Some things I'd like cleared up

dramic91

So, I will be the first person to admit that, for the most part, I don't really know much about the intricacies and technicalities of the DOA system. I enjoy playing the game and like to think I'm pretty good at it. I main Brad and I've been getting a lot of flack lately about how he's a garbage character, how he's cheap, etc. Now I don't really think characters are cheap, but I'm wondering if this is generally accepted as true? I was always under the impression that he generally lacked a lot of tools and I've always had to work hard to win with him. What is the actual community consensus on Brad?

PLEASE don't move this to the Brad Wong sub-forum right away. I just figure more people will see it here and would like an answer.

Brute

Standard Donor
Brad is an unorthodox character, and at least by many he's considered on the lower-mid end of a tier list. Brad doesn't lack tools per-se (in fact, he has many of them), but they are not always obvious/easy to use. For example, many of his best options require a stance while facing a certain way, both of which can be slow-to-enter in a fast-paced match. He's a risky character, but a hard one to read correctly if used well (hence, why many are frustrated by him).

Online he has some cheap BS (namely his headbutt being un low-throw punishable with lag on block) and these tactics can be abused, but the same goes for many characters and a character's merit should not be judged by online.

Long story short: they're just sore losers. Brad is not a cheap character, and you should play him to your heart's content if you like his style.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I would definitely say that Brad's a good character, but I wouldn't say he's cheap. It's just hard for people who don't play him to keep in mind all his options.

David Gregg

I'm so tired of people saying things like "this fighter is cheap", "this fighter needs nerfed in the next game", etc... Spend that energy on how YOU can improve as a fighter or give suggestions on how you'd like that character improved.

Anyway done with my rant. lol. Ignore the haters and drink on. :cool:

Raansu

Online he has some cheap BS (namely his headbutt being un low-throw punishable with lag on block) and these tactics can be abused, but the same goes for many characters and a character's merit should not be judged by online.

His running headbutt is not throw punishable offline either unless its a grappler. Running headbutt is -5, 236p is -8. At least know what you are talking about when making BS claims like that.

TakedaZX

Beyond what has been said, I've studied Brad after having a terrible run in with a friend of mine. We got in a big argument over it until I broke it down. Turned out I was right.

Basically the people that call him cheap call him that for reasons besides this, but Brad has unorthodox hitboxes. If you don't know what a crush is, it's basically a move that allows the player to use a move that will make him/her invulnerable to moves of a certain height. An example would be 6h+k for Brad is a low crush since it hops over lows and a 2p would be a high crush because it ducks under highs.

Crushes cannot be stopped by anything certain mids at certain points in the animation or a true mid which is simply an attack that cannot be crushed. Generally true mids are verticals.

If you've faced Hayate, you know his dreaded cartwheel kick is vertical true mid. It cannot be crushed, yet I came across multiple situations where Brad did indeed crush it, not with his sideroll but with his attacks imply. Hell, once I even went straight for an 8P with Hayate and Brad used LFT (Laydown Feet Towards) P, and literally at point blank, both attacks whiffed.

This is the real issue with Brad. It creates an element of randomness that none has truly worked to understand yet.

But yes, drink on. Never let someone calling your character cheap deter you from doing whatever the [FUCK] you wanna do. In DOA4, people called ninja's cheap. Did I stop using Hayate? No. He was my shit.

The only time you need to stop playing a character is if you're no longer having fun.

His running headbutt is not throw punishable offline either unless its a grappler. Running headbutt is -5, 236p is -8. At least know what you are talking about when making BS claims like that.
Haha both of you are idiots(jk lol). Just like with Hayabusa, his headbutt can potentially become unpunishable at tip range.

His headbutt is potentially -3 to -5 from running. As for the stationary one, the possibility is -3 to -8, don't ask me why the margin is bigger. Generally it's going to hit at tip because the opponent is probably backing up. This is why I don't bother with punishing it with a throw. The idea is to put him in situations where he cannot beat you with his strikes but this is tough since he can crush mids easily from this stance. If you don't believe me, go test it yourself.

[☆ The More You Know ☆]

Brute

Standard Donor
Didn't feel like typing "with grappler characters" especially since that classification can be weird now namely in regards to Hayabusa, who as you know, I use.

Argentus

Brad has a LOT of variables and facts that both players (him and his opponent) have to keep track of due to his constantly changing stances. A lot of people just can't keep up with keeping track of what he can do in each stance in the middle of an actual fight, so they freak, calling him cheap because they can't read him at ALL.

Like, with Kasumi, she has, ONE stance, so you can go "Okay, so she can do this, this or this. I'll be prepared".

With Brad, it's like "SHIT what was it he could do from thi--fuck he just changed stances again, what was the moveset from thi---GODDAMNIT HE CHANGED STANCES AGAIN, was this the one he could do this move from, or was that the other stance, fuck!"

So yeah. He can overwhelm people who can't keep track of everything, which can make him seem "cheap" to them.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD