Problem upgrading from Core Fighters to full version (EU PSN)

Rikkimaru

I've purchased Core Fighters, all of the characters, the stage music and the story mode. When I try to purchase the full game upgrade in the PS STORE I get an error message that says: "This product is not available at this time." How am I supposed to upgrade to the full version of the game if the PS STORE won't allow me to download the full game upgrade?

I don't think Core Fighters can be upgraded to the full version at all. You can only buy the 4 packs you mentioned (characters, story mode and musics) to expand it.

Rapham0n

I don't think Core Fighters can be upgraded to the full version at all. You can only buy the 4 packs you mentioned (characters, story mode and musics) to expand it.

This is taken straight from the official Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate website (note the text in bold):
"About the Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters
・The core game is free to play, with some gameplay elements available for purchase.
・Four characters (Kasumi, Ayane, Ryu Hayabusa, and Hayate) are playable, along with every mode except Story mode.
 Enjoy almost all DOA5U features at no cost!
・Fight not only with other players of the free version, but also with players of the retail version of DOA5U.
・Unlocked titles, costumes, and Story mode progress can be carried over from Dead or Alive 5 on PS3.
・At this time, the free version is only available on PS3. Check back for updates about a possible Xbox360 version.

DOA5U: Core Fighters users who purchase all unlock keys separately (characters, Story mode, and music) are eligible to earn trophies the same as players who purchase the full version key and upgrade to DOA5U in one go. A full version key will be available to these players for free download in order to enable to trophy unlock feature."

Source: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/ultimate/uk/home.html#ftp

Rapham0n

I've tried contacting Koei Tecmo Europe customer support, but I've gotten no response from them at all. Also Sony Computer Entertainment Europe customer support has made it clear to me that there is nothing they can do about this problem. I don't know if they just don't understand what the problem is or what. I've explained in great detail to them several times exactly what the problem is, but they are either really incompetent or they just don't give a damn. Either way it seems everyone in the EU who purchased the content separately got screwed. Let this be a warning. Do not purchase the DOA5U content (Core Fighters, characters, story mode, music packs) separately. You can NOT upgrade your game to the full version for free if you do that, despite what Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo claim on the game's official website. The only way to upgrade to the full version is to fork out even more cash and buy the full game upgrade even though you already have all of the content contained in the full game upgrade. The free full game upgrade that you see on the EU PS STORE is broken and cannot be downloaded at all.

So if you have Core Fighters do not purchase any content separately. Buy the full game upgrade right away. That is the only way you won't lose money on this game.

Rapham0n

It's no use. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe have stopped responding to my e-mails, and if I phone them they just keep telling me to rebuild the PS3 database and then try downloading the content again. Aside from that they cannot help me. Koei Tecmo Europe does not respond at all. I also found other people who informed Chin of this problem back when the game was first released and he had no response for them at all.

I ended up having to buy DOA5U twice. I downloaded Core Fighters, purchased all of the characters, purchased the story mode and purchased all of the music packs, and I still had to pay to purchase the full game unlock. Both SCEE and Koei Tecmo Europe can burn in hell for all I care. Their customer support sucks on an epic scale.

Leifang2000

BTW, I wonder... what if you get a disc version of the game and put it on your system.
The first time the game runs will install a thropy data...

Rikkimaru

This is taken straight from the official Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate website (note the text in bold):
DOA5U: Core Fighters users who purchase all unlock keys separately (characters, Story mode, and music) are eligible to earn trophies the same as players who purchase the full version key and upgrade to DOA5U in one go. A full version key will be available to these players for free download in order to enable to trophy unlock feature."

Source: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/ultimate/uk/home.html#ftp

Oh. I had no idea. Seems to be some kind of verification problem.
Did you buy special offer packs? I bought one and had problems to get it started.

Rapham0n

BTW, I wonder... what if you get a disc version of the game and put it on your system.
The first time the game runs will install a thropy data...

Unfortunately the physical media version of the game is not available in my country, and to import it is more expensive than the digital version. Also, everyone I know has the digital version, so it's not like I can borrow anyone's disc.

Oh. I had no idea. Seems to be some kind of verification problem.
Did you buy special offer packs? I bought one and had problems to get it started.

Here is everything I downloaded and/or purchased, and installed in this order:
-Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters
-DOA5U Million Fighters Set (Characters + Costumes) (Bundle)
-Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Story Mode (Game Pack)
-Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Dead or Alive 2 Music (Game Pack)
-Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Dead or Alive 3 Music (Game Pack)
-Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate Game Update/Patch 1.07

(NOTE: The DOA5U Million Fighters Set (Characters + Costumes) (Bundle) contains all 25 original characters, as well as 81 costumes from vanilla DOA5 and DOA5+. The other 4 original characters (Kasumi, Ayane, Hayabusa and Hayate) are already included in Core Fighters.)

After all that I still had to pay full price to get the full game unlock. I literally had to buy/pay for all of the DOA5U content twice before my game was upgraded to the full version. I spent almost an entire month going back and forth with SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT EUROPE customer support and in the end they did nothing to help me sort out the problem. And as far as I can tell KOEI TECMO EUROPE completely ignores you if you contact them with this problem.

I have heard from a few other people who have also run into this problem and they also say that when they contact SCEE about it nothing gets done.

The fact of the matter is I lost money and it's crystal clear that neither SCEE or Koei Tecmo Europe is going to do anything about this issue. But at least I can now play the full version of the game. I can tell you one thing though, I won't ever buy anything separate for any game ever again. PS STORE is broken.

I just hope others in the EU see this thread before they buy any of the content separately, so that they don't lose money like I did.

Last edited:

squarewindow

Standard Donor
I am not in your situation in that I didn't buy all the content separately and then try to unlock the full game, but if the scenario is the same for everyone who tries to purchase the game in this way then its unacceptability is only superceded by the fact you've been totally ignored by the support team for so long. Incredible.

Rapham0n

I am not in your situation in that I didn't buy all the content separately and then try to unlock the full game, but if the scenario is the same for everyone who tries to purchase the game in this way then its unacceptability is only superceded by the fact you've been totally ignored by the support team for so long. Incredible.

SONY doesn't give a damn about the European market. :mad:

If (and that is a big IF) this problem ever does get sorted out then I had damn well better get my money back.

EDIT: The way I see it Koei Tecmo could at least try to look into the situation, since SCEE is being a POS about it. But I get no response from Koei Tecmo Europe at all. I know the problem is most likely with the EU PS STORE, and that is Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's department, but seeing as SCEE can't (or won't) help me surely Koei Tecmo could launch their own investigation into the problem?

Last edited:

Rikkimaru

I wonder if there is at least 1 person in Europe who got the unlock key for the full game by buying all the packs. In terms of your case I can only think of the possibility that for some reason special character bundles don't count at all. But this would be ridiculous.

Rapham0n

I wonder if there is at least 1 person in Europe who got the unlock key for the full game by buying all the packs. In terms of your case I can only think of the possibility that for some reason special character bundles don't count at all. But this would be ridiculous.

The thing is the special character bundles don't download as one file. It actually downloads each and every character separately. And on my download list on my PSN account it shows that I have purchased and downloaded each individual character. Also, before I downloaded all of the content the full game unlock (the one that is supposed to be free) showed its status as being "Unavailable". The moment I downloaded all of the content the full game unlock went from "Unavailable" to "Free". However, when I try to download it I get an error message.

Anyway, to ensure that everybody knows exactly what the problem is (and to keep the thread bumped):

There is a free version of the game available for the PlayStation 3 that you can download from PlayStation Network. This free version of the game is called Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters.

According to the game developers/publishers (Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo) if you download Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters, and if you purchase all 25 of the remaining original characters, the story mode, and both music packs separately then you will be able to download the full game unlock for free, which will allow you to upgrade Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters to the full version of the game.

I have downloaded Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters from the PlayStation Store. I have purchased and downloaded all of the 25 remaining original characters. I have purchased and downloaded the story mode (which consists of two files, and I have downloaded both). I have purchased and downloaded both of the music packs. The problem I am having is that even after all this I am still not able to download the free full game unlock. When I try to download the free full game unlock I get an error message telling me that: "We're sorry, this item is not available at this time". Due to this error I am unable to download the free full game unlock for Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters.

According to the game developers/publishers of Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate I am supposed to be able to download the full game unlock for free now. However, like I've already said, when I try to download the free full game unlock from the PlayStation Store I get an error message telling me that it is not available. This means I cannot unlock the full version of the game unless I pay for the full game unlock, which means that I've just wasted the money I've spent by purchasing all the content separately.

I have contacted Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) customer support about this problem several times, and I've explained to them in great detail what the problem is. All they keep telling me is to use the PlayStation 3 safe mode to Restore File System and Rebuild Database and then to delete all my Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate data and re-download and re-install everything. I have done that and it still does not solve the problem. I have contacted SCEE informing them that the problem still persists and they then informed me that there is nothing they can do. I then contacted them enquiring about why they can't do anything and they have suddenly stopped responding to any of my further enquiries into this problem.

Eventually I decided to contact Koei Tecmo Europe customer support. So far they have completely ignored any attempts I have made to contact them.

I have been struggling with this problem for a month now.

In the end I had to purchase and pay for the full game unlock in order to upgrade my game to the full version, even though I had already purchased and paid for all of the full game content separately. This means that I have paid twice for this game. (Technically speaking I have paid three times for this game if you count vanilla DOA5). :mad: So is this the way Koei Tecmo treats its paying customers? This is completely unacceptable.

If somehow this problem gets fixed then I better get a full refund.

Last edited:

Rapham0n

Sorry for the necro, but I'm bumping this thread because neither SCEE nor Team Ninja/Tecmo has done anything about this problem.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD