Tōkidenshō died so that DOA could live

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Good article on the history of Touki Denshou ~ Angel Eyes ~, another fighting game released by Tecmo in 1996: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/angel-eyes/

Per that article, the credits for both games share developers so I wonder if the DOA team stole people? And maybe that's why TD was released in such rough shape? The company could use any money coming in so they had to release some kind of product.

Itagaki says "'Dead or Alive' literally means dead or alive" during that GTV Icons interview. Seems perhaps Tecmo put all their eggs in one basket and gambled on 3D? DOA concept art interestingly uses the title "Polygon Fighter."

Kasumi and Leifang fans have some interesting history to discover also. 麗華 can be translated to either Leifang or Reika. Seems like they started out as the same character. I wonder what other assets/ideas are shared between the games.

NKoxaYw.png

Ruby:
#    Name    English Name    Gender    攻撃系観    Attack Type    Style    Style    aka
1    ケンジ    Kenji    M    バランス系    Balanced    空手    Karate   
2    ケリー    Kelly    M    打撃系    Strike-Based    ムエタイ    Muay Thai   
3    ジャッカル    Jackal    M    関節系打撃系    Joint-Based Striker    我流    Tribal   
4    T ・バース    T-Bass    M    投げ系    Throw-Based    プロレス    Pro Wrestling   
5    龍麗華    Ryuhen Hua    F    バランス系    Balanced    中国拳法    Chinese Kenpō   
6    カスミ    Kasumi    F    関節系    Joint-Based    忍術    Ninjutsu   
7    ボブ    Bob    M    投げ系    Throw-Based    空手    Karate   
8    ルー    Lugh    M    打撃系    Strike-Based    カンフー    Kung Fu   
9    カラス    Karasu (Crow)    M    打撃系    Strike-Based    忍術    Ninjutsu   
10    グレーシー    Gracie    M    バランス系    Balanced    総合格闘技    MMA   
11    五右衛門    Goemon    M    打撃系    Strike-Based    棒術    Bojutsu    Stick Technique
12    M ・ハーン    M-Khan    M    投げ系    Throw-Based    モンゴルズモウ    Mongoluzumou    Mongolian Sumo
    ??    ??    ??    『パワー系』    “Power System”           
    ファン・フー    Fan-Fu    M            心意六合拳    Xīnyì liùhé quán    Shin'irokugōken
    フォンデイー    Fondei    M            太極拳    Tai Chi    Taikyokuken
    ギャツビー    Gatsby    M            サンボ    Sambo   
    カムイ    Kamui    M            忍者    Ninja   
    ティナ    Tina    F            ダンス殺法時代    Deadly Dancer

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Good article on the history of Touki Denshou ~ Angel Eyes ~, another fighting game released by Tecmo in 1996: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/angel-eyes/

Per that article, the credits for both games share developers so I wonder if the DOA team stole people? And maybe that's why TD was released in such rough shape? The company could use any money coming in so they had to release some kind of product.

Itagaki says "'Dead or Alive' literally means dead or alive" during that GTV Icons interview. Seems perhaps Tecmo put all their eggs in one basket and gambled on 3D? DOA concept art interestingly uses the title "Polygon Fighter."

Kasumi and Leifang fans have some interesting history to discover also. 麗華 can be translated to either Leifang or Reika. Seems like they started out as the same character. I wonder what other assets/ideas are shared between the games.
All of those wasted male character designs >.> Kenji looked hot imo and so did Lugh. Kasumi's original costume looked cool too, like a merge between Yuri from KOF and Mai

Derock

For those who are curious, here's some gameplay of Tokidensho.

Hmmm, I could see the reason why this game failed...

First, damage intake during combos increases, which means matches end so quickly. And from watching the first couple matches, there isn't any defenses (except guard canceling) to balance that out.

And then we have some characters in 2-D sprites and others in 3-D. Not consistent.

inochinagi

Standard Donor
YES!!! This was literally the last game I was playing on my PS2 slim before it finally died (laser issue, it seems). I wish it could finally get an English release, there seems to be more dialog/story than usual for an FG of that time (definitely more than DOA1 did, ironically).

Weird that it's a Hamster port. I guess it's the arcade version of it? I guess they just borrowed the license from KT? lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD