"Promise me, you won't tell anyone" Honoka General Discussion

The reason you have this problem is because of what I bolded and underlined. You're at -6 and -12 on block then deciding to put out a 21f move which comes out at 27 frames and 33 frames after you free cancel into it after P+K and 3PP respectively. This is extremely slow and easy to interrupt. When pressuring on block you want to make use of her jab which is 9 frames and only -2 on block. Cancel that into more jabs or her 6P, 6K or 2P. 1P for the crush + tracking as well as throws. You also want to make use of PPP and PP6P. Use occasional delays of 6PP, 6KK / 6K2K and the 6P in PP6P. Her pokes are fast and recover quickly so you can apply good pressure that way.

8H+K is good to use when someone is blocking in neutral but here is the question I have for you. If you thought they were just going to sit there on standing block why not use 6T which is going to track, deal damage and give you more frame advantage? IMO 8H+K is best used as part of her wall game. Here 8H+K will splat if it makes contact and if it is blocked she is at + frames allowing her to continue her wall offense.

I also think 9P is a great string to use when she has advantage. 9PP is a natural combo on counter hit that does 40 damage and 9PPPP is safe. Also if only the second P of 9PP connects on CH then 9PPP will be a natural combo. For those reasons IMO this string is god mode for setting up tick throws especially since it contains multiple natural combos and a low that grants frame advantage into a free opener if they do not hold.
The reason you have this problem is because of what I bolded and underlined. You're at -6 and -12 on block then deciding to put out a 21f move which comes out at 27 frames and 33 frames after you free cancel into it after P+K and 3PP respectively. This is extremely slow and easy to interrupt. When pressuring on block you want to make use of her jab which is 9 frames and only -2 on block. Cancel that into more jabs or her 6P, 6K or 2P. 1P for the crush + tracking as well as throws. You also want to make use of PPP and PP6P. Use occasional delays of 6PP, 6KK / 6K2K and the 6P in PP6P. Her pokes are fast and recover quickly so you can apply good pressure that way.

8H+K is good to use when someone is blocking in neutral but here is the question I have for you. If you thought they were just going to sit there on standing block why not use 6T which is going to track, deal damage and give you more frame advantage? IMO 8H+K is best used as part of her wall game. Here 8H+K will splat if it makes contact and if it is blocked she is at + frames allowing her to continue her wall offense.

I also think 9P is a great string to use when she has advantage. 9PP is a natural combo on counter hit that does 40 damage and 9PPPP is safe. Also if only the second P of 9PP connects on CH then 9PPP will be a natural combo. For those reasons IMO this string is god mode for setting up tick throws especially since it contains multiple natural combos and a low that grants frame advantage into a free opener if they do not hold.
Yeah in that scenario I agree 6T is simply a better option. I know it puts me at a big disadvantage but its been working well, they freeze up at least expecting P+K P but I understand where you're coming from it is really risky. It actually isn't what was underlined that is getting me counter poked. It's just me throwing out 6P and it ends up hitting but not on counter so I'm at -8 and get hit for trying to jab, that and my PP attempts.
At least I was right about the 9P strings, your posts have been really helpful though, as a Honoka player I appreciate them. I'll be wary on throwing 8H+K out there

TakedaZX

correction on 6kk. You get something off of it if you counter blow them but if the first hit lands, the most you can get is 2p Lmao.

Chances are you'll be able to utilize both situations though.

FatalxInnocence

Honoka is fine. She could be better, but so could a fair amount of the cast. My only issue with her so far is initializing a stun so I can go into stance pressure/mix ups.

She is pretty bad when vsing someone with a solid defense. But 6T kinda forces defensive players to strike, counter, risk a crouch or guard. Which gives her a boat load of CH opportunities.

I do hope they change the properties of her 6k2k though... that ch knockdown is so frustrating... wish it was more like Marie's 6k2k on ch.

Key to Honoka imo is string canceling and string delaying. If you don't do that, you're gonna have issues. Her strings on block are severely one way.

And remember, 6T is Honoka's best friend.

( day 3 opinion! See if it changes as time goes by. )

NightAntilli

As I said in another thread, if they are blocking within a certain range, you have an easy way to break their defenses.

Setup I came up with;
:236::H+K: ( guard break on blocking opponent), BT :4::P+K:, BT :P:
BT :4::P+K: is guaranteed. That setup is really deadly. After it you have a lot of options.

Use BT :P:, then BT :4::K: (Launch), :K:, :6::H+K:, DS :K:, :6::K::2::K: (72 dmg). Alternative finisher can be :2::P+K::4::6::P: (with :6: and :P: pressed at the same time) 76 dmg. Does more damage but is harder to execute.

Use BT :P::P: to go into her stance that will allow her to either burst with :P:, launch with :K:, or grab for the throw into the air for a juggle.

Directly launch with :4::K: or :4::P::P: if they start holding the high :P:.

synce

Man if someone stands around long enough for you to connect 236H+K you might as well mash P the rest of the fight lol The move reminds me of Asuka's unblockable except it's even worse since it hits high. I wish you could at least cancel it mid spin

FatalxInnocence

Man if someone stands around long enough for you to connect 236H+K you might as well mash P the rest of the fight lol The move reminds me of Asuka's unblockable except it's even worse since it hits high. I wish you could at least cancel it mid spin

Yeah... this is pretty much why I don't use that move. People either dash back out of it or mid punch CH me... too risky. Doesn't help that she has no variants in it, and that like you said- she can't cancel out of it.

NightAntilli

Yeah true. But people still fall for it if you set it up correctly :) But other than that, 9PP2KP is a good one to break guards also. Considering she also has the fastest punches in the game at i9 for high and i11 for mid, neutral stuff like 46P are actually great for pressure.

FatalxInnocence

1KK is useless. -8 on slowest stagger escape and that's on a CH. Using this at a wall and getting a CH still grants the person a free 6T lol. It's going to make doing 1KK the only option... and stopping after 1K is -10 on it's own... sigh. Makes me wonder if somebody tried to OH after 1K would it beat out the 1K2K, and would it also register as a throw punish for 1K on block? I mean you don't even have to worry about 1KK because on CH like I said on slowest SE it's -8 so you can throw punish either way.

ailingeternity

Just picked up Honoka and she's epic. Her mixup potential is off the hook. If you manage to land any of her stuns into Hissatsu, her damage options are very good, I've understood most of her gameplay already.

1KK is useless. -8 on slowest stagger escape and that's on a CH. Using this at a wall and getting a CH still grants the person a free 6T lol. It's going to make doing 1KK the only option... and stopping after 1K is -10 on it's own... sigh. Makes me wonder if somebody tried to OH after 1K would it beat out the 1K2K, and would it also register as a throw punish for 1K on block? I mean you don't even have to worry about 1KK because on CH like I said on slowest SE it's -8 so you can throw punish either way.
It's a direct copy of Lisa's :1::K:, any string she has from that move is also useless, :1::P: and :2::K::K: are infintely better, if you're asking me it's for panty shots...

Anybody care to tell me why :6::h::+::P: is so good? I've seen a lot of people mention it, sorry if it's old news.

Saber

Anybody care to tell me why :6::h::+::P: is so good? I've seen a lot of people mention it, sorry if it's old news.
+8 frame advantage after the throw. It's a pressure/mixup move. You can practically throw out any move 18i and below and it will not be beat out by other moves. If they block, you get more 6T. If you try to hit, you'll get CH instead and be put in stun.

If your opponent knows how to fuzzy guard though then the move's useless. Like every reset throw.

I wish she could have an OH to frame trap after it but oh well.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Finally started playing Honoka. A few things that noticed:

A lot of combos (juggle combos) are malleable due to having so many moves at once within her move set. Offensively, she can be relatively versatile. I also notice that she may not be able to go into some of the stances without conducting an attack first. As if to say, the player would have to use the stances while instigating/taking advantage of the stun (Honoka has to do a move that "leaves" her in some of the stances). Playing Honoka kind of reminds me of playing Chin in KOFXIII. Because, Chin has a somewhat lengthy move set like Honoka does. He also becomes very lethal from up close because the mix ups that ensue at those ranges. Honoka needs to be careful around characters with quicker strikes as well...
Still trying to figure some other things out.

Saber

Most of Honoka's stance transitions only activate on hit. And on hit she's FORCED to transition into stance. The only stance where she choose whether or not to go into is Zack's Ducking stance (4K2 and PP2, except for Airwalk, of course), and to an extent Bokuho and Dokuritsu-Ho since you can cancel out of it. This really limits the usefulness of some moves which could have otherwise been essential to her toolset (specifically moves which utilize Dragon, Heichu and HNK stances - if only 66P+K and 8P could be like Kokoro's instead of the sucky version of it, never mind that the range on Honoka's version is terrible compared to Kokoro's).

Honoka's big issue is that she has to stun the opponent. She has excellent stun-launch damage comparable to Momiji's (sometimes getting even more damage), but her range puts her at a severe disadvantage. Like Kasumi, she has to fish for CHs, but unlike Kasumi, Honoka doesn't have the string mixups to comfortably keep them up close even when they're blocking. She's more easily punishable than Kasumi and has little to no tracking options in string.

Last edited:
Most of Honoka's stance transitions only activate on hit. And on hit she's FORCED to transition into stance. The only stance where she choose whether or not to go into is Zack's Ducking stance (4K2 and PP2, except for Airwalk, of course), and to an extent Bokuho and Dokuritsu-Ho since you can cancel out of it. This really limits the usefulness of some moves which could have otherwise been essential to her toolset (specifically moves which utilize Dragon, Heichu and HNK stances - if only 66P+K and 8P could be like Kokoro's instead of the sucky version of it, never mind that the range on Honoka's version is terrible compared to Kokoro's).

Honoka's big issue is that she has to stun the opponent. She has excellent stun-launch damage comparable to Momiji's (sometimes getting even more damage), but her range puts her at a severe disadvantage. Like Kasumi, she has to fish for CHs, but unlike Kasumi, Honoka doesn't have the string mixups to comfortably keep them up close even when they're blocking. She's more easily punishable than Kasumi and has little to no tracking options in string.
I completely agree with everything said here. I've used Honoka a little over 400 times online already and I'm still having trouble getting that initial stun. Out of the few characters I use, I feel I always have to put in so much effort to pull off a win with her in particular. I have an easier time with Phase 4 which I picked up roughly around the same time. I've never taken advantage of frames so much until I started using her, all those GBs and how 4K is -1 on block, It kinda feels like you need to know her frames to even stand a chance on top of knowing the range on her attacks, she appears versatile at first but in many situations you have like 3 options that will actually reach after that initial stun, for example stunning at tip range with 4K. I've dropped so many stuns because of moves just barely whiffing. It's been happening less frequently which is a good sign.

synce

I think if you compare Honoka to characters that aren't broken she's pretty good. But it would definitely be nice if TN loosened up the restrictions on her stance cancels. They seem to like her so there's a good chance we'll get buffs instead of nerfs

KwonJigglypuff

Okay so after playing Honoka for the first time, I really like her.

I like the concept of incorporating character's moves in several stances. I want more!

What things would you change or add for Honoka ?
- It's a shame for instance she doesn't have Mila's or Marie's moves.
- Also it seems hard to use both of her HNK throws. Very situational.
- I don't like that some properties were unchanged (Jann Lee's unblockable 236K)

AsheMann21

I too have recently bought Honoka. I have to say, it's pretty overwhelming for me to adjust between a handful of stances though. My mains have like a max of 2 while she has like, 7? haha.

Reactions: J2S

KwonJigglypuff

Isn't it frustrating for you guys, sometimes, not to be able to do some moves ? Like.. sometimes I'm playing with Honoka, and I forgot it's her and I want to use Helena's options from BKO (ducking for instance).. and I'm just like "wtf brain, get used to her..."

Reactions: J2S
I'm really bad and new to DOA5 so take everything with a grain of salt, but really I've tried to main Honoka and I'm not having much luck. I mained Helena before so I find her lack of decent low-mid mixups frustrating in comparison, only 6K2K and 9PPKP are any good, so basically block standing her is enough other than 6T, but it's not big damage and guessing can get you so much. I have huge problems to get out of pressure when attacked, 6P is her best tool but fails a lot, her high crush 214 P+K is almost useless imho, only 1K helps, 2p works sometimes but seems unreliable, maybe I'm biased with the amazing Helena's 1pp that can get you out of pressure easily, and for some reason it seems that whatever I throw can be countered easily at any range.

As an Helena player I don't like the options they have given her, I wish that on BKH you had 6K or sweep instead of neutral K, which is really short range and forces knee stance (I don't remember the name right now sorry). It's a pity because pp2k is great but her options on BKH leave a lot to be desired.

So you have to work incredibly hard to get damage and stuns, yet her damage is nothing extraordinary, and she has lots of tools but I find it hard to take advantage of them.

When you first use her she seems like a candy shop of great moves from other chars, however after some time I think I can't see the proper way to play her, I'm about 50 hours on PS4 mostly with her, I think I've tried most of her tools but at this point I can't see how to make her work.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD