get the gaps filled in. I'm trying to get all of my favourite characters spelled out to great detail. It's already a daunting task to remember every move of every character, having a file for each of them for the community is a good start.

wali

thanks you bro good work. after her unshou throw i use :6::6::K: to launch is it guaranteed and what the best option after her :3::h: hold ?.

NukNuks

On point. It's worth mentioning that she also has her :4: :6: :P: attack which is pretty fast and great for spacing, sending your opponent into a wall/dangerzone, or ending a combo. Unsafe on block.

phoenix1985gr

Great info thanks! Just out of curiosity pp2k or 2f+k stuns and is +7 on fast stagger escape, but i guess because of the animation - recovery of Lei Fang i coudnt find anything to continue the stun am i doing something wrong or should i see this move as just advantage and not exactly stun into possibmy CB or launch?

NukNuks

Great info thanks! Just out of curiosity pp2k or 2f+k stuns and is +7 on fast stagger escape, but i guess because of the animation - recovery of Lei Fang i coudnt find anything to continue the stun am i doing something wrong or should i see this move as just advantage and not exactly stun into possibmy CB or launch?

If you get the low sweep on counter blow you can follow up with :K: :F+K: which leads into a juggle. Both the kicks can be held.

NightAntilli

thanks you bro good work. after her unshou throw i use :6::6::K: to launch is it guaranteed and what the best option after her :3::h: hold ?.
Yes the :6::6::K: is guaranteed after ther unshu throw. For more damage you can use use her :6::4::P: for the faint stun (which is also guaranteed), and then use :6::6::K: (which would still be guaranteed).

As for her :3::h:, I copied this from one of the other threads I posted in:

Yeah the camera change from her mid parry can really throw you off. Because of that, I was trying to find something that would work for both. It's technically not guaranteed, but, it's something.. If you use :K::2::K:, the cpu is only capable of blocking and holding the 2nd kick when stagger escape is set to fastest. Yes, in theory they can hold the mid kick if they stagger escape fast enough, but the chances of that happening are slim because the move happens so fast. If stagger escape is set to fast or lower, the cpu can't escape or hold it, and it gives you a launcher. It's a crappy launcher tbh, but at least you get some damage off of it easily, instead of nothing, despite the camera switch.. If it's blocked you're at -8, but the move pushes pretty far back so I don't think they can grab punish you easily. So yeah.. This basically:

:3::h:, :K::2::K:, :9::P::P: - (53 dmg)
or
:3::h:, :K::2::K:, :H+K:, :2::K: (down attack), (45 + 15 dmg)

The down attack is guaranteed on the second one. You can try it on the first but it's not guaranteed there since they can tech roll. Both of them work on everyone. First one is better when in the vicinity of walls since it slams them into it for additional damage, second in open space.

These other moves are guaranteed, but, it's hard to connect* them because of the camera shenanigans, or are simply useless.

:P:
:3::P:
:9::K::K:*
:4::6::P:*
:6::6::P:*
:6::K:*
:4::K:

You might be able to use the starred ones to your advantage when it parries a mid kick. The camera only changes sides on mid punches, so yeah.. These are 100% guaranteed, unlike what I posted above, which could be called semi-guaranteed. You might want to do :4::6::P: because it always hits as a close hit, which is 60 damage. That is only on kicks. On punches it's 40 damage (no close hit). I personally am not fast enough to react to it being a punch or kick so I'll stick with :K::2::K: xD

mikeohara

I recently entered a offline DOA5 tournament in Dallas (Texas Bar Fights X) and went 0-2 with my Leifang. The worst thing was I had a game practically won against an Eliot (2 rounds to nil) and he came back and busted me. Of course, Master won the whole thing but I was very surprised to take a round off him in pre-tourney casuals, which led me here to learn more =)

Chris Harris

You should expect so many different Lei's now because of how strong she is. Probably will be the most Lei's ever recorded in DOA history lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD