Lei Fang

daman077c

I'm gonna try that out. Was wondering if I could do something with more damage.

Yeah, outside of pp6pp in a juggle, I don't know if pp4ppp would work (IDK if you'd need to free cancel after the first two punches) for anything outside of a high-counter launch.

My (Phimy) Do

Shw is definitely better then before I played her since forever.

Juggling is a breeze imo now.

Parry is your friend jf you can execute it correctly shes def. Deadly if shes used right.

My (Phimy) Do

Ok, maybe I did miss the "now" part, but I still don't think that sabakis have any real use, especially when Lei has so many good crushes. And I don't see her game revolving around her parries at all. I mean, look what punishere did at HIN.

He might have connected with the parry, what, 3 times. She has so many other tools at her disposal. Leifang has always been about spacing with 2F+K, evading highs with moves like 1P and 1P+K, and high damage combos after you launch, which is a little easier now with the return of her old K2K.

Her options with parries just make her even scarier to fight against.

Edit: Gunstar hit it on the head. She was always a solid char, and now that she has some new tools, without taking too many nerfs just makes her more solid
Ok, maybe I did miss the "now" part, but I still don't think that sabakis have any real use, especially when Lei has so many good crushes. And I don't see her game revolving around her parries at all. I mean, look what punishere did at HIN.

He might have connected with the parry, what, 3 times. She has so many other tools at her disposal. Leifang has always been about spacing with 2F+K, evading highs with moves like 1P and 1P+K, and high damage combos after you launch, which is a little easier now with the return of her old K2K.

Her options with parries just make her even scarier to fight against.

Edit: Gunstar hit it on the head. She was always a solid char, and now that she has some new tools, without taking too many nerfs just makes her more solid

Thats how leifang needs to be played well done :D

Lobo

Yeah, outside of pp6pp in a juggle, I don't know if pp4ppp would work (IDK if you'd need to free cancel after the first two punches) for anything outside of a high-counter launch.

PP4PPP doesn't exist anymore. PP4P is her old PPP now. Its a shame too, because she could use more ways to get into BT because of the BT P+K sit-down stun.

edit: I see what you were trying to say. PP (FC) 4PPP (probably should've been a little more clear on that so to not confuse others.) but yea, that doesn't work, the free cancel just takes too much time.

Thats how leifang needs to be played well done :D
Yea punishere has always had a great leifang. Shame he doesn't post here too much, I wanted to pick his brain on how he felt about the new Lei.

Since the Lei boards seems pretty void of actual strategy tips, and since no one else has got to it yet, I guess I'll try to contribute and start a thread describing her changes and how to play her well.

Talim JP

Leifang practitioner
Premium Donor
Lobo- Please do!
When I get some time (busy w/work, etc) I'm gonna try to get up to speed and wanna make a killa Leifang.

DOA5

Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know that kick, down, kick can no longer be followed up with most of Leifang's punches in order to combo. It leads to a lot of whiffs and missed opportunities. It can lead to a ground game if you follow it up with up+forward, punch, punch, then a ground stomp if the opponent does not tech.

Her parries, surprisingly are still useful. It changes both your position and the opponent's position. You can follow it up with a low kick that leads into a low down, free+kick (Leifang's signature ground slide). You can delay the slide after the low kick and it totally messes people up. So yes her parries are still useful if you need them.

Her new punch only parries can be followed up with a punch, a throw, or a ground slide (down, free+kick). I just have to go into the lab to find more uses for it.

Overall, our Leifang is an even more amazing character this time around. She does not take anything from anyone. Not Helena, not Bass, Hayabusa, or Bayman.

Punishere

k2k on counter hit will link to 6k 3k p+k. Parries will usually reverse your opponent to the other side. You can get a guaranteed stun using 6k as well if you fast enough. (Timing is tight on that)

Gamut

k2k on counter hit will link to 6k 3k p+k. Parries will usually reverse your opponent to the other side. You can get a guaranteed stun using 6k as well if you fast enough. (Timing is tight on that)

You can substitute 3k p+k with kk for more damage against lighter characters.

DOA5

Thank guys, those are great strategies! I noticed that Leifang can space like there's no tomorrow. You can definitely bait your opponent using her charged knock away punch, or just place a distance game effectively in general.

Her new punch-only parry is quite handy and can lead into stuns if you time it correctly to mess your opponent up. Her high punch sabaki (forward, P+K) will now crush/crumple/counter mid kicks instead of high hits it seems. She has a lot of tools at her disposal, it's a matter of utilizing everything in your arsenal to overwhelm your opponent.

newtype

From Lei Fang's 6H, what are some guaranteed damage? Seems like strikes can be back dash/turnaround blocked. Quarter circle forward throw is too slow. Is Quarter circle back throw the best option?

NightAntilli

From Lei Fang's 6H, what are some guaranteed damage? Seems like strikes can be back dash/turnaround blocked. Quarter circle forward throw is too slow. Is Quarter circle back throw the best option?
You mean her mid kick hold? I use..

Open area, but close enough to slam into wall/danger zone after the whole thing:
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::6::P::P:

Open area, with no walls/danger zones nearby:
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::6::P::K: (simply because I like the final positioning better than the one above)
or
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::K::H+K: (forced wake-up, misses on some of the heavier characters, can do :K::2::K: instead at the end)

Against heavier characters:
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :Link:, :3::P::K::K::2::K:
or
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :K::H+K:
or
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :P::2::P::K:

Against walls:
Basically same thing as above, except you start with :3::P:, :h: (cancel), :8::K: instead of :3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, because the kicks will slam them into the wall, killing your juggle and reducing your damage. They can't turn around after :3::P: so, yeah.

For the heavies, it would be better to just do this against walls:
:3::P:, :h:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :4::6::P:
or
:3::P:, :h:, :8::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::6::P::P:

NightAntilli

Click on the smiley icon and you can use them. Hold your mouse over the buttons to see their commands if you don't want to be clicking all the time.

newtype

You mean her mid kick hold? I use..

Open area, but close enough to slam into wall/danger zone after the whole thing:
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::6::P::P:

Open area, with no walls/danger zones nearby:
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::6::P::K: (simply because I like the final positioning better than the one above)
or
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::K::H+K: (forced wake-up, misses on some of the heavier characters, can do :K::2::K: instead at the end)

Against heavier characters:
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :Link:, :3::P::K::K::2::K:
or
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :K::H+K:
or
:3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :P::2::P::K:

Against walls:
Basically same thing as above, except you start with :3::P:, :h: (cancel), :8::K: instead of :3::P::K::K:, :8::K:, because the kicks will slam them into the wall, killing your juggle and reducing your damage. They can't turn around after :3::P: so, yeah.

For the heavies, it would be better to just do this against walls:
:3::P:, :h:, :8::K:, :h: (cancel), :9::K::K:, :Link:, :4::6::P:
or
:3::P:, :h:, :8::K:, :Link:, :3::P::P::6::P::P:

but they can try and do a counter hold after the 2nd hit right?

I also noticed when you do :6: :h: , the mid kick/punch hold, if you do :6::6::H+P: it's a frame trap. Only way out would be to crouch.

What positioning does Lei Fang need to be in to do her on the ground :P+K: unique move?

NightAntilli

but they can try and do a counter hold after the 2nd hit right?

I also noticed when you do :6: :h: , the mid kick/punch hold, if you do :6::6::H+P: it's a frame trap. Only way out would be to crouch.

What positioning does Lei Fang need to be in to do her on the ground :P+K: unique move?
No they can't. Why don't you test it yourself in training mode or with some friends? And for her :P+K: wake-up her head needs to be towards the opponent.

newtype

No they can't. Why don't you test it yourself in training mode or with some friends? And for her :P+K: wake-up her head needs to be towards the opponent.

oh you know I did in some ranked matches. Maybe it was the latency + lag where they escaped. But thanks for the help though.

NightAntilli

Hm no one has ever escaped it against me, even in the last online tourney.

Edit.. Now I'm wondering. Do you actually mean her mid kick hold, or do you mean one of her parries, as in, :3:/:9::h:? Because obviously then it won't work..

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD