Let's say DOA6 only has 20 original characters on release

Chapstick

5 Vanilla had 24 characters didn't it? Should be pick 25 characters, I don't think they'd have a smaller roster than the last vanilla installment. But w/e going by 20

:ayane::helena::kasumi::jannlee::leifang:
:kokoro::nyotengu::phase4::cyborg::hayabusa:
:zack::tina::eliot::honoka::marierose:
:bass::mila::hitomi::hayate:
^100% no doubt they'll be in
:bayman: or :lisa: for the last spot. Between the two of them though :lisa: has more of a chance

-The dlc characters will make it in, they wouldn't just make new characters and then kick them out. Marie Ro$e & Hoknockers have relation to the story and lots of popularity. Raidou & Phase 4 relate strongly to the story and will be bosses. Nyotengu might pop up as a boss hindering the heroes of 6's story just for her own amusement. All three will be unlockable if TN goes that route again.
-Jann, Lei, Zack, Bass, and Tina are all series staples.
-The four main ninjas need no explanation
-They wouldn't make Mila just to cut her in the next game lol. Rig will be in because of the story.
-Helena's pretty important and without her Marie would have no significance. Kokoro might have MIST stuff with her sis and Eliot will be back with some moves that the late Gen fu (RIP he slipped on ends of the earth while slip-stunning everyone else and shattered a hip and got sepsis because he couldn't make it to civilization in time to be properly treated) taught him between 5 and 6.
-Hitomi is female Ein

Kronin

Having to choose the priority on the first 20 characters to bring back in Doa6 I would say

:kasumi::hayabusa::hayate::ayane:

No need of more words, they are the main heroes and four most important characters in the roster despite the different popularity of Hayate and the same Ryu compared to the DoA girls;

:marierose::phase4::nyotengu::cyborg::honoka:

Each one of the DLC character imo was clearly added with in mind already an idea for its role in the story, something that got already hints with the little bits of infos released so far. I think that in no way TN will not bring back these characters in the next game. All of this putting aside the high popularity of Marie Rose & Honoka with Nyotengu behind them, Phase 4 main role in the stoyr and Raidou's tie with the high popular character of Honoka (more with him being brough back with in mind the old DoA fans).

:rig::mila:

How much strange can appear, Rig seems definitely to be more popular than Mila, at least getting in consideration it making the right proprotions between male and female characters. If I should have doubts about the possible absence of one of them, I will bet more on Mila than Rig. By the way, just like for the Doa5 DLC characters, I highly doubt that TN will decide to "degrate" the status of the new additions of DoA5, and imo both of them have an assured role in the next game. More, Rig has a main role in the main plot of the game.

:bass::bayman::jannlee::zack::eliot:

:hitomi::kokoro::momiji::tina::helena::leifang:

These are the most popular female characters for the Japanese audience and what I have the impression to be the most popular male ones. Anyway I know that this would bring the number of characters to 22, so appear hard to be able to cut 2 of these characters.

Starting from the males, I would say that are all safe: Bass, Eliot and Zack are fan favourites even from TN, while Jann Lee and Bayman are maybe less popular but however veterans and important characters for the story.

With the females I would say that there is no way for Hitomi and Kokoro to lose her placement. Momiji is the other high popular character, but maybe TN could decide to leave her as DLC considering that she come from NG (but on the opposite, even making her even more important assigning an effective role in the story mode). Helena is important for the story and Leifang and Tina are less popular but however iconic (with the latter being one of the old main sources of fanservice for the series).

Chapstick

Starting from the males, I would say that are all safe: Bass, Eliot and Zack are fan favourites even from TN, while Jann Lee and Bayman are maybe less popular but however veterans and important characters for the story.
I disagree here, I think Jann is the most popular male character out of those five. Definitely more popular than Bass, Zack, and Bayman.

Crext

Standard Donor
1447449616-phwaubo.png

With 34 characters in its roster (and soon 35), the DOA serie never had so many fighters in a single game.
This thread could have been called "what are the 20 characters TN should prioritize for a sequel ?", as it is obvious some of them won't be available on release. It's hard to believe Team Ninja will make 35+ new models on the due date, as Tecmo is apparently more and more pushing them to release games on restricted time. They would also need time to make new fighters from scratch.

Of course it doesn't prevent them from releasing all the missing characters with DLCs (like SF5 will do), but which characters should they include in the default cast, story mode and marketing strategy ? The same thing happened with Leon and Ein, who were planned for DOA5 Vanilla, but cut due to the lack of time, meaning they were the two characters with the least priority at the time.

I would like you to respect some criterias if you can, such as :
- their overall popularity in Japan and in the West
- the uniqueness of their gameplay and their individuality
- their relevance to the story and their relations to other characters

Also this is not a battle between fans, so let's be nice.

Time to theorize! Choose 20 characters between these 30 characters and be objective!

:alpha152::ayane::bass::bayman::bradwong::christie::ein::eliot::genfu::hayate:
:helena::hitomi::honoka::jannlee::kasumi::kokoro::La Mariposa::leifang::leon::marierose:
:mila::momiji::nyotengu::phase4::rachel::cyborg::rig::hayabusa::tina::zack:

VF characters are excluded
No arguments regarding dead characters

E.g : "Brad has poor relevance to the story, and is not the most popular character, but his fighting style is unique and most fighting games have a drunk guy... his choregraphies are nice, and if they want to advertize the removal of clipping, I'd say he would be a great candidate... also I feel like players need a trolling characters with multiple options... based on that, I'd say we should keep/remove him."

I feel the great challenge is to keep the "tournament" + ninja lore, and mix them together in a decent story. Basically the ninja's are the most important characters, but at the same time you need contenders for the tournament. As it stands right now, there is basically very few people to attend the tournament. unless they add "minions" they fill slots just to be taken out.

If we assume we need at least 8 characters to enter the tournament, I think it would be Honoka (which can interact with the ninja lore and is related to Mist), Jann, Lei, Hitomi, Eliot, Zack, Kokoro and a new character. The new character is related to Mist. Tina will become president of the US and Mila/Bass her bodyguard, which is a comical relief fight on the side. Helena will become high council of the EU and Marie-Rose as her bodyguard (basically enter the picture after you beat Zack). Rig + Christie works the shadows at Mist. Hayate + Ayane + Kasumi will fight Raidou in a side story, and Hayabusa will fight Nyotengu. Both Raidou and Nyotengu is related to Mist somehow.

So my 20 characters would be:

:ayane::christie::eliot::hayate::helena::hitomi::tina:
:honoka::jannlee::kasumi::kokoro::leifang::marierose::zack:
:mila::nyotengu::cyborg::rig::hayabusa:+ New character

This leaves Alpha, Phase 4, Bayman, Brad, Ein, Gen Fu, Bass/Mila, Lisa, Leon, Momiji, Rachel.

Phase 4 will be included in the story, but not as a playable character and she will die/change (not be a Kasumi clone). Lisa too will be there for the lore as an NPC. Gen Fu & Brad is shown together with Eliot, but will never partake in battle. Bayman will work the shadows and work as an info guide. Bass/Mila will have a very minor role. Leon, Ein, Momiji, Rachel and Alpha will not show up.

Truth be told, if you add Bayman you kinda have a complete game.

Kronin

I disagree here, I think Jann is the most popular male character out of those five. Definitely more popular than Bass, Zack, and Bayman.

I expressed myself bad, I meant the popularity reffered to the previous quote, so in regards of Team NINJA's consideration of them. Maybe I'm wrong but they seem to me have a particular appreciation for Eliot, Bass, Hayate and Rig (and I think that they like Zack, but only as a joke figure compared to his more serious role of the past, while strangely enough Ryu get a big focus only in the NG series).

I know anyway that for an old fan of the series characters as Jann Lee or Bayman should be easily some of the most popular character in the game, surely more than relatively new entries as Eliot and Rig.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

Kasumi, Busa, Ayane, Hayate, Helena, Rig, P4, Christie and Raidou are guaranteed to be in simply because they have main story advantage.

Hitomi, Leifang, Tina, Jann, Mila, Eliot and Kokoro will probably be the tournament goers with Honoka as joke contender or something.
MR, Bayman and Bass will probably be minor characters.

Although if they do the inevitable Hitomi vs Hayate thing id love hayate to fight her using the Ein moveset as an Easter egg

crapoZK

Standard Donor
I see the starting roster being like this if there was 20
:kasumi::ayane::christie::eliot::hayate:
:hitomi::honoka::phase4::marierose::mila:
:leifang::zack::hayabusa::cyborg::rig:
:jannlee::kokoro::tina::nyotengu::helena:
(:bayman::bass:+2 NEW Characters are only there for story sake)

I picked these characters because they all have a place in the story.
Ninjas :kasumi::ayane::hayate::hayabusa::
I don't need to explain this.
DLC Characters/LR Characters:marierose::nyotengu::honoka::cyborg::phase4::
I feel like every character that was added to DOA5U/LR was put in with the intention of being in DOA6's story. However, we do know that Nyotengu was included because of the demand for Tengu, or his moveset anyway.

DOA Originals (sans-Gen Fu and Bass) :tina::leifang::jannlee::zack::
These characters have a guaranteed spot in DOA6 because of there significance to the DOA series. They may not be important to the story, but they are important to the game.

Helena :helena::
She's the owner of DOATEC, and she knows what Donavan is up to. This makes her a important character.

Christie :christie::
By the events of DOA5's story mode, it appears that Christie only does her job to help M.I.S.T., but doesn't really like Donovan, so she MAY join Helena, Bayman and the Ninjas take MIST down from the inside. She needs to be in the game.

Mila :mila::
Her character needs development. She will be joining the crew soon of Tina and Bass soon.

Kokoro :kokoro::
Kokoro is looking for answers. She wants to know who her father is, and finding out that her dad was Fame Douglas aka Helena's father will probably make her want to help DOATEC.

Rig :rig::
Donovan's son. We need to find out more about this creature.

Hitomi :hitomi::
She's been a favorite since DOA3, so yeah.

Eliot :eliot::
My man is going to learn Xing Liuhe Quan, so he's going to get some Gen Fu moves, but I don't know which moves and how he's going to incorporate them into his already existing moveset.

DLC Characters at a later date (If Bass and Bayman aren't included):
:ein::leon::lisa::bradwong::genfu::bass::bayman:

Last edited:

Argentus

Id still like it if they had

:leon: and :mila: get story ties and a proper tag team, both because they share a couple moves and it would give an explanation for that, but also because it would give them both (the former more than the latter though) some much needed story relevance and development.

AsheMann21

:kasumi::ayane::hayabusa::hayate::helena::tina::bass::zack::jannlee::leifang::kokoro::eliot::christie::rig::hitomi::honoka::marierose::phase4::cyborg::bayman:

These are the 20 characters I think will make it in for release purely for story purposes and popularity.
Like some of you have mentioned, the DLC characters will probably have more of a chance than the Ultimate (Leon, Ein, Rachel) characters. The latter group could arrive later via DLC or expansion pack.

My roster for the game is how I want it.
Kasumi
Phase 4
Mila
Tina Armstrong
Christie
Lisa Hamilton
Hitomi
Helena Douglas
Kokoro
Ayane
Momiji
Rachel
Marie Rose
Nyo Tengu
Honoka
Lei Fang
Hayate
Ryu Hayabusa
Eliot
Brad Wong

KwonJigglypuff

If I were Team Ninja and if I were pushed by TK to release the game and stick to 20 original characters, these would be the default roster.

:kasumi::ayane::hayabusa::hayate: - The four main ninjas, both popular and relevant to the story
:bayman::helena::christie::rig: - Based on the uniqueness of their gameplay and their story relevance
:marierose::honoka::nyotengu::phase4:- The newcomers which need a story
:hitomi::jannlee::kokoro::eliot: :mila::bass:- Popular/Unique/Tag opportunities
:zack:- Joker
:cyborg:- The boss

Post Release DLCs (Yeah... I know... It's bad)
:tina::leifang: DLC Pack 1 : DOA1 Beauties
:momiji::rachel: DLC Pack 2 : Ninja Gaiden Babes
:La Mariposa::bradwong: DLC Pack 3 : Funky Meat
:leon::genfu: DLC Pack 4 : Legacy Veterans

DEAD
:ein::alpha152: - Ein is fused with Hayate (Ein-Hayate gimmick, costumes), Alpha's moves are given to Phase 4 (jelly skin as well)

Of course I don't necessarely want this to happen, we have an amazing roster and I like all the characters... loosing Brad and Lisa really does break my heart (Lisa is my sub-main), but objectively, I could not pick them... In theory I would stick with everyone! :)

And please give Phase 4 a makeover. Based on her original concept arts.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Wow 12 females and just 7 males would be ridiculous...but I can totally see this happening in future DOA. Or how about girls only DOA? XD

Id still like it if they had

:leon: and :mila: get story ties and a proper tag team, both because they share a couple moves and it would give an explanation for that, but also because it would give them both (the former more than the latter though) some much needed story relevance and development.

Not going to happen. XD Face it, Leon will be gone and Mila is with the Armstrongs.

Why are you guys all so sure Raidou will reappear for DOA6? Just because he's apparently Honoka's father? I doubt that branch of DOA's story will be very important for DOA6. It would set back the whole story that was finally taking up in pace. And even if, you could tell that story without Raidou and entirely focus on Honoka's and Ayane's relationship. You know, them meeting in the street and fighting over a melon or something like that. I think Raidou was just hastily implemented into LR so that the West wouldn't throw a hissy fit of there being only cute woman added that cater foremost to Japanese. He's old, ugly, male and basically dead, he won't be back in DOA6. They can add another woman instead of him, like Lisa with a cyborg arm too after her little accident. ;)

Chapstick

Wow 12 females and just 7 males would be ridiculous...but I can totally see this happening in future DOA. Or how about girls only DOA? XD

Not going to happen. XD Face it, Leon will be gone and Mila is with the Armstrongs.

Why are you guys all so sure Raidou will reappear for DOA6? Just because he's apparently Honoka's father? I doubt that branch of DOA's story will be very important for DOA6. It would set back the whole story that was finally taking up in pace. And even if, you could tell that story without Raidou and entirely focus on Honoka's and Ayane's relationship. You know, them meeting in the street and fighting over a melon or something like that. I think Raidou was just hastily implemented into LR so that the West wouldn't throw a hissy fit of there being only cute woman added that cater foremost to Japanese. He's old, ugly, male and basically dead, he won't be back in DOA6. They can add another woman instead of him, like Lisa with a cyborg arm too after her little accident. ;)
They didn't bring him back from the dead, redesign him, and make him relevant to the story for no reason. I'm not even taking Honoka into account, his story is MIST resurrected him to use him as a weapon. They wouldn't just drop that like it never happened when it can be filler for the story mode.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They didn't bring him back from the dead, redesign him, and make him relevant to the story for no reason. I'm not even taking Honoka into account, his story is MIST resurrected him to use him as a weapon. They wouldn't just drop that like it never happened when it can be filler for the story mode.

I completely forgot about that. o . O But that's also it! I forgot about it because it actually didn't even happen...because that story wasn't yet told in the actual game. Marie, Honoka, Nyotengu they all didn't have a part in the story yet. So, is LR or even Ultimate with Rachel and Momiji entering the fighting competition really canon at this point? Some of you (you for example) in here ruled Momiji and Rachel completely out of the picture. Why rule them out but not the LR characters? The only DLC character that really is absolutely sure to come to DOA6 and that had a legit part of the original DOA5's story, even if it just was in two short cutscenes, was Phase 4. The others could really just vanish into oblivion as temporary litte extras to sell DOA5's extensions. I doubt very much each of the later added TTT2/TR characters or of Mortal Kombat X are now canon and integral part of the stories just because they entered the game later as DLC. What about Naotora or Ayane in Senran Kagura? Does including them at some point make them legit and future parts of DOA's or SK's stories?

Isnt that already happening? Or are you being sarcastic?

The latter. ;)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD