New to FSD? Introduce yourself here.

chuankaimah

hey people. I am REALLY new to the DoA franchise. Well not really, I did play the old generation version but I consequently I did not own a console capable of later versions. So now I am just making do with DOALR on PC, sadly. Anyway, I am struggling to pickup the basics and I have no idea how to pick a character which I really like. Browsing all the various forums on DOAW as well as this, the technicalities are overloading me. Thankfully I found a guide or 2 from the previous page as well as other threads. DoA is game I always wanted to play just not having the appropriate means to do so, until now that is. Any simple advice would be greatly valued too!

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
hey people. I am REALLY new to the DoA franchise. Well not really, I did play the old generation version but I consequently I did not own a console capable of later versions. So now I am just making do with DOALR on PC, sadly. Anyway, I am struggling to pickup the basics and I have no idea how to pick a character which I really like. Browsing all the various forums on DOAW as well as this, the technicalities are overloading me. Thankfully I found a guide or 2 from the previous page as well as other threads. DoA is game I always wanted to play just not having the appropriate means to do so, until now that is. Any simple advice would be greatly valued too!

Yeah, start off small and work your way into understanding the deeper mechanics. It can get overloaded if you jump right into the deep stuff.

Some of the starter tutorials you found are a good segue way into it.

Do you have any other fighting games you play as? Do you have/know your preferred fighting style you like (aggressive, defensive, punishment, mix-up, combination of, etc.)?

chuankaimah

Fighting games? I am not really an avid fighting game player, played BlazBlue perhaps. And King of Fighters but never got good at both. Preferred fighting style...I cannot say for sure yet because I am still trying to master the fundamentals. Like say if I go offensive I get countered very very easily. If I go defensive I get exploited way to easily too. So honestly I don't really know haha. I am still going through the in game tutorial, combo training, and the free training to try out stuff. I am not even sure the character I have chosen (Hitomi) is good for beginners because from forums dedicated to her, people are saying she's very skill based or something.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Fighting games? I am not really an avid fighting game player, played BlazBlue perhaps. And King of Fighters but never got good at both. Preferred fighting style...I cannot say for sure yet because I am still trying to master the fundamentals. Like say if I go offensive I get countered very very easily. If I go defensive I get exploited way to easily too. So honestly I don't really know haha. I am still going through the in game tutorial, combo training, and the free training to try out stuff. I am not even sure the character I have chosen (Hitomi) is good for beginners because from forums dedicated to her, people are saying she's very skill based or something.

Fair enough, discovering your optimal playstyle does come with experience and self-evaluation. No offense to the Hitomi players, but compared to the rest of the roster Hitomi doesn't really require skill lol. So, yeah, stick with her unless you find someone that you personally feel suits you better.

TheRealCoxinator

Fair enough, discovering your optimal playstyle does come with experience and self-evaluation. No offense to the Hitomi players, but compared to the rest of the roster Hitomi doesn't really require skill lol. So, yeah, stick with her unless you find someone that you personally feel suits you better.
Thank god someone else said it. Also picking a grappler might help with your mechanics, it gives more incentive to punish things, as well as being a salt mine.

chuankaimah

Is the tutorial in the game useful? I am still going my way through it. But then again I have seen guides which say different things about holding, some pro holding, some against it. So I don't really know too, I have trouble reading the height of my different opponents also. Is it not really feasible to just keep countering or something

Kronin

Yes, the tutorial in the game is truly good for learning the basics of the gameply but indeed it make just this, give you the possibility to know what are all the in-game elements in the game (and how to perform them). The guides outside the game can help you to realize when and how to apply such elements for developing a succesfull tactic, both in a general realm or in a specifical one for character.

About the holding, in general is a good rule (not respected from me...) to hold only when you are really sure to predict what the opponent is going to do, otherwise better to guard or even being hit sometimes (because often the benefits to hold a move can be lower than the cons to make a mistake).

chuankaimah

I see..so now other than getting to know fundamentals I should go free training and spam practice? I tried going free training once and I set a level for the AI but I don't seem to be learning anything

Kronin

Spam practice for knwoing better the fundamental is a must, but at the same time it's also better to focus your efforts on a peculiar character through his moveset and guides/video tutorial (many FSD users created them, just look for in the media section or in each character section). So just pick who do you think is more fitting your style (the characters universally recognized as more beginner friendly are Hitomi, Ein, Rachel and Momiji, however this hasn't to limit your choice, it's always better to pick a character that you like).

By the way my knowledge is pretty limited and I can't be of help with complex questions: just use this thread when you need of some technical answer http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/doa-q-a.714/ and if you wish an help from an user about a specifical character consult this list for knowing who to contact http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/helpful-character-expert-list.4490/

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Just do it man. It's always better to play a character you actually like than a character you play just because they're easy.
True, I was a dumbass for using Ayane as my first character in DOA5, because she's pretty much about as unintuitive as it gets for a beginner, but in the long run it has paid off beautifully and I have experienced great success with her. However I consider this the exception to the rule, and not the standard because I labbed the shit out of her back in 2012. I can't imagine that all new players would be able to manage that level of dedication while also learning how the very complex game mechanics work. Whenever a new player learns DOA5 in my scene, I almost always use Hitomi & Ein as a starting point for them because they're straightforward beginner-focused characters.

Pictured Mind

True, I was a dumbass for using Ayane as my first character in DOA5, because she's pretty much about as unintuitive as it gets for a beginner, but in the long run it has paid off beautifully and I have experienced great success with her. However I consider this the exception to the rule, and not the standard because I labbed the shit out of her back in 2012. I can't imagine that all new players would be able to manage that level of dedication while also learning how the very complex game mechanics work. Whenever a new player learns DOA5 in my scene, I almost always use Hitomi & Ein as a starting point for them because they're straightforward beginner-focused characters.

I think that's just also a result of not knowing what the easy and hard characters are, haha. I started with Helena, but in Ultimate I played Rachel and Momiji since release. They were easy as shit to learn then.

So what it comes down to, pick Rachel as your first character because she's easy and mad sexy.

SilverForte

Yup, as a tekken fan I started with Yoshimitsu who is generally considered one of the most complex characters in the series. But I was just so dedicated to him I didn't care. Depends on person to person though.

Like I just can't learn Rachel, just because I really don't want to and don't have the motivation.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD