SRK: Community Matters – Or Why A Game Is Legitimate Only If There Are People Playing It

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm twice the man I was.

You guys should be glad you didn't get the Bloody Roar 4 treatment. Characters like Tina and Zack won't sound as retarded in doa5 in case TN keeps the same voices, though I do wish they brought back Bass' old doa2 voice actor for shits and giggles.

I don't know, part of doa's charm was the bad voice acting. Same goes for VF.

ScattereDreams

I'm twice the man I was.

You guys should be glad you didn't get the Bloody Roar 4 treatment. Characters like Tina and Zack won't sound as retarded in doa5 in case TN keeps the same voices, though I do wish they brought back Bass' old doa2 voice actor for shits and giggles.

I don't know, part of doa's charm was the bad voice acting. Same goes for VF.

I always thought DOA4 had great voice actions. Not sure about the previous DOA's. Now VF voice over almost unbearable

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm talking about the English voice overs, though. I'm not sure how to treat the Japanese voice over, but the English VAs did a pretty goofy job.

d3v

how did this thread go from building(re-building) the community to voice overs (were they that bad?).

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Well, you guys have to meet up and have good reason to do that. I mean, I'm gonna do that here in Europe, though that depends on what's gonna happen if more people show up.

Talim JP

Leifang practitioner
Premium Donor
It's been a long time, many other FGs to compete with... hope DOA can come from bein thought of as the big tit fighter with undies and be taken more seriously.
Havin those aspects does help to draw people but the game also has to be 'good' (so far it looks like TN are goin the right direction).

Many things depend on the #'s- if people show up to DOA comps and rep then the scene will hopefully grow from there.

The time to start layin the foundation is now, after the game comes out there will only be a few chances for the game/community to prove itself, if nothin happens from those then the ship will sink.

d3v

It's been a long time, many other FGs to compete with... hope DOA can come from bein thought of as the big tit fighter with undies and be taken more seriously.
Havin those aspects does help to draw people but the game also has to be 'good' (so far it looks like TN are goin the right direction).
Being a "titty fighter" shouldn't stop a game from being considered competitive. Look at Skullgirls, the game has been called out for it's supposedly "oversexualized" character designs but it's still be adopted by the tournament community

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Re-posting to the front page, because frankly I think it's time for a reminder.

GLoRToR

I'm sowing the seed in the mortal kombat community. I'll be honest here. DoA plays as a much fairer game already even with its flaws.

Chaos

Being a "titty fighter" shouldn't stop a game from being considered competitive. Look at Skullgirls, the game has been called out for it's supposedly "oversexualized" character designs but it's still be adopted by the tournament community
People misjudge the DOA series too quicky just because they see "big bouncy boobies" they need to shut the hell up and give it a chance esspecially since we have a DOA game that has way
better real competitive mechanics compared to DOA4.

GLoRToR

People misjudge the DOA series too quicky just because they see "big bouncy boobies" they need to shut the hell up and give it a chance esspecially since we have a DOA game that has way
MK9 has way more tits and nudity. This one actually has decent outfits that don't make the women look like sexual objects. There should be no problem here.

Twilit Ninja

The main point of this article is so important. It can't be underestimated. Game needs players, and only players, to make it viable. If people don't support the game by showing up offline, other players won't see it as legitimate.

You can't ask the Tekken or Marvel players to play your game, you have to support it yourself. If the numbers are there, the community will grow.

In a way, the bad online netcode might help, in that it might encourage players to go offline to get a better experience with the game.

argilium

i believe that one of the ways to get new players to take the game competitively and ultimately be a part of the active community is by putting out video tutorials especially character tutorials explaining the practical uses of certain moves, general playstyle, what tools to be wary of, etc.. while we were able to convince some people from our place to play this game, it's harder for us to really start considering how to get good at the game and make it a regular fighter that we play often when we do not have any technical reference.. i understand that the training mode is awesome, but facing tight schedules and some other games we also play, it's better for us to get good faster if we have knowledge.. getting good in the game is a primary motivation to support the game.. so far, this site has been helpful for providing some tech but i hope we could have complete guides for each character already.. it's kinda hard to often be redirected to guides for DOA4 or any previous title (when we newcomers haven't seriously played it).. we couldn't access the official game guide too because it's simply not available in our country.. i also find that video tutorials are more appealing especially if it can be posted on other sites like SRK.. it's kinda hard to personally teach the game when we are unsure ourselves given how much the gameplay is more polished in DOA5 and different from the previous iterations..

GLoRToR

I'd love to but I live in the arse of Europe with no offline scene or the prospect thereof. I'm happy to show up at any online tournament though.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Al
MK9 has way more tits and nudity. This one actually has decent outfits that don't make the women look like sexual objects. There should be no problem here.
All games especially in this generation have been setting sex cells. That shouldn't even be a factor. If it's wrong for team ninja to display Kasumi, Tina, & other female cast as a sex symbol & have sex appeal, then it's wrong for all the other games to do it as well

jinis god

Those same people bitching, need to understand that stuff is in there games too. tk,vf,mk. ive said that to people and ive been told back. "its in there but its not the same in those games." wtf does that even mean? guess what im trying to say its just petty.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD