Team NINJA is Planning to Reboot Dead or Alive and NINJA Gaiden

Some breaking news has been released today during Team NINJA's keynote at the South Korea G-Star conference by Fumihiko Yasuda that Dead or Alive and NINJA Gaiden reboots will be the future of the company after the release of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty & Rise of Ronin. The final image presented in the breaking story has been translated by key individuals in our community including @WAZAAAAA and @Matt Ponton respectively:

DOAREBOOT.jpg

Team NINJA's Future - Reboot of Popular Series - Images of NINJA Gaiden & Dead or Alive

There is a lot of information in this story, and we will break all of it down here at Free Step Dodge, but this looks like extremely positive evidence of a future and now is probably not the time to leave the DOA community if you were planning to jump the fence. We've been covering Team NINJA's Fumihiko Yasuda all year and he checks all of the boxes of a proper president: he's been honest, he's developed legendary games, he's focused on the present and the future.

We don't know all of the details yet, but everyone interested should be inclined to give Yasuda a chance after (in all due respect) the marketing blunder that Yohei Shimbori was vacuumed into as Team NINJA director and producer for Dead or Alive 6. Shimbori was put into a position where he could not excel with DOA6 and was unfortunately retired because of it not to dampen the rest of his career which was a legendary run on his part.

If we find out in ANYWAY that these translations are inaccurate, we will remove them, but as of now they have been double checked, fact checked, site checked and approved for this story release. Also, it's important to consider that the term 'reboot' can mean a wide array of different things, some elements that could have negative impact and some elements that could have positive impact and we ask that you consider that when discussing the future of the games. Seeing as how Yasuda has been as transparent as he can be to a global audience; this is a good indicator of things to come.

Last edited:
You guys are missing the point of DOA.

DOA has always been a fanservice and eyecandy title that just happened to have its form as a fighting game. It's about entertainment (which is something nu-TN picked up on when designing DOA5).

What throws people for a loop is when underneath the exterior is the fighting is good and feels great.

I keep reading how people are embarrassed by playing DOA. You know what's fucking embarrassing? When they showcased DOA6 and they press a single button to demonstrate how easy it is to do a combo. That's cringe.

You want a "serious" fighting game in a sort of DOA-ish style? Go play VF. It's got zero hot chicks and flash, but the games are excellent and worth spending the time to get good at. And they don't need any fan mods to be taken "seriously" either.
If people were embarrassed playing DOA & wanted a "serious" fighting game, should be the perfect moment to create a new fighting game to fill that gap. If Team Ninja had capabilities making new action games that isn't Ninja Gaiden, they should have enough ideas for a 2nd fighting game IP brand to fill the serious crowd or maybe try to develop a VF game.

Part of DOA6 single button (Fatal Rush) is honestly one of the most redundant control/mechanics they even included considering the Punches/Kicks are easier to press anyway.

I don't know about VF got zero hot chicks (which was a bit too harsh), because characters like Sarah & Vanessa have pretty hot outfits like Sarah's alternative (VF1), Vanessa P1 Outfit (VF4), & & Vanessa Costume A (VF5). I would rather have the VF girls than "Realistic" MK girls & Marisa, plus VF has customization.

Not these people whos entire idea of if a fighting game is good or not being based on if they are attracted to the female cast or not lmao, so “MK12 and SF6” are a joke…. Yeah nevermind sf6 looking incredible on every single level and bursting with style and content, not every single female character in the cast is designed to be specifically “attractive” so its a “joke”…mess. (Also your insane if your looking at characters like cammy etc and gonna tell me they arent good looking)

Whenever or if doa7 does come out i dont see this extremely restrictive focus image some of you seem to see for it where it has to be “fanservice game” and thats all it can be for some reason? Like it’s entirely impossible for it to have fanservice and also be viable competitively also well with any depth of mechanics?
There is a reason I consider MK12 & SF6 a joke when giving a reason why people should play DOA7, most importantly NRS female designs (began from MKX most importantly MK11) are a massive far cry from Midway era (MK3-Armageddon) & MK (2011) and their "Realistic" Female designs belongs in an era or country where females weren't allowed to have skin exposed of any kind, and for SF6 is mainly Capcom starting from SFV would've tone down content from the butt shots (R.Mika Buttslap, Cammy's Intro, & Chun-Li's Win Pose) from beta builds then listen to people who couldn't handle Juri's original design (which had skin exposed) and covered Cammy's Blair Easter Egg costume (also for SF6 Cammy's new outfit compare to her normal Leotard designs looks pretty bland which good news her SFV design is an alternative & Marisa being one the most unappealing female character I've ever seen here is link of a better looking Marisa plus its an anime artstyle)

Plus Udon are more cooler than Capcom mainly their Swimsuit Comics, & SF Duel has better females than what SF6 has so far look for Character Artwork (Chang'e, Diaochan, Athena, Bethany, & Hurricane Artemis)

Here is a hot take SF Duel Trailers looks better than SF6 graphics (the realistic graphics makes the game look dull compare to SFIV)

Females appearance should be an attraction to get players to into the game via $69.99 or Free to Download, along with the options of Season Pass & Microtransaction which create some competition. The reason I gave that people should play DOA7, I'm willing to put My bet is non of the other games would've did what I listed (even if its being faithful to the franchise, added in their Teen rating, or decides to increase the age limit).

The reason for the "extremely restrictive focus image" on DOA7 only being a fanservice game is to not only avoid the mistakes of DOA6 (because of how it was marketed, games costumes/features not matching with DOA5), but to be a proper successor of DOA5, to justify $92 on DLC/Microtransaction for costumes/features, & to keep TN/KT in the right path when making a DOA game (because popularity & wanting new players usually lead to them making unneeded changes on what made their games profitable these guys aren't very smart when they cater to people worldwide).
The reason to abandon focus on eSports/EVO isn't that its impossible to have fanservice & be viable competitively, it has more to do with the restrictions on what outfits were allowed in Tournament Play/Streaming from DOA5LR Costume Ban (at the very least I still have content at home), & ESPN wanting SF Player to switch R.Mika costume in SFV (despite we have age ratings). But most importantly on how Developer handle their game when it comes to getting their game in eSports/EVO there is the Famitsu Interview from Shimbori part where he heard an opinion that DOA "is embarrassing that girls are too sexy and play." which lead to him going to EVO:

That famitsu interview is where TN/Shimbori should've never done a DOA6 and should've created 2nd fighting game to solve the problem with people feeling "girls are too sexy". The focus on gaming events really ruins My interest in fighting games to the point I would want competitive events to have the same fate as Arcades (which they were out of business), DOA6 increased My hatred for the events, & worldwide/western releases.

• Star
Reactions: Rob
If people were embarrassed playing DOA & wanted a "serious" fighting game, should be the perfect moment to create a new fighting game to fill that gap. If Team Ninja had capabilities making new action games that isn't Ninja Gaiden, they should have enough ideas for a 2nd fighting game IP brand to fill the serious crowd or maybe try to develop a VF game.

Ding ding ding.

Part of DOA6 single button (Fatal Rush) is honestly one of the most redundant control/mechanics they even included considering the Punches/Kicks are easier to press anyway.

I don't know about VF got zero hot chicks (which was a bit too harsh), because characters like Sarah & Vanessa have pretty hot outfits like Sarah's alternative (VF1), Vanessa P1 Outfit (VF4), & & Vanessa Costume A (VF5). I would rather have the VF girls than "Realistic" MK girls & Marisa, plus VF has customization.
All Sega would need to do is make the girls more attractive. But that's just not VF's aesthetic. The characters are intentionally made to look generic.

BTW that wasn't a knock against the series. I personally like that "generic" style, has a certain charm to it.

There is a reason I consider MK12 & SF6 a joke when giving a reason why people should play DOA7, most importantly NRS female designs (began from MKX most importantly MK11) are a massive far cry from Midway era (MK3-Armageddon) & MK (2011) and their "Realistic" Female designs belongs in an era or country where females weren't allowed to have skin exposed of any kind, and for SF6 is mainly Capcom starting from SFV would've tone down content from the butt shots (R.Mika Buttslap, Cammy's Intro, & Chun-Li's Win Pose) from beta builds then listen to people who couldn't handle Juri's original design (which had skin exposed) and covered Cammy's Blair Easter Egg costume (also for SF6 Cammy's new outfit compare to her normal Leotard designs looks pretty bland which good news her SFV design is an alternative & Marisa being one the most unappealing female character I've ever seen here is link of a better looking Marisa plus its an anime artstyle)
100% agree on Marisa.

Plus Udon are more cooler than Capcom mainly their Swimsuit Comics, & SF Duel has better females than what SF6 has so far look for Character Artwork (Chang'e, Diaochan, Athena, Bethany, & Hurricane Artemis)

Here is a hot take SF Duel Trailers looks better than SF6 graphics (the realistic graphics makes the game look dull compare to SFIV)

Yeah I also don't like how SF6 looks either. Even some of the animations are terrible.

Females appearance should be an attraction to get players to into the game via $69.99 or Free to Download, along with the options of Season Pass & Microtransaction which create some competition. The reason I gave that people should play DOA7, I'm willing to put My bet is non of the other games would've did what I listed (even if its being faithful to the franchise, added in their Teen rating, or decides to increase the age limit).

The reason for the "extremely restrictive focus image" on DOA7 only being a fanservice game is to not only avoid the mistakes of DOA6 (because of how it was marketed, games costumes/features not matching with DOA5), but to be a proper successor of DOA5, to justify $92 on DLC/Microtransaction for costumes/features, & to keep TN/KT in the right path when making a DOA game (because popularity & wanting new players usually lead to them making unneeded changes on what made their games profitable these guys aren't very smart when they cater to people worldwide).
The reason to abandon focus on eSports/EVO isn't that its impossible to have fanservice & be viable competitively, it has more to do with the restrictions on what outfits were allowed in Tournament Play/Streaming from DOA5LR Costume Ban (at the very least I still have content at home), & ESPN wanting SF Player to switch R.Mika costume in SFV (despite we have age ratings). But most importantly on how Developer handle their game when it comes to getting their game in eSports/EVO there is the Famitsu Interview from Shimbori part where he heard an opinion that DOA "is embarrassing that girls are too sexy and play." which lead to him going to EVO:

That famitsu interview is where TN/Shimbori should've never done a DOA6 and should've created 2nd fighting game to solve the problem with people feeling "girls are too sexy". The focus on gaming events really ruins My interest in fighting games to the point I would want competitive events to have the same fate as Arcades (which they were out of business), DOA6 increased My hatred for the events, & worldwide/western releases.
Yup agreed on all points.

I honestly can't understand well what you wrote. But SF6 has been only getting positive reception, Marisa has been quite popular (and big muscular women is a fanservice niche as well).

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here.

Nailing the gameplay, making the game function well online and offline, giving it a good quantify of high quality content will not be negative for any fan, and it should be the main focus and nobody would lose with that.

But what you guys have been arguing for is turning DOA into something it is not.

Itagaki always stated he wanted DOA to be entertaining above all else. He wanted spectacle and action. So, he made sure those buttons felt good to press. Then the stages, the explosions, the impactful SFX, the impact of getting thrown into a wall and it blowing up. That's what makes it so good to play.

Funny thing is DOA wasn't really all that more risque than any of the other games at the time. They just used that to their advantage since the games looked and felt better to play than literally anything else.

DOA was never intended to be this "serious" competitive game, it was never meant to be "balanced" or the height of galaxy brain tactics.

Perfect Legend was on heavy copium about this very topic a few days ago on Twitter. He has it completely upside down and backwards, like most of the old "competitive" players.

Imagine unironically thinking that DOA would somehow be more successful without the sexualization and "anime" characters when that was what even put it on the map in the first place.

Kasumi-Phase-X is exactly right, TN should just make a brand new fighting game IP if they want it to be taken seriously.

I honestly can't understand well what you wrote. But SF6 has been only getting positive reception, Marisa has been quite popular (and big muscular women is a fanservice niche as well).

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here.

Nailing the gameplay, making the game function well online and offline, giving it a good quantify of high quality content will not be negative for any fan, and it should be the main focus and nobody would lose with that.
What I wrote are a response to others on what they've type, from TN should make 2nd fighting game for people who are embarrassed playing DOA, reason MK11/MK12 & SFV/SF6 are joke (which I typed that) because they don't have risque outfits (due to NRS doing it for realism & because Capcom listen to certain people who didn't like Juri's beta costume design that had bare skin which are covered in final version) and Capcom removed risque camera shots from later beta build & covered Cammy's Blair Easter Egg costume when it comes to why people should be playing DOA7 (which I mention in #215) like this for example:

Juri's Beta Outfit

Cammy Blair Easter Egg costume

A very good reason DOA7 needs to focus on being a fanservice game to recreate DOA5 success along reason to abandon eSports/EVO because tournaments can't allow costumes (that don't visually impact gameplay like visual effects or oversize costume):

The point I'm making is risque content & pretty girls (mainly what DOA has, not what NRS or how Capcom made Marisa) makes a game more valuable besides gameplay, and its worth DLC/Gacha money. Which DOAXVV has 4 Million Players despite being only available in Japan & Asia (rest of the world needs to use a VPN to install the game because without it you can't find the game), has better lifespan than what DOA6 got.

Actually gameplay stuff shouldn't be the main focus (at best a mandatory job), non-gameplay elements like risque content for an example is the one thing that makes your game standout more compare to many other competitors, most importantly giving fans what they want to see. Sometimes gameplay doesn't guarantee a win like VF5FS or TTT2 for example, non-gameplay element has ability to make controversary business practices work pretty well for the publisher like KT.

What I wrote are a response to others on what they've type, from TN should make 2nd fighting game for people who are embarrassed playing DOA, reason MK11/MK12 & SFV/SF6 are joke (which I typed that) because they don't have risque outfits (due to NRS doing it for realism & because Capcom listen to certain people who didn't like Juri's beta costume design that had bare skin which are covered in final version) and Capcom removed risque camera shots from later beta build & covered Cammy's Blair Easter Egg costume when it comes to why people should be playing DOA7 (which I mention in #215) like this for example:

Juri's Beta Outfit

Cammy Blair Easter Egg costume

A very good reason DOA7 needs to focus on being a fanservice game to recreate DOA5 success along reason to abandon eSports/EVO because tournaments can't allow costumes (that don't visually impact gameplay like visual effects or oversize costume):

The point I'm making is risque content & pretty girls (mainly what DOA has, not what NRS or how Capcom made Marisa) makes a game more valuable besides gameplay, and its worth DLC/Gacha money. Which DOAXVV has 4 Million Players despite being only available in Japan & Asia (rest of the world needs to use a VPN to install the game because without it you can't find the game), has better lifespan than what DOA6 got.

Actually gameplay stuff shouldn't be the main focus (at best a mandatory job), non-gameplay elements like risque content for an example is the one thing that makes your game standout more compare to many other competitors, most importantly giving fans what they want to see. Sometimes gameplay doesn't guarantee a win like VF5FS or TTT2 for example, non-gameplay element has ability to make controversary business practices work pretty well for the publisher like KT.
Hard disagree honestly.

Making the fanservice more tame is a good thing IMO and it should go back to how the series was pre-DOA5. The fanservice might bloat the number of players, but it won't do nothing for the actual game's life other than people arguing over who is the best waifu.

Also, Gacha is pure evil on its nature and every game that has it is worse than it would be otherwise, profitable model or not, no one should encourage such a shitty gambling system to be tied with the main series.

The focus on overpriced low effort DLc instead of delivering actual meaningful content has been plaguing this series since doa5U.

I'm not arguing for the removal of fanservice, but to make the series more in line with what the games were pre DOA5.

And don't come with the censorship talk, the same way they can increase the fanservice they can decrease it as well, no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

If you really still think that $100+ season passes (imagine paying for stuff that should’ve already been in the game at launch) are a great idea, you’re an idiot with a serious gambling problem. The ridiculous DLC pricing is one of the reasons why KT got a lot of backlash during DOA6’s short lifespan.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd go so far as to call gacha pure evil, but I do think that it's a terrible idea to make DLC acquisitions gacha-based for DOA fighting games. It would piss a lot of people off, myself included, and would likely received very negative press (probably even worse than the DLC practices for DOA6). People want to know what they're paying for - even avid DOAXVV players complain about the gacha, I see it regularly on Twitter and Facebook.

Now, if your intention is solely to find ways to squeeze as much money as you can out of customers, then the gacha idea is genius. Hell, why not add some subscription-service model bullshit too while we're at it! Let's add in-game advertisements for other KT products as well, on every loading screen - and make players pay to take them off! Isn't monetization fun?!

If you really still think that $100+ season passes (imagine paying for stuff that should’ve already been in the game at launch) are a great idea, you’re an idiot with a serious gambling problem. The ridiculous DLC pricing is one of the reasons why KT got a lot of backlash during DOA6’s short lifespan.
But the DLC pricing was just as ridiculous as it was in 5LR so it can't be that.

The backlash was the premium tickets to change hair color everytime.

Now, if your intention is solely to find ways to squeeze as much money as you can out of customers, then the gacha idea is genius. Hell, why not add some subscription-service model bullshit too while we're at it! Let's add in-game advertisements for other KT products as well, on every loading screen - and make players pay to take them off! Isn't monetization fun?!
That's the thing. KT is totally incompetent when it comes to monetization. They don't know wtf they are doing. They should hire me. I would be their Captain Ahab when it comes to whaling. I have some excellent ideas for KT to make bank.

regardless how to they handle the series next, I will still end up buying it (unless they get rid of kasumi)

all I know if they want keep the current dlc pricing, they need offer alot more then just costumes

I'm going to conclude with this, the player who spend tons of money on Season Pass ($100+) or Gacha (worth between$99-$600 to get any outfit maybe under if your lucky) on a daily bases gets the content they rightfully deserve, the one who thinks its evil deserves nothing like anyone who doesn't pay for the content they want. These business practices work as long as their is a costume/character that is worth supporting, regardless the usually negative opinions from people & negative press they'd give.

I'm going to conclude with this, the player who spend tons of money on Season Pass ($100+) or Gacha (worth between$99-$600 to get any outfit maybe under if your lucky) on a daily bases gets the content they rightfully deserve
Key difference here: when I pay for a $100+ season pass, I know exactly what I'm getting. It's guaranteed. It might be a lot of money, but at the very least, I can tell exactly what content I'm paying for.

With gacha, it's random. There is no guarantee. I could spend well over $100 and still not get what I want. It's not evil, but it's a pretty lousy way to treat the people that buy your product, and it will absolutely not win your company any lasting respect.

I'll buy the game either way as long as my one prerequisite is fulfilled, mind you. How much DLC will I buy though? That's contingent on how pricing is handled.

I'm going to conclude with this, the player who spend tons of money on Season Pass ($100+) or Gacha (worth between$99-$600 to get any outfit maybe under if your lucky) on a daily bases gets the content they rightfully deserve, the one who thinks its evil deserves nothing like anyone who doesn't pay for the content they want. These business practices work as long as their is a costume/character that is worth supporting, regardless the usually negative opinions from people & negative press they'd give.
Or you know, they could deliver content on the launch game like DOA2U does and then add meaningful and fairly priced dlcs.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD