Lisa Matchups thread

ailingeternity

Hey guys, lets talk about matchups vs the new cast. I haven't had experience with all of them yet, but i'll give my personal opinion atm.

Ein seems fairly even, maybe 5.5 for Lisa. He is just as good at controlling space as you, but he has a really limited arsenal and as far as i know, no real fast attacks to beat any shenanigans consistently. Fighting Ein is weird; you're both keeping a huge amount of space between the two of you waiting for someone to make a move lol.

Rachel seems 6-4 Lisa, but i don't know how she is now with the recent nerfs. I know there was a lot of buzz surrounding her, but she can't do shit to get close to you and she's slower too. Her FT shenanigans are gone now, which is the only thing that really made her threatening, but as a grappler you can punish and 1P shuts down that little twirl stance thing she does.

Momiji--i have no idea how to fight her lol. It seems disadvantaged for Lisa, but again new nerfs may change. I swear to god she has some fast ass midpunch that seem to just beat anything i throw at her. Are her jump attacks sidesteppable? I can't check because i only got Core Fighters lol.

Would love to hear any other Lisa players input.
:ein: - I agree on 5-5. He plays a similar way to Lisa, he has great spacing tools to initiate the stun game then will capitalize on using mixup and hold baiting. Ein's movepool is limited but he has more speed and better mixup potential. Lisa can throw punish almost all of of his string enders and all his lows apart from :2::P: and BT :2::P:. Ein still has an offensive hold which he can use to his advantage but it's damage output is quite weak. I would say it's all a matter of controlling space as much as you can and forcing mistakes to make your move. Ein is still quite a powerful character but punish his unsafety and it's smooth sailing.

:rachel: - 6-4 to Lisa. Rachel is faster up close and safer, has spacing moves that can be used as great keepaway tools to prevent Lisa's passive-aggressive style and can throw punish her mistakes. Lisa on the other hand can infinitely harass with :7::K: as Rachel cannot punish it, shenanigans will also allow fantastic pressure in the stun game as Rachel's crushes are slow so she has no easy escape tactics other than to hold or slow escape which puts her at a big disadvantage. Lisa's :1::P: regains it's ability to be a great CH hunter and step killer from mid range as Rachel cannot reach that range without the risk of being interrupted.

:momiji: - Easily 5-5 potentially 6-4 to Lisa. Momiji thrives on stun>launch setups so she needs constant aggression to keep momentum, her spacing tools are generally safe (apart from :6::6::K:) and hit mid so she can poke when needed, this can be an issue for Lisa if she wants to harass. Momiji's follow-ups from tenku can be avoided entirely on block, by pressing :3::2::2: or :3::8::8: you effectively crush all her follow-ups by crouching (avoiding her throw) and side step at the same time (avoiding her tenku :P: :K: and :P::+::K:). She lacks crushes, those which she has are particularly slow so most of her pressure will come from tenku setups and using mid/throw strategy against turtles, which :4::F::+::K: answers to. If Lisa plays defensively, this matchup is definitely in her favor.

Last edited:

Batcommander

wow, so good. needed to learn that info about momiji, i only have core fighters atm and can't go to training mode myself for her. ty! I have a hard time reading momiji, and it seems like anytime i try to throw a move out she just flat out beats it, dunno if its the speed, hitbox, or what.

Played more rachels today . . . its definitely in Lisa's favor, might be even 7-3 because Rachel really is helpless outside of mid range.

Leon seems disadvantaged to Lisa too, but i haven't fought enough to get a real opinion yet. You can easily zone him, that's all i can say for certain.

ailingeternity

:leon:- The Leon matchup in theory should entirely be in his favor, I haven't had enough experience playing against him but he smashes turtlers due to being able to net high advantaged guard breaks (:236::[[P]]:, :4::4::[[K]]: :2::K::[[K]]:, :2::[[h+k]]:) he has an unblockable (:6::6::[[p+k]]:) which still gives +3 on block even when it's not charged, :4::6::P: is a good mid ranged tool that closes distance, is +2 on block and has a large hitbox so it's likely to win many ranged trades with Lisa, his throw damage is higher than Lisa's and has standing and crouching offensive holds to interchange after gaining said advantage and is a heavyweight which prevents Lisa from using CB for high reward damage. It's extremely important with this match-up to pay close attention to his charge moves, most of them are highly unsafe if they aren't charged, allowing big punishment. If you see the unblockable coming, crush immediately, you're pretty much guaranteed a counter hit. If you eat his guard breaks you are put into a massive disadvantage which resets Leon's pressure game so it's testing your defensive capabilities to their highest pinnacle. On the upside, Lisa has keepout moves that Leon cannot catch up to :7::K: is good to harass with, :1::P: will still have it's uses from mid range, and she has her OH's that she can implement into the match, he can punish :4::h::+::K: so be mindful about using it.

Last edited:

AkaShocka

Hm. What's Lisa's and Christies matchup? I'm pretty sure it's in Christies favor but can Lisa do anything to save her self from Christie? I'm sure punishing is one thing but can she do anything else?

Last edited:

ailingeternity

:christie:- Christie has a lot of mixup to play around with, but she's surprisingly unsafe. Her Jakeiho transitions on block put herself into disadvantage and Lisa can throw punish if Christie decides to use almost any string enders, :1::P: intercepts anything Christie can do after Jakeiho transitions because it tracks even on NH she can always net a CH or if she decides to use a maneuver a HCH. At range, all Lisa has to do is play defensive and wait for Christie to make her move, her ranged attacks (:6::6::K:, :4::6::P:, :4::h::+::K:) are unsafe too allowing easy throw punishment. As a general rule with fast and aggressive characters, don't be afraid to initiate with them at the start of a match, Lisa can crush jab strings with :1::P: and will trade with 11i mids if she uses her jab. What Christie has an amazing talent for however is delaying her strings, this can be particularly frustrating if Lisa attempts to throw punish her mid string, general rule is don't even if you know her mid string attacks are unsafe. Christie also has her :2::h::+::K: setups that can be performed in her jab string too, she has good mixup potential to use to her advantage but unless she initiates the stun game there isn't anything too scary here. Keeping distance is a great way to counter her but if she gets in close and manages to initiate pressure, stay defensive and wait for the moment to throw punish her.

Last edited:

Tones

Premium Donor
Lisa's strength is where it is always is. Throws, her mid distance game, Carrera tellifarting. You can either spam low OH or pkk/3k if know they are going to use her stance or low attacks.

Christie's strength is her close range and interrupting (she has very good 50/50 options) game.

ToiletMangoes

Him. What's Lisa's and Christies matchup? I'm pretty sure it's in Christies favor but can Lisa do anything to save her self from Christie? I'm sure punishing is one thing but can she do anything else?
What have you found to be the best for punishing christie? I agree it is best since she seems to be faster than Lisa on start ups(online at least). I mostly get caught up in her jab mix ups.

ToiletMangoes

Lisa's strength is where it is always is. Throws, her mid distance game, Carrera tellifarting. You can either spam low OH or pkk/3k if know they are going to use her stance or low attacks.

Christie's strength is her close range and interrupting (she has very good 50/50 options) game.
Carrera tellifarting, wtf is that?

Batcommander

Carrera tellifarting, wtf is that?
pretty sure Tones was just referring Lisa's ability to stop Carrera--this is very good for baiting the opponent and punishing them accordingly.

As far as Christie goes, if you predict she's going to use jab strings, use :1::P: to crush them. Ailing provided some good info earlier about how to deal with the matchup, remember to throw her after blocking her strings! ;)

ToiletMangoes

Is Alpha giving anyone any trouble I have no trouble with low level players but at higher level play it kind of throws me off a bit. Do people find it better to rush her down or be patient and bait her into something?

ToiletMangoes

pretty sure Tones was just referring Lisa's ability to stop Carrera--this is very good for baiting the opponent and punishing them accordingly.

As far as Christie goes, if you predict she's going to use jab strings, use :1::P: to crush them. Ailing provided some good info earlier about how to deal with the matchup, remember to throw her after blocking her strings! ;)
It is a good method of baiting. I should use it more often. Thanks for the advice on Christie match ups, much appreciated.

Batcommander

Is Alpha giving anyone any trouble I have no trouble with low level players but at higher level play it kind of throws me off a bit. Do people find it better to rush her down or be patient and bait her into something?
i really can't speak about alphas because i barely play them. I also mostly win the alphas i do play, but i know an alpha that knows what she is doing can be real trouble.

If you ever manage to knock her down, remember she has no wakeup kick, so you can catch her with :8::F+P: if you time it correctly to reset the situation. If the alpha is smart and starts ducking, switch up and use either :9::K: or even :P+K:/:6::F+K:.

ailingeternity

:9::K: is your best friend against Alpha, her oki game sucks. She's also pretty linear and lacks decent step killers so using SS will help. Just be careful of her mixup, it's pretty deceptive as she can transition into her float stance a lot and it's moves will often interrupt you if you aren't careful. She can also close distance extremely well if she's floating so try not to outspace her, wait for her to make her move first and punish accordingly.

ToiletMangoes

That is what could be trippin' me up. I try to space her out not realizing her float stance allows her to move in more quickly.

ailingeternity

I think it's just me but OMFG Brad seems like one of the most frustrating matchups for Lisa right now, I just can't get one up on him, I definitely need to investigate what options she has, too much mixup for my brain to process :(

Batcommander

I think it's just me but OMFG Brad seems like one of the most frustrating matchups for Lisa right now, I just can't get one up on him, I definitely need to investigate what options she has, too much mixup for my brain to process :(
wish i could help you there but i hardly fight any brads. Although i will say that the brads i have come across in ultimate almost wrecked my shit, whereas i never really considered him a threat in vanilla.

ToiletMangoes

Brad is quite the challenge for me as well. What is it that gives you the most trouble? I have a hard time when he does the handstand stance.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD