"Promise me, you won't tell anyone" Honoka General Discussion

Yeah her range is awful, she's DOA whiff queen lol, I swear I see her limbs go through the opponent sometimes, I find it so hard to reach CQC for pressuring without getting countered. Lately I'm finishing my combos with 6KK so that I can do 2p to force wake-up and keep pressuring, otherwise it's an uphill battle to get back to CQC without being punished, and you don't lose much damage anyway.

I'm going to do the Honoka/Momiji stream on Friday at 3pm PST.

Great to hear, a bit late for EU timezone but I'll try to adjust.

Yeah ive been using 4k and it's great, by far the best tool at mid-close range. I like p+k, p+k for getting in too, beats lots of pokes, gives you a great stun on CH and you can mixup 6t or another p+K when close.

KING JAIMY

Yeah ive been using 4k and it's great, by far the best tool at mid-close range. I like p+k, p+k for getting in too, beats lots of pokes, gives you a great stun on CH and you can mixup 6t or another p+K when close.
Yeah P+K is pretty good considering the fact that it is a natural combo, although the stun is not very deep and can be easily slow escaped. I think it has a better use for baiting holds, rather than to initiate your stun game.

synce

What's up with Honoka's yellow bikini? That thing is cameltoe city. I don't think any other costume in DOA has that 'feature'

If you have the gravure videos, pick that costume and pay attention when she sits. It's insane.

synce

Here I snapped a pic

holyshit.jpg

I'm not sure if her other costumes behave the same way, or if this is like a standard feature on all new bikinis. Will do some research later lol

Update: Yup it's just this one costume. Probably in the whole game too.

Last edited:

Kronin

To be fair even the virtual suits of Kasumi and Ayane present such "feature".... (*disappears from the topic*)

I've playing with the BKH stance and I've seen that with pp2k on hit, you can actually hold up to re-stand and punch safely, at least against another Honoka dummy I couldn't mash P or 6P against it, so it would open a mixup with BKH 6P that stuns (though it can be safe escaped), and it's on range for 6T if blocking. You can simply hold block backwards and honoka short range will miss it but pp hits, so it could be useful for at least keeping pressure, and having a pp string into low that's useful could make pp2p / ppk finally a bit more useful. I just hate BKH K that's such short range and leaves you open on whiff, and the rest of the options are mids. Probably I'm missing something here, but just sharing in case you didn't notice.

Dr Drake

So i played DOA on a small Tourny last Weekend and i had a plenty of fun after i played alot of KI and MKX latly.
But im a bit bored of my characters (Tina, Ayane and Lisa) right now. Because i play since Vanillia and i played them since doa2 hardcore.
Thats why im thinking about learning a new one.
And stuck between a few choices and one is Honoka because i really attached to her boobs. This is maybe not the greatest reason but is like it is.
So my question is she a Solid character or is weak overall and is it worth learning her then because i dont have alot of time thats why i want to choose wisly.

greetings Tim

iHajinShinobi believes she's good, and he's a top player so you should listen to him. Check his guide here for her: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/honoka-video-tutorial-by-hajinshinobi.5569/

I've been maining her from day one and I would say she's mid tier at best. My biggest problem with her is learning to live without decent mid/low mixups, she almost doesn't have any. Besides her range is absolutely awful with her short limbs, so prepare to whiff a lot, so she suffers a lot against anyone with long limbs or great long range moves (ayane is hell for Honoka). She doesn't have a GTFO move , so better be good at countering. Damage is decent though and she has a really fast jab. I'm relatively new to DOA5 so take my opinion for what it's worth, but for all those reasons she's not very accessible. Key for learning her is having a perfect knowledge of the range of her tools, since they are really limited.

For anyone willing to learn her my best advices are:
- 6T is your objective. Huge frame advantage that let you open her offense, amazing range. Most of your offense should be based on conditioning the opponent with close range pressure to force him to block and then 6T. Check http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/better-safe-than-sorry-honokas-block-dis-advantage.5554/ for frame traps.
-She has limited tools that are really useful. Stick to 6k/2p/p in close range (6p is good but whiffs a lot even close), 4k/3pp/1p mid range, 3h+k/236p/236k, p+k,p,p at long range. Running p+k/h+k are great from very far.
-Her best strings are ppp mixups, pp2pp/pp2k, pppk (frame trap), 3ppp, p+kpp, pp2k/pp6p, 6k2k/6kk
-She has fantastic mobility, great walk speed, korean backdash and really fast dash, so use that to your advantage. SS K is good too.
-Her execution level is very low, most of her more damaging combos can be learn in a day.

At this point I feel quite solid with her and I do decently online, but it seems to me that TN gave her lots of tools that were apparently really good and has nerfed her heavily just in case she turned too good. She didn't, or at least that's my opinion.

And yeah her boobs are fantastic ;)

Last edited:

Dr Drake

iHajinShinobi believes she's good, and he's a top player so you should listen to him. Check his guide here for her: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/honoka-video-tutorial-by-hajinshinobi.5569/

I've been maining her from day one and I would say she's mid tier at best. My biggest problem with her is learning to live without decent mid/low mixups, she almost doesn't have any. Besides her range is absolutely awful with her short limbs, so prepare to whiff a lot, so she suffers a lot against anyone with long limbs or great long range moves (ayane is hell for Honoka). She doesn't have a GTFO move , so better be good at countering. Damage is decent though and she has a really fast jab. I'm relatively new to DOA5 so take my opinion for what it's worth, but for all those reasons she's not very accessible. Key for learning her is having a perfect knowledge of the range of her tools, since they are really limited.

For anyone willing to learn her my best advices are:
- 6T is your objective. Huge frame advantage that let you open her offense, amazing range. Most of your offense should be based on conditioning the opponent with close range pressure to force him to block and then 6T. Check http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/better-safe-than-sorry-honokas-block-dis-advantage.5554/ for frame traps.
-She has limited tools that are really useful. Stick to 6k/2p/p in close range (6p is good but whiffs a lot even close), 4k/3pp/1p mid range, 3h+k/236p/236k, p+k,p,p at long range. Running p+k/h+k are great from very far.
-Her best strings are ppp mixups, pp2pp/pp2k, pppk (frame trap), 3ppp, p+kpp, pp2k/pp6p, 6k2k/6kk
-She has fantastic mobility, great walk speed, korean backdash and really fast dash, so use that to your advantage. SS K is good too.
-Her execution level is very low, most of her more damaging combos can be learn in a day.

At this point I feel quite solid with her and I do decently online, but it seems to me that TN gave her lots of tools that were apparently really good and has nerfed her heavily just in case she turned too good. She didn't, or at least that's my opinion.

And yeah her boobs are fantastic ;)

Ty for your answer. I think I'll check her out sounds solid enough for me. :)

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
After spending some extended time with Honoka, a character I've had an off again and on again relationship with, I have reached a point where I feel pretty decent with her. Then again, she's only for casual play and I would probably never use her in tournament play. I do enjoy her mainly because she is a CQC kind of character and using the copy & paste moves in her combos is actually pretty fun. Though, once I figured out the game plan with her, it made me want to actually use the characters she got moves from. Though a lot of the characters she have moves from, I don't really use, most notably Jann Lee, Zack, Christie, Bass, and Helena.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD