New to FSD? Introduce yourself here.

Gurimmjaw

Yo guys, NorCalSamurai here, pleased to meet you. Pretty much brand new to DOA, but I've got competitive FG experience in Injustice, and play most fighting games at a competent level. Learning DOA because it's an interesting system and I find it to be really fun. I play Mila, but also am learning Jacky. Looking forward to levelling up and figuring this game out.

Welcome dude! I think I remember you back on TYM and injustice. You were a Superman main iirc. Good that you took an interest in DoA :)

NorCalSamurai

Hey there! Welcome to FreeStepDodge, and awesome to hear you're enjoying DOA.

We actually have a local scene out here in NorCal. @Prince Adon and I actually host casual sessions offline in Pittsburg on weekends if you're ever interested in playing offline and meeting other players. I am also down to playing online some time too.

Awesome dude, I'm sure I'll take you up on that some weekend soon! Pittsburg is right next door, easy trip lol.

Welcome dude! I think I remember you back on TYM and injustice. You were a Superman main iirc. Good that you took an interest in DoA :)

Correct! Back in those days I played Supes but after 1.06 I became a Wonder Woman main. You gonna be playing MKX? NorCal is going in when it drops.

Gurimmjaw

Correct! Back in those days I played Supes but after 1.06 I became a Wonder Woman main. You gonna be playing MKX? NorCal is going in when it drops.

Ah im guessing due to that F2 nerf? That really did hurt him. And yep getting MKX. Using Scorpion and Liu Kang if he in. These new guys dont interest me except Kotal Kahn.

Have a good offline scene here for MK so cant wait till it drops. MK and DoA forever lol. Good luck with DoA and hope you really enjoy it man.

NorCalSamurai

Ah im guessing due to that F2 nerf? That really did hurt him. And yep getting MKX. Using Scorpion and Liu Kang if he in. These new guys dont interest me except Kotal Kahn.

Have a good offline scene here for MK so cant wait till it drops. MK and DoA forever lol. Good luck with DoA and hope you really enjoy it man.

Thanks dude! And yeah, the F2 nerf pissed me off. I knew he was OP, and I was okay with the laser nerf, but I thought that he should have kept his F2 range and instead they should have made breath negative.

Awesome, I'll shoot you a friend request for PSN/PS4/PS3.
Sweet! I may or may not be on today, relaxing off a hangover and got some friends over, but the next time I'm on I'll confirm the request. Do you guys use a Facebook group or anything to plan offline sessions, or just through PSN and FSD?

Hey I heard this is where the DOA heads talk it up. I'm from Norcal and I picked up this game on a whim, and I'm definitely enjoying myself. I feel like I'm parroting the above conversation, but I've played FGs for about 3 years now and wanted to branch out a bit. I've played SF4 and air dashers mostly. I'm currently torn between a couple characters (Lisa, Mila, Leifang) but I honestly would just love to get games in. How often are meetups?

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
@NukNuks has recently started hosting casual events at his warehouse in San Jose every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (SF and other games are always there as well for casuals and tournaments).

@Prince Adon and I host casual sessions at our place in Pittsburg on weekends, usually on a Saturday.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like to play online sometime as well. PS3 or PS4.

My PSN is iHajin

@NukNuks has recently started hosting casual events at his warehouse in San Jose every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (SF and other games are always there as well for casuals and tournaments).

@Prince Adon and I host casual sessions at our place in Pittsburg on weekends, usually on a Saturday.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like to play online sometime as well. PS3 or PS4.

My PSN is iHajin

Pittsburg is a little far for me, but I could make it to San Jose. Do you know any good Lisa/Mila players to watch?

ACSeraph

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a long time checking out the guides here trying to up my game, and finally decided to sign up to ask for a bit of advice.

Been playing fighting games semi-seriously since I started college back in the mid 2000's. DOA has always been one of my favorites to mess around with, but 5 is the first game in the series I really tried to take seriously. I play a bit of almost every fighter that comes out, but I tend to stick with only one 2D and one 3D fighter at a time to focus on seriously. Currently DOA is that game. From the very first time I played the Dreamcast game I've loved playing Ayane, so of course I'm sticking with her in this one too.

Aside from fighters, I'm actually a very serious shmup (STG) player and I'd say most of my gaming focus is in that genre these days. But I still care about DOA and I want to make real effort to get better, so that's why I'm here. Nice to meet you!

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Welcome, feel free to send me a friend request on PSN if you're interested in playing some time. PS3 or PS4. If you ever have any concerns about Ayane in DOA5 I am more than willing to help out.

ACSeraph

I really appreciate the offer and I'd love to spar, but I imagine the connection would be hell because I live in Japan. I've found your guides for her really useful so far, but yeah I've been having a rough time of it lately. I tend to get locked down a lot, or everything I do just gets stuffed. If I press a button, I may as well be punching myself, at least that's how it feels. Anyhow I posted a bit more about it in the Ayane self improvement thread, don't want to derail this one. Thanks for your help and the awesome guide!

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I really appreciate the offer and I'd love to spar, but I imagine the connection would be hell because I live in Japan. I've found your guides for her really useful so far, but yeah I've been having a rough time of it lately. I tend to get locked down a lot, or everything I do just gets stuffed. If I press a button, I may as well be punching myself, at least that's how it feels. Anyhow I posted a bit more about it in the Ayane self improvement thread, don't want to derail this one. Thanks for your help and the awesome guide!

I know players like @CatzDaLegit and such are also in Japan. They may know of the hotspots or other players. You also have the Player Map in the nav menu where you can see submitted GTs of players in a region.

@ACSeraph

What are your fav stgs? Do you 1CC?
I love shmups but came to them only recently, well my background is being pretty casual artfag (Silent Hill, Psychonauts, McGee's Alice <3) and i never cared about challenge... I came to stgs after hearing how AWESOME music they have. I still havent decided wether i shall care for scoring and stuff or just stay where i am, appreciating genre.

Randzz

Just because you're in Japan don't think that you're connection is so bad. In DoA4 I played a couple of people from South Korea & the connection was better then some of the connections I regularly get these days. In this game I've played a couple of people from Europe & while the connection wasn't the greatest, it wasn't at a snails pace or "lag skip city" either. I have standard internet BTW, not the ultra fast Google ISP connections (though I hope for that soon) . Try 1 vs 1 connections if you know the opponent is from across the pond; even in other circumstances I always suggest that you try not to be in a room with more then 4 people, including you. While it won't be like an offline match, at least you'll know.

Salutations BTW.

Blacklink20

Hello all. My name is Blacklink20 and I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been playing Doa since Doa2. I have played all iterations of this game, but Doa5 is proving to be the most fun, and the most challenging one to date. Heard about this play from twitch and I decided to join, looking tips and people to play with on PS3. Looking forward to the experience. God bless and have a good and blessed day everyone. :D

ACSeraph

Cool thanks for the info everyone. I'll have to see if I can get in touch with some of the Japan players. And given the quality of PS4 connections that may actually be decent for international play. I'll have access to my PS4 again in early may and I can try it out.

@ACSeraph

What are your fav stgs? Do you 1CC?
I love shmups but came to them only recently, well my background is being pretty casual artfag (Silent Hill, Psychonauts, McGee's Alice <3) and i never cared about challenge... I came to stgs after hearing how AWESOME music they have. I still havent decided wether i shall care for scoring and stuff or just stay where i am, appreciating genre.

Oh yeah, I 1CC :D

As for my favorites, I play a lot of stuff, but Darius is probably my favorite series. The arcade cabs for it have 2 or sometimes 3 screens linked together for super widescreen, rumbling seats, headphone jacks to fully enjoy the epic soundtrack; it goes beyond just being a game, it's an experience.

I like a lot of new stuff too, though most of it is unknown outside of Japan. My top favorites from the PS3/360 generation would probly be Eschatos and Caladrius. I play Caladrius very seriously for score, and currently hold the unofficial world record for non-custom characters in it (leaderboard #1).

If you want to experience some stuff in the genre I'd primarily recommend MAME for players living outside of Japan. Most console ports are import only and it would get expensive fast. If you are into the art and feel of things, I definitely recommend trying out Darius Gaiden and a game called Metal Black. Both are in MAME and MB is pretty much my number 1 favorite shmup from an art direction standpoint.

As for how to approach them, I think the genre is hard to appreciate outside of single credit play, but I wouldn't worry about scoring much. I only play for score when I actually enjoy the scoring system in question. Not all shmups have fun scoring. Ikaruga seems to be one of the more well known games in the west, but the scoring is that game is f'ing terrible.

Metal Black

This! I'm really impressed by this game. Laser duels with bosses, post-apocalyptic world that transforms into some psychedelic trip, cool design (creatures, backgrounds, and that stylization when boss is defeated), music (soft and melodic yet percussive rhythms give the drive).

My other fav from what i've tried is Blazing Star, i wish i 'll have my own neo geo cab one day +_+

Ikaruga was an instant buy for me when they ported it to Steam, it's just dance, ballet, i dunno... I still can't go further than second level because i always loose concentration with obstacles which you need to destroy to free your way. But i already decided i won't switch on continues :)
I'm glad jap devs finding western audience with PC releases, i've bought Astebreed, Crimzon Clover, Revolver360 and Alltynex Second too. While i'm hoping starting collecting PCBs and console releases when i'll be able, it's fine that they make good games more available to people, cause you know.. How much for Radiant Silvergun?) Though i understand joy of obtaining rarities.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD