Pai questions and answers thread (Fundamentals)

shunwong

For the guys that are arguing in this thread, please stop. Any further post will be deleted.

Thanks for making them stop. Could you delete their previous drama too? It'd be a drag if this turned into VFDC's BGs thread, which is a nightmare.

Back to Pai: I used to hate her 2KK when I fought against her in VF5FS. Now I abuse it on DOA5 :) Good times.

Allan Paris

Posts are being removed now.

Her 2KK is still unsafe. I wouldn't use it too much especially when people learn ways around dealing with it. It can be held, crushed, or throw punished when blocked. The low kick is also unsafe so you lose twice if you free cancel it and low is blocked. Getting 2K on CH is what you want from that string.

shunwong

Posts are being removed now.

Her 2KK is still unsafe. I wouldn't use it too much especially when people learn ways around dealing with it. It can be held, crushed, or throw punished when blocked. The low kick is also unsafe so you lose twice if you free cancel it and low is blocked. Getting 2K on CH is what you want from that string.

Thanks for removing the posts!

And thanks for the Pai tip. I was abusing it as a kind of twisted personal vengance. I'll use it with more care from now on.

If I toss out a 3KP -- a personal favorite of mine -- that gets blocked, I'm left at -3. I suspect my opponent will throw attempt, so I use P+K -- looking for some good ol' sit down action. LoL. (Yes there is a question in all of this. Oh wait! Here it comes now!) Will my P+K beat out their grab, or will I get swallowed up during my execution frames?

HoodsXx

P+K is really slow. its 19 frames. Just stick to her P, 2P, 46P, 6P and 3P+K. If you're doinf 3KP, follow up with 6P. It's fast and will beat them out. Tho most people (Who know what they're doing) Don't grab after a 3KP. A lot of people have some knowledge on Pai now, to know that.

While I do appreciate your advised follow up options; I wasn't really looking for a solid follow up to 6KP. P+K only grants a sit down stun on hi counter -- which is why I used the -3 as an example. I was just wondering if at a small disadvantage, will my P+K get swallowed up, or will I get the sit down stun I covet so much. When taking into consideration the start up of P+K, the former seems more likely, but I'm sure.

Allan Paris

While I do appreciate your advised follow up options; I wasn't really looking for a solid follow up to 6KP. P+K only grants a sit down stun on hi counter -- which is why I used the -3 as an example. I was just wondering if at a small disadvantage, will my P+K get swallowed up, or will I get the sit down stun I covet so much. When taking into consideration the start up of P+K, the former seems more likely, but I'm sure.

No, your move will not get thrown if they attempt to punish throw you. You will hit them every time if they reach to grab you after it. Now if an OH is done, I am not too sure on that one. But you can test all of that out yourself in sparring.

Yeah, I realized I could confirm that one on my own, after I had already posed the question. LoL. The training dummy can be so, whacked sometimes, that I hesitate to try some things.

Am I missing something, or is Bokutai stance not very useful as an offensive tool? Perhaps I should ask; ''Is Bokutai stance designed for defensive purposes'' -- like when I am at -3 after an attack?

NightAntilli

Am I missing something, or is Bokutai stance not very useful as an offensive tool? Perhaps I should ask; ''Is Bokutai stance designed for defensive purposes'' -- like when I am at -3 after an attack?
Depends really.. It's basically an evasive stance. It beats quite a few mids, so, the low sweep is probably the most useful. The other attacks often get beat out by your opponent attacking. The rest of the attacks are really there to have another option when people start expecting the low sweep. The stance can be useful when your opponent is stunned too, but she has better options in such situations.

Not only do they have a bit too much startup, they're unsafe to boot. So, how do I go about finding the frame advantage/disadvantage, associated with shifting from one of her attacks into Bokutai stance -- is there some sort of mathematical equation?

Tokkosho

is there anytime when her back turn stance (don't feel like looking up the name) isn't totally useless? it has very very little evasiveness, slow options, and you can't transition into it from any strings... i feel its very pointless. if theres any tips on when to use it that would be great

Allan Paris

Not only do they have a bit too much startup, they're unsafe to boot. So, how do I go about finding the frame advantage/disadvantage, associated with shifting from one of her attacks into Bokutai stance -- is there some sort of mathematical equation?

She is unsafe any time she transitions into Bokutai. At the very least she is at -5. There is no mathematical equation behind it, I have tried to find it because out of all of her stances Bokutai is my favorite one. The attacks from her Bokutai are very good if you do manage to go into it, with being hit out of it.

is there anytime when her back turn stance (don't feel like looking up the name) isn't totally useless? it has very very little evasiveness, slow options, and you can't transition into it from any strings... i feel its very pointless. if theres any tips on when to use it that would be great

If I find anything I will let you know. I still haven't got the chance to really sit and play with her.

I'm not what you would call an expert, when it comes to Pai, but her PP4P strings transition her into BT stance at -2 on block -- in every case. Even her 3PP4P is -2 on block. Pai's BT PP4P and 2PP4P attack strings transition her into BT stance at -2.

Tokkosho

i mean her 4 P+K stance, her back turn options are good, but the stance that puts her their w/o a hit has some pretty crappy options during it

Gotcha. You were referring to her Meishouho stance. It doesn't strike me as a stance to be used liberally either. The punch attack is 2-1 combo, however. It seems like something to break out after you've read that your opponent is paralysed by your BT offence or after a connected 44P to bait a hold attempt -- that's a pretty long stun.

Olive the Great

I keep getting blown up by people who use high priority moves to space me out like Kokoro's fast elbow, Hitomi fireball motion punch, Mila's flip kick :(

I know that I have to keep practicing, but how does Pai approach? Use of dashes and mix up behind, low jab, 3p, and high jabs? Just looking for ideas. I can't find video of anyone using Pai in DOA 5 to study.

Any help is appreciated :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD