Community Opinion: Dead or Alive 5 Last Round Dividing the Community

David Gregg

I have not found any posts here worthy of intellectual discourse. My responses are respectively inane.

Obviously the last gen consoles can't process a costume accessory menu on the character select screen. They aren't limiting you for shits n' giggles. Get real, guys.

And could you imagine what would happen if they tried giving Ayane a ponytail on last gen? The PS3/360 couldn't handle something so complex and the consoles would most likely explode. XD

Kohlrak

You got it twisted! lol I didn't say you had no right, I was saying Sony has issues, too; however, tons of sheep got the PS4 also! I don't see how giving in hurts them more! Need I go back to the DRM debacle? But yeah, asking the community for answers would have helped, but would it have actually helped? I mean, everybody has a strong opinion about what their reasons or lack thereof were. Again, catch 22; yet, that's what you get for trying to please everybody. But yeah, damage control is something a PR team is really great for, I suppose!

I knew what you were saying, i just thought i'd take an opportunity to make my stance regarding microsoft awkwardly clear.

In my opinion I think the community is overreacting. I've been skimming through the comments and people seem to understand the concept of marketing, economics, and everything that goes into making and selling games. With that said, there is a cutoff when it is not beneficial for a company to continue investing into endeavors that will not turn a return/profit.
As far as Team Ninja or Koei Tecmo is concerned they don't even need to release a version for last generation. What's the point? The fans have to ask themselves why and the answer is for the fans. If they didn't care about the community then they wouldn't bother releasing it on last generation. Still the word last generation needs to be stressed. Do people know the logistics of programming? Did fans have dev kits for both current generation and last generation? You can't point fingers and say "oh well they could have easily included this in the last generation version." without having real knowledge of what goes on with programming, coding, etc.

I know quite a bit about programming and hardware capabilities, thus why i made those comments. I'm a ps3 devkit and DoA5LR sourcecode away from being able to give you proof. We can see by how it was ported that the kits are similar enough, so making things available on the PS3 would be cakewalk. The shaders and stages are the only thing we can't be sure about, because we don't know the poly count of the stages, and we've only seen single frame shots of the new shader engine.

I get it, it sucks that you can't have all the features when you are paying customer. If you understand marketing then there is a purpose to this. Why are there preorder bonuses? Why are there collector's editions? Why does this blu-ray have more special features than the dvd? Why does dlc exist on the ps4 version of destiny and not the xbox one? Why are there console exclusives? The word PREMIUM exists for a reason. The whole point of exclusives, features, etc is to sell a consumer on buying that product. So if the last generation version doesn't have some features than the consumer might be swayed into buying into a new console. Is that evil? Is that unfair? Not necessarily. We work to make money. How you spend that money is entirely up to you. It's the beauty of making your own money and making your own decisions. If you don't like how certain companies practice their business than don't buy into their product. Are you guys fed up with Team Ninja or Koei Tecmo because of their business practice with Last Round? Fine, don't buy it. But if you are going to complain and still buy it then you are just being a hypocrite and going against your original argument.

And watch the game go in down in flames. We like what we have, we don't want to abandon it. At least if we're whining where they can see it before we don't buy it, they'll have a clue why. Master, on his stream, did a really good job of explaining what is going on.

So what happens when Dead or Alive 6 comes out. Are you guys going to be super pissed off when it doesn't release on last generation? Because I can guarantee 110% that it will not be on 360 or PS3. Are you once again going to point fingers and say they have turned their backs on fans? At some point we all need to take a step back and think both realistically and rationally.

That would expectedly be a whole different game with a major version number beside it to point to a significant upgrade. LR, however, is the same game with the same engine. They just did some tweaks and now say that the PS3 can't handle it.

This whole argument within the community is just plain idiotic.

On other places, i would refer to such a comment as subconcious admission that you have no argument. You're already Ad Hominem above by implying that those of us criticizing know nothing of programming. Now you're responding to tone, not argument.

If you buy a car in 2014 and then in 2015 you see they released that same car with new features are you going to complain to the manufacturer? As time goes on things change, things get upgraded. Just like anything else in the world it's time for the gaming community to move to next generation. That is the whole point right?

My car doesn't stop working simply because a new and updated car came out. Moreover, I don't have to buy an expensive pass that's 5 times the price (console) just to get in the lot and look at it.

TL;DR It doesn't make sense for them to continue investing in last generation. Team Ninja is ready to move onto current generation much like all the other game developers are doing.

All they're doing is porting code and commenting out lines for the last generation edition (that assumes the engine auto-adapts to hide the menus for the content [otherwise, it'd take even more effort than that to add re-designed menus specifically to show the content isn't there, thus they're putting even more development into the ps3 than if they would've left the content in there]).

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I don't know why this is such a big issue for this community.

When this kind of console exclusive content pops up in say, a Capcom game, we just have a chuckle and the automatically ban it. If anyone complains, it's mostly just new people who have no idea.

Stages are important in DOA much more so than in most fighters, and when console exclusive characters show up everyone knows why Sony,Microsoft,Nintendo don't want to help their compedeters and no one really blames them for that.

This is different though they aren't trying to keep Kratos from the Xbox or Link from Sony, they're keeping Last Round from the fans while trying to milk as much money as possible. if for some miraculous reason there wasn't a female DLC character coming up I garuntee you we wouldn't have even gotten the upgrade. they need our versions up to date so we can continue to buy all the DLC they throw out and they needed the girl available to multiply their sells across all platforms. That's why they are giving us the bare minimum. it has little to do with keeping us fighting as a com

Madian

@Madian:

So, it's 20K - big deal! It's not, but it's not about the money for some of us! Multiple TVs, stereos, game consoles, computers, games even! It amazes me how someone can rant about cross-gen; yet, own a game on several systems! I'm like DOAN, I'm getting the console and the extra stuff anyway, but I won't boast about it!

However, since it's a matter of expenses, why would you even consider cross-gen or multi-plats even since you're gonna have to dig deeper into your pockets? You've ready gone so far down in the enough trying to squeeze every little bit into and out of current gen. Is this why last gen is being treated like charity? That's a bigger fuck you than utterly those two words, period.

Is this an issue of: "Please fans, put yourself in the business suit to understand where we are coming from?" If so, why not have the business people put themselves in the fans position and see it from our perspective. Not every one of us thinks with $$$$ lit pupils!

I understand supply/demand concept, too! That's all this is in terms of trying to sell the consoles! Both came out at absurd prices (last gen, too - $600 PS3 - gtfoh!) The XBO was $500, Now, the price drops! I played on multiple 360s and got my Elite @ $300 - had it for nearly seven years. So, no, the $50 ($350) upgrade doesn't bother me.

From the get go. Sony and Microsoft WILL NOT give out a dual license for the old and new gen unless there is something significantly better about the new gen version. You cannot get perfect versions of both. Your choices are either a lesser version for 360 or PS3 OR no game at all.

What does bother me is this $400 tag (that's a PS4 by itself, btw) - console + game just for some minor tweaks? $400 for minor tweaks or just so gamers can test it! That's ridiculous! You could make the same argument for MKX, but NRS is blatantly saying it's "Sink or Swim!" (and I'm sure last gen will miss stuff, too; however, MKX is a complete overhaul from MK9 despite it being available for last gen) LR is not worth it in comparison. (and they pushed the date up to avoid the obvious fatality about to happen! (Just a little humor there)

Putting this game on next gen consoles IS a tweak. It means years down the road you can play DoA5 on a current gen console rather than dusting off your 360/PS3. If anyone is twisting your arm to buy a new console it's Sony/Microsoft.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
From the get go. Sony and Microsoft WILL NOT give out a dual license for the old and new gen unless there is something significantly better about the new gen version. You cannot get perfect versions of both. Your choices are either a lesser version for 360 or PS3 OR no game at all.

Putting this game on next gen consoles IS a tweak. It means years down the road you can play DoA5 on a current gen console rather than dusting off your 360/PS3. If anyone is twisting your arm to buy a new console it's Sony/Microsoft.

Do you have a source to confirm this? I am sure that those indie games that are on both PS3/PS4 are more or less identical.

Also the way you and others try to frame the discussion as "entitlement among spoiled gamers"(lol you should feel entitled if you're paying BTW) whenever someone voices dissatisfaction with one of their favorite franchises is not only intellectually dishonest and annoying, its just childish. I am sure that most here can or already have the new systems. That's not the issue. We are(I am at least) more than HAPPY to pay for a new patch/characters, that's not the issue.

The issue is that they are lying about leaving out arguably one of the most important things in the game(stages) to the tournament standard platform and that's a serious issue for some. You may be okay with this and that's fine but don't try to frame some peoples concern and anger as just immature because that's how some of you here look to be honest.

Madian

Do you have a source to confirm this? I am sure that those indie games that are on both PS3/PS4 are more or less identical.

Also the way you and others try to frame the discussion as "entitlement among spoiled gamers"(lol you should feel entitled if you're paying BTW) whenever someone voices dissatisfaction with one of their favorite franchises is not only intellectually dishonest and annoying, its just childish. I am sure that most here can or already have the new systems. That's not the issue. We are(I am at least) more than HAPPY to pay for a new patch/characters, that's not the issue.

The issue is that they are lying about leaving out arguably one of the most important things in the game(stages) to the tournament standard platform and that's a serious issue for some. You may be okay with this and that's fine but don't try to frame some peoples concern and anger as just immature because that's how some of you here look to be honest.

Actually my source is indie game developers that have put games on next gen systems. For instance, the devs of one of indie game released (my apologies but I can't name them) on XBone wanted to put it on the 360 as well but Microsoft asked them what would be different. Since the game had already been released on other ports there was no way they could justify it and so it became a Bone exclusive.

As for everything else you wrote, you're putting words in my mouth, thus I'm not going to humor you with a response.

Cheers

Kohlrak

Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement-en.svg

Actually my source is indie game developers that have put games on next gen systems. For instance, the devs of one of indie game released (my apologies but I can't name them) on XBone wanted to put it on the 360 as well but Microsoft asked them what would be different. Since the game had already been released on other ports there was no way they could justify it and so it became a Bone exclusive.

As for everything else you wrote, you're putting words in my mouth, thus I'm not going to humor you with a response.

Cheers

MS in particular is known for that. They demanded delayed PC release of Oblivion out of fear it wouldn't sell on the xbox. Microsoft is not Sony, so let me know when you have a case with Sony. Plus, this is the internet, even if you gave me a name that doesn't amount to much without direct quotes.

Intelligent Alpha

nobody is asking for perfect versions even if it's just on one console. However, when you advertise something as "Perfect" - of course, people are going to believe this! The war among graphics whores; yet, at the same time, I hear how the difference is very miniscule between consoles. People are still shitting themselves when games are said to be 1080 but come out to be 900. We're missing 180 vertical lines of dots - dots! Big deal! I guess they need to make TVs like computer monitors - not 4:3/16:9, but that it basically what that is when you can choose from 640x480 to 1920x1080 or better on a monitor.

And we know it's either company twisting our arms. I'm saying they didn't need to. I said earlier, if we want the current gen games bad enough we will get your damn console - meaning the decision is still up to us no matter how much you twist our arms! The arm-twisting is useless and it's hurts! If lteral arm-twisting doesn't make you see this (and this was fun for most unless you were on the receiving end) We are on the receiving end metaphorically and you wonder why we're screaming in pain? Come on now!

DOA5 - still DOA5 - not 6 - not X3 - 5! DOA is not some RPG where you have to tell a story in three games or more! This would be like Casey Hudson putting Mass Effect Trilogy on current gen, just to use that to get an idea of how Mass Effect 4 is gonna do! Are you serious? If the trilogy looked/sounded/felt absolutely gorgeous on last gen? If TR9 was such a big issue ... do you think anybody would wanna go through that? Rationalizing with the bottom line, isn't going to work! People are tired of hearing that! I don't care how true you say it is! At this point, your customers may as well feel apathetic.

The "Shut up and take my money" meme? Well, well, well! It's not so funny now, is it? Taking our money while keeping theirs so their pockets can swell even more! This kinda shit pisses people off and you can rationalize out the ass if you want to! EA didn't get voted the worst company in America twice nor are people saying Capcom is shit for no reason!

It's one thing to make a purchase; it's another to do so with your eyes close! There's also a huge difference between being fans of something and being sheep!

Now, tell me again, why I should give you my money and not give you shit while if I keep giving you my money, you eventually in return give me shit? Something doesn't add up - or maybe it does! Again, it is not about the money! The money for them and us is just a symptom not the cause of the problem!

I am reminded of a line for Die Hard With a Vegeance:

Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson's characters, whirl essentially nothing but slurs; yet, the line demanded tp be said by Willis via Jackson is this:

"I need you more than you need me!" And guess what these two are Starksy and Hutch throughout the rest of the movie!

It's asinine how fans are considered greedy and/or entitled when Koei is shelling out shitloads upon shitloads of DLC, but we as fans ask for too damn much! They need us more than we need them! If EA are greedy bastards, if Capcom are greedy bastards ... notice a trend here? For once, if we're so greedy it's about time companies started turning away from us, but they can't because of their own greed! And they tell us, they wouldn't be here if it weren't for us! That they aren't lying about!

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Dear tournament players: we are the minority for sales. For some of the team we are massively important. For sales and PR, we are not. While some parts of the community are raging at TN or Koei Tecmo, the press and casuals are loving what they see. Thankfully they are what most of the gaming world pay attention to, not us. They will get us a new installment.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Dear tournament players: we are the minority for sales. For some of the team we are massively important. For sales and PR, we are not. While some parts of the community are raging at TN or Koei Tecmo, the press and casuals are loving what they see. Thankfully they are what most of the gaming world pay attention to, not us. They will get us a new installment.
As much as I hate to admit, this man is correct. We all clearly disagree strongly but looking at this thread this infighting is stupid.

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

All of us were casuals at some point though! When the casual grow up just like we did, they will feel what we felt if what is happening to us also starts happening to them! I use to think DLC rants were outright ridiculous, but now I see they weren't - and I'm not one who purchased a crapload of a DLC either, but I understand where they are coming from.

As a casual with anything you are naive or completely oblivious to what is going on, but the minute you open your eyes. If this generation starts throwing stones like the last generation. It's a perpetual cycle - whether it's the businesses, consumers and in some cases both, perpetuating it!

I'm wishing LR well, too, but this is one of those: You went the wrong way about it moments! Of course, the casual is not going to care about the politics or dirty stuff that went on behind the scenes. However, don't think that such crap doesn't have an effect of some kind either.

HaKaShU

I know quite a bit about programming and hardware capabilities, thus why i made those comments. I'm a ps3 devkit and DoA5LR sourcecode away from being able to give you proof. We can see by how it was ported that the kits are similar enough, so making things available on the PS3 would be cakewalk. The shaders and stages are the only thing we can't be sure about, because we don't know the poly count of the stages, and we've only seen single frame shots of the new shader engine.

And watch the game go in down in flames. We like what we have, we don't want to abandon it. At least if we're whining where they can see it before we don't buy it, they'll have a clue why. Master, on his stream, did a really good job of explaining what is going on.

Until the game comes out and you see the real reception this is only speculation. How do you know 100% that the game will die? Why would investors pay for a company to fail? Like I said, use your wallets to voice your opinion. In the end though, I still think this is a profitable endeavor for Team Ninja / Koei Tecmo or they wouldn't be wasting their time. It's the same reason why they ported Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate to current generation, profits. The term milking comes to mind to get ever dollar out before they have to work on DOA6. It also makes sense because the time frame between DOA4 and DOA5 was a pretty long duration. More profits spread across that seven year lull probably makes the expense of DOA5 look better to investors.

That would expectedly be a whole different game with a major version number beside it to point to a significant upgrade. LR, however, is the same game with the same engine. They just did some tweaks and now say that the PS3 can't handle it.

The point I was trying to get across is that people don't want to spend money for a new console. That's one of the huge arguments going on within the community. One argument is the feeling that they are lying about what is actually capable in the last generation consoles. The other argument is having to pay "admission" for the better version. My question is did the community complain when DOA5U came out or when Plus came out? They are literally doing the same thing here.

On other places, i would refer to such a comment as subconcious admission that you have no argument. You're already Ad Hominem above by implying that those of us criticizing know nothing of programming. Now you're responding to tone, not argument.

I started my response with in my opinion. In my opinion I feel like it is idiotic. If you perceive that as having no argument then so be it. I was just throwing my thoughts out there of why certain features are in it and why some aren't. I also didn't criticize about programming. I said do we have all the knowledge, do we have dev kits, etc. I know nothing of programming, I am not a programmer. I bet there are gamers out there that do understand it like yourself but there is also the flip side that others like myself do not. I get it that you said you have a lot of experience and that's great. You still said you are a dev kit and LR source code away from having proof. So until you have proof it is all speculation of what the last generation console version is actually capable of.

My car doesn't stop working simply because a new and updated car came out. Moreover, I don't have to buy an expensive pass that's 5 times the price (console) just to get in the lot and look at it.

The last generation port of Last Round doesn't stop working. It still works, it just doesn't have as many features. Last Round is a working model for both current generation and last generation. The argument is that one is considered premium, it has more features. The $10 price difference is proof that Team Ninja / Koei Tecmo views it as the same. I never said anything about your car not working, all I said was that one will have more features. Also no one is telling you to buy an expensive pass to play a game. You purchase a console to play multiple games, not just one. Some of us who don't have a current generation console might see this as an opportunity to play more current generation games. And like I said earlier, DOA6 will be on current generation anyways.

David Gregg

My question is did the community complain when DOA5U came out or when Plus came out?

Yes, actually us Vita players did when 5U came out. It's just that there were a smaller number of us so our voices weren't really heard. But it's true the announcement of 5U killed the game for us who were able to play online against both 5+ and PS3 gamers (and now it's a ghost town).

But it's fine that players get screwed over right (even when it's unnecessary like in this case)? So long as the "serious" players get the "premium" version.

Intelligent Alpha

@HaKaShU:

Vanilla & Ultimate came out on the same system! Didn't U have more than Vanilla? Yes, it did! Now, they cut stuff on last gen as if you say current gen will have more stuff? You see, content is the issue!

5U wouldn't have occurred if folks did not bitch about how unfair it was that portables got the extra goodies. However, did everyone who was mad switch over just to get a portable to experience the extra content? This is why the Ultimate disc came out!

But twisting our arms though we may not get that much more? You're telling me that U should've never happened and V owners should've abandoned consoles?

You say there are three arguments, but one constantly keeps cropping up: Money. If there are three argument how is money the only issue? Most seem to have a quick response of: Well, it's free/cheaper! But bring up the issue of content, the issue of money easily explains it. No, it doesn't. It's a cop-out now! It must definitely grow on trees, since most think they can and should just throw it at all of the issues so they'll go away!

HaKaShU

Yes, actually us Vita players did when 5U came out. It's just that there were a smaller number of us so our voices weren't really heard. But it's true the announcement of 5U killed the game for us who were able to play online against both 5+ and PS3 gamers (and now it's a ghost town).

But it's fine that players get screwed over right (even when it's unnecessary like in this case)? So long as the "serious" players get the "premium" version.

I never said it's fine that some players get screwed over. I said it sucks but the main thing for Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo is to make money. If that comes at the expense of some of their fans so be it. I don't agree with that standpoint but that's how most businesses operate. The bottom line is the most important thing for a company.

I mean I was in the camp that owned Vanilla DOA5. Loved it and when Plus came out that was a bit of a bummer that there were extra features. I did end up buying it but I only did so because I owned a Vita. I didn't go out of my way to purchase a Vita just to play Plus. But I understand the feeling. When ultimate came out it did resonate with me that it sucked you couldn't play with the Vanilla version. Thing is that I felt that the added items outweighed the negative (costumes, modes, characters, etc).

@HaKaShU:

Vanilla & Ultimate came out on the same system! Didn't U have more than Vanilla? Yes, it did! Now, they cut stuff on last gen as if you say current gen will have more stuff? You see, content is the issue!

5U wouldn't have occurred if folks did not bitch about how unfair it was that portables got the extra goodies. However, did everyone who was mad switch over just to get a portable to experience the extra content? This is why the Ultimate disc came out!

But twisting our arms though we may not get that much more? You're telling me that U should've never happened and V owners should've abandoned consoles?

You say there are three arguments, but one constantly keeps cropping up: Money. If there are three argument how is money the only issue? Most seem to have a quick response of: Well, it's free/cheaper! But bring up the issue of content, the issue of money easily explains it. No, it doesn't. It's a cop-out now! It must definitely grow on trees, since most think they can and should just throw it at all of the issues so they'll go away!

Don't get me wrong. I've bought every single iteration of Dead or Alive since DOA3 on Xbox. But the thing for me is that I only bought every title because I had the specific console that it was on. If I didn't own a Vita there is no way I would have purchased Plus.

I also don't think they released Ultimate because the community complained about Plus being specific to Sony. I think Ultimate was released because it made sense from a business standpoint. They essentially followed the same business model as Capcom. The DLC costumes also really helped with profits as well. That's why they keep releasing costume packs. People continue to buy them so Team Ninja will continue to churn them out. People bought Plus and Ultimate so what are they doing now? They are released Last Round because they know they can capture a large market with current generation consoles. The only big fighters currently on current generation are Killer Instinct and Injustice. They are releasing Last Round before big titles get dropped like the new Mortal Kombat or the inevitable Street Fighter Arcade port. Once again why are they doing this? PROFITS.

Haven't you heard the phrase money makes the world go round? Content being excluded is a direct correlation to money. They want you to buy the current generation version because more profits. Sure it can be viewed as a cop out on the part of the developer but it is a calculated cop out. They are purposely not including content because they want you to move onto the next iteration. That is all my argument consists of. They want to make the most money and it makes the most sense for them to invest in current generation hardware.

Intelligent Alpha

I never said it's fine that some players get screwed over. I said it sucks but the main thing for Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo is to make money. If that comes at the expense of some of their fans so be it. I don't agree with that standpoint but that's how most businesses operate. The bottom line is the most important thing for a company.

I mean I was in the camp that owned Vanilla DOA5. Loved it and when Plus came out that was a bit of a bummer that there were extra features. I did end up buying it but I only did so because I owned a Vita. I didn't go out of my way to purchase a Vita just to play Plus. But I understand the feeling. When ultimate came out it did resonate with me that it sucked you couldn't play with the Vanilla version. Thing is that I felt that the added items outweighed the negative (costumes, modes, characters, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I've bought every single iteration of Dead or Alive since DOA3 on Xbox. But the thing for me is that I only bought every title because I had the specific console that it was on. If I didn't own a Vita there is no way I would have purchased Plus.

I also don't think they released Ultimate because the community complained about Plus being specific to Sony. I think Ultimate was released because it made sense from a business standpoint. They essentially followed the same business model as Capcom. The DLC costumes also really helped with profits as well. That's why they keep releasing costume packs. People continue to buy them so Team Ninja will continue to churn them out. People bought Plus and Ultimate so what are they doing now? They are released Last Round because they know they can capture a large market with current generation consoles. The only big fighters currently on current generation are Killer Instinct and Injustice. They are releasing Last Round before big titles get dropped like the new Mortal Kombat or the inevitable Street Fighter Arcade port. Once again why are they doing this? PROFITS.

Haven't you heard the phrase money makes the world go round? Content being excluded is a direct correlation to money. They want you to buy the current generation version because more profits. Sure it can be viewed as a cop out on the part of the developer but it is a calculated cop out. They are purposely not including content because they want you to move onto the next iteration. That is all my argument consists of. They want to make the most money and it makes the most sense for them to invest in current generation hardware.

Noticed, what I bolded! What is wrong with Capcom? EA pulls the same shit! Now, the fact that TK uses the same model and you wonder why people are pissed! EA ... I've purchased their games, too; however, I don't necessarily agree with their practices. Of course, this isn't the entire company - only one division as they do produce other games other than what they are known for. The same with their competition 2K. Sports was a huge genre of mine back then (same with my brother who owns Playstations). Now, not so much!

But while they have other divisions to therefore, produce other games, it's not like their A model of: "Let's release the same shit yearly with some tweaks." is non-existent and it couldn't. Hell, the first continuity of Tomb Raider did the same thing! An employee left the company because they were sick of it! I bet few more were and did the same.

The first continuity had five (six) games; the second had just three. Now, they are working on a second for the third continuity. Yet, there was significant gap between games eight and nine (08-13) and game ten will be released next year.

Now, you make it sound as if I'm ignorant. Yes, I've heard that phrase, but there is clearly a difference when you as a PR person tell us that your boss had nothing to do with this! Didn't Master ask us not to blame TN (although he said you can't completely absolve them either), but TK?

Remember, when I spoke on the ME3 shitstorm and how folks went postal blaming Bioware when it was EA. I have said over and over how it is not about the damn money! It's the damn greediness! However, I find it highly ironic the BS excuse they gave for making LR for last gen download only. How the hell are no other devs supporting physical discs when half or more games coming out for last and current gen are on physical discs? It's not like you don't have the money to make them!

If it's all about the bottom line and you're selling costumes out the ass, I'm sure some of that can go towards a physical discs! If not, 5U should have been a download only title! If it were, it's not like folks still would not have gotten it. However, some of us like tangible copies - even if we rip them to our HDDs - which, btw, you still need the disc in the tray! (Just like with CDs! Wait! They still make those, don't they? And I bet stores don't take them back - especially not if you ask for a refund after having ripped them to all prefered devices! It's bad business! Go figure!)

Last edited:

werewolfgold

This kind of sounds like a Microsoft only thing. The only thing that Injustice PS4 had over PS3 was better textures and the only difference between PS3 and PS4 Guilty Gear Xrd seems to be resolution output. Team Ninja would probably be able to satisfy Sony's requirement just through "teh softness engine". and 1080p. But, it seems like Microsoft is always throwing cogs in everyone's machines seeing as how Core Fighters didn't even happen for 360.

While some parts of the community are raging at TN or Koei Tecmo, the press and casuals are loving what they see.
I dunno, dude. Everywhere I look, it seems to be either rage or meh regarding the release of another installment just by looking at the comments sections of any given article. Genpop seems to be sick of fighting game re-releases in general. If anything, I think it's the hardcore ones that feel an obligation to buy it. My word isn't law or anything, though.

Kohlrak

Until the game comes out and you see the real reception this is only speculation. How do you know 100% that the game will die? Why would investors pay for a company to fail? Like I said, use your wallets to voice your opinion. In the end though, I still think this is a profitable endeavor for Team Ninja / Koei Tecmo or they wouldn't be wasting their time. It's the same reason why they ported Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate to current generation, profits. The term milking comes to mind to get ever dollar out before they have to work on DOA6. It also makes sense because the time frame between DOA4 and DOA5 was a pretty long duration. More profits spread across that seven year lull probably makes the expense of DOA5 look better to investors.

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I said that it would go up in flames, not that it would die. The big difference is, to go up in flames implies everything ends up a chaotic mess. And there's a difference between it actually being profitable and what they think will be profitable. This is why once popular games end up crashing and burning. Look at Star fox, because a half-naked fox lady and putting zelda gameplay to starfox sounded (and still kinda does) like a very profitable decision.

The point I was trying to get across is that people don't want to spend money for a new console. That's one of the huge arguments going on within the community. One argument is the feeling that they are lying about what is actually capable in the last generation consoles. The other argument is having to pay "admission" for the better version. My question is did the community complain when DOA5U came out or when Plus came out? They are literally doing the same thing here.

I wasn't really here for that change, because, at the time, a ps3 wasn't worth my investment. I was still playing solo on dimensions.

I started my response with in my opinion. In my opinion I feel like it is idiotic. If you perceive that as having no argument then so be it. I was just throwing my thoughts out there of why certain features are in it and why some aren't. I also didn't criticize about programming. I said do we have all the knowledge, do we have dev kits, etc. I know nothing of programming, I am not a programmer. I bet there are gamers out there that do understand it like yourself but there is also the flip side that others like myself do not. I get it that you said you have a lot of experience and that's great. You still said you are a dev kit and LR source code away from having proof. So until you have proof it is all speculation of what the last generation console version is actually capable of.

However, unlike hearsay, I am using knowledge and experience. It's all about shaders, poly-counts, and texture filters (which are probably in the shaders anyway). Although i do see the potential power that "playing dress-up" actually has on a match (though it's really dirty), i don't see that feature as that important. However, it's a picture perfect example of lies. If a given costume works, mixing it up doesn't add many (if any) polies to the mix. Making a preview can't lag the system any more than if it were to have a stage, because there are significantly less polies when you're not trying to render onto a stage (character selection screen). The only way is if they have no idea how to optimize and write a really bloated preview system, which i highly doubt given TN's track record.

The last generation port of Last Round doesn't stop working. It still works, it just doesn't have as many features. Last Round is a working model for both current generation and last generation. The argument is that one is considered premium, it has more features. The $10 price difference is proof that Team Ninja / Koei Tecmo views it as the same. I never said anything about your car not working, all I said was that one will have more features. Also no one is telling you to buy an expensive pass to play a game. You purchase a console to play multiple games, not just one. Some of us who don't have a current generation console might see this as an opportunity to play more current generation games. And like I said earlier, DOA6 will be on current generation anyways.

I noticed the game wouldn't let me start up Core Fighters when my internet went heywire for a few seconds. It's important to note that they can "shut down the servers" at any time to "make room" for "higher demand." And, if i were to buy a ps4 right now, it would only be for DoA. If it wasn't the case for many others, they most likely wouldn't even care about the issue, because the admission price is divided between all the games they want. I explained this to my girlfriend when i was trying to explain why a WiiU is a bad investment right now (for the amount of games me and here would even consider on it, it'd be an extra 30 dollars per game). However, unlike the WiiU, PS4 charges for internet, which they could easily make into a no-cost-manner. I'm not going to pay a monthly fee for something i may not even be able to use every month. And, it gets better, because it's still not decentralized (which would cost Sony NOTHING), they could shut off my game at any time. I'm sorry, Sony, but if i wanted to play that game, i'd own an xbox instead for the 2 or 3 more title's it has that you don't.

All of us were casuals at some point though! When the casual grow up just like we did, they will feel what we felt if what is happening to us also starts happening to them! I use to think DLC rants were outright ridiculous, but now I see they weren't - and I'm not one who purchased a crapload of a DLC either, but I understand where they are coming from.
As a casual with anything you are naive or completely oblivious to what is going on, but the minute you open your eyes. If this generation starts throwing stones like the last generation. It's a perpetual cycle - whether it's the businesses, consumers and in some cases both, perpetuating it!
I'm wishing LR well, too, but this is one of those: You went the wrong way about it moments! Of course, the casual is not going to care about the politics or dirty stuff that went on behind the scenes. However, don't think that such crap doesn't have an effect of some kind either.

This is the mistake that Namco made with ace combat. It's become a casuals game because the few people that took it seriously got alienated. I've loved the series, but i've played 2 games with the CRA system, and i'm not even trying the F2P game.

The problem is, alienating the loyal crowd that's advertising and hyping your game has a long-term effect. It's more like the get cash now scams. Only, the scammers are screwing themselves over.

This kind of sounds like a Microsoft only thing. The only thing that Injustice PS4 had over PS3 was better textures and the only difference between PS3 and PS4 Guilty Gear Xrd seems to be resolution output. Team Ninja would probably be able to satisfy Sony's requirement just through "teh softness engine". and 1080p. But, it seems like Microsoft is always throwing cogs in everyone's machines seeing as how Core Fighters didn't even happen for 360.
Pretty much. A charm of Sony is that you don't have the MS BS. So, sony sees MS pulling that crap, so it sends TK and a few others (that we're not paying attention to) a memo, and they think that because a big name like MS can get away with it, Sony can, too. And Sony wonders why they're having trouble pushing their new console.
I dunno, dude. Everywhere I look, it seems to be either rage or meh regarding the release of another installment just by looking at the comments sections of any given article. Genpop seems to be sick of fighting game re-releases in general. If anything, I think it's the hardcore ones that feel an obligation to buy it. My word isn't law or anything, though.
Accurate for the most part. I knw that my continued acceptance by the community obligates me. However, i'm no stranger to being an outcast, so i'm fine all the same. It's just really depressing seeing this all go down, though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD