Samurai Spirits/Samurai Shodown

Kasumi-Phase-X

Samurai Spirits Teaser Trailer

https://www.eventhubs.com/imagegallery/2018/sep/10/samurai-spirits-high-res/1/

"Samurai Spirits" has been announced by SNK. This appears to be a sequel or spiritual successor to Samurai Shodown. This also could be a reboot of the series.

The countdown timer on SNK's website has expired. As expected, this is a fighting game as most of SNK's intellectual properties exist within this genre.

Fighters are now rendered as 3-dimensional models rather than sprites. We can clearly see that this game is using the Unreal Engine in the Samurai Spirits website and at the beginning of the trailer.

Samurai Shodown was originally released in 1993. Since then, the series has had many sequels and spin-offs. In Japan, the series was always known as "Samurai Spirits."

Characters spotted include Haohmaru, Jubei, Galford, Nakoruru, and Earthquake. It's worth noting that this game does not appear to be afraid of showing uncensored blood.

This game is slated for a 2019 release. The game's setting will apparently take place in 1787, the 7th year of the Tenmei era.

As of right now, we do not know which consoles this game will appear on, though it's safe to assume that the PlayStation 4 is one of the systems as this trailer was revealed at the PlayStation Lineup Tour.

At the very end of the trailer, the words "stay tuned for more" were shown. We'll have to wait for more information.

Derock

You might need to change the title of the topic because its just focusing on this franchise not the other SNK franchises like Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting.

Anyways, great choice from SNK to start working on. Samurai Shodown/Spirits was one of my favorite 2D fighters after Street Fighter. I was super happy that SNK finally officially released V Special to the West last year, ignoring its "controversy" (the extreme violence ala Mortal Kombat, from the buggy Neo-Geo carts that removed the Zetsumei Ougis to its original release date in the happenings of Saesbo slashing in Japanese news). Bought that immediately, as I played the uncensored roms in emulators in the past.

I can't wait for more info. It looks like a reboot of 1 (with Genjuro appearing). Hopefully besides him, Rimururu, Kazuki, Soegetsu, Basara, Zankuro, Shizumaru, Cham Cham and Yoshitora are in.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
download.jpg

As long as she's in the game then its a day one buy.

Kasumi-Phase-X

You might need to change the title of the topic because its just focusing on this franchise not the other SNK franchises like Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting.

I thought people would be familiar with SNK since they were responsible for Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, and King of Fighters plus they did a cross over with Capcom since people are more likely to know Capcom vs SNK games. What I tried to do was combined every game that SNK makes into one topic, but since SNK has been doing KOF games...

I fixed the title so its just Samurai Spirits/Samurai Shodown.

d3v

I can't wait for more info. It looks like a reboot of 1 (with Genjuro appearing). Hopefully besides him, Rimururu, Kazuki, Soegetsu, Basara, Zankuro, Shizumaru, Cham Cham and Yoshitora are in.
Judging by the date given, it's likely a sequel to SSV (SS Zero in Japan), which takes place in 1786, and a prequel to SS1-SSIV which all take place in specific times in 1788.
DmvwRlYX4AAHqee.jpg

Other clues include the fact that you can see Gaoh (the boss of SSV/Zero) in that painting.
DmvxBP-XsAEzzhM.jpg

For reference.
latest

Last edited:

Derock

Judging by the date given, it's likely a sequel to SSV (SS Zero in Japan), which takes place in 1786, and a prequel to SS1-SSIV which all take place in specific times in 1788.
DmvwRlYX4AAHqee.jpg

Other clues include the fact that you can see Gaoh (the boss of SSV/Zero) in that painting.
DmvxBP-XsAEzzhM.jpg

For reference.
latest
Yeah, seeing Gaoh makes it very hopeful that the characters from V and V Special will be returning along the others who hadn't appeared like Wan-Fu.

d3v

That timeline placement makes it more difficult to add in SS64 characters like Shiki though.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Because those characters can't come into play until the events of SS64. 2 of them are literally not around until 1789.
I mean the sequels could theoretically have shiki in them as she could have been around during the prequels time(they are only 3 years apart) unless I am missing a big part of the lore and even then bro this a fighting game. If a character is popular enough ass pulls will be made.

d3v

I mean the sequels could theoretically have shiki in them as she could have been around during the prequels time(they are only 3 years apart) unless I am missing a big part of the lore and even then bro this a fighting game. If a character is popular enough ass pulls will be made.
Popularity didn't do anything for Shiki getting into V Special or Tenka (despite sprites for her already existing in SvC and NGBC). It's not like they didn't have chances to add her into other SS games, but they never did. Heck, V Special and Tenka were dream match games with no story, and she didn't make it into either (despite SNK having the budget to create new characters for Tenka).

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
God, if you're up there, please let Charlotte look easy on the eyes.

Sincerely,

Someone who once thought Charlotte was a guy and had an embarrassing debate about it as a kid.

Hayabusiness

God, if you're up there, please let Charlotte look easy on the eyes.

Sincerely,

Someone who once thought Charlotte was a guy and had an embarrassing debate about it as a kid.
latest

If they bring Kita Senri back, Charlotte will look like this (and hopefully in-game too).

Since Kita is now more popular thanks to Fire Emblem's arise, who knows, maybe she'll draw for Samurai Shodown again. I honestly hope so, she is one of my favorite videogame artists.

Derock

Hold on, there were debates about Charlotte's looks?
wut-dnnff6.jpg

Charlotte was fine when artists drew her. Now Amakusa on the other hand...

Fredi

That game looks awesome, is developed with the Unreal Engine graphics
I'm not a very fan of Samurai Spirits / Shodown series, anyway looks great
This game will be Samurai Shodown VII? or is like a reboot?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD