DOA5LR Steam Version Delayed Until March 30th

The Dead or Alive 5: Last Round store page on Steam was updated today with an announcement of the game being delayed until March 30th. To compensate, Koei-Tecmo will offer the Halloween 2013 Costume set (All 28 costumes) for free of charge ($25 value) to all users who purchase Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on Steam.

Change to Release Date
In order to provide you with the best experience possible, the expected release date for Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on Steam has been changed from Feb. 17 to March 30. In appreciation for your patience, we'll be offering the Halloween 2013 Set (28 costumes) free of charge to all users who purchase Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on Steam.

Thank you for your understanding!

Previously, the steam version was set to be released with all other versions of the game on February 17th. Currently, this has not affected the Online Mode patch scheduled for the game within three months of release.

The Steam version marks Team NINJA's first attempt at a PC release for their games, but it appears they are being met with appreciation from fans. The pre-order goals have been met so the NINJA 2015 and Aloha packs will also be coming free to PC users where the console versions require specific retailer pre-order to receive.

steamsmall.png

You're acting like delaying the game because TN wasn't be able to meet the deadline isn't a possibility. Idk how you can comment on breach of release date contract if you don't actually know whats written in the contract or if there is even one for "release date".

A bone was tossed. Rather than pick it up and understand, you have decided to question the authenticity of this bone and its origins so you can continue on with your fictional understanding of Team Ninja's inner workings and desire to pump out a low-quality product. No more bones will be tossed.

This conversation is over.

Of course it'll always be on the client side. And that shouldn't even be important.

Jesus Christ, do people seriously do not know how games work?

Apparently not.
If it's based on last gen version it won't have the improved skin shaders or whatever, and might be missing the extra stages, hair, etc.

They also took down the preorder bonuses from the Steam page with no explanation... so far they've handled this about as poorly as possible.
Par for the course, at this point, no?
I know that. THats why what engine.
Shader engine is part of game engine. Today, everything is an engine, including characters. Makes it seem like it's one big massive gundam, instead of a 2012 corvette with a newer stereo and a better paint job.

Shader engine is part of game engine. Today, everything is an engine, including characters. Makes it seem like it's one big massive gundam, instead of a 2012 corvette with a newer stereo and a better paint job.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i mean by saying what engine since all they managed to do was add dynamic lighting on the characters, its like theyre refracting light on their skin.

Last edited:
One thing that really bothers me about the delay is the lack of explanation from TN. They could at least inform us about the current state of the PC version (telling us they're currently fixing some bugs will calm the steam community a bit)

Being silent will only bring animosity especially for those who pre-ordered from a 3rd party retailer.

Thats what i mean by saying what engine since all they managed to do was add dynamic lighting on the characters, its like theyre refracting light on their skin.

It's a bit more than just dynamic lighting. It's the same type of lighting they used for Lara's skin in Tomb Raider's Definitive Edition.

I hope they are putting TressFX in(you can kinda see it with that Christie vs. Sarah video) along with better shading and netcode. As many others said, they need to take as much time as they have to make this version epic.

I doubt it'd take a month to port when the languages they use are "portable." They surely have an abstraction layer for the same code on the 360, ps3, ps4, and XBone to run the same code. It really should just be a matter of getting that abstraction layer coded on the PC.

It's a bit more than just dynamic lighting. It's the same type of lighting they used for Lara's skin in Tomb Raider's Definitive Edition.

Yeah, the so called "soft engine" is basically what other developers call "subsurface scattering". It's a shader, that let's skin appear more translucent, thus warmer and softer.

skin01.jpg

It's actually not even that big of a deal and fairly common among current gen and PC games.

Hayashi likes to coin phrases. You didn't know?

Fighting Entertainment!

I'm a Fighter!

Blockbuster Stages!

One More Time, One More Fight!

Hayabusa, The Dark Hero!

Soft Engine!

Truthfully, if we could get Ono from Capcom to start saying these things and just casually smile after every one of them we would probably change our banner to those .gif's forever.

Unless if it was like the frost bite engine, the crytek engine, rages jon carmacks engine, Unreal engine 4, Metro last lights engine, and hitman absolutions engine they would be going through alot of red tape to go through it but wouldn't mind.

Last edited:
Yeah, the so called "soft engine" is basically what other developers call "subsurface scattering". It's a shader, that let's skin appear more translucent, thus warmer and softer.

skin01.jpg

It's actually not even that big of a deal and fairly common among current gen and PC games.
SO are you a dev or what.

My guess is that they're looking for terminology that they can then promote as proprietary, kinda like how WoTC is trying to do so with the "Attack of Opportunity" term (instead of "free Attack/action") for D&D & how Xerox prefers people to say "photocopy" instead of "Xerox". If it can be trademarked &/or copyrighted, that means $$ whenever a show or movie tries using said term. If a competitor, all the sweeter.

TN/KT could have arguably gotten away with the "I'm a Fighter" shtick had they kept to what DoA5 started off as, as opposed to the thing it became under 5U.

I wonder if the xbone/ps4 version use the GPU for physics, that could make porting it to PC more difficult than anticipated. Nvidia have been sort of hostile towards openCL in the past, some older high end cards are good in games but have terrible performance when gpu compute functions are used.

I wonder if the xbone/ps4 version use the GPU for physics, that could make porting it to PC more difficult than anticipated. Nvidia have been sort of hostile towards openCL in the past, some older high end cards are good in games but have terrible performance when gpu compute functions are used.

You'd be very surprised how similar the APIs are. Looks like the ps4's GPU is a... RADEON. Where have we heard that before.... ATI? Oh, so we're going to make ATI shaders... APU mixed into the same chip. Conveniently, XBone uses DirectX, so PC is actually going to essentially get the XBone version. Oh look, apparently the XBone uses an ATI/AMD chip as well. Isn't that cute? My guess is that if it's related to the shaders, they're having trouble getting the shaders in NVidia's shading language. The time frame of 1 month delay, would, indeed, make sense. The result is that they're trying to rush a complicated shader into NVidia format to make it work. If that's the case, ATI will be recommended specs, since they already have the shaders working (and hopefully optimized) for the consoles. Thus we can expect more crashes and slowdowns from the NVidia users (but this is all just supposition).

No, I'm a graphic designer. o . O I do however have basic knowledge of how to create 3D character models (modeling/texturing/shading), how that all works and how to animate characters. In the future I want to work in the game industry, but more in the field of 2D concept and design, not so much in 3D design.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD