Like DoA5 so far? Discuss.

CFW

I got this yesterday, it's pretty neat.

I got used to the movement and how some things work in a few hours where Tekken took me about a month to get used to.

Very accessible, the inputs aren't as confusing as I had originally thought. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite 3D fighters so far, next to Soulcalibur and Tekken.

It's a lil buggy, but that can be fixed~

A bunch of PSN friends (From Soul Calibur) asked me about it, when they saw that I was playing DoA.

Not as good as SCV, but much better than Tekken was my answer, along with details about the Holds having been nerfed.

DoA5 looks great. It has stylish moves, very dynamic stages, some new fluid-mechanic-technology-thing for the boobs and great dirt and sweat effects with see-though and tricklets that run between the breasts.

The gameplay is nice. The nerfing of the Holds and the focus on Critical Stun have made the launchers a little less ominous (I dislike juggles, visually). The more Critical Stuns you have, the fewer launchers, in a sense.

However, the game is too offensive. The strings are too many, too long and too powerful. The game is prettu much just about one character trying to perform the correct hold (mostly by guessing), as the other steamrolls him with Critical Stun combos. There is too much guessing. The lower risk and reward stuff of guarding and punishing is just extremely non-viable, because the strings are OP. It's really about making contact first or wait until you get a hold (or land a wake up kick), so it's your turn to mix him up.

With weaker Strings (ala Soul Calibur), the forms of defense would be more varied, viable and important. And the overall gameplay would be far more skillful.

Oh, and the online is sucking for me, so far. I got 4 matches, all laggy, one of them very laggy... whereas SCV online is the best.

DR2K

With weaker Strings (ala Soul Calibur), the forms of defense would be more varied, viable and important. And the overall gameplay would be far more skillful.

It takes more skill and knoweldge of strings to beat them. From frame data(safe, disadavntage, guard break) to string variety(strings have various enders) to side stepping delayed strings(such as knowing if it tracks or not and if your SS attack will beat it out).

The lower risk and reward stuff of guarding and punishing is just extremely non-viable, because the strings are OP.

Most strings are unsafe/disadvantage on block. They are not OP. Learn your characters best throw punisher. Guarding, spacing, and whiff punishment is a big part of DOA.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
In Soul Calibur if I tap someone with astaroth I'm getting 50-75% lifebar, and they have no way to get out of this. I'm not even going to start on what I can get with Viola.

In DOA, I'm getting somewhere between 10-60%, depending on environment, and if they guess correctly on defense.

I... find it hard to understand how DOA is more offensive than SCV. It seems to me like the exact opposite is true.

It takes more skill and knoweldge of strings to beat them. From frame data(safe, disadavntage, guard break) to string variety(strings have various enders) to side stepping delayed strings(such as knowing if it tracks or not and if your SS attack will beat it out).

Most strings are unsafe/disadvantage on block. They are not OP. Learn your characters best throw punisher. Guarding, spacing, and whiff punishment is a big part of DOA.
It's hard to talk about OPness without a standard, a reference. I'd say DOA's strings are far more powerful than SC. This means the string mix ups take a greater part of the gameplay, while stuff like spacing and poking takes relatively less. I see that most strings are unsafe, but many have powerful lows and mix-ups whithin them, so that I see more Holds than Guards.

Anyhow, I do grant that I'm a noob at DOA and I'm most likely underestimating its complexity, to a degree. So I request that you veterans show me some videos (might be from DoA4, too).

In Soul Calibur if I tap someone with astaroth I'm getting 50-75% lifebar, and they have no way to get out of this. I'm not even going to start on what I can get with Viola.

In DOA, I'm getting somewhere between 10-60%, depending on environment, and if they guess correctly on defense.

I... find it hard to understand how DOA is more offensive than SCV. It seems to me like the exact opposite is true.
By defensive I mean how long the characters are likely to go without damaging one another, how viable it is to use basic forms of defense and how much awareness you need in terms of attacking thiking about defending next (the variety of levels of safety, as well as zoning).

I didn't mean the damage. And yes, Asta is walking mix up; but even he pales in comparison to the mix up potential of DoA characters. You can face Asta without guessing so much.

DR2K

It's hard to talk about OPness without a standard, a reference. I'd say DOA's strings are far more powerful than SC. This means the string mix ups take a greater part of the gameplay, while stuff like spacing and poking takes relatively less. I see that most strings are unsafe, but many have powerful lows and mix-ups whithin them, so that I see more Holds than Guards.

They aren't OP because they almost always lose to solid defense. I mean if you play 2 drastically different games with the same logic I can see issues. You can block and low throw punish low string enders(most of them).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I didn't mean the damage. And yes, Asta is walking mix up; but even he pales in comparison to the mix up potential of DoA characters. You can face Asta without guessing so much.

I think if you spend about 30 minutes with me on SCV I can fix that outlook.

But I digress... It all depends how you play DOA 5. Online its difficult to space, so most people just opt to rush straight in and start playing string mixup... I imagine it can feel much more offensive. Offline its like a whole different ball game. There is tons of spacing going on.

SilverForte

Yeah astaroth is a beast. if he hits you with His B command throw near a wall say goodbye to almost all your health.

Sora

Ivy 3B alone makes SC5 offensive. That is spammable as all hell. And this is coming from an Ivy player. Ask any other Ivy player like Link or Ring, and you'll get the same answer.

For DOA5, it is... for the lack of a better term, a game that can absolutely mindfuck an opponent. In 90% of the situations you find yourself in, both the offense AND the defense have multiple options to either continue the offense or stop it. All these 'easy strings' are very punishable if used incorrectly, which advanced players bait out. Even more advanced players start to do incomplete strings and start stun loops, which the defensive players find the appropriate holds for. Then they go into unholdable stuns, which can then be stagger-escaped out of to block the next attack in time. THEN, they bait out the stagger escape and go into a first frame throw, which the defense will then use to mash out a jab, leading to a high counter scenario and finally switching the offense and defense.

Long story short, this game is the definition of 'mindgame' at its finest, perhaps to an even unhealthy extreme. No 'one' option is godlike, and nearly everything has a counter against it. Yes, the inputs are not hard at all, but I see that as a good thing when combined to the oft underestimated complexity of this game. It's cliche, but it truly is easy to play, hard to master.

They aren't OP because they almost always lose to solid defense. I mean if you play 2 drastically different games with the same logic I can see issues. You can block and low throw punish low string enders(most of them).
I'm aware that they can be punished. I just think they are too hard to guard, because many have mix ups. Obviously I might be wrong and there might be some great players who react to the strings with an ease that would suprise me. I'd love to see videos.

I think if you spend about 30 minutes with me on SCV I can fix that outlook.
Are you on PS3? I guess I'd need a few hours against the AI to return my brain to SC mode, but after that I think I could entertain ya. I'm currently using Ezio.

Ivy 3B alone makes SC5 offensive. That is spammable as all hell. And this is coming from an Ivy player. Ask any other Ivy player like Link or Ring, and you'll get the same answer.
Oh, I know. I have a few Ivy mainers as friends. Though I gotta say I've had enough of vengeance from my time using Hilde. Such delightful CAs.

Long story short, this game is the definition of 'mindgame' at its finest, perhaps to an even unhealthy extreme.
That's what I mean.

Brute

Standard Donor
Aside from the cheap AI, bad netcode, ridiculous unlock requirements and the VF characters (yeah, I said it. Brace for flaming now) I love it to death.

akhi216

Standard Donor
Solid_Altair said:
A bunch of PSN friends (From Soul Calibur) asked me about it, when they saw that I was playing DoA.

Not as good as SCV, but much better than Tekken was my answer, along with details about the Holds having been nerfed.

DoA5 looks great. It has stylish moves, very dynamic stages, some new fluid-mechanic-technology-thing for the boobs and great dirt and sweat effects with see-though and tricklets that run between the breasts.

The gameplay is nice. The nerfing of the Holds and the focus on Critical Stun have made the launchers a little less ominous (I dislike juggles, visually). The more Critical Stuns you have, the fewer launchers, in a sense.

However, the game is too offensive. The strings are too many, too long and too powerful. The game is prettu much just about one character trying to perform the correct hold (mostly by guessing), as the other steamrolls him with Critical Stun combos. There is too much guessing. The lower risk and reward stuff of guarding and punishing is just extremely non-viable, because the strings are OP. It's really about making contact first or wait until you get a hold (or land a wake up kick), so it's your turn to mix him up.

Oh, and the online is sucking for me, so far. I got 4 matches, all laggy, one of them very laggy... whereas SCV online is the best.

Isn't it a good thing that the game is pro offensive? It's better and easier on the blood pressure than an all out turtle fest don't you think?

Isn't it a good thing that the game is pro offensive? It's better and easier on the blood pressure than an all out turtle fest don't you think?
Nope. I think SC 4 hit the spot and SC 5 kept around the same level of 'defensiveness'. And I don't think one would actually find SC to be 'turtlish'.

I think a higher 'defensiveness' would give a franchise like DoA more variety in terms of exploring different aspects of the game in greater magnitude. With weaker strings, there would be a greater emphasis on spacing and punishing and less emphasis on mind games in general, especially on Hold mind games (which seem excessive to me).

akhi216

Standard Donor
Solid_Altair said:
Nope. I think SC 4 hit the spot and SC 5 kept around the same level of 'defensiveness'. And I don't think one would actually find SC to be 'turtlish'.

I think a higher 'defensiveness' would give a franchise like DoA more variety in terms of exploring different aspects of the game in greater magnitude. With weaker strings, there would be a greater emphasis on spacing and punishing and less emphasis on mind games in general, mostly on Hold mind games.

Am I missing something? How do you give SC4/5 props for defensiveness when it doesn't have holds and say that DOA5 is too offensive when it has holds?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
It's a good package overall, but I just hate how the game forces you in the RPS game way more than other games.

AI is pretty much the same as it was in DOA2A and online is the weakest aspect of this game.

Snipeclips

DOA5 is becoming one of my favourite game ever. Just great gameplay, less to mash, and Bass. Online imo is better than most fighters hands down, but rarely it'll get a bit choppy or slow, which you can expect right before the match starts with the animations. I got raped by Lisa and Gen Fu online, it really is just as advanced and will surprise many who think otherwise.

I honestly don't like the FGC in their aspect of how they view games, especially with DOA which they have YEARS to talk shit about, but then when it's released next to a game like TTT2, all their focuses and hate goes to this, and display their hate by its cover. I've been told that someone hates this because it shames their gf with her attitude towards herself. It seemed like a weak excuse mainly cause she degrades her self-esteem and never truly loves herself or how she appears. I could be dead wrong and hear the opposite, but it'll be odd to know.

Anywho, yeah my two cents.

RoboJoe

Liking the game so far, my three main complaints are missing moves from the command list, the dreadful amount of unlocking to be done and weak netcode.

d3v

I honestly don't like the FGC in their aspect of how they view games, especially with DOA which they have YEARS to talk shit about, but then when it's released next to a game like TTT2, all their focuses and hate goes to this, and display their hate by its cover. I've been told that someone hates this because it shames their gf with her attitude towards herself. It seemed like a weak excuse mainly cause she degrades her self-esteem and never truly loves herself or how she appears. I could be dead wrong and hear the opposite, but it'll be odd to know.
Stream monsters will hate on anything that isn't the flavor of the month. The real beef with DOA though comes from 4 and how it basically rewarded you for getting hit. That, and all the drama thanks to Tom Brady's video.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD