Meter: Yay or nay?

Do you like how it has been implemented in DOA6 so far?

• Total voters

Lulu

I believe having an "easy" button is not gonna help people get into the game, it's gonna hinder it. Why would they wanna learn the rest of the games mechanics, if you can pull off amazing, over the top animated attacks, that deal lots of damage?

Thats the problem... because the Fatal Rush is unsafe, Slow and Semi-Predictable... new players may never got a chance to see those cool moves in the first place... I'm more concerned with how Veteran players are going to use them since they trigger a Fatal Stun which requires a break hold to get out of.... that means if your opponent has no meter then landing a Fatal Rush gives you a hefty chunk of Guaranteed Damage (I don't like Guaranteed anything in this franchise).

Why would you bother learning the stun system, the launch game, throw setups and counter system that DOA has to offer?

Its a shame really... this is what I love most about DoA and what is most Unique about DoA and I'l never understand why TN Implimented a system thats trying to circumvent it... what they should have done was bait new players into learning how the game is suppose to be played...

Young people and people in general these days, have a very short / "low effort" learning curve. They want to be good immediately and don't want to commit to a game that takes to long to learn.

I haven't actually spoken to enough new players to know if this is True and this Genre is known for front loading their games with the most unnecessary things (like Execution) before you reach a point where you feel like you're playing the actual game so really the Instant Gratification argument can't really be proven until this issue is addressed...

If they go online thinking they are amazing at the game and then get beaten, because all of us who bothers to learn the game, just counter their S command combo, will get mad/upset and think their opponent are using cheap mechanics to play the game.

LoL... yeah this is why I don't like the "Mash X For Awesome" Type of mechanics as a method for introducing beginners because its just a bad habit they're going to have to "Unlearn" and then start learning the proper way to play... it winds up just being a waste of time. This is why I don't play Ed anymore in SFV... his Anti-Airs are kinda rubbish compared to his motion/charge character Alternatives...

Fighting games has a loooong learning curve and are hard to get into and DOA is already a good game button mashing wise. People get into the game because of the great training system, command training and also people online and offline teaching them the ropes and the way the game is played.

DoA 5 Ultimate did this so well that its possible DoA 6 is the way it is because No one has any clue on how to improve on the current game's formula... lol... atleast thats my theory... 5 Ultimate was the game that opened my eyes to what was the big deal about Fighting Games.

People get into fighting games because they want to learn the games mechanics and that is not because of the EASY command they will become fans of the game. Either you like the game or you don't.

Actually DoA being easy is exactly why I was interested in it in the first place... to be clear... its the execution being easy that allowed me to stick with it long enough to enjoy it...

It could have just as easily been Street Fighter or Tekken but Noooooo... they want Frame Perfect Inputs and Expensive Arcade Controllers... lol... as if I'm going to invest in that shit before I even know if I like the game or not.

Leifang12

Thats the problem... because the Fatal Rush is unsafe, Slow and Semi-Predictable... new players may never got a chance to see those cool moves in the first place... I'm more concerned with how Veteran players are going to use them since they trigger a Fatal Stun which requires a break hold to get out of.... that means if your opponent has no meter then landing a Fatal Rush gives you a hefty chunk of Guaranteed Damage (I don't like Guaranteed anything in this franchise).
I think the CB was actually good in DOA5, because it was such a risk pulling it off. You had to constantly change strategies to get your launchers in and I love that mind game setup. It's so fun and gratifying ! But I agree 100% ! If this is the mechanic and system that's gonna stay in DOA6, veteran players will be able to get such good launchers and do a great deal of damage from 1 combo. It needs to be holdable or something needs to happen to this mechanic, so it is implemented into DOAs triangle system.

Its a shame really... this is what I love most about DoA and what is most Unique about DoA and I'l never understand why TN Implimented a system thats trying to circumvent it... what they should have done was bait new players into learning how the game is suppose to be played...
What needs to happen is that TN and Tecmo Koei needs to make up their god damn mind. If they want competitive play, they need to stop catering their releases to casual beginners. TN games (when Itagaki was in charge) was ALWAYS difficult. The AI in older DOA games was hard, but fair and much better programmed than DOA5 ever was! Itagaki didn't care for casual fans, he wanted a good, smooth, beautiful and a well playing game. And I don't think this current TN team is as talented as the Itagaki team was back in the day. Sure the technology is more advanced, but the overall direction and feel for DOA is lost. They need a strong leader, who really in depth knows the DOA franchise and loves it for what it was and not try to change the formular too much, but just perfect it each time and the CASUAL aspect is not perfecting their craft. Do your fans proud and create a game that shows you love your long time fans! That should be the main goal from a developer.

I haven't actually spoken to enough new players to know if this is True and this Genre is known for front loading their games with the most unnecessary things (like Execution) before you reach a point where you feel like you're playing the actual game so really the Instant Gratification argument can't really be proven until this issue is addressed...
Just look at how Mobile Games has increased over the last 10 years and how the sales for videogames for consoles and console sales has dropped. People like easy and instant gratification ! It is the issue that Social Media has had over the world. The satisfaction of being noticed and heard. Mobile Games award you for just starting up the game and gives you the instant positive gratification for a mediocre performance in a shitty easy game.

I have played fighting since the age of 6 and started playing DOA when I was 8 and I am now 26 and I have taught so many of my friends and online buddies how to play this game correctly and I see how easy it is to get down the basic understanding of the button setup. It is not the game and it's mechanics thats the problem, it is the development team noticing and getting scared of the "easy to learn" games and "easy to use mechanics" from other games. They are treating their audience like children, instead of challenging them!

LoL... yeah this is why I don't like the "Mash X For Awesome" Type of mechanics as a method for introducing beginners because its just a bad habit they're going to have to "Unlearn" and then start learning the proper way to play... it winds up just being a waste of time. This is why I don't play Ed anymore in SFV... his Anti-Airs are kinda rubbish compared to his motion/charge character Alternatives...
EXACTLY !!! Learn this AWESOME new mechanic that is AMAZING to look at and deals LOTS of damage, now go online, shit it doesn't work, unlearn that command and learn the game properly how it is supposed to be played, without getting frustrated that the game taught you something in the beginning that is not useable.

DoA 5 Ultimate did this so well that its possible DoA 6 is the way it is because No one has any clue on how to improve on the current game's formula... lol... atleast thats my theory... 5 Ultimate was the game that opened my eyes to what was the big deal about Fighting Games.
I loved 5 Vanilla. It was a perfect well playing game, that TN decided to ruin in my opinion. You don't have to improve what is working and that's the issue with fighting games. They feel that ADDING AND ADDING AND ADDING more content is what we want. IT IS NOT. we fans would be just as happy with better overall balanced mechanics of DOA5 and DOA2/3 with new characters, new attacks, better side step mechanics, more tracking moves for each character. Give us better graphics and costumazation, FANTASTIC online mode (THAT WORKS), nostalgic costumes and stages and new an exciting stages. Give us characters that are diverse and deep and a great story mode, for us to invest in each character and get invested in the DOA World. I don't need fancy new mechanics. I love DOA because of the CORE gameplay mechanics.

Actually DoA being easy is exactly why I was interested in it in the first place... to be clear... its the execution being easy that allowed me to stick with it long enough to enjoy it...
I feel in love with DOA because of a PS2 release trailer disc that was included in my PS2 purchase
I loved that you could fall down stairs, slopes, big ass interactive stages, fantastic music and beautiful graphics and amazing animation and they kept adding amazing things to the stages that was amazing later in newer games.

Where is the stairs, slopes, cars, jumping over signs, multiple areas in one stage in DOA5. If you look at Lorelei falling animations from the top floor, you can see that in DOA5 they only used 3 falling animations, but you can fall out in 7 different places in the stage. Then the animation, that is closest to that wall you punched your opponent through, plays, but it is not where you punched your opponent through. I HATE THIS SO MUCH! It is lazy and I don't get why TN are not using their efforts in making beautiful animation sequences in a FIGHTING ENTERTAINMENT game.

Even in DOA2U in the Praire stage you had grass that was flowing in the wind! They didn't even have grass that covered the characters feet. Grass was explained by a low poly texture on a flat surface ! And this needs to stop ! Perfect the animations, perfect the small details, put the love into the game that it deserves ! JUST DO IT TEAM NINJA

It could have just as easily been Street Fighter or Tekken but Noooooo... they want Frame Perfect Inputs and Expensive Arcade Controllers... lol... as if I'm going to invest in that shit before I even know if I like the game or not.

I play DOA, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Bloody Roar and I love all the games! I don't care for 2D fighters at all, but I respect them and I have tried them and they are not my cup of tea (with the exception of BlazBlue !)

NewWestFan

Premium Donor

This is what I'm concerned about as well. I get that FA isn't optimal and it's probably going to be much more lucrative to stun threshold and launch into juggle manually for optimal damage, but FA allows you to abuse the other player for free if they don't have any meter. Since it takes full meter to stop FA that's going to lead to some very annoying exchanges.

You and I both know you don't have to buy a stick to play SF or Tekken competently (Or even competitively) lmao Pad players are just as relevant as stick fighters. You don't look as cool since you're not rocking a custom art face plate with plexiglass and sweet looking buttons that make a satisfying clicking sound when you hit them, but Pad is just as competitive. The only advantage stick has over Pad is more precise control over character movement once you master control of the joystick (Which takes forever if you grew up playing pads rather than sinking quarters into arcade cabinets).

Now Hitbox is a totally different bag of pistachios lmao

Lulu

What needs to happen is that TN and Tecmo Koei needs to make up their god damn mind. If they want competitive play, they need to stop catering their releases to casual beginners. TN games (when Itagaki was in charge) was ALWAYS difficult. The AI in older DOA games was hard, but fair and much better programmed than DOA5 ever was! Itagaki didn't care for casual fans, he wanted a good, smooth, beautiful and a well playing game. And I don't think this current TN team is as talented as the Itagaki team was back in the day. Sure the technology is more advanced, but the overall direction and feel for DOA is lost. They need a strong leader, who really in depth knows the DOA franchise and loves it for what it was and not try to change the formular too much, but just perfect it each time and the CASUAL aspect is not perfecting their craft. Do your fans proud and create a game that shows you love your long time fans! That should be the main goal from a developer.

LoL... how is Koei Tecmo going to profit from a game who's player base only gets smaller and smaller ?

Just look at how Mobile Games has increased over the last 10 years and how the sales for videogames for consoles and console sales has dropped. People like easy and instant gratification ! It is the issue that Social Media has had over the world. The satisfaction of being noticed and heard. Mobile Games award you for just starting up the game and gives you the instant positive gratification for a mediocre performance in a shitty easy game.

I don't even know what the mobile gaming landscape is like now... as soon I found out Free To Play mobile games make their money be selling you extra turns I moved on and never looked back...

I have played fighting since the age of 6 and started playing DOA when I was 8 and I am now 26 and I have taught so many of my friends and online buddies how to play this game correctly and I see how easy it is to get down the basic understanding of the button setup. It is not the game and it's mechanics thats the problem, it is the development team noticing and getting scared of the "easy to learn" games and "easy to use mechanics" from other games. They are treating their audience like children, instead of challenging them!

To be fair... in a competitive multiplayer game... the challenge isn't suppose to come from the game itself... its suppose to come from the players.

I loved 5 Vanilla. It was a perfect well playing game, that TN decided to ruin in my opinion. You don't have to improve what is working and that's the issue with fighting games. They feel that ADDING AND ADDING AND ADDING more content is what we want. IT IS NOT. we fans would be just as happy with better overall balanced mechanics of DOA5 and DOA2/3 with new characters, new attacks, better side step mechanics, more tracking moves for each character. Give us better graphics and costumazation, FANTASTIC online mode (THAT WORKS), nostalgic costumes and stages and new an exciting stages. Give us characters that are diverse and deep and a great story mode, for us to invest in each character and get invested in the DOA World. I don't need fancy new mechanics. I love DOA because of the CORE gameplay mechanics.

Unfortunately thats a very difficult thing to market... even to the type of person who would be most interested in that sort of thing.

The pressure to come up with new features of any kind is only going to get worse if the competition is doing it too... and then before you know You're going to wind up with an Open World MMO Fighting Role Playing Game.... with Loot Boxes.

I loved that you could fall down stairs, slopes, big ass interactive stages, fantastic music and beautiful graphics and amazing animation and they kept adding amazing things to the stages that was amazing later in newer games.

Where is the stairs, slopes, cars, jumping over signs, multiple areas in one stage in DOA5. If you look at Lorelei falling animations from the top floor, you can see that in DOA5 they only used 3 falling animations, but you can fall out in 7 different places in the stage. Then the animation, that is closest to that wall you punched your opponent through, plays, but it is not where you punched your opponent through. I HATE THIS SO MUCH! It is lazy and I don't get why TN are not using their efforts in making beautiful animation sequences in a FIGHTING ENTERTAINMENT game.

I have no idea what you're on about... probably because I never played the previous games.

I play DOA, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Bloody Roar and I love all the games! I don't care for 2D fighters at all, but I respect them and I have tried them and they are not my cup of tea (with the exception of BlazBlue !)

Yeah I don't really like them either... I'm only playing SFV to see if I'l get better at it... so far... No Luck.

You and I both know you don't have to buy a stick to play SF or Tekken competently (Or even competitively) lmao Pad players are just as relevant as stick fighters

Nobody bats an eyelash when somebody wins using a stick...

But pad players are always noticed... in many cases they're even mentioned by name purely because they win on Pad.

I take it it to mean that its unexpected and therefore noteworthy because those games are obviously designed for Fight Sticks... actually my problem is not that something is designed for a particular controller... its that its not considerate of anyone who might be using anything else.

Like how Street Fighter won't let you use the right analogue or has enough macros for people who play on keyboard (lol I wana see someone show up to a tournament with one of those).

Last edited:

PhoenixVFIRE

The purpose of that button is specifically to help new players get started. If it was harder to pull off then it literally would have no reason to be there in the first place... and thats kinda problem the game is having right now...
The problem is that DOA doesnt need an easy button, when DOA has some of the easiest button execution out of any fighting game ever. Maybe ppl are just bad and dont wanna work for the skill, which is nearly always the case. DOA is easy to learn and hard to master.

Lulu

The problem is that DOA doesnt need an easy button, when DOA has some of the easiest button execution out of any fighting game ever.

I agree... but I could be wrong. Maybe theres an entire group of players out there that we just don't know about that are struggling with the game.

Maybe ppl are just bad and dont wanna work for the skill, which is nearly always the case. DOA is easy to learn and hard to master.

I would like to hear from these people... I wonder if TN's decision to include this mechanic was because they actually got feed back from these people... or if they just assumed they exist and plowed on ahead.

PhoenixVFIRE

I agree... but I could be wrong. Maybe theres an entire group of players out there that we just don't know about that are struggling with the game.

I would like to hear from these people... I wonder if TN's decision to include this mechanic was because they actually got feed back from these people... or if they just assumed they exist and plowed on ahead.
I'm genuinely curious too, cuz I'll be the first to admit that DOA's execution is one of the things that attracted me to the game. Like yes, I wasn't good right off the bat, but over time you learn more and more. I've had friends who were trash at the game until they started to actually take it semi-seriously and get pretty damn good in short periods of time.

Normal

I very much enjoyed reading this post.

Keylay

The problem is that DOA doesnt need an easy button, when DOA has some of the easiest button execution out of any fighting game ever. Maybe ppl are just bad and dont wanna work for the skill, which is nearly always the case. DOA is easy to learn and hard to master.

That's exactly it. People want to be able to pick up the game and be able to do cool stuff without having to put in much practice. Super Smash Bros. is probably the easiest fighting game and very popular. It has two attack buttons; A for attack and B for special. If you mash A, you get a combo. If you press A + up, down, left/right and you get a smash attack. Now look back at DOA6. If you mash S, you get a combo (on hit), if you press S+up/down or forward, you get a sidesetup attack that knocks the opponent away or breaker blow. All they have to do is teach the player what the S button does and they're good to go.

DOA5 introduced power blows and launchers but casual players probably couldn't take advantage of them. They had to be charged and you could easily get hit out of them. Another casual friendly game is Mortal Kombat X. When your super meter is full, press R1+L1 and your character does an X-ray attack that beats out most (or all?) normal attacks. And now DOA6 has breaker blows that beat out high/mids so casuals will be able to use them.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
That's exactly it. People want to be able to pick up the game and be able to do cool stuff without having to put in much practice. Super Smash Bros. is probably the easiest fighting game and very popular. It has two attack buttons; A for attack and B for special. If you mash A, you get a combo. If you press A + up, down, left/right and you get a smash attack. Now look back at DOA6. If you mash S, you get a combo (on hit), if you press S+up/down or forward, you get a sidesetup attack that knocks the opponent away or breaker blow. All they have to do is teach the player what the S button does and they're good to go.

DOA5 introduced power blows and launchers but casual players probably couldn't take advantage of them. They had to be charged and you could easily get hit out of them. Another casual friendly game is Mortal Kombat X. When your super meter is full, press R1+L1 and your character does an X-ray attack that beats out most (or all?) normal attacks. And now DOA6 has breaker blows that beat out high/mids so casuals will be able to use them.
Mmyeah. Smash Bros is pretty popular. I haven't played in ages but I'll probably be picking up Ultimate just to beat around with my friends who don't have the mindset to play actual fighters because they're too lazy to put lab time in. The longer I look at and evaluate :s: the more okay I become with it.

PB and PL were implemented very well yeah. Casual players never really got to take advantage of them after a certain point because lol Why wouldn't you just stand there and let them release it into a hold? Breaker Blows are the one new mechanic that I'm slightly wary of because I feel they do too much damage when they're thrown into the end of a combo. Raw they can do whatever they want because they have bad start up and lows beat them out and I bet they're linear so you could probably just "No. Stop that." and use that new fancy :8:/:2::s: mechanic they added. Speaking of I know we don't know yet because no one with actual experience with DOA has had time with 6 to give a report, but what are the odds that you can block a hit or two of FA and once you realize what they're doing just ankle jab them out or :8:/:2::s: to interrupt?

Fantailler

I'm not against meter generally speaking but it seems poorly implemented,easy shortcuts strictly added to generate false hype.They were beginning to take good decisions with doa5.All they needed was to refine it even more instead of adding auto hold auto combo auto evade auto sabaki... :(

They consider DOA as the little brother of VF ? Really ? Toning down the sex appeal and adding awkward automatic tools won't be enough to make it stand out.

It's pretty arsh considering how early it is for me to judge..but i have the feeling that it's shy decisions not really adding depth.

Getting rid of sidestep is stupid imho.This game needs defensive tools that are not strictly offensive,proper crouch dash fuzzy,full high circulars,forward and backward crouch dash especially adding BCD for spacing, proper framedata to induce proper abare/nitakus and commitment,proper pushblock,proper risk/reward etc etc etc i could go on for hours...

Doa5 was a first step in the right direction. Adding meter looks like an easy wayout,i'd rather have better pushblock combined with improved movement over supers and false tools with shoryuken priorities They wanted to borrow tools from 2d games ? Well they made the worst choice...remember SC5 ?Well i do and it still hurts.Pushblock would have been a better choice for example. VF5 FS akira's p+k ?

Players are becoming lazy and the overall fighting genre too.

This ain't SFV this is DOA,a 3D fighting game.TN seems either clueless or simply trying to please everyone,and in my book pleasing everyone is pleasing no one.

They had other priorities imho...

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I'm not against meter generally speaking but it seems poorly implemented,easy shortcuts strictly added to generate false hype.They were beginning to take good decisions with doa5.All they needed was to refine it even more instead of adding auto hold auto combo auto evade auto sabaki... :(

They consider DOA as the little brother of VF ? Really ? Toning down the sex appeal and adding awkward automatic tools won't be enough to make it stand out.

It's pretty arsh considering how early it is for me to judge..but i have the feeling that it's shy decisions not really adding depth.

Getting rid of sidestep is stupid imho.This game needs defensive tools that are not strictly offensive,proper crouch dash fuzzy,full high circulars,forward and backward crouch dash especially adding BCD for spacing, proper framedata to induce proper abare/nitakus and commitment,proper pushblock,proper risk/reward etc etc etc i could go on for hours...

Doa5 was a first step in the right direction. Adding meter looks like an easy wayout,i'd rather have better pushblock combined with improved movement over supers and false tools with shoryuken priorities They wanted to borrow tools from 2d games ? Well they made the worst choice...remember SC5 ?Well i do and it still hurts.Pushblock would have been a better choice for example. VF5 FS akira's p+k ?

Players are becoming lazy and the overall fighting genre too.

This ain't SFV this is DOA,a 3D fighting game.TN seems either clueless or simply trying to please everyone,and in my book pleasing everyone is pleasing no one.

They had other priorities imho...

I think DOA being downloaded 11 million times and that's not even including retail is enough to stand out... not to mention we have the best god damned characters in the FGC...

They didn't get rid of side-stepping... they replaced it with an attack that will defend. There are plenty of ways to defend yourself in the game. Not to mention, like @NightAntilli is doing, he's acting like the game is coming out tomorrow and it's 100% done. Guarantee there will be changes since it's only at 8%... did you know that?

Your book needs to be rewritten because it doesn't make any sense.

Fantailler

I think DOA being downloaded 11 million times and that's not even including retail is enough to stand out... not to mention we have the best god damned characters in the FGC...

They didn't get rid of side-stepping... they replaced it with an attack that will defend. There are plenty of ways to defend yourself in the game. Not to mention, like @NightAntilli is doing, he's acting like the game is coming out tomorrow and it's 100% done. Guarantee there will be changes since it's only at 8%... did you know that?

I never said the game was dead on arrival nor finished,I may be too much passionate or skeptical I agree.

But your sales figures are contradicted by "we are fighters" .DOA has Just been announced and it's already fighting to earn it's place at EVO as a "respectable fighting game".

Who needs to rewrite his book because it doesn't make any sense ? Me or DOA franchise ?

Last edited:

NightAntilli

???
I know the game isn't done lol. I try to reserve judgment. Most of the time a game feels different than how it looks.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I never said the game was dead on arrival nor finished,I may be too much passionate or skeptical I agree.

But your sales figures are contradicted by "we are fighters" .DOA has Just been announced and it's already fighting to earn it's place at EVO as a "respectable fighting game".

Who needs to rewrite his book because it doesn't make any sense ? Me or DOA franchise ?

Nice Aris plug there. He likes to talk a lot of trash about things he's very opinionated on and DOA isn't the first nor the last on that long list. Fun to watch him play Tekken 7 online sometimes though.

It does bring up a good point in why a lot of the FGC consider DOA a joke though.

The two biggest reasons for this are the fanservice (Which Aris bashed on really hard in the original video that pissed this guy off), and DOA's gameplay having a bigger emphasis on rock paper scissors (Which is a part of all fighting games not exclusive to DOA) which feels even more pronounced due to Holds. The inclusion of meter and stuff like FA (Which does a little bit by adding a means of getting guaranteed damage in, but not enough to make a huge difference) doesn't alleviate any of this though them toning down Fanservice may help a good bit. I'm not against the Break Meter but if they're adding it because they think it's going to enhance the core principals of DOA they have the wrong idea. It's just adding another facet that we have to work around/with while producing a slightly false sense of "New Depth".

Should have made the movement and neutral game more pronounced (Forced simplification of Side Step was a negative towards the former) before worrying about new stuff like Break Meter.

I don't think DOA needs to rewrite their book I just think they need to do some proof reading on a few chapters so the next one is even better.

Fantailler

I'm not against the Break Meter but if they're adding it because they think it's going to enhance the core principals of DOA they have the wrong idea. It's just adding another facet that we have to work around/with while producing a slightly false sense of "New Depth".

Should have made the movement and neutral game more pronounced (Forced simplification of Side Step was a negative towards the former) before worrying about new stuff like Break Meter.

I don't think DOA needs to rewrite their book I just think they need to do some proof reading on a few chapters so the next one is even better.

You can't go wrong with basics :thumbs up:

"proofreading" you nailed it. Wise choice of word. DOA is suffering the smash bros stigma,while trying to repent for "unforgivable sins"...

o_O

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD