New Feature for 1.03A

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3v

No I read it clearly.Broken game mechanics is still broken game mechanics no matter how much you try to Say it adds to the "depth" of the game.

I can say the same thing about the fighting that appeared on the Xbox called Tao Fang::Fist of the Lotus. I played the crap out of that game and loved every minute of it.Even still that game was busted all to hell. Glitchers use the same "depth to the game" excuse when it comes to cheesing in competitive games.
Missing the point, which is that fighting games always grow beyond how the developers initial design.
You can play basketball with borderline flat soccer ball and still make the game competitive. You could even say that since the ball is kinda flat and heavier it will go in easier and not bounce off the back board. The shapes and indentations on the soccer ball makes it easier to grip and shoot. You can say that adds depth.To me you just made the game worse. It still isn't a proper basketball.
Except we aren't substituting a soccer ball for a basketball. We're just finding the best plays and strategies that the rules (in this case, as dictated by the game's code) will allow.

A better sports analogy would be early MMA. We're basically doing what early pioneers did by training in the best of each discipline when everyone else was sticking to their traditional style.

Mailifang

Missing the point, which is that fighting games always grow beyond how the developers initial design.

Except we aren't substituting a soccer ball for a basketball. We're just finding the best plays and strategies that the rules (in this case, as dictated by the game's code) will allow.

A better sports analogy would be early MMA. We're basically doing what early pioneers did by training in the best of each discipline when everyone else was sticking to their traditional style.

I got the point. MvC2 didn't get better. It never got patched and the game play remained the same after its console release. The popularity grew on that I can agree with.

Yeah your finding the best plays and strategies but with busted or the wrong type of equipment.Or in this case busted game play. You can play basketball in the basic sense of the game with any type of mid sized ball with decent.But your not playing the game the way it was supposed to be played. But then again MVC2 was busted to begin with and the game structure and rules were messed up. So players just took what was offered and ran with it. The community supported it and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

d3v

I got the point. MvC2 didn't get better. It never got patched and the game play remained the same after its console release. The popularity grew on that I can agree with.
It did, because we explored the game and found ways to make it better.
Yeah your finding the best plays and strategies but with busted or the wrong type of equipment.Or in this case busted game play. You can play basketball in the basic sense of the game with any type of mid sized ball with decent.But your not playing the game the way it was supposed to be played.
Except we aren't playing basketball with busted equipment, and nor are we changing the rules. We just found a way to play with the all-star Dream Team against the boys in the hood.
But then again MVC2 was busted to begin with and the game structure and rules were messed up. So players just took what was offered and ran with it. The community supported it and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
The problem is that you're falling into the first basic mistake of the "scrub" in the most academic definition of the term. You're trying to impose an arbitrary set of "house rules" based on how you think the game should be played. It's like saying that 7-footers can't dunk because it's easier for them to reach the ring. Or that intentional fouls o players (who are bad at freethrows) to force a change of possession are bad because it violates the original intention of adding fouls to the game.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Why is my name being dragged into this discussion? I didn't ask for this.

To be fair, Sam Sultan, not everyone who complains about fanservice is gay. Take MaxDrago for example. He hates the fact I blew up some hawt pics of Hitomi on Fabebook, but he clearly "loves" Hitomi. But if that's not enough, I'll expand on that theory.

Maybe some people just don't have much of a perverted bone in their body or are just making an honest effort to stray from that mentality, be it ethical practices, religious practices, or whatever, which is respectable IMO.

Sam Sultan

Maybe some people just don't have much of a perverted bone in their body or are just making an honest effort to stray from that mentality, be it ethical practices, religious practices, or whatever, which is respectable IMO.

I don't think you will find any of those people in here since those people would probably avoid buying this game in first place. In fact most people who bought this game and definitely the ones in this forum probably don't mind the sexual nature of this game so to me its a little odd when i see people complaining about a feature like this when they are playing an already quite erotic video game, hence my previous post.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The problem is that you're falling into the first basic mistake of the "scrub" in the most academic definition of the term. You're trying to impose an arbitrary set of "house rules" based on how you think the game should be played. It's like saying that 7-footers can't dunk because it's easier for them to reach the ring. Or that intentional fouls o players (who are bad at freethrows) to force a change of possession are bad because it violates the original intention of adding fouls to the game.

Or the recent Super Bowl where the Ravens just had the punter hold it in the end zone to drain the clock. The offenive line was purposely hugging/holding the defensive line. Why? Because if they get called for holding the worst case is the same end result: A safety. The refs don't add time to the clock for penalties and they cant stop the play once it's been legally started. There were many a scrub who instantly claimed this was against the rules when the Ravens fairly assessed the situation, knew that they needed to drive the clock down so that the 49ers couldn't get another drive after the safety punt, and followed the letter of the laws to the best of their advantage.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I don't think you will find any of those people in here since those people would probably avoid buying this game in first place. In fact most people who bought this game and definitely the ones in this forum probably don't mind the sexual nature of this game so to me its a little odd when i see people complaining about a feature like this when they are playing an already quite erotic video game, hence my previous post.
They don't know what erotic is until they've played Sexy Beach.

By comparison, a game like DOAX is the equivalent of Harvest Moon... which helped me get into the game to begin with beyond the volleyball and fanservice. Even where fighters are concerned, DOA5 ain't all that erotic. The girls are just too damn hawt.

Mailifang

It did, because we explored the game and found ways to make it better.

Except we aren't playing basketball with busted equipment, and nor are we changing the rules. We just found a way to play with the all-star Dream Team against the boys in the hood.

The problem is that you're falling into the first basic mistake of the "scrub" in the most academic definition of the term. You're trying to impose an arbitrary set of "house rules" based on how you think the game should be played. It's like saying that 7-footers can't dunk because it's easier for them to reach the ring. Or that intentional fouls to force a change of possession are bad because it violates the original intention of adding fouls to the game.

Oh please don't bring up the whole "scrub" BS. Every game and sports have rules arbitrary or not. As long as the rules are agreed upon and accepted then they are fine. As far as the community accepting MvC2 an all its flaws I'll give you that.But it was still flawed. I attempted to play MVC2 at a high level for awhile I was decent enough to hold my own with my Cyclops,Psylocke, and Cap team in the local arcades around San Jose and playing the game on the Dreamcast. I then dropped the game after a year because the scene was not popular early on. After the game got ported to the PS2 everyone and their mama was playing that game. Soon enough players discovered new tricks,combo's, tactics, assist usage, and a whole lot of glitches, broken game mechanics, and character unbalance. And the community didn't deny the flaws.They embraced them. And that's fine. The game was still busted on a technical level. The games rules wren't changed the community just accepted the game and played it as is. The game ended becoming a "look, check out this combo I can do" or "Using projectile based characters to zone and chip your opponent to death" or teams consisting of zoners and rush down characters that can build meter real fast.

I myself lost all interest of playing the game at that point.There was no real creativity in playing how you wanted or using the characters you wanted. Because once the game and characters got broken down only about 30% of the roster was playable in high level play. Me not liking the game had nothing to do with scrub mentality. I just came to a realization that MvC2 was not the type of game I wanted to play at a competitive level. Its fun to play though.

Even the term "scrub" has different meanings based on what sport or neighborhood your from. The community didn't make the game better you made it more entertaining to play for you and those that supported that style of play in the community. Structurally that game was flawed. The closest 3D fighter I can compare to MvC 2 level of busted and fun factor is Kensei Sacred Fist on the PSX. That game had infinite combo's,glitches, and character unbalance. I loved playing that game too but not at a competitive level. Its good for fun though.

Even with rules in place certain players still like to cheat the system or circumvent the rules.

We are sooooo off topic.

Sam Sultan

They don't know what erotic is until they've played Sexy Beach.

By comparison, a game like DOAX is the equivalent of Harvest Moon... which helped me get into the game to begin with beyond the volleyball and fanservice. Even where fighters are concerned, DOA5 ain't all that erotic. The girls are just too damn hawt.

Uhm...have you seen lisa's swimsuit? And the breast mechanics that was promoted even before the game actually came out to me that makes this game erotic. So anyone who bought this game knew damn well what kind of game this is and the reactions of some in this thread is just fake but oh well i guess not everyone is as self confident as you are about stuff like this.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
We all know that busties are in every fighting at this time and age. It's common for this to happen so it really doesn't mean much anyways. Soul Calibur has them, DOA has them (obviously, it's no surprise); same goes for Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter and god knows how many others. Sexuality has been in gaming since forever and that may not change. Honestly, who cares about them?
They're just extra stuff that developers add in, possibly to increase sales. It works for Team Ninja, so that's fine by them (maybe Itageki at least). I've only been to two offline tournaments (Texas Bar Fights Round X and Dtown Beatdowns) and honestly tournaments are what makes me keep playing DOA5. When I go to tournaments, I actually have a sense of will to keep playing more and more. To me, sexuality (boobs and ass) doesn't mean a thing like it does to some people (the pervs probably). But the gameplay and friends in the FGC of the DFW area (MASTER, Sweet Revenge, Byakko, etc.) are what help bring a game up in the top.
Don't get me wrong, some fanbase is good (when it comes to brining in characters, stages and costumes). But when it comes to the point that people ask developers for bigger boobs? That's not how a fanbase should be running, at all. That's just my opinion.

Mailifang

Or the recent Super Bowl where the Ravens just had the punter hold it in the end zone to drain the clock. The offenive line was purposely hugging/holding the defensive line. Why? Because if they get called for holding the worst case is the same end result: A safety. The refs don't add time to the clock for penalties and they cant stop the play once it's been legally started. There were many a scrub who instantly claimed this was against the rules when the Ravens fairly assessed the situation, knew that they needed to drive the clock down so that the 49ers couldn't get another drive after the safety punt, and followed the letter of the laws to the best of their advantage.

Yeah I noticed that. But the ref missed so many calls in that game on both sides that the game ended like a MvC2 match. Baltimore was going to win anyway even without that "technicality" they used in the end zone. Even still after seeing what Keapernick did to them in the second half why take the chance.

1st round Player 1 blows out player 2

The game freezes on the console so the tournament organizer takes 35 minutes to fix it.Until he says screw it and gets another console

2nd round player 2 beats the snot out of player one and gains momentum

3rd round both players get in some good offense and defends well. But player one has a small life lead and holds on defensively with great blocking while the clock is down to 10 seconds. Player 2 makes a mistake with an unsafe attack. Player 1 chips out player 2 with a Cable beam for the win.

Dave

Oh how we always like to blame the Japanese for this don't we. let's face it guys we are mostly all men over here and the only men who would complain about stuff like this have to be gay. I mean is it necessary, no of course not but is it bad, no of course not. So please don't forget that there are plenty of dudes in this forum who actually like stuff like this, some are more apparent about it than others *cough* Awesmic*cough*. Let's not act as if tough we totally disapprove of this. The only bad side to this tough is the fact that to people who don't know DOA might think this is all that there is to it when they think about DOA.

....This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read. They have shown more than enough sexuality with the winning and losing poses, as well as the costumes and the breast physics. There is no need to add some mechanic that causes breasts to move around with the player controlling the joysticks or whatever that is. I don't even know how to take a game serious that has something like that in it's game play. Maybe if they were less worried about making some game boobs bounce around and more concerned about the actual game play and other aspects we would need to wait a million days for a proper patch.

bingsoo

Uhm...have you seen lisa's swimsuit? And the breast mechanics that was promoted even before the game actually came out to me that makes this game erotic. So anyone who bought this game knew damn well what kind of game this is and the reactions of some in this thread is just fake but oh well i guess not everyone is as self confident as you are about stuff like this.
Some people bought this game because the developers claimed to have gone away from that sex appeal approach. Some people wanted to give the game a chance as a sound fighting game. Some people like ninjas.

Call me fake however many times you want, but that six-axis bullshit feels insulting.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Uhm...have you seen lisa's swimsuit? And the breast mechanics that was promoted even before the game actually came out to me that makes this game erotic.
My comparison was being made to games that are actually ero. Outfits like this are actually pretty tame, especially when you factor the customization possibilities (and even Ivy alone) in Soul Calibur, which is generally accepted as a T-rated game... a T-rated game! lol

Sam Sultan

I'm glad we are all civilized people in here and don't offend people just because we disagree with their opinion good job guys keep it up! :)

Mailifang

Some people bought this game because the developers claimed to have gone away from that sex appeal approach. Some people wanted to give the game a chance as a sound fighting game. Some people like ninjas.

Call me fake however many times you want, but that six-axis bullshit feels insulting.

The only time I used the Siaixis motion control is while playing heavenly sword and Pain. I don't think anyone would use the Siaxis motion in DOA 5 during a game.But doing it as an after match taunt during a win pose would garner a few giggles or nerd rage depending on the person. For a few gamer's I can see it being fan service overkill.

Sam Sultan

You still thought this game had gone away from that sex appeal approach after they announced that hey where working on new breast mechanics and also announced the CE edition wit hot swimsuits for the female cast?
There are plenty of other good fighting games out there.
Also there are a lot of other games with ninjas in them.

bingsoo

The only time I used the Siaixis motion control is while playing heavenly sword and Pain. I don't think anyone would use the Siaxis motion in DOA 5 during a game.But doing it as an after match taunt during a win pose would garner a few giggles or nerd rage depending on the person. For a few gamer's I can see it being fan service overkill.
I use a stick during the rare occasions I play this game. I will never see those breasts jiggle on my TV screen, but the fact that the developers feel they need to patch something like that into a fighting game is indicative of how seriously they take their product. That's just how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD