Starting to train with Sarah, what do I need¿

Calintzsan

LoL..... damn dude thats mean.... you should launch them and put them out of their misery. :eek:
Anyway you actually don't need to go beyond learning move properties...... the numbers are just for player's who curious.....

And with that said.... trying to decipher what Sarah's moves will do to the opponent is tricky sonetimes.

XD

Well, I wanted to get even with Marie as a CPU because she was doing that sidestep hop way too much, so what I did was I reset her 4 times for 5 CB strings and completely destroyed her in one go. XDDDD I started using that tactic every so often to catch people off guard (1 reset, not 4 lol), but I don't like using CB that much since people try to hold those often.

I know there are players who can do well without frame data, but in all honesty it's a helpful system to know and understand your character well. I know it can help me improve to understand what is safe and what isn't if I couldn't tell visually. I do want to study it more over time for sure. ;)

Hmmm, I usually go by experience with what Sarah's moves can do, but that's probably because I've used her in like 3500 matches out of probably 5000 total matches. lol That's counting from when I first started too, so technically it should be 2400 out of 3000. You can tell I like using her. xD

Lulu

XD

Well, I wanted to get even with Marie as a CPU because she was doing that sidestep hop way too much, so what I did was I reset her 4 times for 5 CB strings and completely destroyed her in one go. XDDDD I started using that tactic every so often to catch people off guard (1 reset, not 4 lol), but I don't like using CB that much since people try to hold those often.

I know there are players who can do well without frame data, but in all honesty it's a helpful system to know and understand your character well. I know it can help me improve to understand what is safe and what isn't if I couldn't tell visually. I do want to study it more over time for sure. ;)

Hmmm, I usually go by experience with what Sarah's moves can do, but that's probably because I've used her in like 3500 matches out of probably 5000 total matches. lol That's counting from when I first started too, so technically it should be 2400 out of 3000. You can tell I like using her. xD

LoL damn thats a lot of Sarah Matches..... I love going for Critical Bursts constantly....... I use to play some characters that have two different Critical Bursts just so I can get them more often.

My power launch combos are lacking though.

Calintzsan

LoL damn thats a lot of Sarah Matches..... I love going for Critical Bursts constantly....... I use to play some characters that have two different Critical Bursts just so I can get them more often.

My power launch combos are lacking though.

Oh yes, that is true. Ayane tricks me with those constantly. Too bad Sarah only has one, but can do it from two different ways at least. Yeah I prefer using her all the time, but sometimes I need a break from her and my friends don't like facing her 24/7, which is understandable.

I would use CB more often, but people love holding them since they know Sarah has a mid punch CB. lol

One option that can get you started on Sarah's power launchers is after the launch, immediately use :9::H+K::P: (the knee will miss but the punch will land), and then you can go from there. There are other things too like :4::4::P::7::K: or :3::3::H+K::K::h:, but you get the idea. ;)

Lulu

Oh yes, that is true. Ayane tricks me with those constantly. Too bad Sarah only has one, but can do it from two different ways at least. Yeah I prefer using her all the time, but sometimes I need a break from her and my friends don't like facing her 24/7, which is understandable.

I would use CB more often, but people love holding them since they know Sarah has a mid punch CB. lol

One option that can get you started on Sarah's power launchers is after the launch, immediately use :9::H+K::P: (the knee will miss but the punch will land), and then you can go from there. There are other things too like :4::4::P::7::K: or :3::3::H+K::K::h:, but you get the idea. ;)

The good news is if people are too lazy to Stagger Escape you can catch them with the :6::H+K: Sit Down Stun and then quickly roll into to the Critical Burst...... this obviously never works on the AI.

Oh hey.... you know Sarah's :8::P:....... its got a weird hit box..... it hits high.... but when I perform a mid punch hold.... it misses even though I wasn't crouching.

Calintzsan

The good news is if people are too lazy to Stagger Escape you can catch them with the :6::H+K: Sit Down Stun and then quickly roll into to the Critical Burst...... this obviously never works on the AI.

Oh hey.... you know Sarah's :8::P:....... its got a weird hit box..... it hits high.... but when I perform a mid punch hold.... it misses even though I wasn't crouching.

Very true, but I've been able to get out of her sit-down stun easier than from other fighters without stagger escaping. Seems like her :6::H+K: sit-down isn't as long as others are. I've even had rookie players hold my attempt at that when I was fast with it. Could be that their mashing of the directions might have something to do with it, but I've conditioned myself to launch instead of CB in that situation. xD I still do it on occasion though.

Wait, so you mean when you go for a mid punch hold, you don't get the hold and instead get hit?

Lulu

Wait, so you mean when you go for a mid punch hold, you don't get the hold and instead get hit?

Uhn no.... its difficult to explain..... so you know I train with a Sarah mirrow match right..... I record the dummy Sarah to perform :8::P: on a loop...... so its a high punch... but when I use a mid hold.... the dummy's :8::P: keeps missing for some reason.

Calintzsan

Uhn no.... its difficult to explain..... so you know I train with a Sarah mirrow match right..... I record the dummy Sarah to perform :8::P: on a loop...... so its a high punch... but when I use a mid hold.... the dummy's :8::P: keeps missing for some reason.

o_O

Huh...I'm going to have to try this out myself. That's weird. The hold should land or the CPU should be hitting you, not missing entirely. lol

Calintzsan

I wonder if that has something to do with being in an open or closed stance.

Lulu

:confused:

Huh...I'm going to have to try this out myself. That's weird. The hold should land or the CPU should be hitting you, not missing entirely. lol

LoL.... thats exactly whats got me confused..... although I was standing on a slope when I did it.... it was on that stage with all the trees.

Calintzsan

That might explain why. Possibly the height difference would cause it to miss since you were technically outside of the attack's height range. It's weird, I know, that her jumping punch is technically a high punch when you can mid hold it, but from what I've experienced with several jumping attacks, some that were high were treated as mid holds when I countered them. I can't remember which one exactly, but there was one where I could hold the jumping kick with a mid kick hold or a high hold (I've done both) and both holds were treated exactly the same. In Sarah's case, when you hold a jumping kick, she does a spinning back-fist move. In that example I just mentioned, both of my hold attempts for the jumping kick resulted in her spinning back-fist both times. Not sure why it covered both hold types, but it happened.

Lulu

That might explain why. Possibly the height difference would cause it to miss since you were technically outside of the attack's height range. It's weird, I know, that her jumping punch is technically a high punch when you can mid hold it, but from what I've experienced with several jumping attacks, some that were high were treated as mid holds when I countered them. I can't remember which one exactly, but there was one where I could hold the jumping kick with a mid kick hold or a high hold (I've done both) and both holds were treated exactly the same. In Sarah's case, when you hold a jumping kick, she does a spinning back-fist move. In that example I just mentioned, both of my hold attempts for the jumping kick resulted in her spinning back-fist both times. Not sure why it covered both hold types, but it happened.
Those are Jump attack holds.... its always the same animation whether its a jumping High Punch or a Jumping Mid Punch. It applies to every character....

Calintzsan

Those are Jump attack holds.... its always the same animation whether its a jumping High Punch or a Jumping Mid Punch. It applies to every character....

Well I get that part, but my main point was that I went for either hold on the same kick and both worked, which is what I found strange.

P.S. I think if I remember right, it was Momiji's air kick from her air hop move (I can't remember what it's called, lol) that it happened. I know you can mid kick hold that (since I have done it several times), but for some reason I mistakenly held high not long ago and that worked too. I'm definitely going to try that in practice just to make sure, but I know I'm not going crazy here.

Lulu

Well I get that part, but my main point was that I went for either hold on the same kick and both worked, which is what I found strange.

Oh yeah that.... thats what I wanted to test with :8::P:..... which is kinda why I brought it up.

Calintzsan

Oh yeah that.... thats what I wanted to test with :8::P:..... which is kinda why I brought it up.

Hmmmm, tomorrow I'll be getting on DOA and testing out the stuff we've mentioned today, and I also want to make sure I have all of the cancel options available too. I'll let you know what I find out then.

Calintzsan

WOOOOOOH !!! :)

Alright, so here's what I discovered:

1.) About the :8::P: debacle, you can't execute a mid punch hold with her jumping punch. What was interesting is that if I got the timing right, the hold would duck underneath her punch on even ground. Any other timing for that would result in me getting hit for a stun, so we know you can only high punch hold that move. I'm not sure what's causing that to happen, but maybe the hit-box on that punch is a little weird, or it might be that mid holding at perfect times might yield avoiding high attacks. You were also on a lower elevation than the CPU, so that also means a higher chance of missing, since I did the same exact scenario myself and it was much easier for me to avoid the jumping punch. I will test this to find out on other high attacks.

I just did some more testing and it looks like Jacky's jumping punch can be avoided with a mid punch hold as well, even though you can only counter it with a high punch hold. Looks like being able to duck underneath jumping punches is possible with a correctly timed mid hold will work. I tried this against jumping kicks from a few fighters and could not avoid them.

2.) Regarding Sarah's bound move on Kasumi when you said you couldn't get :3::3::H+K::K::h: to hit is still good to go. You can land it, you just have to be quick. Now if you were to bounce Kasumi on the ground and then go for the :4::H+K: bound move and follow up with :3::3::H+K::K::h:, it requires distance and timing. You can get that every single time after a CB, but if you want to try it under a regular stun or critical stun, you have to move closer to Kasumi in order to get the :3::3::H+K::K::h: to hit. I just tested this, and it worked. An example of what I did was:

:8::K::h::6::H+K::6::H+K::6::6::5::4::H+K::3::3::H+K::K::h:

Kasumi wasn't even in critical stun when that happened, and I got it to land. This applies the same if you did just this:

:8::K::3::P::6::6::5::6::H+K::6::H+K: Crouch Dash :3::3::H+K::K::h:

The key thing is spacing.

3.) As for Sarah's :4::P+K: during Flamingo, I did, in-fact, test this against neutral throws and did not get grabbed. The throw whiffed like when I tested that move the first time. That move is also tricky, because she's not invincible throughout the entire animation. Sometime just before the animation ends, she's capable of being grabbed or hit, not during the animation nor at the start (although you can still get grabbed within the first few frames of initiating the move). She has a pretty good window of animation for the move, but unless your opponent manages to catch you within the first few frames of activation or right as it is about to end, they can't touch you.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD