Play DOA3 immediately after DOA5.

TRI Mike

Yeah I've been wanting them to remaster DOA3 for a while. Hell I wouldn't mind just a digital release with online play even if the graphics look the same. The fucking game looks amazing even now.

IndigoPhoenix21

It's unfortunate but outside of the competitive community, DOA3 was pretty unsung. Most people revered DOA2(U) or DOA4. I have to admit that I'm big on 2U and 4 myself but from a technical standpoint, I can see why 3 is preferred. Sadly, despite all the versions of NG TN keeps putting out, I doubt DOA3 will be remastered.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The casual DOA fan, yes, reveres DOA2/4. The casual gamer opinion that I've seen, on NeoGAF at least, is that DOA3 comes up time and time again as a favorite.

DR2K

3 is still king, but I have a feeling 5U will knock it down. At least until it gets patched to death.

NikkySan

I keep coming back to DOA3, despite having no one to play with. It feels so smooth and fluid, especially after playing 5U and 4 (I picked up a copy of 4 since it was the only game in the series I was missing and it was only 10 bucks, I played it again last night, and ugh...). I would die if Tecmo released an online version.

I came across the post on the DOA4 boards on lolGameFAQs and came across this post, courtesy of Harry_McKenzie...
The whole doa community is trash, with exception of like 5-6 players who are actually good. They swoon over doa3 which is much worse than 4 but idiots don't realize it simply because NOBODY PLAYED THIS GAME IN TOURNAMENTS. If doa3 was as solved as doa4, nobody is their right mind would consider it a good game.

Doa3 has a few simple downfalls, which makes it unplayable.
1. Frame advantage - which basically makes it possible to keep poking and have advantage and the only way to get out of the loop is to guess with a counter. No really, thats the only way.
2. Move priority, some moves will always win over others, for example you are poking with Jann Lee and opponent keeps blocking you throw 236+k into his face and practically nothing you can do against it except to duck in time but seeing as how most pokes are mid and give frame advantage + how fast 236+k is its not as easy as it sounds to dodge it + its worth the risk because doing 236+k from close ranges does almost 100 dmg even without a wall because of ''close hit'' and is unblockable.
3. stuff like 2 frame grab from Hayate which he can combo you into the wall for a guranteed half bar or a 5 frame OFFENSIVE HOLD with guaranteed followup which can push you half way across the map or combo you into half bar from Jann Lee.

doa3 is broken as **** and anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron who hasn't played it enough. Its 100 times more fun than 4 but thats beside the point. From the looks of it doa5 is the exact same game as 4 but slower, so don't really expect it to be more than once in EVO.

I just laughed when I read it, since isn't everything he listed what makes DOA3 so good?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I don't believe Move Priority was in any DOA. It's always been speed based - hit box vs hurt box.

The 2 frame grab is also slightly true. Hayate could get +2 on guard and do a 5 frame throw which would make it 3 frame throw you have to fuzzy to get out of.

And the fastest 'catch throw'/ OH is 16 frames.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Stop lying, you know their is Move priority...lol. Well there is some move priority like mid Wake up kicks, and I truly believe some moves did have similar priority.

Rubedood

I got this game a week ago. Decided not to buy Honoka and instead use the 4 bucks to buy DOA3 instead. I feel I made the right decision.

Game really does feel more responsive and quicker than 5U/LR. I just wish this was the game we had instead of what we got, since many of the problems I have with the current game doesn't exist here. I hear shit talk about the 3-point system, but it isn't really an issue, because it's actually riskier to hold in this version. I like that.

Really would like a proper release of 3.1. It looks as if they made any minor issue I have with vanilla better. Oh well. vanilla still good in it's own right.

JAG THE GEMINI

Indeed. Is strange considering that they make an ultimate version for almost every DOA game.

Yep, that´s a thing I do not understand since years. Even DOA5 got 2 Re-releases...

And DOA3 is the ONLY DOA game which was never playable Online... It´s like Tecmo/Tean Ninja tries everything to make that game "vanish".

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The FSD system was tweaked in 3.2 to make it so the Cartwheel wasn't abusable like 3.1. This was a system wide adjustment and caused it so moves retrack closer to DOA3.0 style.

As for online, I don't think the online play would work well with this game as it's more frame intensive. It wouldn't play right online I believe, and players wouldn't learn to play it correctly.

JAG THE GEMINI

The FSD system was tweaked in 3.2 to make it so the Cartwheel wasn't abusable like 3.1. This was a system wide adjustment and caused it so moves retrack closer to DOA3.0 style.

As for online, I don't think the online play would work well with this game as it's more frame intensive. It wouldn't play right online I believe, and players wouldn't learn to play it correctly.

Ok I understand that DOA3 would be difficult to run properly online.. Just look at DOA5, still not a good netcode.
But SCV runs since years almost smooth online and so it should be possbile to make DOA3 almost run like offline I guess... ?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Doa3 online would be a rage inducing frustrating mess and I will have no part in it. And it doesn't seem like a viable project unless it has dlcs every month.

JAG THE GEMINI

But wouldn´t it be rather worse if the game would never! be seen again? I mean it is THE BEST DOA GAME EVER! Or not? I know this is not everyones oppinion, but people can just not deny how... Incredible this game was and still is! And there are those who never got to experience this gem or only played the inferior US-version.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD