Main Character setting reset.

TRI Mike

We should open a thread to discuss this. Matt already stated this is not the place for it and he's right. I have a few things to say regarding the matter.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Of all the things the game will have less credibility for, paid dlc chars is not one of them, considering capcom does it as well.
Capcom is not DOA close competition, it is Namco.

I understood, by the way you said that TTT2 was the example to follow when actually NAMCO didn't make anything really different.

Namco keept their word. They said: "I see the characters and their move sets as chess pieces - they are essential items necessary in the game and we would never sell any of those individually."

(Source: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...ers-tekken-paid-dlc-vanity-items-possibility/)

TN didn't, they said: "We don't feel that it's right for fighting games. We feel like this is a kind of sport, and you don't change the rules for sports. Everybody plays by the same rules. You don't have a 14-player soccer game versus an 11-player soccer game. That's just not fair."

(Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/20/dead-or-alive-5-wont-feature-unfair-dlc-fighters)

Tulkas

Premium Donor
We should open a thread to discuss this. Matt already stated this is not the place for it and he's right. I have a few things to say regarding the matter.

I'm showing my disappoint to @Mr. Wah for its arbitrary, early and accommodating decision.

TRI Mike

Calm down Sergio. You're more pissed than me and I'm the one planning on using M.Rose. This thread was created to make an announcement regarding a feature in the forums. I'm sure Matt will let us talk about the M.Rose thing in a thread if we make one (I asked you to do it).

Matt, feel free to delete any posts here.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Anyone can have a main character, and there are options to choose characters that aren't even in DOA5, and options to include the alt-personalities of the character (Bass/Mr.Strong, Lisa/La Mariposa).

Either way, any player can have a "main" character whether the character is banned or not. It's letting the community know who you feel is your best character, whether you paid for that character or not.

Banning a character is a different topic altogether, and in my opinion a ban should only happen if a character literally breaks the system and makes it non-competitive.

A DLC character, in my opinion, does not qualify for a ban as long as any player can get access to the character. So "Download Exclusives" like Don Pierre in SC5 deserved an initial ban because only a limited number of players could obtain the character. However, once he was allowed to be purchased by the masses, he was no longer banned for being a DLC.

There's also the example of SFxT where the characters were on the disc, but you had to pay to unlock them. They were also not banned.

DOA5U will be having an update that will put Marie Rose on your systems harddrive so that you can play against other people who have the character, obtain match-up experience from her as much as you wish, and be given the option to purchase the ability to play as her. Just like the rest of the cast with the Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters, a title that I believe has more downloads than DOA5U retail has purchases.

So, even though, again, this discussion doesn't have any relation to the original topic, I do not feel that DLC characters should be banned for the sole fact that they are DLC.

Stradivariuz

It's not a big deal or a huge inconvenience to the users, but couldn't you just take the data from the most recent database backup (and transform as necessary, for example keys have changed) and load it? Just a thought.

Last edited:

whamwham

Seriously, discuss the DLC practice bullshit elsewhere. I'm not happy about it either, but this is not the right place to bitch about it.

Otherwise, thank Mr. Wah for updating the main character list. Sheesh...

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Anyone can have a main character, and there are options to choose characters that aren't even in DOA5, and options to include the alt-personalities of the character (Bass/Mr.Strong, Lisa/La Mariposa).

Either way, any player can have a "main" character whether the character is banned or not. It's letting the community know who you feel is your best character, whether you paid for that character or not.

Banning a character is a different topic altogether, and in my opinion a ban should only happen if a character literally breaks the system and makes it non-competitive.

A DLC character, in my opinion, does not qualify for a ban as long as any player can get access to the character. So "Download Exclusives" like Don Pierre in SC5 deserved an initial ban because only a limited number of players could obtain the character. However, once he was allowed to be purchased by the masses, he was no longer banned for being a DLC.

There's also the example of SFxT where the characters were on the disc, but you had to pay to unlock them. They were also not banned.

DOA5U will be having an update that will put Marie Rose on your systems harddrive so that you can play against other people who have the character, obtain match-up experience from her as much as you wish, and be given the option to purchase the ability to play as her. Just like the rest of the cast with the Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters, a title that I believe has more downloads than DOA5U retail has purchases.

So, even though, again, this discussion doesn't have any relation to the original topic, I do not feel that DLC characters should be banned for the sole fact that they are DLC.

Well Wah, you just evaded my point.

My complaint is you early added Marie and P-4 to the list, and it means FSD acepted (without showing any complain) TN decision of selling this despited they said the oppsite in the past. Such actions of TN potentially and negatively affect TN's word reputation and thus DOA's one, which also affects competitive community. Why FSD should accept it so early and easily?

Moreover, FSD is one of the more important voices (if not the most) of the competity community. So, despite you are the owner of FSD, everything which FSD manifest is easily taken as the community voice. So your decision was arbitrary.

@Mr. Wah, you are some kind of leader for this community, and as such, every action you make could be really meaningful. This one was. Sometimes like this it would be very proper to ask community first. Just waiting a few, until TN give an answer to competitive community had been enough for the community, instead of being so accomodating.

We cannot command TN how to manage it bussines, but sometimes -like this- is very healthy for community that TN speak to us about reasons for actions of their that could make members dissapointed and worse: ignored. As far I as know TN has not yet explained that action, and it is the minimun thing I would expect from TN. To be closer to us, show us some care.

FatalxInnocence

My complaint is you early added Marie and P-4 to the list, and it means FSD acepted (without showing any complain) TN decision of selling this despited they said the oppsite in the past. Such actions of TN potentially and negatively affect TN's word reputation and thus DOA's one, which also affects competitive community. Why FSD should accept it so early and easily?

Moreover, FSD is one of the more important voices (if not the most) of the competity community. So, despite you are the owner of FSD, everything which FSD manifest is easily taken as the community voice. So your decision was arbitrary.

@Mr. Wah, you are some kind of leader for this community, and as such, every action you make could be really meaningful. This one was. Sometimes like this it would be very proper to ask community first. Just waiting a few, until TN give an answer to competitive community had been enough for the community, instead of being so accomodating.

We cannot command TN how to manage it bussines, but sometimes -like this- is very healthy for community that TN speak to us about reasons for actions of their that could make members dissapointed and worse: ignored. As far I as know TN has not yet explained that action, and it is the minimun thing I would expect from TN. To be closer to us, show us some care.

I'm a little confused as to why her being added as a main character setting is such a negative thing? I mean, online you see people's main character setting and online means squat to the competitive community. Would you suggest banning her as a console main character as well? =\

By that I mean, you know how you encounter people online and it shows a picture of their main character? would you not allow that either solely because you have to pay for her? so other people should be punished because you're not willing to purchase her? Or are angry about the fact you have to purchase her? Either way, I don't think it's fair to people like me who actually plan on purchasing her, and maining her.

I can understand not allowing her in offline tournaments, but a mere character setting on a website? I don't see how it's such a big deal. It's about as meaningful as me running around claiming that I'm going to main her. It means literally nothing. Or at least it shouldn't.

Mr. Wah is merely accommodating for those ( Like myself. ) who actually plan to main her. Which I'm thankful for! =D Thank you Mr. Wah!

hollow

you need to relax... like it's just not that serious, Mr. Wah obviously knows that people are excited about these two characters so whats wrong with adding to a website that we talk about the game on? SOME people plan on maining at least 1 of these characters and would just like their "profile" to look like that and I'm sure thats all. All that talk about to effecting competitive play and blah blah no has no relevance in my opinion, its like a title on DOA you put it up to show people or just to be a cute word play, that's all this is too.

Kronin

Actually I'm not sure if also TN is in charge to manage this business: IMO such decisions are responsabilites of the producers and not of the team of development.

Kuga

Umm it seems nobody understood what Tulkas meant. Too bad because hes quite right there.

Brute

Standard Donor
Umm it seems nobody understood what Tulkas meant. Too bad because hes quite right there.
Even if he was we are not starting this over again. Everyone has said their piece on it 50 times over. The arguments have been made, and that's the end of it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD