The Spine

Naotora's ground game is probably one of the most threatening thing that she has at the moment, especially with her jump (9P). We all know that on knockdown we can 9P > 2K/K to end up behind the opponent and avoid a WUK. However, this is not ideal. Naotora's BT stance isn't all that great, and there's not much to gain from being there. There are better alternatives to this method, but it's not easy to pull it off. Essentially, Naotora has an "oki loop" if done properly.

"Oki Loop"
She can 9P > 2K and hit the opponent whilst jumping over both mid and low WUKs every time if she's at around 2.3 to 2.5 meters away from the opponent. Naotora has to jump as soon as the opponent's animation to get up begins for this to work. This essentially puts the opponent in 3 situations depending on if they hit, block, or do nothing. If they get hit, they are put into the bound to get back in the "loop" (6PK4K > BD to get at the proper distance to jump again). If they block, that's a plus GB, self-explanatory. If they stand up and do nothing/hold, when Naotora is in the air it's a 50/50 for the opponent if it's a high or mid kick. In that instance, Naotora is at an advantage in all aspects because she's safe on block and has stun/guaranteed combo if the opponent gets hit. Now, there are some drawbacks to this. The most important is that once you're in the air you have to commit to an option, and only 2K will avoid a mid WUK. So, if you guess wrong, you're just back to neutral (soft knockdown). Secondly, you can't empty jump if they decide to WUK, not too big of a deal. Lastly, the timing and spacing is incredibly strict, you could get hit or end up behind the opponent.

Sweep Option
Since Naotora has a full sweep, her oki is already decent. If the opponent doesn't WUK, rolls in a different direction or back, or just likes to press buttons on their wake-up, then all Naotora has to do is sweep as the animation for the opponent getting up begins. This is a meaty that the opponent is forced to hold, block, or get hit. This puts the opponent in another must-guess situation on top of the "oki loop".

That's it. That's what makes Naotora's oki decent. Feel free to discuss it here, explore other options, or tell me I'm wrong/I suck.

Last edited:

Nikotsumi

I just got to test it, and it seems really good, I'm gonna use it in my next matches to see how it actually works against human opponents.
Just want to point out that ending a combo with KK6KK > BD (or 9KK > BD) puts you in the right distance to beat WU kicks with 9P2K, kinda like 6PK4K > BD.
The only real downside to it is definitely the strict timing.

The Spine

I just got to test it, and it seems really good, I'm gonna use it in my next matches to see how it actually works against human opponents.
Just want to point out that ending a combo with KK6KK > BD (or 9KK > BD) puts you in the right distance to beat WU kicks with 9P2K, kinda like 6PK4K > BD.
It works fine with human opponents. It has the same effect, but it's just the timing that's different. Guess I'll be doing KK6KK from now on : ^)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD