Looking for copies of DOA3.1?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I can mod it with no additional parts from you. You would just have to bring it to my place. It'd be a soft mod so it would be software based instead of hardware mod-chip. Since Xbox Original LIVE is gone you won't have to worry about uninstalling the soft mod.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
What games do you have for softmod?
None. Back in the day when I softmodded my console, I used the fairly risky PC-Xbox HDD hotswap with XBOXHDM (I think) to install a soft mod of some sort.

When I modded my latest Xbox at the start of the year, I opted for a hard mod since I wouldn't have to risk losing the system should the HDD fail like on my old system and also because I don't have any computers with IDE slots for such an old HDD to even attempt a hot swap again.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If you want links to modding, check out http://www.xbox-scene.com. Those guys will help you. I can't publicly talk about how to modify an Xbox on this forum besides mentioning what you need (one of three games, and a hacked gamesave to load on the xbox).

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
hacked/NTSC-J 360.

Curious though, would you be able to send me over the European DOA3.2 strategy guide by Futurepress? I hear it was actually very good and many of its writers went on to Capcom.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
hacked/NTSC-J 360.

Curious though, would you be able to send me over the European DOA3.2 strategy guide by Futurepress? I hear it was actually very good and many of its writers went on to Capcom.

Sure. I might as well grab an extra copy for myself.

Right now, I'm content with 3.2. I'm just glad I didn't lose anything the last time I tried to tamper with it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
3.2 is playable. I mean the only thing you have to really have to deal with is the added tracking of attacks. There are possibly some frame data changes however because from my looks at the code, some characters had data changes. I never was able to get an accurate list on which moves if any were changed.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
From what I've played of Bass, Leon and Lei Fang, they seem pretty much the same as their 3.1 counterparts. Properties on the moves seem pretty much the same. If you need me to check something, let me know.

Regarding tracking, SS still works alright, even if it's not as crazy as 3.1 SS. I had most of my linear moves SSed on a few occasions.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The only ones that had changes were Ayane, Kasumi, Hayate, Hayabusa, and Ein.

Since we didn't have enough people working on the mod work, we would only be able to say which moves on some of these characters had damage, hit disadvantage, or guard disadvantage changes. Any other changes of move properties we would not be able to tell besides possibly frame data but we wouldn't know for sure which move's frame data was changed.

We were hoping to get the mod finished so we could actually post the 3.2 and 3.0 frame data in the wiki :(.

TRI Mike

I have a couple old Original Xbox consoles. I already asked one of my buddies to softmod it and get a 3.1 pirated copy. I'll be playing this perfect game you guys speak of very soon.

NikkySan

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I found a copy of 3.1 on eBay for a rather reasonable price. The thing is, I don't a Japanese or modded Xbox to play it. Only a PAL Xbox and a PAL 360. Is it still worth getting? I have 3.2 and I'm happy enough with it, but I really want to see what all the fuss is about with this version.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
There were some minor differences between 3.1 and 3.2. Besides what I think is a much better boxart, if you don't want to mod your xbox, then stick with 3.2. If you want it to sit on your shelf and get a good conditioned copy, it's great to have on the shelf.

quash

I bought 3.1 the other day at a local Book Off for 108 yen (less than $1 at current exchange rate). On my JP 360 it exhibits slight slowdown on some stages, but runs fine overall.

It even detects my RAP EX as an Xbox Hori Fighting Stick, which is neat, but also inconvenient because it doesn't let you map triggers as anything but macros. This means you can't use the typical VF/DOA layout of the three innermost buttons with the RAP EX, though using the three buttons next to them works well enough.

It seems to me like DOA5 took a lot from this game in terms of movement and particularly in the consistency of how moves track. Obviously 5 is slower and sidestep inputs are read differently, but I see the same ideas in place, though the execution differs. I wish there was an arcade version so I could go track down some players and see for myself how this game works in practice.

Last edited:

gamemaster14

As far as doa3 goes I still like the doa 3.1 cover art the best. It would have been cool if all 3 regions had different art, like doa2 did.

As far as doa3 on 360 goes, emulation is pretty close but sadly slowdowns (especially during explosions) happen every once in a while.

Modding an original xbox is pretty easy to play the improved versions of doa3 as all you need is certain games and a save, no opening required.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD