DOA5U ~Team BEST~ DOA5U Training on PSN/XBL

Kohlrak

I play Kokoro, somewhat. Add me and we can try to have some matches and I can give some feedback if you like. I finally get tomorrow off so I'll be on tonight and tomorrow. Same for @Kohlrak also. (:

PSN: Aelivia

I think i'll take you up on that offer. You have a mic? Eh, just tell me on PSN: you'll probably add me before I look on the computer again.

<- so jelly.

Why?

Kohlrak

How about we all just do a Kokoro lobby tomorrow at around 4 pm Central?

Sounds good to me. Who'll host?

By the way, in Jeet Kune Do spirit (meaning advice for an advanced player from a newbie), I have advice for you:

-You're a sucker for wake-ups. You try to get the distance, but you're just barely too short. I know that it's often considered bad to do wakeups in this game, but even if i get a better gameplan, i know to use them against you since they actually connect on you.
-Like most people, you have no ground game. Kokoro may not have a good ground game, but it's good enough i can hit you with it when i'm not crushing highs.

Early Acknowledgements:
Yeah, i know i'm still mashing a little. I need to work on buffer input, too, so i'm not doing this PPPPPPPPPPPPP6P. EVERY SINGLE one of those PPP combos sets were meant to be PP6P. (Part of problem is, i don't know when i can start pushing buttons again. If i hit, say, 2P PP6P, sometimes it'll do 2P 6P, which is one of my biggest issues with the tutorial and the combo challenge.)

Also, i have no spacing game as said above. I am working on it, though.

Last edited:

Cake

Such kokoro much psn very practice.

43721079.jpg

Ael

By the way, in Jeet Kune Do spirit (meaning advice for an advanced player from a newbie), I have advice for you:

-You're a sucker for wake-ups. You try to get the distance, but you're just barely too short. I know that it's often considered bad to do wakeups in this game, but even if i get a better gameplan, i know to use them against you since they actually connect on you.
-Like most people, you have no ground game. Kokoro may not have a good ground game, but it's good enough i can hit you with it when i'm not crushing highs.

Early Acknowledgements:
Yeah, i know i'm still mashing a little. I need to work on buffer input, too, so i'm not doing this PPPPPPPPPPPPP6P. EVERY SINGLE one of those PPP combos sets were meant to be PP6P. (Part of problem is, i don't know when i can start pushing buttons again. If i hit, say, 2P PP6P, sometimes it'll do 2P 6P, which is one of my biggest issues with the tutorial and the combo challenge.)

Also, i have no spacing game as said above. I am working on it, though.

Thanks for the advice, although, I got hit by your wakeup kicks mostly because I couldn't hold them most of the time and the range for wakeup kick is ridiculous. Seventy percent of the times, you went for a mid kick, twenty percent, a low kick and ten percent, you didn't kick, so it was easy to gauge when and which kick you'd do since you rarely ever tech. But yeah, aside from that, here's my advice for you from my observations:

Go into the lab and look at Kokoro's frame data.
  • You admit that you were mashy, but I don't think you understand how quick to hit buttons you were. I kept getting counter hit, after counter hit, after counter hit and hi counter striked because you kept attack from disadvantage and when she was unsafe on block. Kokoro's 4P+K / 6KP / 6PPP / PPP / 4PPP, etc., shouldn't be able to counter hit anything when they are blocked because they are negative frames on block. But, I noticed that you kept hitting the buttons PPP after most of those moves, and I kept getting counter hit when it shouldn't be happening. So, look into her frame data and see what has to be respected on block. For instance, her P+K is +1 on block so the opponent would have to respect that. But, for most of her other moves, you have to learn when to attack and when to block because attacking from disadvantage isn't smart, esp if you are trying to play legit. Offline, you'd be getting counter hit for trying to attack from disadvantage.
  • Wakeup kicks isn't exactly a legit strategy. Most players can hold them easily if online will let them. I would advise for you to try to learn to tech rather than rely on this. The pattern that you had was easily predictable so once your opponent reads it, you'll be getting your kicks held (if online can allow it).
  • Your spacing needed work and combos needed work also. I would suggest looking up Kokoro's combo videos and pick some easy combos to practice with to get started. Bushido created a Kokoro combo video. And, another member at FSD created a long Kokoro video combo guide also so I'd suggest you take a look at those for the time being.
Other than that, keep going at it and have fun in your session tomorrow with Bushido.

Tenryuga

@Kohlrak To add on to what to Ael said pressure in DOA comes from string delays and free cancelling in addition to frame advantage. If you didn't know what free cancelling is it is when you cut a string short before completing it. An example would be doing a simple :P: instead of a full string like :P::P::6::P:. When you free cancel strings many options become available. You can strike at another hit level or attempt a throw just to name a few. It is best to do this when a poke or move during a string leaves you at small disadvantage (in the case of Kokoro's :P: she is at -2 or 3 I believe) because that makes it harder for the opponent to react to your free cancel attempt and increases the chance of you scoring a counter hit if they decide to attack. Also if you are going to do free cancel offense and use strikes it is best to use your initial pokes because these are the pokes with the highest chance of scoring counter hits due to their speed. In Kokoro's case these are her :P: strings, :6::P: and :2::P:.

I'd like to see you try this in your session with Bushido.

Also you said you'd like to know when you can continue your offense. You can do so during free cancel offense and when you have your opponent stunned because you pick up frame advantage when you stun your opponent. You can also strike, specifically with your initial pokes, after making somebody block Kokoro's :P+K: and :4::P::P: or hitting them with her :2::P: since the latter two put the players in "neutral" which is a position where neither player has an offensive edge. You should also use your initial pokes when your opponent is at frame disadvantage because they are the most successful in scoring counter hits.

If you've any questions ask away. I'll answer them here and possibly be able to show you what I mean if I can get a chance to join you and Bushido.

Last edited:

Kohlrak

Thanks for the advice, although, I got hit by your wakeup kicks mostly because I couldn't hold them most of the time and the range for wakeup kick is ridiculous. Seventy percent of the times, you went for a mid kick, twenty percent, a low kick and ten percent, you didn't kick, so it was easy to gauge when and which kick you'd do since you rarely ever tech. But yeah, aside from that, here's my advice for you from my observations:

Go into the lab and look at Kokoro's frame data.
  • You admit that you were mashy, but I don't think you understand how quick to hit buttons you were. I kept getting counter hit, after counter hit, after counter hit and hi counter striked because you kept attack from disadvantage and when she was unsafe on block. Kokoro's 4P+K / 6KP / 6PPP / PPP / 4PPP, etc., shouldn't be able to counter hit anything when they are blocked because they are negative frames on block. But, I noticed that you kept hitting the buttons PPP after most of those moves, and I kept getting counter hit when it shouldn't be happening. So, look into her frame data and see what has to be respected on block. For instance, her P+K is +1 on block so the opponent would have to respect that. But, for most of her other moves, you have to learn when to attack and when to block because attacking from disadvantage isn't smart, esp if you are trying to play legit. Offline, you'd be getting counter hit for trying to attack from disadvantage.
  • Wakeup kicks isn't exactly a legit strategy. Most players can hold them easily if online will let them. I would advise for you to try to learn to tech rather than rely on this. The pattern that you had was easily predictable so once your opponent reads it, you'll be getting your kicks held (if online can allow it).
  • Your spacing needed work and combos needed work also. I would suggest looking up Kokoro's combo videos and pick some easy combos to practice with to get started. Bushido created a Kokoro combo video. And, another member at FSD created a long Kokoro video combo guide also so I'd suggest you take a look at those for the time being.
Other than that, keep going at it and have fun in your session tomorrow with Bushido.

Yeah. I'm not sure how to work on spacing, right now. When i get back from the foot doctor i'm going to try to see what kokoro's reaching moves are, since the last 2 people i've fought here use spacing alot.

But yeah, i'm having major issues with the buttons. I either hit them way too slow, or i hit them way too fast (and they don't buffer). I have some issues hitting 4 and 6 (I usually hit 6, but sometimes fail), too, but that's another story. On a side note, my mashiness was to try to do alot of lows. I guess i should trust 2P more, but i feel like it's slow and not very worth it since i can't get any strings out of it or stun.

Anyway, thank you.

@Kohlrak To add on to what to Ael said pressure in DOA comes from string delays and free cancelling in addition to frame advantage. If you didn't know what free cancelling is it is when you cut a string short before completing it. An example would be doing a simple :P: instead of a full string like :P::P::6::P:. When you free cancel strings many options become available. You can strike at another hit level or attempt a throw just to name a few. It is best to do this when a poke or move during a string leaves you at small disadvantage (in the case of Kokoro's :P: she is at -2 or 3 I believe) because that makes it harder for the opponent to react to your free cancel attempt and increases the chance of you scoring a counter hit if they decide to attack. Also if you are going to do free cancel offense and use strikes it is best to use your initial pokes because these are the pokes with the highest chance of scoring counter hits due to their speed. In Kokoro's case these are her :P: strings, :6::P: and :2::P:.

I'd like to see you try this in your session with Bushido.

Also you said you'd like to know when you can continue your offense. You can do so during free cancel offense and when you have your opponent stunned because you pick up frame advantage when you stun your opponent. You can also strike, specifically with your initial pokes, after making somebody block Kokoro's :P+K: and :4::P::P: or hitting them with her :2::P: since the latter two put the players in "neutral" which is a position where neither player has an offensive edge. You should also use your initial pokes when your opponent is at frame disadvantage because they are the most successful in scoring counter hits.

If you've any questions ask away. I'll answer them here and possibly be able to show you what I mean if I can get a chance to join you and Bushido.

I'm a little worried getting stuns in. The things i do to get stuns are either easily blocked, incredibly unsafe, or easily screwed up (PP6P). Anyway, i'm off all day today (tomorrow's a complicated story).

Kohlrak

I'm messing around with the combo challenges again, and i realize the last 4 have ALOT to do with timing, but i can't tell whether i'm too fast, too slow. I know i'm having ALOT of trouble with the buffer not picking up my inputs (i'm confirming them on the bottom screen). 7H 9P is only doing 7H. What's the timing on the buffer?

Bushido

I'm messing around with the combo challenges again, and i realize the last 4 have ALOT to do with timing, but i can't tell whether i'm too fast, too slow. I know i'm having ALOT of trouble with the buffer not picking up my inputs (i'm confirming them on the bottom screen). 7H 9P is only doing 7H. What's the timing on the buffer?
Just do 7H > K, more damage and less strict timing.

Kohlrak

sounds good, but i'd like to pass the combo challenges, too, as well as understanding why i'm failing them so i can do better combos later on.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
It's either tonight or tomorrow, I some things I need to take care of today. I'll announce things later today, however, so stay tuned.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD