DOA6 Rachel & Version 1.17 Patch Notes

Team NINJA has released Version 1.17 patch notes and the update includes the highly awaited return of Rachel to Dead or Alive 6 and will also bring in the regular bug fixes, game changing balance adjustments, Season Pass 3 DLC and another free costume as a nice stocking-stuffer from Team NINJA. Rachel's debut to DOA6 was showcased by Famitsu and her base price will cost you just 5.99 USD with premium options for those that want more costumes. Take a look at Team NINJA's official website for her biography, and start a discussion in her newly opened forum here at Free Step Dodge!

Rachel Version 1.17 Breakdown

All of Rachel's unique moves from Dead or Alive 5 return, but the properties have changes on quite a few of them. Her 7K is a Fatal Stun, 8K can no longer provide a Sit-Down Stun but does give you a chance at the 2K Force-Tech stomp. 8P still offers a SDS after the damage threshold is met, and it also offers a new hit-grab option that can break through environments. This hit grab can also be activated after PP4P.

Because of the new Sidestep system, some players thought that her Rollthrough stance might disappear, but it has returned to DOA6 to add some diversity to your SS game. The P launch followup and tripping low can really confuse your opponent if Rollthrough is used correctly. The only unique attacks that are missing include her Power Blow & Power Launcher from DOA5 that doubled-up as a solid move with a hit-grab option.

Rachel also comes with some new tricks outside of her awesome looking Fatal Rush, Break Hold and psychotic double ninpo Break Blow. She now has a buffering Offensive Hold (63214T) that has three variations depending on the press of the input. Just using the command regularly outputs what was 6T in DOA5 while medium and heavy presses end in magical ninpo blasts! Her 6T is replaced with a new throw to compensate the change.

Rachel Fighter Card.jpg

We provide a few of the basic elements of Rachel in some quick videos for her: Command List, Combo Challenge, Costumes, Hair Styles, Accesories & DOA Quest options so it's always readily available whenever you need it.
When discussing design and costumes it's worth mentioning that most of them look really nice on Rachel. Her default costume & recolors showcase beautiful reflections and she really does look like a fiend slayer in her most iconic outfit. Her business suit also returns and she has a recolor for C5 that look very similar to NiCO's default colors! It's also great to see C7 return with brand new color variants.
Unfortunately her fiend costume inspired from Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 & Dead or Alive 5 (which was revered by many as one of her best outfits) was absolutely destroyed. If you want to know why it's no doubt in part to Sony's repulsive & disgusting censorship policies that have not only destroyed freedom of expression for gamers, but also the artistic design from developers and other creators. While it makes no sense to not have an option to turn it off you can for whatever reason make it look more unnatural by censoring it even more.

Version 1.17 Report

Truly, a lot of exciting changes have been made to DOA6 with this update and every character now has a Fatal Stun option! This is huge news and extremely important to many people that haven't had the option for more than 9 months with their character. For your convenience peruse this reference list of the new FS attacks:

• Helena Back-Turned 8P
  • Kokoro 9P+K
  • Hayate 214P+K
  • Ayane 214K
  • Bayman 9P+K
  • Brad Wong 8P in Dokuritsu-Ho stance
  • Nyo-Tengu 2P during Hiten-No-Mai
  • Raidou 214P+K
  • Phase 4 4H+K

Team NINJA's free costume for this update is for Hayate. A popular costume that debuted in Dead or Alive 3 now made available with new color variants. Out of all of the free costumes this is probably the nicest one yet, especially since his default in DOA6 is not subjectively a fan favorite. As of 1.17 the Dumbbell exclusive title quest is over so if you missed them they are gone forever. The Season 3 Pass has also been completed with Santa Bikinis. Who would have thought that we would go from the fantastic Morphing Ninja Costume SP2 finale to non-personalized Santa Bikinis for SP3s?

Lots of other little changes have been made to the game too. How do you feel about the new cannon ball sound effect after a Close Hit, community? Some people really seem to like it and other wish it wasn't in the game at all. Regardless of the little things, Version 1.17 is easily the most expansive update yet!

Hopefully the community can enjoy the new patch, new DLC & Rachel to wrap-up the 2019 year! Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas from Free Step Dodge!

Last edited:
Well I m 50/50 on this! On the bright side, I get to fight that Consuela from Venezuela again. So Yey! When is Rachel's release date anyway? I got some scores to settle! XD

Unfortunately her fiend costume from Dead or Alive 5 (which was revered by many as one of her best outfits) was absolutely destroyed. If you want to know why it's no doubt due to Sony's repulsive & disgusting censorship policies that have not only destroyed freedom of expression for gamers, but also the artistic design from developers and other creators.

The fiend costume could've been exclusive to the consoles that would've allowed DOA5 or Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Blue) like Steam or Xbox One. DOA6 had a Green Shinobi costume exclusive to Xbox One, but they couldn't make the fiend costume exclusive to get around whatever BS policies Sony place forward. It feels like DOA6 devs made a pretty dumb decision considering DOAX3 Scarlet release since Switch had more content than the PS4 release.

The only best thing for DOA is only release it on Switch & PC.

I mean, her outfit is obviously based off her sigma 2 alternate.

View attachment 29938
View attachment 29937

Which all of the censored outfits in DOA6 are based off of in the options. It's a small complaint. Overall I said one thing I didn't like and was bombarded with: "You wanted this character so bad" comments on social media.

I just think censorship is a disgusting thing and Sony's policies ruin everything for everyone that are comfortable seeing skin and aren't perverted. If I had it as an option it would be one thing, but for it to default like that? Gross.

Rachel's costume has nothing to do with Sony, if that was the case Ivy wouldn't be Ivy in SC6 and Christie's Dom costume wouldn't be in. Blaming Sony's policy for everything is a little much.

I think some of it is Team NINJA too (especially in these sense of how incomplete certain body parts look for the majority of the cast), but this wasn't the case with DOA5. I think it's just an example of Sony reinforcing the policy and making it worse as time goes on. I mean look at Jill in RE3.

Saying that I blame their policy for everything is a bit much. I could go further like: the PS4 is an archaic piece of shit that shouldn't even exist in 2020. If you don't have a pro you are fucked for DOA6 and even that thing is grossly limited. I'll go a step further and say tag might actually be in the game if it wasn't for the limited power of XBOX and PS4.

Read what I said again... I highly doubt Sony would force it on only ONE costume and let SC6 get away with similar costumes uncensored. It's not Sony, TN themselves made this change.

Also, your RE3 argument makes no sense when the original costume is preorder DLC. Sometimes developers change things because they want to.

It's not just her costume it's her entire look. She doesn't even look like Jill.

I mean that's a change Capcom made themselves they've done it in literally every RE engine game. Chris in RE7, Leon and Claire in RE2, Nero, Vergil, Dante, Lady and Trish in DMC5. Again like I said fiend costume is a TN thing, they wanted to make it cooler or whatever the famitsu quote is and instead it's brought this stuff up again.

Reactions: CFW
Don't mash as Rachel! Don't mash with Rachel! Don't do the thinking with your little thumbs! This is what I said, just like what I said, like I just saaaaaid!

The review for Rachel is finished. Great character.

The 1.17 report and new fatal stuns are listed.

I believe this article is complete.

Okay, so things are getting more interesting. The priority in my opinion is having a new stage and a new moveset (male, female, genderless, Maria-152, an animal, I don't care).

So who is getting his/her character next ? Are Leon fans as vocal ? Gen Fu 2.0 ?

What mechanics do you want ? I know some of you won't like it but actually liked CB. And the ground game must return.

When do you think we'll get new details about SP4 ? It would be nice to have an announcement around Christmas.

I don't think we need CB since we have fatal stuns, but it would be nice to have maybe another mechanic, like if the ground game is gonna stay the same, they could make heavy force techs possible with the character's Fatal Sit Down stuns. They could also make more ways to use side step attacks like maybe make another alternate move besides the knockback one to use for 1/2 a meter like a sidestep burst or something since the ss attack is useful but shallow.

More characters should also be able to use their fatal rush for attacks like how Nyo and Mai can cancel into stances or specials from theirs. Kasumi could maybe cancel into Hoshinpo or her teleport moves from after the 2nd or 3rd rush attack for example.

It’s irresponsible to blame Sony on a costume due to speculation then post an article accusing them of something they didn’t do. It’s misinformation and it accomplishes nothing.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD