Community Matt Ponton Explores Japan

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Matt Ponton, known as Sorwah (or Mr. Wah) within the community, and owner of Free Step Dodge, recently took a trip to Japan. He competed in the official tournament headed by Team NINJA, met up with some of the faces from Team NINJA, made friends with Japanese players, met up with European player; Emperor Cow for the first time, and played the new arcade version of the game.

DOAN: How was the time in Japan?

Matt Ponton: I've spent most of my time in Tokyo, and had a great time playing the Japanese players who offer a different style than that of the Americans.

DOAN: I love sushi, did you have any on your trip?

MP: No, I'm allergic to fish. Except shrimp and lobster. The sushi I did have was delicious though, so I can only imagine the fish would have been just as delicious. I missed my chance to have some Kobe Beef but there's always next time.

DOAN: That's unfortunate... did you throw out any recommendations for Bass?

MP: I have been asked by lots of players and staff over there for a lot of suggestions for Bass. In the past, some of the requests I made didn't show up until two or three patches later. Not everything I suggest makes it in, but the team does take in all suggestions from all players who reach out to them. Things have changed a lot for the community and it's important to be persistent with your requests on Facebook and Twitter.

Everything for this patch has been decided, but I did have a couple requests: One suggestion I made was sort of a joke but I would just find it hilarious if it were in: 4P+K should be a critical burst. It's the muscle man where he pumps his elbow and hits twice. Just the thought of hitting someone with this move and them being forced to be hit by the taunt is hilarious to me. The second semi-serious suggestion I made was Bass' most damaging throw (T.F.B.B.) should do 149 on Hi-Counter, Team Ninja said that they would have to slow it down if that were to occur to compensate for the damage boost. Also, some of the Japanese players were so happy to see my Bass play they were asking me about suggests to buff him as well. But I don't want to say all the things I suggested because frankly, I don't know what will or won't be added (or altered).

It goes to show how far along we've come as a community. People care more about the competitive scene now, and social networking has changed everything for DOA.

2937218542_cec2327a1b.jpg

DOAN: Those are some great points. So I heard you got a 16 win streak in arcade? And how was Marie Rose by the way?

MP: One night it was a 24 game streak, and the following Saturday at a six-hour free play session in the Shinjuku Club Sega I was on a 16 game streak. I honestly don't remember the exact number but it felt like 16 or 18. I think most likely it was around 8, but I had so much fun there. It's great to see DOA back in the arcades. I've seen the community fall, and grow right back up. Team Ninja has put so much life into their work. And yeah, Marie Rose can definitely hold her own.

DOAN: I hear she is comparable to Lily from Tekken.

MP: I would say she is more comparable to Leifang due to all of her advance holds and evasion.

DOAN: Did you test out her moves?

MP: She's a highly evasive character with lots of rolls, and side steps.

DOAN: Does she have a jumping OH? It looked like she could have from the reveal trailer.

MP: Yes, it's a jumping OH. She has a rolling stance that has lots of mix-up potential with evasion. Her PK is a high-mid string that looks like it tracks, and her KK is a sit-down stun on any hit type. She's her own character, and more characters in DOA is always a welcomed option.

1384496578-6.jpg

DOAN: During your adventure in Japan, you met Emperor Cow for the first time? How was it?

MP: We've talked a lot online, but this was the first time we fought in person. His Japanese is really good, far better than mine. I mean, how is your Japanese so good when you don't live in Japan!? He understands the Japanese community better than I can, and was able to get more games in and discuss strategy more than I could. At one time he was upset about (getting sick of) translating my answers about Bass to the Japanese players' questions.

DOAN: So how was it, playing with Japanese players? I have heard that Japanese players have been considered to be slightly weaker than American and European players.

MP: Much like PS3 players, don't shut the door on someone just because of the console they are on or where they live. I don't think Americans have really adapted at all to the Japanese style of play.

I would say that American players were better ten years ago, but Japanese players are much closer to us than before. Japanese players just purchase the game, play it, and don't whine about changes. We have a lot more hype and exposure in our events though.

DOAN: What's their playstyle like?

MP: Defensive. They also like to play as the faster characters. After facing me they started taking a lot of interest in the slower characters, and didn't know they could get that kind of damage with them.

DOAN: You competed in the official tournament, how big was the prize pot?

MP: There was no prize pot. The most you can get is typically around 5000 USD due to their gambling laws. I can't really remember the exact amount.

DOAN: Did you meet any new faces from Team NINJA that you haven't met before?

MP: I got to meet Yuta who does all the CG and trailers of the game. I'm not sure but I think he's the art guy who was said to like Christie in a past interview. I also got to meet Tani who works in the marketing department and is probably closest to being a Community Manager. Very nice, very respectful team who believe in the game and believe in the community and loves watching them play, after spending four to five years of developing DOA5, and to finally see people enjoy their hard work was very rewarding. The players showed Team NINJA how fun everything can be.

For me this tournament was mainly about the Japanese aspect, and we turned into a family.

DOAN: What does the community need to focus on now?

MP: I want to see more International play in tournaments. We should not be shutting players out because of where they live or what console they play on, and we need to step it up. To get Japanese players at our tournaments, we need bigger turn-outs and we need to focus on more than two big events a year.

People see bickering, but those people don't realize how far the community has grown since DOA4. To get international players in America, we need to work a big event. Something like The Fall Classic 2 on October 10-12 in Raleigh, North Carolina.

DOAN: When is your next tournament?

MP: I want to sit back and see what other players can do. So as of now I really don't know when the next tournament is, it could be TFC, but I am overloaded with everything that I am doing now so I'm taking a break for the year.

DOAN: Thank you for your time, Matt. You're a great character loyalist, and you're imperative to this community.

1505332_786047597826_1794022878_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Crext

Standard Donor
Cool and well spoken Mr. Wah. Also, creds to you Doan for sticking up for us social trolls! :)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Great interview DOAN, very insightful. I envy Sorwah for being able to play the Japanese players. After watching the tourney, you get a much better feel of just how technical DOA really is at a higher level. It would be great to play Japanese players offline, because fighting them in 1-bars online doesn't quite cut it.

Red Reaper

@iHajinShinobi Didn't know that the DOA kommunity hated on players because of the konsole they played on.. lol. That is random as hell.

PS: I hate the Xbox D-Pad a lot but that has nothing to do with the players so I don't understand that mentality.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
@iHajinShinobi Didn't know that the DOA kommunity hated on players because of the konsole they played on.. lol. That is random as hell.

PS: I hate the Xbox D-Pad a lot but that has nothing to do with the players so I don't understand that mentality.
The entire community doesn't, but there are a select few people who do that shouldn't, and it is in danger of poisoning the community.

Kronin

Great interview, good job @deathofaninja and @Mr. Wah ;) (and the photo in the end with Shimbori and Hayashi is absolutely awesome XD)

It's pretty interesting to see the exchange from American and Japanese players with a common acknowledgement of new ways for exploring the potential of the game, just like the news that DoA5 was under work for 4-5 years (so just from the early phases of the 7 years gap from DoA4) =)

d3v

DOAN: You competed in the official tournament, how big was the prize pot?

MP: There was no prize pot. The most you can get is typically around 5000 USD due to their gambling laws. I can't really remember the exact amount.
Yep. We've known about this for some time now. The only Japanese players that make money are those who are able to travel abroad to compete. Yet at the same time, a lot of other players are still able to go toe-to-toe with these guys in tournaments.

Red Reaper

Wait what? When did I ever say that?

I didn't say that you said it. Mr. Wah said it in the article... I just tagged you because I thought it was weird and I wanted to know your experience on it.

DOAN: So how was it, playing with Japanese players? I have heard that Japanese players have been considered to be slightly weaker than American and European players.

MP: Much like PS3 players, don't shut the door on someone just because of the console they are on or where they live. I don't think Americans have really adapted at all to the Japanese style of play.

DOAN: What does the community need to focus on now?

MP: I want to see more International play in tournaments. We should not be shutting players out because of where they live or what console they play on, and we need to step it up. To get Japanese players at our tournaments, we need bigger turn-outs and we need to focus on more than two big events a year.

People see bickering, but those people don't realize how far the community has grown since DOA4. To get international players in America, we need to work a big event. Something like The Fall Classic 2 on October 10-12 in Raleigh, North Carolina.
1505332_786047597826_1794022878_n.jpg

PS: Does the spoiler tag not work?

Hoya Destroyer

Interesting read. It must be pretty exciting to speak to the guys who actually made the game. I'd have many questions for them.
I was lucky enough to catch the final matches of that TN tournament, where the Rachel player beat the Leon one. I dont play competitively (there is no comp where I live), but I was pleasantly suprized to see Rachel win, as I heard she wasnt amongst the best characters.
I

FatalxInnocence

Definitely... we've actually revamped some info in the Aussies thread:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/aussie-players-report-in.1778/

There's a Sydney event posted in the tournaments section of www.ozhadou.net called YSB every month that @Hoya Destroyer and @FatalxInnocence as two of our Sydneysiders, I encourage to attend. Has to be built from the ground up, but if they know DOA players are coming they can help.

I'm trying to encourage my friends to play DOA =P but other than that, I can't really force people to play. I did offer to bring a setup to YSB, but the guy clearly stated it would be a waste of my time since last time NOBODY was playing the game, or showed any interest in it. And since I'm really the only serious Sydney player it makes things kinda difficult. Next time you're here in Sydney Bezerk you should tell me and we can try get people interested but this isn't something I'm going to be able to do alone.

Berzerk!

I'm trying to encourage my friends to play DOA =P but other than that, I can't really force people to play. I did offer to bring a setup to YSB, but the guy clearly stated it would be a waste of my time since last time NOBODY was playing the game, or showed any interest in it. And since I'm really the only serious Sydney player it makes things kinda difficult. Next time you're here in Sydney Bezerk you should tell me and we can try get people interested but this isn't something I'm going to be able to do alone.

Yeah, you need another DOA player there, then gradually people may join in. Get @Hoya Destroyer to go with.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD