New Character Rig joins the Dead or Alive 5 Cast

It looks like Rig has finally been announced, and with it is a new trailer of him fighting Christie and Bass on an oil rig.

[medio]450[/medio]

Rig is a Tae Kwon Do user from Canada who apparently is working on an oil rig with Bass Armstrong of all people. Bass is also repairing his bike while in the middle of the ocean doing his job in the mean time. You even get to see a return of his DOA3.1/3.2 4F+P launching throw.

Apparently there's also some history with Rig and Christie. I'm sure we'll find out once the game hits store shelves on September 25th so be sure to pick up your copy at launch day.

Update: Koei-Tecmo has provided the following bio for Rig:

Koei-Tecmo said:
Rig
- A natural born fighter, he has used his powerful instincts to master of the art of taekwondo. He has run the oil rig from a young age, and his colleagues simply call him "Rig." But even he doesn't know his real name or where he comes from.

Fighting Style: He learned taekwondo on the oil rig, which led him to create his own style, with plenty of moves he came up with himself.

The stills for Bass and Rig are displayed below:

Screens released related to the trailer:

Stage

Rig versus Bass

Rig versus Christie

Well dat's out the way.

I must say I really dig this character ! Even though it was the english voices, I like his personality.

They needed a character like this for a while.
agreed, apart from Zack who is just plain wacky, and Leifang, Tina and Hitomi taking all the classical girly parts (tina=sexy, hitomi=clumsy, leifang=cutesy) they kinda needed a devil-may-care character

Compared to Soul Calibur, this games level design is 5000% original. Besides most of these are not "perfect" shapes, as they have solid unbreakable objects protruding from the walls which disrupt the intended "shape".

But seriously, play SC as a series and you'll notice that every single stage throughout the series is literally just a palette swap from its predecessor with the exception of like two.
idk. it would not make any sense to build a circular raft so yeah, the raft on the river stage is square. same can be said for almost any other stage... they are based (kinda) off real locations and real architects like squares... its their fetish

Bayman's illegitimate son?
They took the blood from when Bayman was being interrogated in DOA4 to create a clone that would actually serve Donovan or whoever the DOATEC guy is. I'm expecting basically a repeat of the DOA2 Ein story to be honest. Not that I really care as I don't play fighters for story. Just give me awesome, unique fighters that are fun to play and you can make up whatever bullshit story to tie them together you want.

Here's the full press release:

TEAM NINJA UNVEILS TWO NEW CHARACTERS AND VIDEO VIGNETTE FOR DEAD OR ALIVE 5

Today Team NINJA pulls back the curtain on two new combatants joining the fighting roster for Dead or Alive 5, which is headed to the Xbox 360® and PlayStation® 3 on September 28, 2012 across Europe. The mighty wrestler Bass returns to the series, while a new cast member, the solitary Rig, makes his debut in the Dead or Alive franchise. Showcasing stunning new character designs and the lifelike detail that Dead or Alive is known for, these characters boast all-new styles and even deadlier techniques, reflecting the look and feel of the intense new generation of Dead or Alive combat. To premier these two new characters, Team NINJA has released spectacular new images of the characters and a video vignette highlighting both fighters in a never-before-seen stage.

Bass is an immensely powerful wrestler and former undisputed world wrestling champion. Always the overbearing father, Bass enters the Dead or Alive Tournaments to protect his precious daughter Tina from pursuing yet another one of her crazy dreams. Regarded as the strongest man in the Dead or Alive series, Bass is able to use a wide range of powerful throws as he aims to overwhelm enemies with brute force; a single blow from him can be enough to change the tide of any fight.

Rig, also known as The Fighter without a Past”, is a mysterious figure; even he doesn't know his real name or where he comes from. His colleagues simply call him "Rig", since they simply found him years ago on the oil rig that he now calls home. Surviving through instinct alone, Rig is a natural born fighter, learning from intuition and discipline. Mastering the fundamentals of taekwondo, Rig has expanded his arsenal, supplementing the ancient art to create his own discipline consisting of never-before-seen moves that have become his signature style.

The mêlée between Bass and Rig takes place in a dynamic new stage known as Fuel, where multiple levels and environmental dangers create a deadly backdrop as formidable as any opponent. Set on an isolated offshore oil platform, Fuel contains three distinct areas that provide their own unique challenges. Breakable floors and railings give way to whole new levels. As the fight heats up, the world comes alive as oil tanks and pipes explode on contact, causing flames to engulf the platform. Over time this creates even more Danger Zones for players to strategically use to defeat their foe!

Photo Mode lets players capture and commemorate their favorite battle moments. Whether it’s from an intense player vs. player replay, or from fighting the CPU, intuitive controls will allow players to easily capture the in-game action in an instant. With a quick adjustment of the camera angle and a slight tweak of the zoom players can set their favorite scene and land the perfect shot!

He seems boring. He resembles Goh from VF, and his TKD is not very exciting compared to TKD characters in other 3-D fighting games. Really bizarre considering that this is DOA. Fortunately, we've only seen a small fraction of his moves, but for the time being he doesn't make a strong impression.

The only thing about him that seems unique to me is that he's not a Korean TKD fighter.

He seems boring. He resembles Goh from VF, and his TKD is not very exciting compared to TKD characters in other 3-D fighting games. Really bizarre considering that this is DOA. Fortunately, we've only seen a small fraction of his moves, but for the time being he doesn't make a strong impression.

The only thing about him that seems unique to me is that he's not a Korean TKD fighter.

22764569.jpg

I don't need to compare him to the guys from Tekken. He's boring compared to ANY other TKD character.

Jenny from Bloody Roar in human mode is more exciting than he is. So is Chae-Lim from KOFMI2 without her supers. I don't need to mention Sarah.

Again, we've seen less than half of his moves. There's room for improvement. However what I'm seeing doesn't impress me.

I'm assuming the moves we've seen were specifically showcased to let us know he was using TKD. Since he uses his own moves as well as TKD I feel like he has the potential to be the most interesting TKD practitioner in fighting games. Give it time, though your opinion seems to be in the minority by a large margin.

Rig seems to be a balanced character. I'm more interested about his story. I have the feeling that he's related to DOATEC somehow.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD