Team Ninja Twitter

Raansu

TN has been posting on twitter a lot lately so I figured we could keep up with the updates here and talk about the doa5 related tweets. Plus they haven't been translating the last few tweets, so hopefully we can get some help with translations as well since my Japanese is terrible.

Their last few tweets have been talking about being able to select different announcer voices, but the one they just posted today has me really confused.
ninja-gaiden-3-first-concept-art_normal.jpg

TeamNINJAStudio Team NINJA

今回は三択にしようかな・・・四択にしようかな・・・。
All I can pick out of this is something about options of 3 or 4. It doesn't really seem to give any context, but reading through some of the replies from other people tweeting, it seems like they are talking about defensive hold options and if they should use a 3 or 4 point hold. Or I could be reading too much into it and they are referring to doa3 or 4? I don't know for sure. Mr Wah's Japanese is better than mine, so hopefully he can clarify more on it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah, they're just asking for what they should do between a 3-point or 4-point hold system.

I recommended to them in the questions and feedback that it be 3-point out of stun parries and 4-point in-stun holds, with mid kick being either :6::6: or :4::6:. I told them it made sense to do a :6: for all four points as you can just say "Press :6: to do an advanced hold".

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I personally felt it was too much to have a four/six point system. I understand Team NINJA's point of view of trying to not confuse the user. Honestly, it was mainly because I predicted that they would think it's too much so I just lessened my suggestion to compromise and try to offer the solution of keeping both a 3 and 4 point system.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
This is where my view differs from Wah's.

Personally I think it should be 3 point parry out of stun, 6 point hold in stun.

I already do this with Bayman in DOA 4. It's still effective in stopping people and causing damage, but you really have to be reading them right for it to work. Mid punches are obviously the easiest to catch, high kicks being the hardest.

The important thing is that it keeps you honest, and no other hold system does.

Raansu

I personally like the 4 point hold system. It needs some adjustments by adding longer recoveries to the hold or by adding unholdable situations, but overall I prefer the 4 point hold system as the 3 point hold in doad had me ripping my hair out at times.

Berzerk!

I saw your feedback to TN Rikuto, well put, though I also come down on the side of 4-point hold. I think that's as complex as it needs to get.

The idea of splitting out parries and advanced holds between out of stun/in stun is interesting and I'd like them to experiment with that.

The main thing is that if the current basis for holds is kept, it can work very well if they balance the active window and recovery windows; easily done by advancing the work they did in DOAD.

Raansu: Right with you on all points there.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I keep hearing "6-point" and "complex" mentioned quite often in dangerous proximity.

You guys need to seriously go play bayman or leifang in DOA 4 for a week and tell me it's complex. I assure you, it isn't. The idea is far scarier than the application.

I won't throw 4-point under the bus. It is only acceptable if they cut that fucking active window in half though.

You try countering with dragunov in tekken and you get maybe a 6 frame active window, massive recovery, and it does around 15% lifebar. And you can CHICKEN that shit to get out of it.

People need to man up already with this game. Counters shouldn't even be half as good as they are.

Raansu

I agree that defensive holds need to have a higher risk but I just see 6 point holds as completely unnecessary. I personally don't think it's complex, but it may put off some players. To me it's just an input though, and I want to see them mess more with how the tool is implemented more so than the inputs. I've talked to Rikuto about it earlier, and I agree with what he's saying, but I just would rather see them make the tool more risky as in longer recoveries and unholdables instead of adding more inputs.

Raansu

Guess is a guess, there's always going to be guessing when defensive holds are involved. That's why I also want some sort of frame advantage in certain situations that make the defender unable to do a defensive hold.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I support that as well, although obviously not every character would have that kind of tool.

Just saying, the only way to reduce the effectiveness of a guess screwing you over is to reduce the probability of it actually working.

Raansu

Arrgh too much Kanji <_> Something along the line of having a discussion with the director about the hold and that he's enthusiastic

ninja-gaiden-3-first-concept-art_normal.jpg

TeamNINJAStudio Team NINJA

議論中、ディレクターが、ホールドだけじゃなく、システムを隅々見直して、快適でバランスのとれた正統進化をさせる!と息巻いていました。ぜひ公約として、ともに実現してゆきましょう。

"During discussion, we reviewed every corner of the system with balance of evolution and comfort"

Kind of a crude and simplified translation, but its pretty much saying they spoke of the hold system and are reviewing every corner to find a legitimate balance of evolving the system as well as keeping comfort.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Translations up for yesterday's Japanese tweets:

TeamNINJAStudio said:
Mr. Hayashi has been having heated discussions with the director about holds.
The director's getting pretty worked up too. We're trying some of the ideas out.
In the debate, the director got all angry and made a declaration...
"It's not just about holds! I will look over everything! I will make this a fun, balanced, legit evolution!"
So there's the pledge from the director and producer.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
A pledge out of frustration and anger usually leads to reckless actions.

I hope whatever is done here isn't half-hearted, and done at a time when the director cools his head.

HokutoNoBen

Well, you have to admire what appears to be legit passion, to say the least.

Definitely interested in seeing where they go next for this game, certainly.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm happy to see they are taking these criticisms seriously...

At the very least, it sounds like counters are getting a nerf =)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD