Metal Gear Solid V (Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain)

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
To some degree, you can actually go apeshit on the missions and still acquire S rank. It's base total time of completion and score ratio on how enemies are eliminated as well as what you used to do it.

You can use D-Walker in that Skull Face mission to speed through the base to the door and achieve S rank even if you alerted the entire base. Your time limit is the only score that can closely get to S rank without the need Ghost rank score multiplier. To imply, it is a bit different than previous MGs but I'm highly sure you can go apeshit in MGSV and still achieve S rank about half those missions. Some of those missions I had to do it to obtain Raiden's suit and platinum the game. You can sneak in MGSV but it isn't a mandatory thing compared to the older ones where you had to do it to obtain even at least a good rank.

Argentus

MGSV was definitely NOT a "genreric 3rd person shooter"... you absolutely stealth it, in fact I've gotten many S ranks in missions from getting no kills and no alerts.
I get constant s ranks too but its damn easy to "sneak" when there's nobody around, is my point XD.

Most missions went "show up at place, buddy marks everyone, snipe everyone from a mile out, casually stroll in to objective."

Or even without sniping its as hard as just staying on the far side from the like 5 guys in a base.
Okb zero is the only real sneaking mission in the game, with all the corners and cameras and guards and helicopter patrolling.

Otherwise its like 5 guards around 6 huts every once in a while lol.

I mean you CAN go out of your way to intentionally sneak right next to guards for a challenge but there's really no point.

Open world doesn't work for stealth when its all just empty wilderness.

Oh wait no there are two other stealth missions I forgot. the first to rescue Millar (the outpost he is in has a lot of blind spots), and the mansion to get code talker.

To some degree, you can actually go apeshit on the missions and still acquire S rank. It's base total time of completion and score ratio on how enemies are eliminated as well as what you used to do it.

You can use D-Walker in that Skull Face mission to speed through the base to the door and achieve S rank even if you alerted the entire base. Your time limit is the only score that can closely get to S rank without the need Ghost rank score multiplier. To imply, it is a bit different than previous MGs but I'm highly sure you can go apeshit in MGSV and still achieve S rank about half those missions. Some of those missions I had to do it to obtain Raiden's suit and platinum the game. You can sneak in MGSV but it isn't a mandatory thing compared to the older ones where you had to do it to obtain even at least a good rank.

That too. I'm trying to get all sranks by way of perfect stealth for maximum challenge but just going Rambo would be a way easier srank lol

Last edited:

Hazard

Standard Donor
I do understand what @Argentus is saying, as I believe Kojima productions was too experienced with close quarters sneaking, they didn't really know how to implement long range interaction (farther view distance for enemies, for example). Been playing with Infinite Heaven on, and going in Rambo has basically become impossible for me XD Sneaking into places is even hard.

Argentus

I do understand what @Argentus is saying, as I believe Kojima productions was too experienced with close quarters sneaking, they didn't really know how to implement long range interaction (farther view distance for enemies, for example). Been playing with Infinite Heaven on, and going in Rambo has basically become impossible for me XD Sneaking into places is even hard.

Infinite heaven?

Also sucks that we don't have classic gear anymore. Magazines etc. And enemies aren't as perceptive as in older games either...

For example in previous metal gears enemies could actually spot you footprints, would immediately turn if they heard a noise instead if the slow shamble enemies do in 5, and in older games enemies would actually use tactics such as formations and specialty weapons. None of that in 5.

UpSideDownGRUNT

No specialty weapons? So the guys with Sniper Rifles that can spot you half a mile away, guys in full riot suits and Heavy Machine Guns and guys with Missile Launchers arent "specialty" weapons >.>

And you're having a buddy mark everything and snipe everyone sounds more of a you problem. Going in with a fatigues uniform no buddy and basic equipment is still very valid. I like to go for no traces(and fail but I still try) that doesnt make MGSV a shooter though.

The main purpose is still a stealth game and a good one it even becomes challenging if you let the enemy readiness get high enough

Hazard

Standard Donor
Infinite heaven?

Also sucks that we don't have classic gear anymore. Magazines etc. And enemies aren't as perceptive as in older games either...

For example in previous metal gears enemies could actually spot you footprints, would immediately turn if they heard a noise instead if the slow shamble enemies do in 5, and in older games enemies would actually use tactics such as formations and specialty weapons. None of that in 5.

Infinite Heaven is a mod on PC that lets you change a bunch of values for the game (Health, enemy preparedness, etc.)

And if I recall correctly, the only "formations" that were ever done was room clearing.

While I do have many gripes with V (mainly story related ones), by no means is the gameplay really bad. Most of the issues just have to do with going from small corridors and small open areas to a vast map.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
No traces (Ghost rank in JPN term) isn't a necessity to achieve S rank though. My only gripe with the game is that it does have a habit to consistently focus on one thing and minor for the other while still following the natural trend (think of Batman: Arkham Knight where there were missions with the vehicle, but far too much of it that it becomes hilarious fun in it's own way, yet it did put way too much priority for it). Now with the exception of MGS3 for having closed in environments (it's not actually out in the open since there are in-game barriers preventing you to bypass the map) those closed-in environments make the game feel as if you had to perform actual sneaking (MGS2/MGS1 for example.), but because next gen has higher development ideas and costs they went with the realism route for open world since it makes sense that way. Pretty tough to go back to it's roots completely, but it isn't a necessarily a bad thing to how they were going about it.

However since Kojima has left and Metal Gear is left in the hands of the unknown, shit can hit the fan quick that can completely change the franchise to the point that they may just drop the Metal Gear IP and create a new series not with Kojima.

Argentus

I would have been fine with open world if the actual objective areas were more indoorsy urban areas like the oil field, airport, okg zero, and fob bases. But there's far too much giant open areas that you just skirt to avoid everything entirely.

I also liked the rainforest outside the mansion as a sneaking area too.

But yeah just open fields doesn't serve a sneaking game very well.

Metal was 2/3 dead by the time V came out and judging by this stupid zombie game I guess its totally dead now.

Seriously why wasn't that just a dlc mode of mgo?

Hazard

Standard Donor
Could have just made a remake honestly (MG1/2). Sure, some MG fans would be upset cause it wouldn't stay true to the original in some aspect, but it's better than just creating some offshoot game that was late to the zombie craze.

Argentus

Id still love for hayter to return as Solid Snake in a full next gen remake of the first metal gear.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
There's Big Boss

And then....Bigger Boss

14095894_1287023444665476_5391938752247138154_n.jpg

14102197_651181131725363_8845892384759053331_n.jpg

Lulu

The Level Design and Snake's lack of Sam Fisher Style Acrobats makes Ghosting near impossible in this game.

Its like KP doesn't even care... they'l place 4 snipers on 2 opposing hills and then place your target smack in the middle of them in a wide open field with no colour.

Atleast theres no points or ranks on Side Ops missions.... so if you can afford it request Air Strike... or go full god mode and Change The Weather.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The Level Design and Snake's lack of Sam Fisher Style Acrobats makes Ghosting near impossible in this game.

Its like KP doesn't even care... they'l place 4 snipers on 2 opposing hills and then place your target smack in the middle of them in a wide open field with no colour.

Atleast theres no points or ranks on Side Ops missions.... so if you can afford it request Air Strike... or go full god mode and Change The Weather.

Lulu

Also... has anyone found a way to complete the R&D Target Practice without using any shortcuts ?

LoL.... the R&D Platform is such a maze that I actually don't even know how to get from the Top to the Bottom with Climbing A Pipe or leaping off a Rail.

dg1995

Also... has anyone found a way to complete the R&D Target Practice without using any shortcuts ?

LoL.... the R&D Platform is such a maze that I actually don't even know how to get from the Top to the Bottom with Climbing A Pipe or leaping off a Rail.
You should learn the way that you should go down. If you go correctly you always see targets within few meters.(Some parts you have to walk on the air ducts.)

Lulu

You should learn the way that you should go down. If you go correctly you always see targets within few meters.(Some parts you have to walk on the air ducts.)

I think KP set up that specific challenge and the R&D Platform itselft that way to encourage players to find their own way of doing it... Which is noble but also naive... All it did was Piss A Bunch Of People Off.

Thank God for Youtube...

Argentus

tbh I only ever have a tranq pistol and tranq sniper on my character and have no problem going full stealth.

The level design means sneaking is barely even a thing since you just snipe out the whole base from a hill outside the outpost.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD