"Promise me, you won't tell anyone" Honoka General Discussion

KING JAIMY

I'm really bad and new to DOA5 so take everything with a grain of salt, but really I've tried to main Honoka and I'm not having much luck. I mained Helena before so I find her lack of decent low-mid mixups frustrating in comparison, only 6K2K and 9PPKP are any good, so basically block standing her is enough other than 6T, but it's not big damage and guessing can get you so much. I have huge problems to get out of pressure when attacked, 6P is her best tool but fails a lot, her high crush 214 P+K is almost useless imho, only 1K helps, 2p works sometimes but seems unreliable, maybe I'm biased with the amazing Helena's 1pp that can get you out of pressure easily, and for some reason it seems that whatever I throw can be countered easily at any range.

As an Helena player I don't like the options they have given her, I wish that on BKH you had 6K or sweep instead of neutral K, which is really short range and forces knee stance (I don't remember the name right now sorry). It's a pity because pp2k is great but her options on BKH leave a lot to be desired.

So you have to work incredibly hard to get damage and stuns, yet her damage is nothing extraordinary, and she has lots of tools but I find it hard to take advantage of them.

When you first use her she seems like a candy shop of great moves from other chars, however after some time I think I can't see the proper way to play her, I'm about 50 hours on PS4 mostly with her, I think I've tried most of her ols but at this point I can't see how to make her work.
I'll just give some advice/pointers:

If you're looking for lows, 1P is a good one. It tracks, crushes mids (!) and gives a good stun on Counter Hit, however it is near useless on Normal Hit.

As for her stun game, you can try to bait counter hits for example by delaying the last punch of 3PPP. Or go with moves that stun on normal hit (8P or 3K) to begin your deadly stun game. I usually open people up with CH 6K (i12) and extend with 6H+K Dragon Stance K. That's puts them in CB state and give a good amount of frame advantage. Also, a lot of people tend to hold mid punch after 8P so I'd say 8P~P is a good stun opener/extender. That being said, you don't need to really play the stun game. Honoka has excellent stun-launch damage which gives a good amount of damage.

I'd say 214P+K is not completely useless. It's pretty good after 6T. On block it gives +1; follow up with BKO P or BKO 4P to get a quick counter hit

I'd say Honoka is a great characters against mashers. If they don't respect her speed (i9 jab, i11 mid) and +8 after 6T, that's a lot of counter hits for you. On defensive opponents however, it's very hard to get in with her. Like you said, her lows are beyond terrible and she's very unsafe which makes it hard to get the stun sometimes.

Also, are you from the Netherlands by any means (judging from your name FreeStepDutch)? If you are, we can take this to a conversation and talk in Dutch with each other about Honoka.

Actually I'm spanish, it's just a terrible joke about it sounding more less like frees step dodge :p

Thanks for all those suggestions, I have been almost completely ignoring 3K because it looked pretty unsafe, but judging by your comment and also that this guy here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4e9AAHvJo12d4Zvof8t2-Q who has a great Honoka and uses it extensively, I'll try to incorporate it more. Actually those vids have cheered me up about Honoka and that mostly I'm doing it wrong lol and it's not her being that bad.

Thanks for the help!

KING JAIMY

Actually I'm spanish, it's just a terrible joke about it sounding more less like frees step dodge :p

Thanks for all those suggestions, I have been almost completely ignoring 3K because it looked pretty unsafe, but judging by your comment and also that this guy here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4e9AAHvJo12d4Zvof8t2-Q who has a great Honoka and uses it extensively, I'll try to incorporate it more. Actually those vids have cheered me up about Honoka and that mostly I'm doing it wrong lol and it's not her being that bad.

Thanks for the help!
Well 3K is unsafe and so are the follow-ups but it will catch a lot of mashers and people who don't know how to punish. Hope you can get better in no time. :)

Xernuht

Thanks for the help!

The main trick with 3K is that you can slightly delay the follow-up PP rather than take the transition to Dokuritsu-Ho. It's still not safe, but it adds a layer to the mix-up.

The main issue I'm having with her is with her reach, especially against my scene's resident Christie players who can just 6P me out of damn near everything.

KING JAIMY

Really, playing against ayane is almost a bad joke, everything you throw at her gets completely destroyed
Tell me all about it. It feels like Ayane is Honoka's worst matchup. Ayane can space really well and whiff punish like crazy. Honoka has such short range and whiffs a move easily beyond close range.

Reactions: J2S

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Any Honoka mains/players on West Coast or Central/Mid West want to spar on PSN? I'm looking into getting more of this match up down.

PSN is iHajin

KING JAIMY

Butthole @KING JAIMY xD killing my Marie Rose when i was taunting that one day then does her shitty Peace taunt. lol I hate you!
What the hell? When was this? :O

I only taunt when:

1) You do it first. Then I simply return the favor.
2) It lags immensely to the point when I can not even play.

The taunt was not meant as any form of insult or belittling.

Last edited:

Lady Tengu

What the hell? When was this? :O

I only taunt when:

1) You do it first. Then I simply return the favor.
2) It lags immensely to the point when I can not even play.

The taunt was not meant as any form of insult or belittling.

I taunted first because your sick Honoka was kicking my ass as marie rose slut cop and I was like you got it dirty over and over then you killed me and went Peace! XD it was funny

KING JAIMY

I taunted first because your sick Honoka was kicking my ass as marie rose slut cop and I was like you got it dirty over and over then you killed me and went Peace! XD it was funny
Lol I can remember the fight vaguely I think. Ranked match on Ends of the Earth, on the top off my head. :p

Lady Tengu

Lol I can remember the fight vaguely I think. Ranked match on Ends of the Earth, on the top off my head. :p

It was haunted or normal Lorli or how ever it's spelled you were using Honoka and her "Milk" Outfit. I will remember it because your Honoka is very good.

KING JAIMY

It was haunted or normal Lorli or how ever it's spelled you were using Honoka and her "Milk" Outfit. I will remember it because your Honoka is very good.
Thanks I appreciate that. And yep that definitely me: Always C4 and sometimes C5. ;)
Also, why do you find that ''Peace'' taunt so shitty? xD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD