SRK: Community Matters – Or Why A Game Is Legitimate Only If There Are People Playing It

Berzerk!

The homework is well worth doing for everyone. It's a good attitude to adopt too, rather than complain about this or that, you do better pointing out the things you DO like and why you're a proponent of 1: fighting games 2: The fighting game you play most.

He is also spot on about "A rising tide lifts all boats" in reference to the focus on Street Fighter being good for all fighting games. I would say the same thing when DOA was in WCG/CGS, then later VF and Tekken in WCG before SF hit and lifted the grassroots fighting scene - ANY spotlight on fighters is good for all fighting fans, even if the focus title isn't your #1 game.

Good stuff.

Tenren

definitely a good read. Like the 10 commands of the FGC lol wait maybe we should actual make them

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
What he says has a lot of truth to it, but in order to have a community you need a game that people actually enjoy playing and competing in. Unfortunately DoA is plagued by DoA4 and its past drama and VF is plagued as being known as being "too technical." Sadly it doesn't take much to prevent a community from growing, but I think FSD has what it takes to get around the road block doa's community has right now, especially with the resurgence of doa through doa5.

VF is not too technical in any way. It's just needs to look prettier. Most animations in VF5FS are already redone and the game looks prettier, but it needs something more to attract more casual players.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
VF is extremely technical...

See? That attitude would repel casuals who show interest.

"Our Fighter is too technical. Fuck off."
"Well, screw you guys, I'll go play Mortal Kombat."

Just pretend the game is your average easy-to-learn fighter and they'll fit in just right after some time.

Raansu

See? That attitude would repel casuals who show interest.

"Our Fighter is too technical. Fuck off."
"Well, screw you guys, I'll go play Mortal Kombat."

Just pretend the game is your average easy-to-learn fighter and they'll fit in just right after some time.

And then you get a website like doaw... I'm not going to lie to people. VF is an extremely advanced fighting game. It doesn't mean it can't be played casually, it just means that to be relatively good at it takes a lot of practice, patience and skill...like any fighting game.

SF is fairly technical (it's daunting to me as I can't ever get in the right mindset for 2D fighters) but it has never stopped me from buying the games and BSing in them. Having a reputation of being extremely difficult/technical is not a bad thing (look at games like DMC and NG) it's just how the game is promoted. Sega never seems to try and VF has never been promoted very well in the US, while games like SF, MvC, MK, Tk get a lot of spotlight and publishers advertise the content fairly well.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
It probably depends on the budget as well, which would probably mean that it won't get any spotlight when you're not putting some of the budget aside for advertisement. Most AAA game have around 20% of their budget spent on advertising. VF on the other hand is probably not as high in priority compared to their Sonic franchise which gets high budgets and is advertised like there is no tomorrow.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Most animations in VF5FS are already redone and the game looks prettier, but it needs something more to attract more casual players.
If they implemented a training mode as meticulous as in VF4 Evolution, no problem.

As far as anything extra, it's about time Virtua Fighter implemented a visual story mode for each character. Heck, even a character ending with some kind of narrative would be nice. Of all fighters, VF's story had only been in paper. Given the content of the story though, it would make a nice parallel for DOA. But I'll save that rant for another day.

Lastly, they really should hire better voice actors. They have a few great Japanese voice actors here and there, but there's something to be said about the rest.

Megawarrior

SF is fairly technical (it's daunting to me as I can't ever get in the right mindset for 2D fighters) but it has never stopped me from buying the games and BSing in them. Having a reputation of being extremely difficult/technical is not a bad thing (look at games like DMC and NG) it's just how the game is promoted. Sega never seems to try and VF has never been promoted very well in the US, while games like SF, MvC, MK, Tk get a lot of spotlight and publishers advertise the content fairly well.
The only thing I've seen SEGA advertise is the new Sonic game that releases every year.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That's understandable as it has a much wider target audience range and much easier to market to the children of that range.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Plenty of grown ass men play Sonic games.

I didn't say they didn't, in fact I own Sonic Generations.

I just said that the market for Sonic is a wider age group than the market for Virtua Fighter, and it's easier to market Sonic to a child than it is Virtua Fighter.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
You should all go and get Sonic Generations. It's fantastic.

If they implemented a training mode as meticulous as in VF4 Evolution, no problem.

As far as anything extra, it's about time Virtua Fighter implemented a visual story mode for each character. Heck, even a character ending with some kind of narrative would be nice. Of all fighters, VF's story had only been in paper. Given the content of the story though, it would make a nice parallel for DOA. But I'll save that rant for another day.

Lastly, they really should hire better voice actors. They have a few great Japanese voice actors here and there, but there's something to be said about the rest.

I don't know about Sega Ar, those guys are real purists. It's like trying to convince an Amish to drive a car.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
You should all go and get Sonic Generations. It's fantastic.

I don't know about Sega Ar, those guys are real purists. It's like trying to convince an Amish to drive a car.
Surely they aren't so purist as to keep the same purely-shit voice actors.

I mean, Jesus H. Christ... how long does Lion have to suffer convincing people he's twice the man he used to be with THAT voice?

Relating to DOA, that's like convincing people that Jann Lee's battle cry is still badass in DOAD when he's not voiced by Toshio "Piccolo" Furukawa himself... and the voice actor hasn't even passed away, much less retired! (Please bring him back to voice Jann Lee... PLEASE!)

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Speaking of poor voice acting, I am now overwhelmed with memories of DOA2: HC's english voices, which is unfortunate considering all of the time I spent trying to repress them.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD